A note to Belial

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Re: A note to Belial

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

Wasn't there a poster that was sent by a script?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

tricky77puzzle wrote:Wow, this forum really is beneath me. Even the moderators conspire to commit acts that appear to be beneath them.

The moderators are also performing a service, of their own free will and giving up their own time to do so. Let's run with the house metaphor as that was the last one to be used. The mods are the ones that try to act as the bouncers at the big party we're all at - they stop people spraying graffiti on the walls (spam and bots) and get rid of those whose activities jeopardise the party (illegal content, abusing the other people here).
The "post in this thread and get banned" thread was like having a drawer with a label on it saying "Do not open, or you will be forced to leave". At first, this was policed fairly leniently, with temporary bans. But people kept opening it, and so more drastic action was taken. It's still fairly lenient, as creating a new account lets you get back in. Those who got caught can be glad that their IP addresses weren't also banned.
This is not your house, it is not my house. It is the house of those who provide these fora, and the rules that are clearly stated by them and their representatives (the mods) should be obeyed. So obey the rules of the house and enjoy the party, or leave. Don't complain that the rules aren't what you want them to be. You want to set the rules, you set up your own forum. I'm going to stay here and enjoy the party.

Edited to put in the quote to make it clearer what I'm responding to, as I got multi-ninja'd.
Last edited by Plasma Man on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Wasn't there a poster that was sent by a script?

Yes, and even he conceded that was an epic prank.

You want to set the rules, you set up your own forum. I'm going to stay here and enjoy the party.

That's what always weirded me out - people act like this is the only forum on the internet. There are thousands of forums. This is but a single one - if it's not to your liking, choose another. Other people like the xkcd forum how it is. Ah, the wonder of choice?

tricky77puzzle
Will take "No Tresspassing Signs" for 500

Postby tricky77puzzle » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:
Wow, this forum really is beneath me.

Well in that case feel free to go somewhere that better suits your tastes. Why stay somewhere that so catastrophically fails to meet your glistening moral standards?

Sure. It's not like I'm the last shred of sense in the system, you have your jewels. In each and every one of your real-world lives, you are respected citizens of the community. Why is it that when you congregate onto a forum that you start participating in such juvenile-minded blabber anyway?

Next thing you know, I'll be ragequitting again.

Jack Saladin wrote:
I'm not talking about those people. I'm talking about the people who posted in this thread who did not want to be banned.

Well how fucking retarded do you have to be to post in a thread called "Post in this thread and get banned" if you don't want to get banned? And if you really, somehow, weren't expecting it, you should surely realise your mistake in retrospect, laugh, and get over it.

I like how none of the people who were actually banned are as bothered by this as you are.

You know what, I am retarded. I've lost even my own arguments. And I never even posted in this thread, because I thought that those people were serious. It was only when they acted on it that I started getting angry. Perhaps sometime in the future, I'll be running a forum where you participate and then suddenly ban you out of spite, because you posted some sequence of letters, where the rule was stated in a very hidden-in-the-folds part of the rules.

Plasma Man wrote:You want to set the rules, you set up your own forum.

I've actually been planning on setting up a forum for quite a while.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

tricky77puzzle wrote:You know what, I am retarded. I've lost even my own arguments. And I never even posted in this thread, because I thought that those people were serious. It was only when they acted on it that I started getting angry. Perhaps sometime in the future, I'll be running a forum where you participate and then suddenly ban you out of spite, because you posted some sequence of letters, where the rule was stated in a very hidden-in-the-folds part of the rules.

You're right, the "post here and get banned" thread was very cleverly hiding its purpose in some obscure code or something.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

Like you didn't do the first time?
I don't know what to do for you

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

It was only when they acted on it that I started getting angry. Perhaps sometime in the future, I'll be running a forum where you participate and then suddenly ban you out of spite, because you posted some sequence of letters, where the rule was stated in a very hidden-in-the-folds part of the rules.

Except the warning here wasn't posted in a "very hidden-in-the-folds" part of the rules. It was the title of the thread they were posting in. The thread was full of other people who had been banned. It was printed in big letters on the very reply screen they typed their post in.

Honestly, if after all this you can still make a fucking stupid statement like that, and honestly believe that's a valid comparison, you clearly just have some problem interpreting this situation properly. I don't know if your judgment is clouded by anger, or if you're just an idiot, but you're just getting ridiculous.

Well, staying ridiculous. You did start off comparing it to terrorism, after all. Usually I'm all for taboo-breaking and black humour, but I do think that comparing losing ones post count and username on an internet forum to terrorism is flat out offensive. If I gave more of a fuck, I'd ask you for an apology.

tricky77puzzle
Will take "No Tresspassing Signs" for 500

Postby tricky77puzzle » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:05 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:
It was only when they acted on it that I started getting angry. Perhaps sometime in the future, I'll be running a forum where you participate and then suddenly ban you out of spite, because you posted some sequence of letters, where the rule was stated in a very hidden-in-the-folds part of the rules.

Except the warning here wasn't posted in a "very hidden-in-the-folds" part of the rules. It was the title of the thread they were posting in. The thread was full of other people who had been banned. It was printed in big letters on the very reply screen they typed their post in.

Honestly, if after all this you can still make a fucking stupid statement like that, and honestly believe that's a valid comparison, you clearly just have some problem interpreting this situation properly. I don't know if your judgment is clouded by anger, or if you're just an idiot, but you're just getting ridiculous.

Perhaps it is my clouded-by-anger judgment that serves me wrong.

uncivlengr wrote:
Like you didn't do the first time?
Yes, exactly like I didn't do the first time.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

tricky77puzzle wrote:Perhaps sometime in the future, I'll be running a forum where you participate and then suddenly ban you out of spite, because you posted some sequence of letters, where the rule was stated in a very hidden-in-the-folds part of the rules.

Another bad comparison. Did you say "a very hidden-in-the-folds part of the rules"? Why, yes you did! Imagine that. The title of the thread was "Post here and get banned"! How can that possibly be a hidden rule?

EDIT: Oh, wow. I am horrible at avoiding ninjas. Oh well. You're still pretty silly. My comment stands.
Last edited by Ramses IV on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:07 pm UTC

I've actually been planning on setting up a forum for quite a while.

Ohhh fantastic, you'll have to tell us all about how that works out.

In before the next raegquaat.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:In before the next raegquaat.

Meaux I have been thinking about ragequitting after what you said about me earlier in this thread. Just so you know.

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

Failblog has rejected my submission of every one of tricky77's posts.
Apparently, even they have limits.
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

tricky77puzzle wrote:Perhaps sometime in the future, I'll be running a forum where you participate and then suddenly ban you out of spite, because you posted some sequence of letters, where the rule was stated in a very hidden-in-the-folds part of the rules.
Because that's exactly the same as having a thread where the title says "Post in this thread and get banned" and you have to actively go and find it and post there.
Congratulations, you've just convinced me not to join any forum you set up.

Wow, multi-ninja'd again.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:10 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:
Meaux_Pas wrote:In before the next raegquaat.

Meaux I have been thinking about ragequitting after what you said about me earlier in this thread. Just so you know.

You know I love you, Sally.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Congratulations, you've just convinced me not to join any forum you set up.

I dunno about that. I'd be extremely curious as to what sort of forum he would set up.

EDIT: Oh, and I just realized! Isn't tricky puzzle the person that set up a website with...some sort of flash game with tricky puzzles? I forget...but I know I did see it.
Last edited by Ramses IV on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

Congratulations, you've just convinced me not to join any forum you set up.

Are you kidding me? Now I can barely wait for it to come online. If it's anywhere near as entertaining as this thread, it will be a constant source of bemusement for the xkcd forum for years to come. We can have Troll Tricky's Forum Tuesdays.

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

I hope he allows people to setup their own threads. I know what my first contribution will be titled.
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:We can have Troll Tricky's Forum Tuesdays.

He's not really a troll. Just really really silly.
My Blag

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

d33p wrote:I hope he allows people to setup their own threads. I know what my first contribution will be titled.

I know what pretty much 99% of all the threads will be titled once the link is posted here.

He's not really a troll. Just really really silly.

No, I meant we Troll Tricky's Forum every Tuesday.

It'll be funny.

'Cause he's stupid, see.

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

$10 on the link being included in the raegquaat?

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:No, I meant we Troll Tricky's Forum every Tuesday.

Oh! I get it...now I feel stupid, for having to have a joke explained to me. But I'd disagree. If he wants to have a forum, we should totally not sabatoge his efforts. I'm just very, very curious to what it would be like.
My Blag

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:19 pm UTC

We should get started on funny word-replacements of his first post now. For the news section of his forum, "A note to Israel". For the movies & TV subforum, "A note to Fox". For the theology forum, uh, "A note to Belial", again, I guess, except with the demon line switched around.

I'm just very, very curious to what it would be like.

Empty. Utterly and completely empty.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

tricky77puzzle wrote:Perhaps it is my clouded-by-anger judgment that serves me wrong.

Dude, it's been like 8 hours since your first post. You're still clouded by anger? Still? I really want to see your reaction to something properly anger worthy, like terrorism.
This thread is awesome though. Please don't leave I don't want to have to join another forum just to watch your impotent flailings.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

Okay, this was sorta funny at the outset, but you're (tricky) really starting to piss me off.

tricky77puzzle wrote:
Jack Saladin wrote:OK, since we're playing "stupid metaphors", I mays as well have a go:
And that is why none of you have the right to bitch about anything, ever.
With that kind of mentality, it's no wonder people are leaving.
What mentality? The mentality that Jack Saladin is not a moderator and therefore doesn't speak for the forum administration? Or the mentality where you said you would leave yet you still infect us with your presence and constant petulence? Or the mentality where we engage you in dialogue* when you do so instead of just banning you*.

(*This post is more yelling at you than dialogue--which others have done exhaustively--and I do wish that you would go away, even if it will require banning.)

tricky77puzzle wrote:
I mean, even creating the thread in the first place with an intent to entrap people was a cruel, nasty act.
Just for the record, and so I get all the appropriate evil kudos, it was my idea.
I was kind of expecting FG to empty out within a couple of days, but they proved less stupid than I had thought. Well, some of them did.
Wow, this forum really is beneath me. Even the moderators conspire to commit acts that appear to be beneath them.
IT WAS NOT A CONSPIRACY. Belial did it all on his own, out in public for everyone to see.

tricky77puzzle wrote:I mean, even creating the thread in the first place with an intent to entrap people was a cruel, nasty act.
THIS WAS NOT ENTRAPMENT EITHER YOU DUMB SHIT. Entrapment is when someone with authority tricks or coerces someone into doing something that they would not doing normally that is illegal, while pretending to not be a person of authority. This was all in the clear.

tricky77puzzle wrote:It's amazing how hypocritical people are.
Yeah, I know! Like when people don't post in the "post in this thread and get banned" thread and then complain about people getting banned in that thread, even though they freely admit that they didn't post in that thread because they were aware of the consequences. Or when people say they will leave the forums and then they do the exact opposite!

You are illustrating quite well the disgusting Liberal ideology that people shouldn't be held accountable for their own actions because they can't think for themselves, and that the 'government' (or whatever approximation thereof) should do everything for them, even when nobody has actually suffered any harm from the consequences you allege. I bet you're also the kind of person who blocks the door for people in wheelchairs because you think you're helping them by holding it open. Grow up.

Actually, based on this ideology and your apparent espousement thereof, I suggest that the admins ban you, because clearly it's in your best interest to leave the forums, but you don't have the power to do it yourself.

Oh, and since there have been a few more posts as I composed and proofread this: a raegquaat lasts a lot longer than a couple of hours. I went for about 11 months when I left, and it was over something far more petty than what you described. No, you won't be able to figure it out in any of the posts visible to non-mods.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:31 pm UTC

Oh, and since there have been a few more posts as I composed and proofread this: a raegquaat lasts a lot longer than a couple of hours. I went for about 11 months when I left, and it was over something far more petty than what you described. No, you won't be able to figure it out in any of the posts visible to non-mods.

Wait, did you actually leave over that? That was a pretty extreme raegquaat, then.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

Wait, I'm confused. Saladin isn't part of the administration? I could've sworn he was. Also, why do you (RG) have to recommend tricky be banned? Don't you have that power yourself?
My Blag

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:34 pm UTC

He was.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:34 pm UTC

Ramses IV wrote:Wait, I'm confused. Saladin isn't part of the administration? I could've sworn he was.

Correct, he isn't. Also correct that he was. Is no longer per own request.

Ramses IV wrote:Also, why do you (RG) have to recommend tricky be banned? Don't you have that power yourself?

No, that's only admins and prelates, I think.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

Well, I got a good bit of education of forum history and set up today. This thread has served a purpose other than burning people with cheese. Yay!
My Blag

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:41 pm UTC

See this for a list of powers that the various ones with the coloured names have.

RealGrouchy

Postby RealGrouchy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:41 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Ramses IV wrote:Wait, I'm confused. Saladin isn't part of the administration? I could've sworn he was.

Correct, he isn't. Also correct that he was. Is no longer per own request.

Ramses IV wrote:Also, why do you (RG) have to recommend tricky be banned? Don't you have that power yourself?

No, that's only admins and prelates, I think.
Shh! The more they know, the more work for us!

- RG>
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....

wst

Postby wst » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:43 pm UTC

Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Sparthox

Postby Sparthox » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:48 pm UTC

Oh gosh, consider me a cheese burn victim.

Tricky, though I appreciate your concern over the people banned (I am in that group) I really think you need to give up this cause. You can argue all day over semantics and bad analogies, but the fact of the matter is that it was all a joke with no real harm done in the end, save a few people losing post counts. Besides, people have sort of stopped listening to you.

And as for the person who made the "other people just got clipped on the ear" analogy: yeah, you're right, but that's what made it interesting, you know? The possibility of a perma ban being there. (Hopefully) everyone involved knew the hammer was coming down sooner or later with people posting like 10 times in there and the double/triple posts and all the other nonsense and shenanigans that went down. Like I said before, it was a calculated risk. Nobody was forced to post there, except for that one guy who was redirected with some guys sig. But damn was than an epic prank.
juststrange wrote:Same wedding, 2 cakes, 1 regular wedding style, 1 ninja turtle. No joke. And little hotdogs at the reception, the groom demanded little hotdogs.

RealGrouchy

Postby RealGrouchy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

Okay, so I'm reading back and finding more gold to respond to... still have a couple pages to go after I return from a meeting...

tricky77puzzle wrote:
davean wrote:I do hope you take the rest of your life more seriously.
My lack of rigour is out of emotion. It does happen in real life.

Yes, I take the rest of my life much more seriously. By the way, can you please change my rank back, or at least to "Will take 'Bridge Out' signs for 800?"
Hah. You insult the admin team, then come back not a couple of hours later and ask them to do you a favour? Dude, admins don't change your title ("rank" is what the software calls it, not what the community calls it...though yours is a bit rank with the outdated reference. Which is also funny because it's outdated. I don't think anyone would have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out) even when you're nice (to them or in general). Admins make and change titles on whim.

Also, for crying out loud please stop your sickening "I was wrong then and I don't mean what I said out of emotion" and then get sad because people are responding to what you said. You said what you said, live with it. If you didn't mean it, then maybe you'll learn to think before you speak.

Plasma Man wrote:Hmm, it seems that you have to provoke a mod to get a title... Is it worth the risk?

No. *hides*
SEE? THIS IS HOW IT WORKS! One evaluates the consequences of a particular action, then acts upon them. This user even goes a step further to interpolate the consequences from given examples.

- RG>

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:02 am UTC

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DEMON TERRORISTS?!
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Pa-Patch

Postby Pa-Patch » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:13 am UTC

GUYS I THINK WE NEED ANOTHER ANALOGY ALL UP IN HERE TO CLARIFY
I think it came out rather well.
Attachments
lol.JPG
lol.JPG (27.78 KiB) Viewed 4065 times

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:16 am UTC

With all the ALL CAPS SHOUTING in here, I'm reminded altogether too much of T-Rex of Dinosaur Comics.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Textual Hedonist Gone Amok

Postby Textual Hedonist Gone Amok » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:20 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DEMON TERRORISTS?!

Tricky 77 waited. The load bar above him blinked and sparked out of the tubes. There were mods on the fora. He didn't see them, but had expected them for days. His warnings from FishyFish were not listened to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.

Tricky was a sockpuppet since 20080228.
When he was young he said to dad "I want to be a forumite daddy!"
Dad said "NO YOU WILL BE BANNED BY MODS!"
When he was a newb he believed him. Then as his postcount grew he stopped. But now in Forum Games of the FORUM he knew there were moderators.
"This is Nebuduck" the post crackered. "You must taunt the mods!"
So Tricky got his keyboard and burst down the page.
"He is going to be banned" said the posters.
"I will banhammer at him" said Belial. But real life intervened and Belial could not attack.
"No, I must be irreverant" Tricky shouted.
The LTB said "No Tricky, you are a banned."
And then Tricky became a sock-puppet.
Last edited by Textual Hedonist Gone Amok on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Velocirators?," inquired The Philosoraptor. "More like VELAWESOMERAPTOS!"

Banned here. Reborn better, stronger, faster. And yes, that's what she said.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:21 am UTC

DaMullet wrote:With all the ALL CAPS SHOUTING in here, I'm reminded altogether too much of T-Rex of Dinosaur Comics.

ARE YOU TALKING SMACK ABOUT T-REX

T-REX IS A PRETTY AWESOME GUY YOU GUYS

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:23 am UTC

I FIND MYSELF AGREEING. TELL UTAHRAPTOR I SAID HELLO
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Return to “General”