Hobbies Survey

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sabriel1206

Re: Hobbies Survey

Postby sabriel1206 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:43 am UTC

d33p wrote:Flamenco AND violin? I knew you were a gypsy, I just knew it.

hahahaha. welllll violin more constitutes being in orchestra which is not so gypsy-ish, but i highly recommend flamenco to everyone even the guys. its quite fun and improves rhythm and body awareness.

pshhh youre not boring. people who can cook well=always highly respected :D

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:13 am UTC

My main hobby has kind of become my desired career, which is animating (stop motion/pixelation/motion graphics). I also draw, paint and do (laughably poor) photography. I used to bellydance and do other forms of dancing, but I haven't found time for that lately. I like gaming, but i'm pretty casual about it. I'm completely into live music too, so I try to go to as many gigs as possible...but on my budget, that's kind of tricky sometimes.

That's about it really! Unless drinking rum and dancing in your nicest knickers to Death From Above 1979 around your room also constitutes as a hobby.
i dare you to take me on...

40belts

Postby 40belts » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:16 pm UTC

current obsession/hobby: :)

alternative building: cordwood, papercrete, fibrecrete,tires, bottles, cans
round house vs square, (square peg/round hole)
tiny houses, mobile houses, t.a.z.es,

thinking of building a papercrete model of a house i designed in my living room :roll:

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:43 pm UTC

d33p wrote:Ye gods, I never realised how boring I sound compared to most of you. /slinks away

Yeah, but the mustasche and pipe make up for it.

CadetMKultra, is that a pug?
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:37 pm UTC

I play badminton and try, usually with succes, to teach the kids at our local club something about the game too. I dabble a bit in photography and try to get better at it (I also try and use it as an excuse to go out for walks more often). On top of that, cartography is a bit of a hobby/career thing for me. It earns me my living and I absolutely enjoy doing it. It's also a way of getting more into general design and typography.
Quack!

CadetMKultra

Postby CadetMKultra » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:06 pm UTC

Some Asshole wrote:CadetMKultra, is that a pug?

Yeah, Fletch is a pug.

EvilDuckie wrote:On top of that, cartography is a bit of a hobby/career thing for me. It earns me my living and I absolutely enjoy doing it. It's also a way of getting more into general design and typography.

Wow, cartography is a a really cool field. I once new a guy we called "Big Dumb Animal" who was neither big nor dumb, who got his degree in cartography and disappeared into the sunset. I see a fuck-ton of nautical charts in my line of work, and spend a lot of time marking them up and then scrubbing them with big erasers. I'm a merchant mariner.
"Science is interesting and if you don't agree, you can fuck off." - Richard Dawkins

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

Martial arts, free diving/spear fishing, surfing, skiing and I play cello and drums

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:58 pm UTC

Some Asshole wrote:
d33p wrote:Ye gods, I never realised how boring I sound compared to most of you. /slinks away

Yeah, but the mustasche and pipe make up for it.

My appearance and vices make up for my lack of interesting hobbies.
I... I think that hurts me.
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

What's that saying about the truth and hurting...?

In no particular order: climbing/slacklining, snowboarding, photography, cooking/eating, gaming (real gaming, on tables and stuff, sometimes with boards, sometimes without), video gaming, tinkering with my computer, camping/hiking, shopping, shooting skeet, and maybe a couple of other things I'm not currently thinking of.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:05 pm UTC

Erm, I have a variety of "extreme"/adventure sports that are as much hobbies (or even obsessions) as sports.

White Water:
Kayaking
Canoing
Open Canoing
Rafting

Rock Climbing
Winter Ice, Snow & Mixed Climbing
Hill walking / Mountaineering
Cross Country MTB (though i haven't really raced)
Gorge Walking

Then we get to real hobbies,
Woodworking,
Amateur Engineering AKA. Its like thourough approach to making things that take my random whim (leaning on the above, but working with fabrics, metals and especially fibreglass/Carbon-foam composites)
Graphic Design
Photography (Slowly apporoaching Videography too)
Homebrewing
Distilling
Synthasis of compounds (not that I can really make much interesting without the risk of arrest these days)

It seems that there are Two common threads in that, being outside and making stuff, with the aestheisism of the latter explaining the two that don't strictly fit.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Sarr wrote:Warhamz - This involves modeling, painting, and playing them.

Now, I know you mean Warhammer..

Yet by your phrasing, I can only think of a deep underground circle of individuals who purchase and train hamsters, cybernetically enhance them with flamethrowers and buzzsaws and the like, and pit them in battle against one another.

Warhamz - The Z Means They're Hardcore, Bitch.
What is this "Warhammer", and how do you know what my secret hobby involves?
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

I used to collect LPs and the appropriate gear for causing them to be heard.
...the whim of a hat.

Alder

Postby Alder » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:11 pm UTC

Hmmmm....
I play piano and sing, I write music, I read - a lot - I collect books, I bake/cook, though not as much as I should, I do online improv, and I do ballroom and latin dancing.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:16 pm UTC

CadetMKultra wrote:No gardeners, pot farmers, ant farmers, horseback riders, dog show enthusiasts, cock fighters, matadors, bonsai pruners, orchid collectors, not even anybody who admits to breeding lice in their hair. Very interesting.

Well, I enjoy growing carnivorous plants, that's like gardening that eats stuff....

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

wst

Postby wst » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

Quadropus wrote:Well, I enjoy growing carnivorous plants, that's like gardening that eats stuff....
Well, most of the plants in the sea are sorta carnivorous, so you wouldn't grow many of the others.. kelp I guess... :P (your avvy has me convinced you are a creature of the waves. Not a sea kitten though)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Commodore64

Postby Commodore64 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:27 am UTC

I'm an audio nerd, I like music and noise in general. I collect vintage receivers, and have some Grados. I don't know what to define my hobby as, but I refer to myself as an acoutsicts enthusiast.

I also like hockey, and ripping into hard sci-fi novels. That's about it, I'm a pretty simple dude.

steewi

Postby steewi » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:21 am UTC

Books, music, historical dance, thesis, languages,

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:20 am UTC

I watch subtitled anime, read brick-sized fantasy novels, and spend far too much time trawling the internets. I like to cook experimentally: making food I've never attempted before, and splicing together different recipes for a (hopefully) better end product. About half of the meals I make could be presented with the announcement, "It's an experiment!"

The other hobbies I can think of haven't gotten much use lately. Things like piano practice, maintaining my herb garden (my poor plants!), exploring the back paths and roads in my neighbourhood that are less familiar, drawing, and making stuffed toys.

Quadropus wrote:
CadetMKultra wrote:No gardeners, pot farmers, ant farmers, horseback riders, dog show enthusiasts, cock fighters, matadors, bonsai pruners, orchid collectors, not even anybody who admits to breeding lice in their hair. Very interesting.

Well, I enjoy growing carnivorous plants, that's like gardening that eats stuff....

I like gardening that I can eat stuff from. Once I get a backyard that is not concreted (*grumble-grumble*) I want to have a couple of fruit trees as well as my usual cooking herbs.
Carnivorous plants are pretty cool, but I've killed them all off pretty fast the two times I've attempted growing some sundews, venus fly traps, and pitcher plants. I'm pretty bad at keeping things that don't remind me when they need attention, like my friend Catherine does.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

Mr. Froggy

Postby Mr. Froggy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:04 am UTC

I like watching TV, internet, video games, drawing, Magic of the Gathering (only for fun), and getting lost in thought. I think that last one doesn't count.

Wow, my life kinda sucks when I see how little I do.
"An honest man is one who knows that he can't consume more than he has produced"
Ayn Rand -Atlas Shrugged-

icanus

Postby icanus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:00 am UTC

I tend to go all out at a hobby for a few months before abandoning it for a year or so, then return to it.

In no particular order:

Videogames (mainly strategy games)
Model Making (mostly old ships, usually from scratch, occasional kitbashing)
Stop Motion animation (with plasticine, badly)
Programming (again, badly. But not with plasticine.)
Making Chainmail
Leatherwork
Knitting
Watching Movies

CadetMKultra

Postby CadetMKultra » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

I'm not sure, but I don't think watching tv counts.
"Science is interesting and if you don't agree, you can fuck off." - Richard Dawkins

IggyJack

Postby IggyJack » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:02 pm UTC

Hm, I play drums when weather permits, due to my set being in my garage.
I play videogames to a unhealthy degree.
I am on my computer always.
Shit, i thought i had more.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man. -Thomas Paine.
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good. -Thomas Paine.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:02 pm UTC

Boring vanilla geek girl here; nothing very new and exciting on the list.

- Local amateur drama group (mostly backstage, my love of acting has waned since university).
- Singing (in the church worship band, and I used to sing in a friend's "band" i.e. random jamming practice sessions at her house. I sadly don't have time this year though).
- Cooking
- Reading (fiction; any fiction really but most books I own are fantasy and/or humour)
- Moo & Keo (a little webcomic a forumite friend and I run; see my sig)
- Play games, mostly retro, but not that often. Very occasional World of Warcraft but I suck at it.
- I proudly submit the fora is a hobby of mine. I do it for fun and relaxation; I have made friends doing it (on- and offline) with people who share my interests; I feel part of a community; I learn new things from it.
- Hubby is the great photography enthusiast but he inspires me to try too and we sometimes go photomographing together. We should do that more, come to think of it.
- I keep threatening to learn Spanish (I learnt a few phrases but have stagnated since), dunno if that counts.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

CadetMKultra

Postby CadetMKultra » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

Interestingly, I just discovered a thread called "hobbies other than reefing,"on my local reef clubs general discussion forum. Different tastes than xkcd forum members. http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/nudibar/53170-hobbies-other-than-reefing-2.html

I wonder if the differences can best be attributed to the common hobby of reef-keeping, to the fact that we're all from the New York area, or to some other factor like a different average age.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

sabriel1206 wrote:
d33p wrote:Flamenco AND violin? I knew you were a gypsy, I just knew it.

hahahaha. welllll violin more constitutes being in orchestra which is not so gypsy-ish, but i highly recommend flamenco to everyone even the guys. its quite fun and improves rhythm and body awareness.

pshhh youre not boring. people who can cook well=always highly respected :D

but the violin can double as a fiddle, no? Now THAT"S gypsy-like.

I collect bottle caps. I have several hundred individual ones. It's slightly difficult, seeing as I don't drink.

I read constantly, and often go out to book sales to get interesting ones. Often nonfiction, on subjects I find interesting but have never studied.

I act in my community theater. That's always fun,

I've tried my hand at coding.

I'm a gamer. Play D&D and all that.

I had a bunch of other stuff I wanted to say, but I forgot. maybe biking or walking? I forget.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:43 am UTC

Making things:
Papercraft, origami, doodling, crocheting, making a language. (It's got some different sounds and a different syntax, in addition to 4 genders instead of the normal 3.)

Studying things:
Practicing the didgeridoo, linguistic studies, reading books.

Social things:
Magic: The Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons.
P.S.: Chrome, didgeridoo is a real word. I don't mean Coleridge.

Probably have other hobbies, but can't think of any others right off the top of my head.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:51 am UTC

I play guitar and cycle very, very long distances over a period of a few weeks.
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

Sonic132

Postby Sonic132 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:07 am UTC

I'm surprised no one in this thread so far has mentioned DDR.
I myself enjoy a good half hour or so of off and on spazzing out on a dance pad.

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:43 am UTC

Playing trumpet
Reading
Rocketry
Alpine hiking in the white mountains
Playing tennis
Skiing
Blogging
Calculus

I also recently discovered the fun of acting. I've only been on stage about 2 minutes so far but it's a lot of fun.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Velict

Postby Velict » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:45 am UTC

Lacrosse
Snowboarding
Mountain biking

Magic: the Gathering
Chess
Reading

I don't lead a particularly exciting lifestyle :(

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:47 am UTC

Velict wrote:Lacrosse
Snowboarding
Mountain biking

Magic: the Gathering
Chess
Reading

I don't lead a particularly exciting lifestyle :(

the first three sound pretty exciting to me.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:48 am UTC

Paranoid__Android wrote:cycle very, very long distances over a period of a few weeks.

That sounds fun, but I don't understand the part where you get long distances without dying from highway traffic.
Maybe it's a central US thing, but all the long distances here are filled with corn and spanned by car-oriented roads.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:12 am UTC

Music, swimming, sleeping, eating, dancing, hiking, watching movies, reading, cave exploring, deep sea diving, fighting, childrens card games, traveling, and of course the internet. :D

... I also occasionally like jumping out of planes.

Kaeyn

Postby Kaeyn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:40 am UTC

I play the piano as often as I can, and I recently decided to start collecting all the film tickets I buy. I'm also one of the only people I know who spends a very large amount of money at Film Festivals whenever they come around.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:48 am UTC

Hobby? Pah! Those are for people with free time!

:cry:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:54 pm UTC

lulzfish wrote:
Paranoid__Android wrote:cycle very, very long distances over a period of a few weeks.

That sounds fun, but I don't understand the part where you get long distances without dying from highway traffic.
Maybe it's a central US thing, but all the long distances here are filled with corn and spanned by car-oriented roads.

Here's my next one.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:49 pm UTC

I've never considered any of the things I do hobbies.
I read. I play the piano. I play D&D. I was on a snookerette team not too long ago. I write occasionally. I used to cross-stitch but haven't done in years now.
But I've just counting all of this as 'things I do' rather than 'hobbies'. Perhaps I am strange.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

I draw. I'd say I paint too, but since most of the work I've done in the last two years has been digital I don't know whether that still applies (I paint... with pixels!). I wouldn't want to turn it into a livelihood, I imagine it would lose its fun qualities (plus I find doing requests stressful).

Other than that? I play videogames on-and-off (I'm a real nerd, but I find I have less time to play videogames nowadays), I read, I've started cooking (though whether that counts as a hobby is debatable in my case). I like long walks (they clear the mind, or at least get rid of distractions).

If they count, I'd also like to say that I enjoy making stupid jokes at every occasion I can, whining like an adolescent about my life, and daydreaming when I should be studying. Those count as hobbies... right?
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

BabyfootAssassin

Postby BabyfootAssassin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:41 pm UTC

I keep cacti. And a venus fly trap that I need to repot. -_- I have to move out before I can get more plants.

I (video) game a LOT, watch movies and tv shows, cook, volunteer at the hospital and I'll be running again when my foot recovers from an injury. I used to like shopping sometimes too, but now I'm more of a homebody. I also used to be an active RPer, but not at all now. I can't find a good one. I read a decent amount too, when it strikes me.
Last edited by BabyfootAssassin on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
1. Receive beating until opponent falls asleep.
2. Maul opponent’s unconscious body.
3. Realize that the celebration banana was a trick and that you’ve once again been led into a cage for safe transport.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

I lack real hobbies.

I spend my weekends just doing random stuff. With random people on random places. On regular school days, I go to school sometimes do some shit after school with friends, then at home I read the newest comics that has been posted by the awesome people that post these awesome comics which I follow and of which xkcd is one.

For the rest, I post weird posts on the forums of those webcomics ( If they have them ). I also spend a large amount of time chatting with people trough MSN.

Oh and I should sort of write down stuff. I started but I need to write more often. I wrote that down by the way.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Return to “General”