Nicknames

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BigBoss

Nicknames

Postby BigBoss » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:11 am UTC

Have any of you had nicknames before?

I've been called Little-man, Little-dude, other twin, baby possum, lil possum, and possum.
Oh and ninja.
Last edited by BigBoss on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
You don't give up hope just because something's hopeless. You cover up your ears, and talk really loud.

Tampons could be used to stop a nosebleed! - Tillian

Paranoid__Android

Re: Nicknames

Postby Paranoid__Android » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:16 am UTC

'Dexter'

It really annoyed me
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

Decker

Postby Decker » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:36 am UTC

Kids called me G-unit (not my idea) in high school because we all know how gangster and hardcore suburban 14 year-olds are.

Fuck high school.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:38 am UTC

Kells by my parents and people on all corners of the internet, Kilogram by the members of my senior AP Physics class.

I quite like both.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:53 am UTC

Teapot by my best friend and people on the internet. Ames by my parents. Yam by my friends at school.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:13 am UTC

People just shorten by name to Jess or Jessi, which isn't really a nickname. However, my friends tend to call me Jessla, Jessique, Jessbess and my favourite, Jessington World of Adventures.
i dare you to take me on...

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:26 am UTC

Actually, almost all my friends call me Cyph. I've had this nickname for almost ten years now, so I'm usually introduced to people by that name. If they don't call me that, they call me Skin, which I got in the first year of uni. There is a very small minority of people who call me Rich, who are generally workmates.

It's amusing when they collide, actually. I once worked with a girl for a few months, then didn't see her again for a year or so until the day she turned up in my house with one of my mates.

"Bloody hell, Becky? What are you doing here?"
"What do you mean what am I doing here? What the fuck are you doing here?"
"I live here!"
"Oh, YOU'RE Skin!"

I love it when my reputation precedes me.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Baron

Postby Baron » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:52 am UTC

I'm boring - I don't have many nicknames, people either call me by my first or last name (first if I went to Uni with them or family, or work, last name from primary/secondary school). Also occasionally Deej or Stumpy.

Edit: I note I have been referred to more than once as "The little asian son I never had" by one of my university peers.
Last edited by Baron on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Heeere fishy fishy... <><

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:52 am UTC

Precious (being the most naive and socially awkward of my group in college)
Little Chicken
Asian flower
Minority Snowbunny (came about when my half-Hispanic friend and I, the only non-white people in our group of friends, decided to go for a walk in a snowstorm)
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:04 am UTC

Oh gosh I have a ton. All are from specific people from something specific...
~ Peanut is what my parents called me when I was little, because I was so tiny from VSD (Ventricular Septal Defect). It stuck until I was maybe 10-ish or so? Every once-in-a-while I am still called that. I just kinda got too old for it I guess.
~ Yma (somehow pronounced "ya-ma", I have no clue, don't ask) which started in middle school, as there was another Amy in my grade and we seemed to almost always be in the same classes. One day our science teacher read "Amy" upside down (uh, who knows how "Amy" upside down is "ya-ma" again) but he said "Yma? Oh, wait *turns paper around* Amy" and we both in unison (we became good at saying this in unison over the years) "Which Amy?" and it was me. From that point on through high school I was "Yma".
~ Gracie Lynn - from karate, don't care to share the story
I have one other, but it's almost a term of endearment nickname sort of deal that people who know me for long enough laps into sometimes and just figure it out for themselves ;) This nickname would be my favorite though, because I don't tell anyone what it is.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:07 am UTC

Well, considering my real name is "Thomas", I generally go by Tom. Does that count?

Other than that, a few people nicknamed me "Cyborg", which I don't like, and someone else nicknamed me "Yogi", due to my last name.

Not much else that I can think of.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:54 am UTC

One summer, "Zeke", after an impromptu experiment concerning first impressions.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:52 am UTC

I'm a knowledge addict. My friends and peers tend to come to me first when they have random questions, like "What's the smallest mammal?" or "Are there maple trees in Europe?". I'll either have the answer off the top of my head or look it up and share the abridged version. Thus my friends call me Ritapedia. I hated it at first, but came to like it. I even "dressed up" as Wikipedia for Halloween. XD
...It made more sense in my head.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:11 am UTC

Without having really tried I've sidestepped any lasting nicknames (or any I can think of actually). Even in Scouts when everyone who didn't have one was being given/forced to receive one I didn't.

The only nickname I'd like to revive would be CJ which is my first initials, but only my Dad calls me that and even then only intermittently.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:54 am UTC

My nicknames from school were:
Snoz Crout (a lot of my old friend's parents just call me this, because they've never known my real name).
Scum
Bogan

cypherspace wrote:I once worked with a girl for a few months, then didn't see her again for a year or so until the day she turned up in my house with one of my mates.

"Bloody hell, Becky? What are you doing here?"
"What do you mean what am I doing here? What the fuck are you doing here?"
"I live here!"
"Oh, YOU'RE Skin!"

I love it when my reputation precedes me.

I've have this, too. My uni friends call me Juzzie, but I usually introduce myself as Justin. So a few times I've got: "You're Juzzie?!"

And finally, a select few people I play CS:S with call me Pez.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

AngelaE8654

Postby AngelaE8654 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:05 am UTC

I've never allowed people to call me "Angie", but my whole family calls me "Ang". I've never really had any other types of nicknames. :)

Kidiri

Postby Kidiri » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:22 am UTC

Some people call me the diminutive of my name, which I hate. Except for by one person. She's allowed to do it. Other than that, Kidiri on all corners of the internet and my members from the scouts. Sometimes people refer to my redheadedness as a nickname. But mostly people call me by my name.
The codfish on the park bench is fried by the raw maple. 30/10/2009

Shakleton

Postby Shakleton » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:23 am UTC

Well... I never had a nickname (they are not really commonplace in Germany wich is a very sad thing) but I've always wanted one. So I came to the conclusion I had to force it through if I wanted a nickname. So, nowadays I usually I introduce myself as "Jonas but my friends call me Jim". (Which also entitles me to one of the greatest one-liners in Star Trek ever.)

I'd love to have a real nickname, though. But I guess that won't happen in my current school any more. Maybe in college. :(
mikekearn wrote:You even have an appropriate shirt. Excellent.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:12 am UTC

Shakleton wrote:Well... I never had a nickname (they are not really commonplace in Germany wich is a very sad thing) but I've always wanted one. So I came to the conclusion I had to force it through if I wanted a nickname. So, nowadays I usually I introduce myself as "Jonas but my friends call me Jim". (Which also entitles me to one of the greatest one-liners in Star Trek ever.)

I'd love to have a real nickname, though. But I guess that won't happen in my current school any more. Maybe in college. :(
Teapot's guide to getting a nickname: Do something embarrassing/kind of silly in front of at least one friend (it helps if they are likely to tell other friends and get them involved). Later claim it seemed like a good idea at the time. If your friends are anything like mine they will mock you for it which can result in nicknames that you hate at first but you grow used to and then actually kind of like.
Moo wrote:

Kidiri

Postby Kidiri » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:21 am UTC

Teapot wrote:Teapot's guide to getting a nickname: Do something embarrassing/kind of silly in front of at least one friend (it helps if they are likely to tell other friends and get them involved). Later claim it seemed like a good idea at the time. If your friends are anything like mine they will mock you for it which can result in nicknames that you hate at first but you grow used to and then actually kind of like.

Such as 'Teapot'? Now you've got to tell me/us what you did to deserve the nickname of 'Teapot'. Or were you talking about the 'Yam'? I find this evenly intriguing. So spit it out. What did you do?
The codfish on the park bench is fried by the raw maple. 30/10/2009

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:48 am UTC

I go by the name of Mazza, but have had many other nicknames in the past. My Brownies also call me Woodpecker if that counts. I've also been called Burger for a while, from my surname.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

aido179

Postby aido179 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:51 am UTC

my dad always tells a story about the army nicknames he encountered. one guy was always known as "teapot" (pronounced tay-pot) because whenever he arrives somewhere his first question was always "wheres the tay-pot?" (he had an irish accent)

my friends recently called me "fillet" but i cant even go into how that came up....long story
but ive been called aido wherever go in Dublin. during a summer course i worked in a few summers ago, i was known as pork-chop...i was a bit tubby at the time.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:54 am UTC

Kidiri wrote:
Teapot wrote:Teapot's guide to getting a nickname: Do something embarrassing/kind of silly in front of at least one friend (it helps if they are likely to tell other friends and get them involved). Later claim it seemed like a good idea at the time. If your friends are anything like mine they will mock you for it which can result in nicknames that you hate at first but you grow used to and then actually kind of like.

Such as 'Teapot'?
I, uh, may have sang "I'm a little teapot" on webcam. The thing you have to remember is that I decided this was a good idea whilst completely sober. I hadn't even had anything too sugary like Irn Bru (which makes me really hyper). I pretty much deserved the mocking. :lol:

Yam is just an anagram of my name.
Moo wrote:

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:02 pm UTC

Best. Nickname. Ever.

I've never really had a nickname that stuck for very long.
One that stayed with me for maybe six months in primary school was "killer". I had mad rounders skills, yo. My middle initial was "k", so, occasionally I'd get someone refer to me as "Tanya-killer". My teacher actually started it.
The one I acquired in secondary school was "Philip". Hell, even my mother used to call me Philip. At one point, I did stop responding to my actual name.

wst

Postby wst » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:28 pm UTC

On scout camp once I was Monkey Ears, because theey stick out. Hated that one.
At school I answer to: Garfield, Strap-on or Will.
A friend of mine is called Lenny, as his real name is Henry. No-one but teachers call him that though, so it's weird when teachers ask 'Is there anyone missing?' 'Lenny is' 'Who?' 'Ohh, Henry'
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Hoags

Postby Hoags » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:37 pm UTC

Several people from the internet call me "Hoags" or "Hoagie". Some people in real life call me "Joms" as my real name is "James", or "Nutty".

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

My brother calls me "the pea", which is derived from him calling me pea-brain when I was little. A few people from grammar school called me "Pontan", a guy from high school still to this day calls me "Mother", on account of my online handle.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Ramirez

Postby Ramirez » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:46 pm UTC

Friends I get up with call me "Bob", because of my surname.

My old jitsu club gave me 2 for the purpose of printing on club hoodies.

Scrooge - because I don't like Christmas.
Jeremy Kyle - because I worked at the Jobcentre for about a year.
Come on, dance for me!

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:52 pm UTC

A self-induced nickname, my band-mates used to call my Squirrel Boy. When I introduced myself as that, I didn't expect people to actually call me that. Somehow it stuck for 3.5 years :D My friends right now call me Table-Kun as that is my XBL handle.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

Teapot wrote:
Kidiri wrote:

Such as 'Teapot'?
I, uh, may have sang "I'm a little teapot" on webcam. The thing you have to remember is that I decided this was a good idea whilst completely sober. I hadn't even had anything too sugary like Irn Bru (which makes me really hyper). I pretty much deserved the mocking. :¡This cheese is burning me!:

Yam is just an anagram of my name.

Your name is Yma? :P
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:00 pm UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:Your name is Yma? :P
You obviously have me confused with Sungura :P

Sungura wrote:~ Yma (somehow pronounced "ya-ma", I have no clue, don't ask) which started in middle school, as there was another Amy in my grade and we seemed to almost always be in the same classes. One day our science teacher read "Amy" upside down (uh, who knows how "Amy" upside down is "ya-ma" again) but he said "Yma? Oh, wait *turns paper around* Amy" and we both in unison (we became good at saying this in unison over the years) "Which Amy?" and it was me. From that point on through high school I was "Yma".

(I also had the "Which Amy?" problem until 5th year at academy. There were 3 Amys in my primary school class and I can think of at least 5 including me in my year at secondary school :()
Moo wrote:

wst

Postby wst » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:12 pm UTC

In my maths class I'm William and the other one's Will.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:09 pm UTC

Ramirez wrote:Jeremy Kyle - because I worked at the Jobcentre for about a year.

Oh dear. That's a bit of an unfortunate nick name, right there. :P
i dare you to take me on...

Wellan

Postby Wellan » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:13 pm UTC

I used to be called "French Freak" by my enemies (I was in French Immersion and *gasp* actually spoke some French.)

These days, some people at school call me "Warlock Forest Mat of The Horde". This one guy decided to nickname me, then decided on that as the nickname (for no apparent reason.) And it stuck.
SIGNATURE has caused a GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT in CREATIVE PROCESSES.
Error code 2309: Signature writer's block.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:35 pm UTC

I've been called:
The Russian,
LunchBox,
KitKat,
Crickit Bat,
"The [Full Name]"
KellyKettle.

Each has its own reasons, and two are based on my internet Psudonym...
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:38 pm UTC

I usually go by Becca, a shortened version of Rebecca. But most of my friends call me Pixel (I'm 4'11"), Raven (Slight obsession with Poe), Blue( short for "Blue-Haired-Becca), and Satan :twisted: .
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

the first two

Postby the first two » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

I've been called "sex god magic wonder dream hunk" a couple of times.

Otherwise, my usual nickname is "Julle". My name is Johannes, and my friend gave it to me when I was about six or seven years old. It have stuck with me, and now most people call me Julle, other than my parents and teachers.

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

I have strange friends.
"Deep" is actually a genuine nickname given by my friend Cowboy, who decided my pornstar name should be Johnny Deep, and started introducing me as such.
"Landing Gear" -- some friends did shrooms, and I chased them around and whispered things in their ears, and they screamed at me for being a buzzkill, bringing them down, and then they called me Landing Gear. This is what I dressed up as for Halloween. An evil archvillain with landing gear for feet.

In grammar school, being quite short and having pointed ears, I was "Keebler."
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

the first two

Postby the first two » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

d33p wrote:I have strange friends.
"Deep" is actually a genuine nickname given by my friend Cowboy, who decided my pornstar name should be Johnny Deep

HAHAHAHAHA, your friend is a genius!

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

I dubbed him "Flint Beastwood."
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

Return to “General”