Confused?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Chfan

Confused?

Postby Chfan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:13 pm UTC

If you're confused about anything at all, post it up here.

I'm confused as to why I still insist on going on Guild Wars even though i gave it up a while ago.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

<nyssa>

Re: Confused?

Postby <nyssa> » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:16 pm UTC

Hey wow, ask and ye shall receive. I should have gone and started this myself, if not for that whole too shy part =P.

Anyhow, I'm confused frequently, but at the moment by the fireworks I can hear. I don't live near a large expanse of ground or anything, so I am led to believe these are happening in someone's backyard. Strikes me as a bit dangerous.

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:23 pm UTC

<nyssa> wrote:Anyhow, I'm confused frequently, but at the moment by the fireworks I can hear. I don't live near a large expanse of ground or anything, so I am led to believe these are happening in someone's backyard. Strikes me as a bit dangerous.

It's not too dangerous, unless you are using some big fireworks or are an idiot, you need very little room to use them.

Im confused by how school has come to a standstill, does this mean I will never make it to college?
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

Two9A

Postby Two9A » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:38 pm UTC

I'm confused that people are still using the site I'm working on, even though it's Good Friday. Don't these people have anything better to do than sit at work on an intranet site?

(Let's ignore the glaring hole in my logic, that I'm working on a bank holiday. Yes, let's do that.)
The Unofficial "Making xkcd Slightly Worse" Archive [Incomplete]: xkcdsw.com
Articles that fall out of my head about once a month: imrannazar.com

Sp00n

Postby Sp00n » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

Strawberries aren't fruit.

WHAT ARE THEY?!?!
"Did she kiss as good as me?"

"As well as you.
"

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:03 pm UTC

Vegetable? In any case, do not meddle in the affairs categorizations of wizards biologists.

I'm confused about how co-NP can be considered a more general/bigger set than NP.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

sparks

Postby sparks » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:16 pm UTC

Two9A wrote:I'm confused that people are still using the site I'm working on, even though it's Good Friday. Don't these people have anything better to do than sit at work on an intranet site?

(Let's ignore the glaring hole in my logic, that I'm working on a bank holiday. Yes, let's do that.)

I'm not at work and I'm online. I don't actually mind Good Friday much. I'm an atheist, so I'm not going to celebrate/mourn anyone now, so it's just another day.

I'm confused as to why a certain website isn't working.
(icon by clockwork-harlequin.net)
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." ~ Oscar Wilde

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:44 pm UTC

Apparently they are "accessory fruit, false fruit, spurious fruit, or pseudocarp."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessory_fruit
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

0range

Postby 0range » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:02 pm UTC

I have a cold and I'm confused - why does my body need to make gallons of mucus?
"A person who persists in believing what is not true or disbelieving what is true can waste a lifetime of effort on something that is without hope of success."

E. Jayne

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:12 pm UTC

Supposedly to block any more "bad germs" from entering your body. However, it's a bit buggy and it makes you produce way more than it's necessarily good for you. At least that's what I know.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

SOSkanesumi ARK

Postby SOSkanesumi ARK » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:30 am UTC

im confused, do the women who i think like me actually like me, or are they messing with me, or am i messing with myself by thinking they like me but dont?
Navi> hey luke hows han these days?
<luke> han?
<Navi> solo
* luke facepalms

seladore

Postby seladore » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:19 am UTC

I'm confused as to why the first hint that summer might be on the way convinces my body to dump industrial quantities of histamines into my system, turning me from a normal human being into some kind of mobile mucous-producing headache.

Damn trees flinging DNA at each other.
Last edited by seladore on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

MuffledScreams

Postby MuffledScreams » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:02 am UTC

I'm confused myself. Why is it NOW that I'm leaving a long time friend comes on to me. She knew she liked me before... now that I'm leaving she wants to throw herself at me and make things weird. I just lost a good friend because she did the same, and it got awkward. This one made me promise her that if I'm not married by the time I get back from the military that she is going to steal me from the dating pool once and forever. She's a real catch too... story of my life, what timing.

lol

Rachel!

Postby Rachel! » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:16 am UTC

I'm confused by the rather raucous sounds of dogs shrieking and barking at night I've heard twice in the last 3 months. I'm not confused as to the source (I'm guessing it's a dog fight), but I'm confused as to where it is, and how something like that could go on in what seems to be a civilized, relatively high-population suburban area.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:13 am UTC

Why is it that if I sleep for an hour and a half and get woke up I feel refreshed and well-rested, but after 6-8 hours I can hardly get out of bed?
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:42 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Why is it that if I sleep for an hour and a half and get woke up I feel refreshed and well-rested, but after 6-8 hours I can hardly get out of bed?
I remember reading about this somewhere else.
Wikipedia wrote:In humans, each sleep cycle lasts from 90 to 110 minutes on average[...]

Apparently, waking up at the end of a sleep cycle (a cycle meaning going from light -> deep -> light sleep) would make you feel less tired, since you are closer to being awake. So if you after an hour and a half of sleep are at the end of your sleep cycle you could feel more refreshed waking up than you would waking up from deep sleep, even though you had more sleep.

MuffledScreams

Postby MuffledScreams » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:14 pm UTC

I think it has to do with WHEN you are sleeping more so than how MUCH sleep you receive along with your body's sleep cycle. If you wake UP at the same time and notice that you feel unrested try getting up either 15 mins earlier or later because it changes the time and stage of sleep at which you will be in at the time you wake.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

I'm confused as to why companies spend €millions on advanced technologies, security and software packages, yet IE6 appears to be the standard browser in any office I've worked in.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:32 pm UTC

Rachel! wrote:I'm confused by the rather raucous sounds of dogs shrieking and barking at night I've heard twice in the last 3 months. I'm not confused as to the source (I'm guessing it's a dog fight), but I'm confused as to where it is, and how something like that could go on in what seems to be a civilized, relatively high-population suburban area.

It's entirely possible that they are foxes. They make a *lot* of noise when they have sexytimes.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:33 pm UTC

Felstaff, there are just some things that humanity will never be able to fathom. Like how Bush got elected. Or how a forum can devote about 150 or so pages of text to the foodstuff known as bacon.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:33 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I'm confused as to why companies spend €millions on advanced technologies, security and software packages, yet IE6 appears to be the standard browser in any office I've worked in.
I'm confused as to why a certain disaster relief charity in the US better known for their blood-related work insists on using a web-application that cannot be rendered in anything but IE6.... and has so far not seemed to notice there is an issue with this.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:46 pm UTC

Chfan wrote:Felstaff, there are just some things that humanity will never be able to fathom. Like how Bush got elected. Or how a forum can devote about 150 or so pages of text to the foodstuff known as bacon.

Im confused on how one could NOT spend 150 pages on bacon... glorious bacon!
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

Daojia
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Daojia » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:11 am UTC

I'm also concerned I'm going to be eaten for asking this, but there's no explanation anywhere I can find; where did ¡This cheese is burning me! come from?
Sapere aude.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:29 am UTC

Dr. Tran.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:11 am UTC

omnomnom

I'm confused why someone would IM me this out of the blue (both messages within 7 seconds), and then not reply at all:
them: hi
them: night
O.o I suppose they may have seen my status was "ZZZZzzzz" (although I don't think MSN shows that; I don't see it on myself in my buddy list), but when I replied it should have been clear I hadn't actually gone to bed yet...
Allenr wrote:
Chfan wrote:Felstaff, there are just some things that humanity will never be able to fathom. Like how Bush got elected. Or how a forum can devote about 150 or so pages of text to the foodstuff known as bacon.
Im confused on how one could NOT spend 150 pages on bacon... glorious bacon!
How much is there to say about bacon though?
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

iscrewupCOPPAquestions

Postby iscrewupCOPPAquestions » Sat May 02, 2009 4:59 am UTC

Well this morning I had a dream where I was in a coffee shop on campus, and some random chick asked me to correct her essay that was 34 pages long. I agreed. It was mostly about Jackie Chan (reading his blog too much) and the environment. I looked down and I was already on page 16. It looked exactly like -Page 16- at the bottom. I woke up and -Page 16- was burned into my mind. So when I woke up I went outside and looked around. The sun was just breaking through the clouds after a rain. I went up to the roof of the Student Union for a better view and hopefully some sweet pictures. When I got up there the 4 Non Blondes one-hit-wonder "What's Going On" was stuck in my head. And so I screamed from the top of my lungs "HEY! WHAT'S GOING ON?" I am confused about the significance of -Page 16-.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sun May 03, 2009 4:31 am UTC

I'm confused as to why my hometown won't build another public high school. Sure the economy is shit (or so people tell me), but they needed one years before things went south. For that matter, I'm confused as to why any of the school I have attended do a lot of the shit they do. Almost none of it makes much sense.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Mous

Postby Mous » Mon May 04, 2009 3:47 am UTC

I'm confused as to why people use apostrophes when pluralizing something. e.g. DVD's, banana's, etc.
Then again grammar in general confuses me.
Last edited by Mous on Mon May 04, 2009 3:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon May 04, 2009 3:53 am UTC

Mous wrote:I'm confused as to why people use apostrophes when pluralizing something. ie DVD's, banana's, etc.

It's actually correct for abbreviations iirc. Or at least it is for single characters (I got A's).

Oh, and that should be e.g. Not i.e.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Mous

Postby Mous » Mon May 04, 2009 3:57 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Mous wrote:I'm confused as to why people use apostrophes when pluralizing something. ie DVD's, banana's, etc.

It's actually correct for abbreviations iirc. Or at least it is for single characters (I got A's).

Oh, and that should be e.g. Not i.e.

I learned that in Latin, but I always forget. I'll fix it.
It would make sense for single characters, otherwise you may confuse A's with as, or I's with is... Banana's, however, does not work.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

Return to “General”