Do I want to quit my job over this? Now the consequences!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kas

Do I want to quit my job over this? Now the consequences!

Postby Kas » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:55 pm UTC

First a little background on my situation.

I'm 18, going to the local community college for two years before I transfer to a UC or CSU school (I live in southern California).

I have a part time job (I worked full time during the summer, I got the job a few weeks before high school ended) at a small medical equipment provider, mostly dealing in repairing and providing wheelchairs. I do the paperwork, and sweet Raptor Jesus there is a lot to do in this business. I replaced three full time employees, and feel comfortable enough with my work to say that I do a good job.

I don't particularly need the money, I have enough cash to be set for the next two years, I just wanted to have extra saved up to take a bigger chunk out of my tuition when I get to a university.

Nonetheless, I asked for a raise last week and got one. This week though, the owner of the company (who is hardly there, and pretty much the only information he gets about his own company are from these poorly generated 'tracking reports' on a badly made program he created a while ago) decided that he didn't like how behind we were on these tracking reports (Bare in mind, I am one of four people that actually work in this program, and I always keep my own stuff updated) and wants me to get us back up to date on it all.

Ok, fair enough, a new project. I'll have to put off getting any real work done for a few weeks to fix lazy mistakes other people made (and will continue making), but that's not the end of the world.

The kicker though - he's telling me that he's going to take away my dollar raise that he agreed to last week and instead, every week that we are 100% on the tracking reports, he'll give me the dollar an hour as a 'bonus'. Yeah, we're probably never going to be 100% on these tracking reports either.

My boss (not to be confused with the owner) agrees with me that this is a very crappy thing to do, going back on his word about a raise and using it as leverage for whatever means, but I'm nto quite sure if this is something I want to leave over. The other workers say it is, and I see their points - a raise is a raise after all, and it's not quite fair to get jerked around like this.

Any opinions that anybody wants to throw out before I make my decision about this?
Last edited by Kas on Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"I love all those who are heavy drops, falling one by one out of the dark cloud that hangs over men: they herald as the advent of lightning, and, as heralds, they perish."
-Nietzsche

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:01 pm UTC

Employers believe that they can get away with things like that because workers have been known to put up with it because they need the money. You said yourself, you don't need the money. Quit, and try to find a job where they won't jerk you around. It'll be better for your dignity, probably better for your wallet, and it will send a message.

GreedyAlgorithm

Postby GreedyAlgorithm » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:44 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Employers believe that they can get away with things like that because workers have been known to put up with it because they need the money. You said yourself, you don't need the money. Quit, and try to find a job where they won't jerk you around. It'll be better for your dignity, probably better for your wallet, and it will send a message.

Before quitting threaten suit? Either it works and you get what you want and maybe the owner is upset with you but if it gets too bad you can just quit anyway, or it doesn't and you quit anyway.

How did you "get a raise"? If it's in writing, you're probably golden.
GENERATION 1-i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:47 pm UTC

Even if you did somehow manage 100%, my best estimation of human nature tells me he would find a way to excuse it as 99%. I could be wrong though... how easy would it be to find another job with similar wages?
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Kas

Postby Kas » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:21 am UTC

It's not really the pay though, I had good hours that were flexible with my school. I got along with everyone there, had a good boss, it's just the owner would swoop in every week or so and find somebody to take out his crap on, and I think he went too far when my pay got involved.

And no, no paperwork was involved, I asked for a raise and was told I will get one and for how much starting the next pay period (which was last Friday).
"I love all those who are heavy drops, falling one by one out of the dark cloud that hangs over men: they herald as the advent of lightning, and, as heralds, they perish."

-Nietzsche

rlo

Postby rlo » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:47 am UTC

Kas wrote:It's not really the pay though, I had good hours that were flexible with my school. I got along with everyone there, had a good boss, it's just the owner would swoop in every week or so and find somebody to take out his crap on, and I think he went too far when my pay got involved.

These are important things. Yes, the raise thing sucks, but you'd be leaving a job that sounds pretty darn good because someone who's not even there most of the time did something jerky.

Suppose your boss had said no to the raise. Would you have left then? Just something to think about.

I'm not offering an opinion on whether to leave or not leave - but the things you have there sound pretty great.

Kas

Postby Kas » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:35 am UTC

=O

I'm going to go in tomorrow and tell him doing what he wants done is fine by me, but that it was over the line to mess with my pay after the fact, and if that is what he intends on following through with that I will quit on the sheer principle of it.

-Nietzsche

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:04 am UTC

Kas wrote:=O

I'm going to go in tomorrow and tell him doing what he wants done is fine by me, but that it was over the line to mess with my pay after the fact, and if that is what he intends on following through with that I will quit on the sheer principle of it.

Thats about what I'd do. I'd start looking for another job first though. Only on the basis that I could start out with the fact I was already looking else where, I'd go in as an offer to keep me, not a threat to quit. When I enter into situations like that, I often prepresume the outcome they expect me to consider risky so as to avoid the threats, they bore me.

Kas

Postby Kas » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:31 pm UTC

Just to keep those inerested updated...

I went in today, with every intention to give them my two week's notice and quit.

Apparently yesterday after I left there was this huge backlash towards the owner from the employees. My boss laid into him, hell, a guy who doesn't even work for us did the same.

My boss told me to write a letter of resignation and give it to the owner when he shows up today (he's 2 hours late) and that I'll be offered my old raise, plus another dollar raise, plus an extra dollar an hour bonus if the BS work he wants me to do is done.

One day and three dollars an hour later, can't really complain about how this panned out.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

-Nietzsche

rlo

Postby rlo » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:37 pm UTC

Kas wrote:One day and three dollars an hour later, can't really complain about how this panned out.

Cool, Kas. Congratulations!

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:14 am UTC

Wow, talk about community spirit, great outcome!

Congratulations.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:32 am UTC

yay :)
Congratulations!
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:49 am UTC

Just hope there is no hard feelings between you and the owner.

EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu

Postby EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:30 am UTC

Oh, awesome. Glad it worked out for you.
When you have at your disposal a hammer made of three spacefaring battleships, do you still need to pay taxes?

Return to “General”