[SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

crickets

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQ Thread - Queer Support!

Postby crickets » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:49 pm UTC

aside:

So, got my birthday present from my mom. Owl lunchbox, key toppers, lots of candy.... drawing supplies, socks... and tucked in the verrrry bottom, a little thing of pride stickers.

She's so cute when she tries to be supportive. I don't know what i'm going to do with them, i'm not much of a sticker person, but it really is the thought that counts.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

General_Norris wrote:Hey, I realized I don't really know exactly how expensive a sex change operation is. Since you guys know much better than I do could you give me a rough estimate?

The prices seem to be pretty uniform across different locations, from what I've seen. This doctor, based in Miama, Florida, charges $13,500 for MtF surgery and $12,500+ for FtM. Another doctor in Pennsylvania charges $17,500 for MtF and $15,500+ for FtM. In Thailand, Dr. Chettawut charges $10,200 for MtF surgery. Dr. James Bellringer in England asks approximately $14,200 for MtF.

So for MtF surgery you're looking at anywhere from $10k to $18k, and for FtM it's $12k to $16k. All of these prices are from a few Google searches, though, so I could be totally off. :oops:

Edit:

Aww, that's great crickets. Incredibly sweet and thoughtful of your mum. And happy birthday! :D

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:49 am UTC

Aw, that's so sweet of your mom :] It's the little things like that, I think, that really show support. And happy birthday!

Also, recently I've decided that I'm also asexual. I've been kinda swaying back and forth on that, but after reading stuff on asexuality at, oddly enough, tvtropes, I realized something that I was missing. I've known that I don't really get physically attracted to people; I can never say I've ever though anyone looked attractive. So that was psuhing me into asexual, but I also (theoretically) enjoy sex, so I was kinda sitting on the edge. After readon more though, I realized that whether or not I enjoy sex doesn't matter at all for asexuality. It's all about attraction, which I really don't have any physical, sexual attraction. So, that's kinda nice to realize now =).
Woo! I'm having fun being my transsexual bisexual asexual self! :]

If I feel particularly brave this weekend, I might come out to my friend when I see him again. But there will be other people. so probably not. But maybe...
And I still haven't done anything about my voice
"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
— Oscar Wilde

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:29 am UTC

Asexuality looks pretty likely to me as well.

So, I met someone who is damn near perfect for what I need right now. We like each other a lot, at least a very strong friendship if not a relationship. She's bi. She (unlike most people, I find) is actually capable of understanding how I feel regarding gender, as she has some mild dysphoria herself. Something as simple as wearing her bracelet, and looking at my hand and wrist delighted me. I wanted to cry. But, of course, I pretty much can't. And, perhaps best of all, she's willing to help me with things like clothes and hair.

After getting more comfortable with my current therapist (general, not trans specific. My head's pretty screwy), I've decided that I'm going to start talking to him about obtaining hormones. How significant is fat redistribution, by the way?

And hair. Fucking hair. The hair on my head is a full 14 inches long. That's good. Unfortunately, due to some italian genes, I am seriously hairy. I had caterpillar eyebrows until about a week ago when I trimmed and plucked them (to mild success. I'm grateful for bangs). Sideburns, mustache, and beard areas are black, thick, and grow fast. There's hair on my knuckles. On my toes. The backs of my hands. the tops of my feet. And, worst of all, a lot of it has 2 hairs per follicle. Shaving it is useless. It's stubble for a day and it's back in force in less than a week.

Wow, that was... bloggy.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:42 am UTC

Don't worry about being bloggy, I can't seem to write anything else. In good news, I tried getting a feminine voice and got some measure of success. I'm gonna ask my mom how it sounds tomorrow, and I might upload some recordings if I find something to record it with at my house. Yay for doing weird things at 1:00 AM when I'm supposed to be asleep! :P
— Oscar Wilde

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:52 pm UTC

Bloggy things are good. We can type them and then post them and people can read them and see and understand that there are people going through these very same things. And that always helps.

asexual

This was one of the first things I jumped to when I first started trying to figure myself out. It was easy, fit pretty well, and gave me something to hold onto.

Of course, life can't be that simple. It can't ever be that easy. While it may still be that to some degree, it just isn't it. This is where I queue in the bipolar, (attraction/sex drive completely dies whenever I get depressed) the gender dysphoria related sex aversion, and the internalized transphobic bullshit shame about being transsexual and liking, well, anybody. And then there's me trying to figure out what genders of people I'm into, on top of the trying to figure out if I even like people at all.

And that's why I don't feel the need to put that sort of tag on myself. If I like someone and feel like acting on it, great, I can tell them I like them. awesome. If not, okay. I just don't identify with a sexual orientation. I don't need to and trying to just makes a mess and confuses everyone. And I like this. It feels good to just refuse, and do/act on whatever impulses or feelings I get. to refuse to be categorized, refuse to fit into anyone's little boxes. And if they don't like it, tough. I don't owe them anything.

(woo!)

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:17 pm UTC

nbonaparte wrote:Asexuality looks pretty likely to me as well.

So, I met someone who is damn near perfect for what I need right now. We like each other a lot, at least a very strong friendship if not a relationship. She's bi. She (unlike most people, I find) is actually capable of understanding how I feel regarding gender, as she has some mild dysphoria herself. Something as simple as wearing her bracelet, and looking at my hand and wrist delighted me. I wanted to cry. But, of course, I pretty much can't. And, perhaps best of all, she's willing to help me with things like clothes and hair.

That's great news, nbonaparte! At this point in time, it seems that you need allies, not a close relationship. When you've been on hormones for a while, don't be surprised if you feel less asexual.

nbonaparte wrote:After getting more comfortable with my current therapist (general, not trans specific. My head's pretty screwy), I've decided that I'm going to start talking to him about obtaining hormones. How significant is fat redistribution, by the way?

And hair. Fucking hair. The hair on my head is a full 14 inches long. That's good. Unfortunately, due to some italian genes, I am seriously hairy. I had caterpillar eyebrows until about a week ago when I trimmed and plucked them (to mild success. I'm grateful for bangs). Sideburns, mustache, and beard areas are black, thick, and grow fast. There's hair on my knuckles. On my toes. The backs of my hands. the tops of my feet. And, worst of all, a lot of it has 2 hairs per follicle. Shaving it is useless. It's stubble for a day and it's back in force in less than a week.

And shaving knuckles without cutting yourself is extremely tedious. :) The effect of hormones on fat distribution & body hair varies from person to person, I'm afraid. Same with breast development. Generally, the earlier you start, the better the result. Having said that, many MTF people find that the breast size they acheive is about 1 cup size smaller than their mother & sisters. Hormones will make the hair on your head thicker, and your body hair finer (and your skin softer). I recommend saving up for electrolysis. Laser treatments are getting better, but are still not as effective as electrolysis.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:23 pm UTC

With a little practice, I find knuckles and toes can be ideal for waxing. You can pick up sugaring-type do-it-yourself wax at the drugstore for probably not a lot of money.

I also found I can shave my own knuckles if I use something with multiple blades. It becomes much harder to cut yourself.

If anybody wants to ask/vent about being a poor person with lots and lots of body hair, feel free to PM me.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:37 pm UTC

I tried using a sugaring-type substance a couple of times, and it was useless on my hair. My body hair isn't that thick, but it is fairly tough. Being a coward, I haven't tried actual waxing :) (although there is a waxing salon across the street from my apartment). My favourite way to remove body hair is by dry shaving, usually with a single blade razor with the safety guard removed, using baby powder as a lubricant. I posted the details (or a link to them) in one of my first posts to this thread.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:46 pm UTC

I consider myself fairly lucky...it takes ~2 months for leg hair to become at all visible after shaving, but I chalk it up to not having much hair there anyways, and being extremely blonde. I usually shave with conditioner as a lubricant with a multi-bladed razor. Softens and moisturizes and doesn't get too gooky, as I find most foaming things do.

Still really confused about girls. Really, really confused.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:28 pm UTC

nbonaparte wrote:Sideburns, mustache, and beard areas are black, thick, and grow fast. There's hair on my knuckles. On my toes. The backs of my hands. the tops of my feet. And, worst of all, a lot of it has 2 hairs per follicle. Shaving it is useless. It's stubble for a day and it's back in force in less than a week.
:( I get a lot of fast-growing body hair all over too, although thankfully my facial hair is somewhat manageable. My sympathies.

Wednesday wrote: consider myself fairly lucky...it takes ~2 months for leg hair to become at all visible after shaving, but I chalk it up to not having much hair there anyways, and being extremely blonde.
Ennnnvvious.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

I wish my body hair didn't grow that much =(. It takes forever to shave it and I only have a couple days before I have to shave it off again. My current strategy us just to shave whenever I decide to wear a skirt. Otherwise I just ignore it and don't look at my legs. I wear pants all the time anyway.
— Oscar Wilde

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:57 pm UTC

My experience with shaving non-facial hair is that an electric trimmer and razor is the way to go. It requires an upfront investment, but is fast, painless (so long as you used the trimmer first), and bloodless (so long as you keep it somewhat well-maintained).

Of course, the downside is that you will probably have stubble everywhere you shaved after a while, which can be a giant downside.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:32 pm UTC

yeah, I have an electric. It gets the majority of it off, but there's still more than enough to be visible.

I wear pants all the time anyway.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:09 am UTC

Thanks StrenghtInFaith =D It seems to be cheaper than I thought, I guess that surgery is becoming more common.

Van

Postby Van » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:05 am UTC

StrengthInFaith wrote:
General_Norris wrote:Hey, I realized I don't really know exactly how expensive a sex change operation is. Since you guys know much better than I do could you give me a rough estimate?

The prices seem to be pretty uniform across different locations, from what I've seen.

This is pretty accurate, but there are quite a few surgeons over 20k these days, such as Dr Bowers at 24k (her page says 22, but that's not accurate..). It's also important to keep in mind that that's just the surgery. It doesn't include travel, food and lodging for the usually-two-weeks after you're discharged, SRS letters, genital electrolysis and/or laser, and general expenses from not being able to work for 4-8 weeks. From what I can gather, MTF surgery from a US surgeon, Brassard, or "upper price tier" Thai surgeon will cost around 26-30k, all said and done. On the flipside, I know a girl that went to Dr Preecha for 14k in total, and she's pretty obnoxiously happy with it. Sorry for rambling there, but surgery is a pretty big goal of mine at the moment :oops:

PM 2Ring wrote:When you've been on hormones for a while, don't be surprised if you feel less asexual.
I sooo agree with this. I had never really experienced any form of physical attraction, but after about 10 months on estrogen, things changed. These days, boys smell really good, and I'm pretty much intimately familiar with the phrase "butterflies in your stomach." Equal parts awesome and frustrating, for now.

hair stuff
What PM 2Ring said is pretty spot on, but I will disagree a little about laser; if you have light-ish skin and dark hair, laser is pretty ridiculously effective. It's also much, much faster at clearing large areas, even if the kill rate isn't quite as high. I've also found that for shaving, multiple blades seems to make it harder to cut myself. I'm not quite sure how that works, but I don't question it :D
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:20 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:My experience with shaving non-facial hair is that an electric trimmer and razor is the way to go.

To clarify, is this electric {trimmer and razor} or {electric trimmer} and razor?
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:12 pm UTC

I had never really experienced any form of physical attraction, but after about 10 months on estrogen, things changed. These days, boys smell really good, and I'm pretty much intimately familiar with the phrase "butterflies in your stomach." Equal parts awesome and frustrating, for now.

I agree; I'm in the fourth week of my ninth month of HRT, and compared to before starting it, I was downright numb. And I kept finding out these things, like Wikipedia wrote, "One common problem [in scientific studies on sexual fantasy] is that women will imagine romantic imagery and become aroused, but not report the fantasy because it is not sexually explicit." I had once felt that when I was imagining being with someone while ballroom dancing, and I felt weird for that, so I was glad to find out I'm at least relatively normal in some respect. When I started HRT, I thought I wouldn't be able to feel anything until after surgery? Awesome and terrific and confusing.

My chest hair I'd been starting to develop nearly all went away on HRT, and my upper back hair and neck hair, too, but I still have belly and lower back hair... I started early enough to get rid of my chin hair, and my neck hair isn't anywhere near as bad. I need laser treatment to get rid of the rest.

I went to the courthouse/city hall on Wednesday to change my name. I was all ready with fancy court clothes I'd walked five miles to buy, my birth certificate, my social security card, my completed forms, my $160. But when I got into the office and waited 20 minutes, I got told that name change hearings for the rest of the week had been canceled and I should come back Monday. There was no notice on their website and that day I'd walked 1.5 miles to and from the bus stop, plus another mile from walking around downtown, to get there!

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:50 pm UTC

Along those lines, oh god I want to change my name so badly. I've never felt Alexandra fit, and I despise the link between my abusive father and my last name creates. Rawr, not being 18.

Reason for posting here: GAAAHHH I HAVE A DATE SHE IS ADORABLE Oh me yarm. I have always felt that I was at least physically attracted to women, especially rather androgynous women, as girl is, but I haven't felt romantic interest towards a girl *yet*. Don't know if it will happen, don't know if it won't... I'm really nervous. I can't imagine dating girls is any different than dating guys, except the sex might be better. Any tips/ ideas/ things to steer clear from in conversation? I am nervous o.o

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:01 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:To clarify, is this electric {trimmer and razor} or {electric trimmer} and razor?
The first. I've used disposable multi-blade razors on my leg, and it was long, painful, and bloody (since it was all that my friend had, and I foolishly thought using them would be faster than walking back to my dorm to get my electric). That may just be the inferior quality of disposable razors, but it fits in fairly well with my experience with using more expensive multi-blade razors on my face. I have not used my straight razor on anything besides my face, and it will most likely stay that way.
Last edited by Vaniver on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:06 pm UTC

Considering what people here have said, I think my long term plans for hair are going to be: electrolysis for the face. Laser (light skin and dark hair) and whatever thinning hormones does for body hair. Does that seem about right?

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

nbonaparte wrote:Considering what people here have said, I think my long term plans for hair are going to be: electrolysis for the face. Laser (light skin and dark hair) and whatever thinning hormones does for body hair. Does that seem about right?

Would laser not work for your face as well?
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:26 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
nbonaparte wrote:Considering what people here have said, I think my long term plans for hair are going to be: electrolysis for the face. Laser (light skin and dark hair) and whatever thinning hormones does for body hair. Does that seem about right?

Would laser not work for your face as well?

Laser is good at reduction, not complete elimination.

Van

Postby Van » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:07 pm UTC

nbonaparte, unless you're speaking from experience (like, gone in for a session or two), I'd super suggest trying it on your face as well.

The example I commonly use is this: I did 13 30-minute laser sessions on my face, spaced every 4 weeks, for a total of about $900. Around #10, I was able to go a few days without shaving and not have visible hair. From october-januaryish I took a break (mostly due to money) and at the end of that, yes, I had some regrowth and needed to shave every couple days, but it was nothing super insane. In february, I moved on to electrolysis and I've done around maybe...25 hours? at one hour/week (at $41/hour), but I haven't had to shave a single time since march. On the other hand, I can name a dozen women that went electrolysis for all of it, and I don't know a single one that needed less than 200-250 hours. YMMV and all, but I'd at least give it a shot if it's an option.
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:18 pm UTC

Okay then. That's good to hear.

Lioness

Postby Lioness » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:41 am UTC

I think I might be bi, but I'm not entirely sure. Girls are pretty, and soft. But I don't know whether the attraction is sexual, or purely aesthetic.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:26 pm UTC

Lioness wrote:I think I might be bi, but I'm not entirely sure. Girls are pretty, and soft. But I don't know whether the attraction is sexual, or purely aesthetic.

Well, you won't know until you try it. :) Our minds may say one thing, but ultimately it's what the body says that counts when it comes to sexual compatability. It's not uncommon for people to find themselves with aesthetic attraction to people they have little sexual attraction to, and vice versa. And if you find that girls aren't to your taste, there are plenty of boys that like to be soft & pretty too. :D

I reckon it's best to procede on a case by case basis. Personally, I generally find myself more attracted to feminine people than masculine people, of either sex, but there have been notable exceptions to that rule. :)

Don't fall into the trap of labels like "bi". These labels can be useful, as they indicate different regions of a complex territory with very fuzzy boundaries. However, when labels are used to define people & put them into little boxes, they are not so useful. The subtlety of the fuzzy boundaries is lost, replaced by sharp binary distinctions, thus creating a distorted picture of the true situation.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:26 pm UTC

re: laser - I've had 12 30 minute sessions of laser (on face), and currently, I have to shave maybe once a week. the hair that's left is very sparse, and is no more than what bio women have to deal with from time to time. If I ever have the chance I might electro the rest of the stragglers, but I'm really happy with the current results.

re: sex after hormones - Oh god is it different. I've been on hormones now for... fuck uh over 2 years? And, yeah... it's pretty awesome. attraction is different, and the experience is different. Better. More natural. Yay! There is still a reduction in drive which i'm not really happy about, but it's still great.

Re: SRS - I should chat with you Van. SRS is my current goal. I want to have it by my 30th birthday. oct 2014. Not sure if that's plausible, but I need to look into it more. I'm planning on going to Brassard, seeing as how Montreal is like in the next province over. I hope I have everything I need. I got a letter from a psychiatrist, and I've been living full time for years, and I have a full time counselor... hopefully I'm set!
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:30 pm UTC

*John Cleese, behind a desk with a BBC Microphone*

I went to my first pride thingy today. Was rather good, helped out on the bi stall, made people signing up for the mailing list kiss a toy lion :p Much fun, and got to know a few people a bit better yays. Not as bad as I thought, even if the music was a bit... stereotypical
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:06 am UTC

So there's this girl that likes me... and I mean I like her too, just not in the same way. Also, I'm not really into girls. It's really awkward because we're really close friends and I don't want to lose that. I figure that I should just straight up come out to her because I know she's pretty pro-LGBT and she deserves to know, but it's still just... weird.
Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do!
Silvyr wrote:I fucking love cocaine. I wish I could buy it somewhere...

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

http://www.hulu.com/watch/157910/rookie ... resh-paint

11 minutes into the premiere of this series, a trans woman is arrested and asked what medication she takes, she says, "Not bad, huh?" then adds, "I'm transgendered," in a way that paints her as a transvestite. Then the cops decide that a male should search her because she's a man and it says M on her ID with her old name still. Well, at least everyone thinks that show's horrible.

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

Oh ho ho ho! "Chick or dude"? Such hilarious hijinks! What a splendid example of comedy! :roll:

Dear lord, why does this count as entertainment in our culture?

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

The media is still playing catch-up when it comes to being at all respectful of trans people. -_-

In other news, photos from SF Pride currently in the progress of uploading. :)
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:07 pm UTC

Photos are done uploading! Here's a link to the album:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... d50fc77d5f

Van

Postby Van » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:24 am UTC

Jessica wrote:Re: SRS - I should chat with you Van. SRS is my current goal. I want to have it by my 30th birthday. oct 2014. Not sure if that's plausible, but I need to look into it more. I'm planning on going to Brassard, seeing as how Montreal is like in the next province over. I hope I have everything I need. I got a letter from a psychiatrist, and I've been living full time for years, and I have a full time counselor... hopefully I'm set!

I'd be down for chatting. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up going to Dr Preecha. All expenses included, I'm guesstimating 14-16k. Then again, even if I go with my goal of "save halfway, get a loan for the rest" and can actually pull that off, it'll still be close to 2 years, so that's a lot of time for self doubt to creep in. The whole bit where his rates are like, half of what more americanized surgeons charge is worrisome, even though he's trained pretty much every SRS-practicing surgeon in Thailand.

I'll go ahead and admit I don't know much, but I was under the impression SRS and other things were covered in a lot of Canada. Am I crazy?

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:27 am UTC

Thanks for the photos! I didn't know your name was Amber, but that's a nice name =). In upcoming news, I have my counseling meeting, and I plan on going there dressd up and, if I feel confident enough afterwords, I might ask my mom to take me to a store like that afterwords. Maybe, it really depends on how I feel.
Also, I had my friend over recently, after watching Toy Stroy 3 with a group of friends, but I didn't come out to him, so I'm gonna see if I can get him to come over again so I have another opportunity.
— Oscar Wilde

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:28 am UTC

Van wrote:The whole bit where his rates are like, half of what more americanized surgeons charge is worrisome, even though he's trained pretty much every SRS-practicing surgeon in Thailand.

One thing to keep in mind is cost of living is much different between the U.S. and Thailand. He might charge half of what U.S. surgeons do, but in terms of what he can buy in Thailand with that much versus what U.S. surgeons can buy in the U.S. with what they charge, he's actually probably better off than they are. ;)

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:36 am UTC

Awesome pictures, Aaeriele! I have to get out to one of those things someday. Luckily, I'll be 18 next year and I have relatives in Sacramento who'd be willing to help me out. I might be able to make it happen!

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:59 am UTC

Aaeriele wrote:The media is still playing catch-up when it comes to being at all respectful of trans people. -_-

To quote Otis Redding: "R_E_S_P_E_C_T, Find out what it means to me". Generally, the media don't have a clue about what it means to be respectful to trans people, and they don't seem very motivated to find out what that entails. It's still very common for the media to treat being trans as a subset (or more extreme form) of being gay.

Being ridiculed isn't great for one's sense of self-esteem. OTOH, it's much better than being treated like some kind of psychopathic sexual predator. Gay performers during World War 2 and the post-war period understood this logic, and deliberately set out to make themselves objects of humour. If you're already laughing at yourself, it doesn't hurt so much when others laugh at you. :)

I don't think trans-based humour is going to go away in a hurry. Most humour is based on some kind of unexpected juxtaposition, and situations involving sex / gender ambiguity can certainly provide plenty of oppportunity for such juxtapositions.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

Second doctor's appointment tomorrow.... /impatientandexcitedandstuff

Return to “General”