Warm clothes: What do you wear?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

3fj

Warm clothes: What do you wear?

Postby 3fj » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:13 pm UTC

So, its winter. You're cold, so you reach into your wardrobe/cupoboard/suitcase for warm clothes.

What do you pull out? Does it match?

Currently, i'm dressed in:
-White housecoat
-Blue knit gloves with diffrent coloured fingers
-Black T-Shirt
-Grey PJ bottoms
-Mr Grumpy slippers.

Completely missmatched. But who gives a fuck? It's warm!
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

popprocks

Re: Warm clothes: What do you wear?

Postby popprocks » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:38 pm UTC

Layers. So many layers. None of them matching, simply cold-shields. Something like:

Socks-->more socks-->boxers-->jeans-->sweatpants-->shoes

then

t-shirt-->thin long-sleeve under-armor (or something similar)-->sweatshirt-->coat

Gloves

Hat.

I'm very underweight for my height (122 lb at 6'2), so all of that layering is indeed necessary to do something like camping in the winter or shoveling twelve inches of snow. If each layer were transparent, I would look as if a handicapped person dressed me, but this is acceptable because at the end of the day, you only see maybe three or four pieces anyway :roll:

In a related story, my bed consists of: frame, matress, matress, featherbed, me, sheet, blanket, down comforter, down comforter, down comforter, and a sleeping bag completely unzipped to form another kind of blanket. I also bathe in water that oozes steam at a temperature that turns my skin a soft red (and also puts my blood pressure through the roof).

I guess you could say I feel more comfortable in extreme warmth.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:51 pm UTC

3fj wrote:So, its winter. You're cold, so you reach into your wardrobe/cupoboard/suitcase for warm clothes.

What do you pull out? Does it match?

Only in the Northern Hemisphere.

My winter clothing differs from my summer clothing via the addition of a flannel shirt of some description. Like this, only I look nothing like that, nor do I pose in .. barns, I guess.

Also, my flannels are far more hideous.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:54 pm UTC

In winter, my jeans and overshirts usually have a flannel lining. In addition, I'm currently wearing a scarf, and I wear a coat out-of-doors. I generally wear a hat of slightly heavier material.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
3fj wrote:So, its winter.

Who said it was winter now? I was engaging in hypotheticals.

Or at least, thats my excuse.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

ethraax

Postby ethraax » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:01 pm UTC

For outside, I wear the same thing I always wear (cargo pants, random t-shirt with a witty, non-offensive saying on it, sweatshirt) except I add a really poofy winter coat. Sometimes I wear a wool hat, if I'm going far. I only wear gloves if I'm shoveling snow.

Inside, I wear this felt thing. It's like a rectangle with sleeves and holes for my feet and head.
Meowgan wrote:It's just like knitting, but with less knitting.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

3fj wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:
Who said it was winter now
Silly 3fj. Everyone knows they don't have winter in the Southern Hemisphere.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

wst

Postby wst » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

Top:
Wooly hat.
Tshirt->Long-sleeved Tshirt->Scarf (kinda around face, tucked into next layer)-> Big thick black zip hoody with woolen liner.
And jeans for bottoms. Unless it's really cold, when I don't go out. Also, it doesn't really get cold enough here to need more for normal use. If I could get some, woolen skintight longjohns would be nice. Or a cotton unitard, for extremer coldness. That would be with the other clothes mentioned, then some boots and a waterproof jacket/trouser combo.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

paora42

Postby paora42 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

My nice warm bed...

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

A sweater. Generally a zipper in the front sweater. I need a good hoodie, but currently I have a hoodless hoodie...

If I'm going outside, then jacket etc.

I really need a nice jacket. Like a long black trenchcoat. Or... well anything nice. My current one is ugly.
I also want matching hat/gloves. Cause I'm a loser that way.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:35 pm UTC

In nice and cold Michigan winter I wear a shirt, sweatshirt, pants, and some flip flops. Only time I wear shoes is on days I have Chem Lab :D
Rawr!

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:38 pm UTC

Generally just a jacket or sweatshirt. It never really gets cold enough for much else in Louisiana. At least not on a regular basis. This causes my grandmother no end of grief, but compared to, say, Boston, this is nothing. Still not fun, but definitely bearable.

I dislike the cold. Maybe that's why I like living here.
Insert witty phrase here.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:40 pm UTC

I just don't take off my winter trenchcoat and boots. If my head is feelin' it, I might keep on my fedora. They match because they are all black. Underneath said coat, I'm wearing a t-shirt and khaki pants.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:36 pm UTC

Melbourne is too crazy to have all its cold days in winter. So my summer and winter clothes overlap a lot. For instance, last week we had a 15C-ish day followed by a 40C day (low temperature slightly exaggerated).

I go for a layered approach: Thermals (optional) -> Shirt -> Second Shirt (only if it's *#@&$ing cold) -> Jacket.

In Summer I drop the thermals and maybe the jacket.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Zug-Zug

Postby Zug-Zug » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:44 pm UTC

I thought I'd make a sort of collage what an observer would see, so here goes:

Black Cotton-ish Long-Coat
Think Scarf
Dark Blue Jeans (the type that stains white couches when they're new...)
Comfy Boots (sneakers don't do it for me in this weather)
Fingerless Gloves (I haven't mastered flipping pages with proper gloves)

Funnily enough, during warmer weather, I wear clothes with pretty bright colors, in contrast with all this poetical blackness of winter.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:06 am UTC

Luthen wrote:Melbourne is too crazy to have all its cold days in winter. So my summer and winter clothes overlap a lot. For instance, last week we had a 15C-ish day followed by a 40C day (low temperature slightly exaggerated).

That exaggeration better be "I thought i'd multiply the temprature by 15". It is currently -2C here, with an average of around 1C :(

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:09 am UTC

Today I went to my brother's house [we were going to snowmobile but we didn't end up having time] and I wore:
- White tank top
- Thing, long-sleeved green shirt
- Green t-shirt
- Boyfriend's huge blue t-shirt
- Blue sweatshirt
- Blue and white winter jacket

Plus, my jeans, and two pairs of socks. I looked like an obese marshmallow, with shoes.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:09 am UTC

Same thing I've worn the last two winters. Blue Jeans, t-shirt, and leather jacket.
Live with passion. Die with passion.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:15 am UTC

I second the crazy Melbourne weather, but it rarely gets anywhere under 2C during the day even in winter. My clothing always revolves around pockets, so I'll often wear thermals and cords or jeans with nice big pockets, a short sleeve shirt, long sleeve button shirt (with breast pockets), then either a hoodie or sweater with jacket.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:36 am UTC

I wear flannel pajamas under my jeans. It is the most comfortable solution I have ever tried and it works great for keeping the wind out.

DrProfessorPhD

Postby DrProfessorPhD » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:40 am UTC

T shirt, Jeans, and a Jacket. I live in AZ, my lows are only in the 40s (F).
I am probably a swordfighting octopus. In case you can't tell.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:46 am UTC

Jeans and a T-Shirt. Always. Even to work (conveniently, my "uniform" is basically that plus a belt and hat...I hate belts and hats though...)

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:57 am UTC

Cold at home: Moccasins, socks, tracksuit pants, tshit, jumper.
I live in Melbourne so it never gets too cold, never gets down to snowing temperature.
Also it's summer here at the moment, and I'm at work so right now calf length boots, skirt to about the top of my boots, formal work type top over an old tank top :P

Went to America last year duing the US winter ;_; so cold. So many layers, how can you stand having to take off 2 jackets, gloves and a hat every time you enter a building
ImageImageImageImageImage

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:06 am UTC

The trick is to ignore the cold.

justrandomwords

Postby justrandomwords » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:34 am UTC

Thermal underwear and wool socks are a standard starting point. Then for going out there's jeans, a few layers of sweaters, a scarf (that is the key part), thin gloves then thick mittens, a hat, and a nice wool peacoat. A hat can also be useful around the house or when going to bed if need be. A second pair of wool socks.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:24 am UTC

3fj wrote:
Luthen wrote:Melbourne is too crazy to have all its cold days in winter. So my summer and winter clothes overlap a lot. For instance, last week we had a 15C-ish day followed by a 40C day (low temperature slightly exaggerated).
That exaggeration better be "I thought i'd multiply the temprature by 15". It is currently -2C here, with an average of around 1C :(
But it's also winter in Scotland. Though 15 is fairly average for a winter's day.

EDIT: My brain just read I'd multiply the temperature by 15" as multiplying by 15 inches.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:13 am UTC

DrProfessorPhD wrote:T shirt, Jeans, and a Jacket. I live in AZ, my lows are only in the 40s (F).

I wear the same, but the lows get below below zero (fahrenheit ftw). You just gotta ignore the cold and get used to it. You body adapts to the cold very quickly.
Live with passion. Die with passion.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:30 am UTC

I usually wear long underwear over my underwear and under whatever pants I'm wearing. then a t-shirt, because I'm fat and thus my body is kept quite warm. My torso doesn't get cold until it gets into the single digits degrees Fahrenheit, so I usually walk outside with my coat unzipped to prevent overheating.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

micco

Postby micco » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:52 am UTC

On my head I wear a thin, wind resistant beanie and headphones. If temperature gets below -15C thicker beanie.
Upper body: T-shirt -> Pullover -> M-65 jacket with liner. If the temperature gets below -20C: Long sleeved undershirt -> pullover -> quilted jacket.
Legs: Long underpants -> M-65 pants (with liner, if temperature gets below -5C). If temperature is below -20C: Long underpants -> quilted pants.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

mmx49

Postby mmx49 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:12 am UTC

Seeing as I usually don't have to spend much time outside, I can get away with just wearing a fleece jacket. We're in the middle of a nasty cold snap at the moment (high of minus 15-5 degrees F, that kinda thing...), so this policy may soon be altered.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:21 am UTC

it depends. right now, I have a big t-shirt on for sleepy time...even though I'm not sleeping. it's warm in the dorms, so i don't need super warm stuff.

when i go outside, if it's freezing down through the 20's ('fantasy units', ~ -7C) I have a long sleeve shirt, a coat, jeans, knee socks, and either tennis shoes or snow boots (depending on if there's a lot of snow outside), along with the female underwear and maybe a scarf, earmuffs, and gloves.

the colder it gets, the more layers and the heavier the coat. sweaters, thermals, ski coats rated to -40F/C (ahhh!!! the magical, "it doesn't matter what scale you're using temperature!), gloves rated for the same temperatures, tank tops under t-shits under long sleeves under sweaters under said coat...

I have entered the part of the year when I get excited when the temperature reaches positive double digits in the Fahrenheit scale...
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:38 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
3fj wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:
Who said it was winter now
Silly 3fj. Everyone knows they don't have winter in the Southern Hemisphere.

we certainly don't.

At least, no really inhabited areas experience a real winter. 20 degrees (celsius for those who don't understand) or so is not even a particularly warm day in winter. If it stays under 10 during the day people will basically be panicking in these parts.

that said, when wandering around in the snow at Canadian resorts, I seem to be alright in just a pair of jeans, jacket and a beanie. Gloves if it's a cold night. I think it's overall way too hot where I live.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:46 am UTC

Top down:
Headscarf. Or hat, for as long as I can stand it (off when it gets too itchy, on when it gets too cold).
Long, wide, fuzzy neckscarf, wrapped around 2-3 times.
Bra, tshirt, cardigan (with high neck or hood), jacket, wool gloves.
Undies, silk longjohns, pants.
Socks, shoes.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Eleni

Postby Eleni » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:59 am UTC

paora42 wrote:My nice warm bed...
Nice. If only it were more portable. Wish I could take mine into work.

I wear...
Snow boots over wool socks over other socks.
Long underwear under my pants, snow pants if I'm going to be trudging in the snow.
Long sleeve shirt under a wool sweater or fleece top, preferably with a turtle neck. My trusty winter parka.
A scarf.
Wool mittens.
And my beloved fleece-lined wool hat.
Ready for winter play!
http://rpgcalledlife.blogspot.com/
(aka "Maybe if my blog is witty enough someone will finally love me")

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:07 am UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, that's about all I need.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

asad137

Postby asad137 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:33 am UTC

Well, here in Minneapolis it's often below 0 F (~-18 C). Usually these days I wear a t-shirt, fleece or hoodie, wool scarf, and a wool coat (either a mid-length or full-length, depending). On the bottom, just underwear and pants, plus socks and some warm boots. Fingerless (well, thumb-plus-two-finger-less) gloves.

I don't wear hats.

Asad
Last edited by asad137 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

GuitarFreak

Postby GuitarFreak » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:42 am UTC

T-shirt, hoodie, geek hat from thinkgeek, jeans, socks, and my DC's. When it gets ~15 degrees or so, I'll throw on gloves. That's about all I need to keep warm.
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:51 am UTC

I still shake my head when I read about how stupidly cold it gets elsewhere in the world.

During the colder months here I wear an undershirt. In summer, forget it.
If it's cold enough, I grab a flannel jacket.
If it's really cold, I upgrade to my leather jacket.
If it's raining, I add my trenchcoat.

I always wear jeans, or jean shorts. I have a pair of all-purpose canvas sneakers. For rain, I have boots.

I live in Los Angeles. So far, winter here has given us a couple weeks of true cold (~30F at night). Mostly it hasn't been that bad. The past several days it's been in the low 70s. :D

It boggles my mind when I read about people complaining about -20C temperatures.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:21 pm UTC

you should spend a week in Antarctica to appreciate your weather.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:10 pm UTC

Sometimes I'll wear a t-shirt.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Return to “General”