Pool Table Etiquette?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

scrovak

Pool Table Etiquette?

Postby scrovak » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:55 pm UTC

I know there are generally accepted rules of pool table etiquette at bars, never food or drink on the table, never touch a ball in play, respect the order of who has 'next.' However, while I was at a bar last night, winning a game of pool against a team of three women, a shady looking fellow tucked $.75, the amount required to play, under one of the bumpers. I didn't notice it until toward the end of the game, and one of the women pointed it out. Unsure of it's meaning, i decided it best to just leave the table at the end of the game. Has anyone seen the before and, if so, what does it mean?
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

Surgery

Re: Pool Table Etiquette?

Postby Surgery » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

it means he has the pool table when you're done. a nerd analogy is putting your quarter on the machine to play next.

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:58 pm UTC

I'm in no way sure, but I've seen leaving the cost of a game as a way of calling 'next game' on a DDR Machine and such, could be the same?

EDIT: I was right! and ninja'd...
Last edited by SPsnow02 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Rawr!

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:59 pm UTC

I've seen it, it usually is a way of staking claim on the table after the current people have finished playing. I've also stacked tha change we intend to play with on the edge of the table, so people get an idea of how long they'll have to wait for the table.
EDIT: Ninja'd
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

There's different etiquette depending where you are. Around here the general etiquette is to put your money on the table. When your money's gone (not stolen, that is), you're off. But I used to frequent a pub where it would always be winner stays on in the evening, newcomer pays, and you wrote down your names in order on the board. If you wanted to play a friend you would have to put both your names down and hope the first person won. If you were good you'd play free pool all night. I liked that system, it got you talking to people and the whole pub involved.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:20 pm UTC

Surgery wrote:it means he has the pool table when you're done. a nerd analogy is putting your quarter on the machine to play next.

Yeah, and I fucking hate that. You don't get to bump me off a machine just because you and some other people decided on an arbitrary system that allows it. My arbitrary system says I am playing until I stop, so fuck off.

At a bar where there are a lot of people and only a small number of pool tables, it's a little different, but it still grates on me.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

BMW787

Postby BMW787 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
Surgery wrote:it means he has the pool table when you're done. a nerd analogy is putting your quarter on the machine to play next.

Yeah, and I fucking hate that. You don't get to bump me off a machine just because you and some other people decided on an arbitrary system that allows it. My arbitrary system says I am playing until I stop, so fuck off.

At a bar where there are a lot of people and only a small number of pool tables, it's a little different, but it still grates on me.

I dunno. It seems fair. If there is *hypothetically* one bar in town and that par has one pool table I dont want to have to get there really fucking early to play one damn game. I should have the option of a line where I am guaranteed to be able to play a game without other people hogging it for hours.
"I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence." -Ricky Bobby

"Grow up and do coke like an adult." -Daniel Tosh

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:

You could try winning. Then you get to play for as long as you want.

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:You could try winning. Then you get to play for as long as you want.

Do I detect a zinger?
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

3fj

Postby 3fj » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:35 pm UTC

Here it means that the guy stakes his claim once you have finished. Or that's what I've always taken it to mean, and I haven't been glassed just yet...
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:36 pm UTC

BMW787 wrote:
Mr. Bakerstein wrote:

I dunno. It seems fair. If there is *hypothetically* one bar in town and that par has one pool table I dont want to have to get there really fucking early to play one damn game. I should have the option of a line where I am guaranteed to be able to play a game without other people hogging it for hours.
And that to me says it's time for your local watering hole to buy another damn table.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:50 pm UTC

I see a lot of these here in the Pennsylvania bar scenes:
quarter holder.jpg
quarter holder.jpg (4.19 KiB) Viewed 5093 times
In large crowds, you will see these quarter holders fill up with quarters, sometimes with a piece of tissue with someone's initials on top. You get one game with your buddy, and the next quarter gets to go, and you move all the remaining quarters down. This little plastic thing alone settles alot of turn arguements.

Coin

Postby Coin » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

How do you prove it's your quarter though? They all look alike to me.
And how do you know which corner to put the coin on? If there are suddenly quarters on all four corners, who gets to play?
Or will they have to enter The Thunderdome?
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:31 am UTC

I think the idea is - if there's money on the table, it's claimed. Don't put any money down, just so you can avoid such confusion.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:46 am UTC

Or play at an actual pool hall, rather than a bar with 5 people waiting per table...

Or maybe I'm just used to Rack 'em up. That place was golden.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:27 am UTC

At my university, and in fact most pubs around, once a coin is down on the table that is the order in which people play their games. In fact it doesnt even need the correct amount of money on table, just any coin to signify your go. It's like the coin equivalent of queuing* up for a game. Some people choose to put a 2p down on a 50p table so they know which is their go, and can't be cheated out of a turn.
It seems all a bit much for a game of pool, but it seems to work with no arguments

*how do you spell queueing
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:14 am UTC

I've never heard about coins 'under' the bumper.

As for coins on all four corners, wherever I've played and it's been like this, you put the coins on top of the bumper, right above where the coins get put in.

And you often see different denominations than what is required, so as to more easily claim your spot. I've seen up to 6 coins lined up.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I think the idea is - if there's money on the table, it's claimed. Don't put any money down, just so you can avoid such confusion.

Or, if you're planning on playing a lot of games, line them quarters up.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:11 am UTC

scrovak wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:You could try winning. Then you get to play for as long as you want.

Do I detect a zinger?

Someone translate the above posts for me, I don't speak douchebag and babelfish gives me no love.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:03 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
scrovak wrote:

Do I detect a zinger?

Someone translate the above posts for me, I don't speak douchebag and babelfish gives me no love.

Irony!
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:10 pm UTC

I got pwned pretty hard there, scrub.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Yeah, and I fucking hate that. You don't get to bump me off a machine just because you and some other people decided on an arbitrary system that allows it. My arbitrary system says I am playing until I stop, so fuck off.

I fucking hate people who hog the machine all day?
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:56 pm UTC

There is indeed more than one type of annoying person in an arcade.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:03 pm UTC

Just saying that I don't think "take turns" is terribly arbitrary, though the method by which those turns are represented may or may not be.
31/M/taken/US

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:13 pm UTC

Going off-topic, Regarding VG arcades: It depends on the machine. If you're playing something like Star Wars Arcade, you could keep plugging money in until you get past the final stage (although the most skilled get through the whole thing in one credit.) After that you usually give the game up to someone that is waiting.

Annoying person #1 will demand that if you keep dying you should give it up.
Annoying person #2 will put two credits in, beat the game in one credit, and demand to keep playing because he/she still has money in the machine, as if you can't hand them 1 dollar and be even.

Something more of a crane game type is less known to me; I would say take turns going back and forth with each credit, or each 5 credits?

What bothers me in fighter arcade games when I'm happily playing 1-player and there are other identical machines, but some person, saying nothing, comes up and puts in a credit, whoops me, and knocks me off the game. Now they're playing 1-player and I'm out a credit. Its an empty arcade, Annoying person #3... ASK me if I want to play you, dammit.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

It's one thing to ask politely when I'll be done, and/or whether you can take a turn after this game/life/whatever. It's another to invent a system of etiquette whereby you passive-aggressively signal that you are going next and I have no right to object because this is how things are done. And like a lot of passive-aggressive behavior, it's a brute force way of getting what you want that's disguised as being polite and orderly simply so that the passive-aggressive party can feel justified in escalating their aggression if the other person objects—so they can feel like the victim. And that is what I strongly object to. Even worse when they actually put the quarter in the machine while you're playing.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:44 pm UTC

I've never actually been forced to think about this, so this is kind of interesting :-)
Bakemaster wrote:It's one thing to ask politely when I'll be done, and/or whether you can take a turn after this game/life/whatever. It's another to invent a system of etiquette whereby you passive-aggressively signal that you are going next and I have no right to object because this is how things are done. And like a lot of passive-aggressive behavior, it's a brute force way of getting what you want that's disguised as being polite and orderly simply so that the passive-aggressive party can feel justified in escalating their aggression if the other person objects—so they can feel like the victim. And that is what I strongly object to. Even worse when they actually put the quarter in the machine while you're playing.

Speaking strictly from a dance game perspective, since that's all I play really -- Everywhere I've gone there's always been some form of "line", be it a coin line on the machine, or a piece of paper next to or taped on to the side of the machine where people write their names and cross them off when they've played, or just a generally understood rotation (where we'll allow a newcomer to jump in at any point). After your round, if you want to play again, you get back in line. It's always seemed very fair to me -- everyone gets equal time to play. If someone wants to get that "one more game before they leave" then more than likely they'll be let on the machine, assuming people aren't being complete douchebags.

For other games, where there's "lives" or time or what-have-you, I would see this extending to something like "when you stop putting credits in for the current game, you're done". Dunno though.
31/M/taken/US

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

I never really played dance games, and when I was spending time at arcades back in the day there was usually only one or two of those machines per arcade, and they were hugely popular; so it made sense to just do one song at a time. I would mostly play fighters or side-scrollers, where there are dozens of similar (sometimes identical) machines in a row, and never really a "line" (unless you were playing the newest Mortal Kombat, whichever that was).

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:29 pm UTC

RE: dance games.
I am one of those people who do the dance games on expert. A couple of my friends can do medium settings, but when I have a go on expert I'll always be doing it on my own. There's two types of people that occur when this happens.
1. The nice quiet people who will stand and watch because they are interested with what is going on. The people you don't notice until you finish a song and turn around.
2. FUCKING KIDS. On several occasions I've had a kids jump up on the pads next to me (as theres usually two per game) and start stomping around like maniacs. Don't do that. I've paid my money like anyone else. You wouldn't stand next to someone doing a racing game making fucking car noises in their ears.

edit: to relate this to the thread. The annoying kids then proceed to jump onto the machine once your done and put their money in, before you've even stepped off the machine yourself. How do they know I'm done?
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

elminster

Postby elminster » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

Around here, it's generally well accepted etiquette that a coin on the side of a pool table is someone waiting to play. Although I have seen some kids push their luck with putting a stack of 5 coins down. This wasn't in the friendliest of bars, so we went somewhere which had a handful of people in, none of which were playing (nor played when we stopped).

Sure, there's no rules, but they're still being douches. Like someone getting injured while robbing someone's house, then suing them. Sure, it's within the rules, but they deserve a good punching.

Return to “General”