[SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQ Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Monika » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:50 pm UTC

*hugs* to Emi. Good luck with further prettifying yourself :D .

Your family's reaction to shaving arms and legs is so not logical. If you were a boy shaving your legs because you played soccer and taped your legs for the games they would not object. If you were a boy shaving your arms because you felt they are too hairy and you wanted to look more handsome "for the girls", they probably would not object either.

Let's hope they will get out of this Egyptian river eventually.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

joshz

Postby joshz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:I shaved yesterday. Arms and legs are mostly free of hair, though I did cut myself in a few places.

I'm incredibly happy with how it all came out and it feels awesome.

My parents... My grandmum said that I crucified myself and gave a blood sacrifice of myself. My mum said that it wasn’t normal, what I did, and should cover myself with pants and sleeves. She used fairly strong language about it. My grandpa cried, as he’s apparently worried about the path on which I’m traveling.

*sigh*
I'm glad youe like how it feels!

Also, more *tight hugs*. I really hope that youer family becomes more accepting. This is just not fair to youe. :(
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:33 pm UTC

...Males and females shave the hair on their body for reasons that have nothing to do with transgender stuff, all the time. Your family seems to be in that hypersensitive stage where everything is a sign of the earthquaking change in you. It's infuriating even to an internet stranger. *hugs*
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:39 pm UTC

*hugs for emi*
You are pretty awesome and I hope your family learns to be more accepting. If you ever want a place to crash and get away I'm just over in MIchigan! (I have no clue where you live so this is probably a silly offer)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:My grandmum said that I crucified myself and gave a blood sacrifice of myself.
I am not sure what this means and I am tempted to read it as supportive.
*hugs* for family trickiness. Hopefully they come around soon.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:24 pm UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:I shaved yesterday. Arms and legs are mostly free of hair, though I did cut myself in a few places.

I'm incredibly happy with how it all came out and it feels awesome.

My parents... My grandmum said that I crucified myself and gave a blood sacrifice of myself. My mum said that it wasn’t normal, what I did, and should cover myself with pants and sleeves. She used fairly strong language about it. My grandpa cried, as he’s apparently worried about the path on which I’m traveling.

*sigh*

*hugs for Emi*

I'm incredibly glad that it feels awesome to you.

Spoiler:
For what it's worth, when I do that, I often wear long shirts to cover my arms, mostly because I'm a complete coward. But you can still get the nice feeling when it's covered - not that I'm saying you should, if you don't want to, of course, just that for me, knowing that I've done that is enough.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:31 pm UTC

This comment thread on a note of Amie's on Facebook has become an almost textbook set of examples for Derailing for Dummies. :/
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:27 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:For what it's worth, when I do that, I often wear long shirts to cover my arms, mostly because I'm a complete coward.

Worried people will find out that you are a woman before you tell them, from shaved arms and legs? Probably no need to worry. E.g. my husband just shaved off the hairs on his arms, legs, chest and stomach and had me shave off those that he could not reach (more precisely he used chemical means to remove the leg hairs). This was not the first time, he gets too annoyed by his hair getting caught about once a year. He always wears short-sleaved clothing, also in winter. No reactions whatsoever.

On a vaguely related note: My little cis brother has had top surgery recently. The removal of his man-boobs greatly improved his mental health. It also left pretty long scars. So, for any FtMs lurking here (I read you guys make up 50% of the [binary-identified] trans population, so you must be around here somewhere ^^): If you want to go shirtless but aren't out, "I used to have a much higher BMI" could be a back-up plan if anyone asks.

On a completely unrelated note, I have met a spacebunny in real life!

Nordic Einar

Postby Nordic Einar » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:06 pm UTC

MBLGTACC was the most amazing thing I've ever done, and I fully intend to make a career out of my activism. My workshop went swimmingly.

I'm kind of in a post-conference squee fog.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:56 am UTC

What Aaeri said. I am annoyed. People are idiots sometimes. "I am alright with gay and trans rights but I will never socialize with a gay/trans person and I will always think of them as different because they're GAY/TRANS." GRAAAAAAAAAAH.

*hugs* for Emi.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

micco

Postby micco » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:37 pm UTC

Some good news from Finland, regarding the assault against the gay pride parade last summer. Three persons are going to be prosecuted for 87 assaults, possession of harmful objects and/or material, 71 cases of violating other peoples political liberties (or something like that) and obstructing a meeting. Hopefully they won't get away with just a ticket...
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

*hugs* for Amie

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:35 am UTC

Monika wrote:
Shivahn wrote:For what it's worth, when I do that, I often wear long shirts to cover my arms, mostly because I'm a complete coward.

Worried people will find out that you are a woman before you tell them, from shaved arms and legs? Probably no need to worry. E.g. my husband just shaved off the hairs on his arms, legs, chest and stomach and had me shave off those that he could not reach (more precisely he used chemical means to remove the leg hairs). This was not the first time, he gets too annoyed by his hair getting caught about once a year. He always wears short-sleaved clothing, also in winter. No reactions whatsoever.

I didn't say I was being particularly reasonable :P

I wish transphobia weren't so ubiquitous. I've been watching 30 Rock. It's a hilarious show. The writers are really smart. So it's doubly frustrating that they drop jokes about the transgendered, and use slurs. More in depth rant:
Spoiler:
They use the word "tranny" in an episode where they use the word "nigga" (in the friendly manner, the phrasing is roughly "I want you to be my brother, my homeboy, my nigga"). Guess which one still gets drowned out by a vacuum cleaner? I guess the censoring is probably not something I should fault the writers for, but come on, you don't need to use slurs in throwaway jokes.

There's another episode where a transvestite is referred to as "shim" and "freaky," among other things.

But the one that bugs me the most is, when defending his unorthodox decision to get married very, very quickly, Jack defends himself with "There are no rules in love, Lemon. My Princeton roommate did it the right way and dated his college girlfriend for 13 years, and the marriage didn’t last eight months. And now he’s a post-op transgender."

It manages to combine misused pronouns with a usage of the word "transgender" that makes my skin crawl (Hey, it's not a person, or a man or a woman, it's a transgender!) and to top it all off, it's used as the punchline for a joke about "look at how this poor fuck's life went all wrong." I mean, fuck. Apparently being transgendered is so wrong that we can use it as an example of just how wrong everything can go, because you can't get much worse than it.

Blegh. I was going to write some unrelated stuff about my gender, but I don't feel like it right now, because my search for which episode had that resulted in me stumbling across news articles on transsexual individuals and they've put my mood in predictable places.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:43 am UTC

I hate when shows I love and am enjoying throw in lines like that. I don't want to give up on a whole show because of a few mistakes, but it's just so...ugh.

Sometimes I wish I was blissfully ignorant of how offensive things are.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:46 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:I wish transphobia weren't so ubiquitous.

In a word, yes.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:55 am UTC

On the good news front: I found my college's LGBTQQ club! I've been searching the entirety of campus for weeks but couldn't find it anywhere. Turns out it's one club for the entirety of the Peralta colleges (there are four) and is therefore in downtown Oakland where is possible to reach from all the campuses. Hooray! And they even said I could bring my young (trans) friend despite him not being in school because they want to support as many people as possible.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:52 am UTC

Has anyone had any experience coping with gender dysphoria? My SO identifies as genderqueer (she prefers female pronouns) and she told me that sometimes her dysphoria upsets her. Is there something I can say or do to help? Her parents are homophobic so she can't go to them for help.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:23 am UTC

fersrs wrote:Has anyone had any experience coping with gender dysphoria?

Lots, as many do here.

Sometimes you barely notice it, other times it eats you alive, but it is always there. When it gets really bad, the sad truth is that there is nothing to do but wait for it to to subside to manageable levels. The only way to eliminate it is to change your body into how your brain expects it to be built. Which is a huge, expensive, painfully slow and life changing process.

Not really anything you can do but be loving and comforting, I'm afraid.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:57 am UTC

If there's a particular thing that happens to set off the dysphoria at a given time, you can help her try to avoid or distract herself from it, but sometimes you do just have to give her love and support and ride out the storm.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:20 am UTC

It really depends on the individual, and there's not much you can do, as has been said. Personally, if it's not bad enough, I can sometimes distract myself by immersing myself in something (escapism whoo!)

And sometimes there's nothing to do but cry.

So if she's like that, just be there for her, whether to cry or play a game or watch a movie with.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:33 am UTC

Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:44 am UTC

It's okay, the world decided we didn't count as a "real" discriminated class a long time ago.

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:56 am UTC

Wyvern wrote:Not really anything you can do but be loving and comforting, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the advice, all.
We're saving up to get her top surgery but it will take a while to have enough.
I'm trying to get her to tell me how I can help; she apologizes for being in a bad mood because of it and I wish she'd see that she can rely on me.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

I really hope that Canada passes the pro-trans bill...
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:21 pm UTC

According to the Bem Sex role Inventory which we did in class this week, I'm gender undifferentiated. Just now, sitting re-lacing boots, worrying about my nail polish I felt very androgynous. The nail polish is for a party I'm going to in drag tonight. I went to post this, and my screensaver was showing Eddie Izzard.

This has been an odd week in my head.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:According to the Bem Sex role Inventory which we did in class this week, I'm gender undifferentiated. Just now, sitting re-lacing boots, worrying about my nail polish I felt very androgynous. The nail polish is for a party I'm going to in drag tonight. I went to post this, and my screensaver was showing Eddie Izzard.

This has been an odd week in my head.

You should totally take photos to show us!
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:11 am UTC

Unfortunately, my phone camera has no flash so it was too dark for me to take pictures. Also, a last minute outfit change meant I wasn't really in drag at all, despite wearing more women's clothing than the guy who was actually in drag... And he was counting each stocking separately.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:00 am UTC

Whelan wrote:According to the Bem Sex role Inventory which we did in class this week, I'm gender undifferentiated. Just now, sitting re-lacing boots, worrying about my nail polish I felt very androgynous. The nail polish is for a party I'm going to in drag tonight. I went to post this, and my screensaver was showing Eddie Izzard.

Heh. Love the image of nail polish getting chipped by lacing up boots, and Ezzie Iddard (might as well finish the typo) is many kinds of win all rolled into one adorable and insanely witty bundle.

In sort-of-related WTFs, I just goog'd and took the BSRI. The results were (roughly) 60% masculine, 60% feminine, and 60% androgynous. I have no bloody idea what that means. I'm 40% non-gendered and 60% both-gendered? The hell? :wink:

I recently did an important piece of emotional work with my therapist. It was all about an early turning point in my relationship with my adoptive mother, where I learned to fear for my life around her and therefore pretty much everyone else ever. (It probably would never have had that kind of impact on me if I hadn't first gone through a poorly-handled adoption, where the infant me learned that yes in fact a mother can vanish forever and leave me completely alone forever. (It's a long story.))

Getting past the fear and beaten-down feeling and back into my own internally-generated power... It will take months, probably years, to reintegrate long-forgotten parts of myself back into my daily life. The first FECKING OBVIOUS sign of this came earlier this week. I had my first experience (ever, I think) of having a penis. I literally sat there, at the kitchen table half-reading a magazine and vaguely thinking about gender and crap, and suddenly there it was: a virtual (or phantom?) penis and balls resting comfortably on my groin. I also felt a surge of feelings that I have often visited in daydreams, feelings of being self-powered and future-focused, rather than the self-centered and past-focused tendencies that seem to be my default mode.

It didn't last long, but hmm. I look forward to what else might come up as I keep working with my past, present and future, all of it funneled through the peculiar* neurology that formed in me through a combination of genetics and environment, ideals and experience, instinct and education. Brains (and bodies) are funny, fascinating things.

* dictionary definition intended here: "unique or specific to a person or thing or category".
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:59 am UTC

poxic wrote:In sort-of-related WTFs, I just goog'd and took the BSRI. The results were (roughly) 60% masculine, 60% feminine, and 60% androgynous. I have no bloody idea what that means. I'm 40% non-gendered and 60% both-gendered? The hell? :wink:
The third column is gender-neutral words which I imagine are used to conceal the pattern of the test (and/or reduce priming effects). To get a single answer out of the test, you compare the M and F scores to the median (4.9), and if both are above you're androgynous; if both are below you're undifferentiated; and if one is above and the other is below, you're masculine or feminine.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:04 am UTC

So I'm (possibly) natively androgynous rather than non-gendered? And the non-gendered feelings (possibly) were influenced by environment? Interesting. So many little puzzle pieces, so few covers of boxes to guide me in putting them together. What fun. :?
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.

joshz

Postby joshz » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:24 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:
poxic wrote:In sort-of-related WTFs, I just goog'd and took the BSRI. The results were (roughly) 60% masculine, 60% feminine, and 60% androgynous. I have no bloody idea what that means. I'm 40% non-gendered and 60% both-gendered? The hell? :wink:
The third column is gender-neutral words which I imagine are used to conceal the pattern of the test (and/or reduce priming effects). To get a single answer out of the test, you compare the M and F scores to the median (4.9), and if both are above you're androgynous; if both are below you're undifferentiated; and if one is above and the other is below, you're masculine or feminine.

You scored 70.833 out of 100 masculine points, 76.667 out of 100 feminine points, and 59.167 out of 100 androgynous (neutral) points.
Huh. Though I have to wonder about the reliability. For a lot, I was just sort of "uhh...that one? I guess?"
Also, it's quite stereotypical, it seems to me. I don't know that one can associate specific characteristics with specific genders at all reliably. There are plenty of males who are emphatic/sympathetic and plenty of females who aren't. I don't really know how reliable a test like this could be...
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:45 am UTC

It *was* written sometime in the '70s, I think, so yeah, there's a fair amount of fail involved there. I'd consider it about as useful as an online IQ test: useful for some sort of vague indication, but not to be relied upon for any serious anything.

Because serious anythings are serious things, and serious things must be taken seriously serious. And I am apparently still decompressing from a fucking helling assively stressful and demanding week at work, so you can take almost anything I say write today with a metric butt-ton of Serious Salt. Because ass. Seriously.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:10 am UTC

I took it and got 71ish percent masculine, 40ish percent feminine, 54ish percent androgynous. So many of things like this tell me that I'm extremely masculine. I guess I agree. *shrug*
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:27 am UTC

Aaeriele> 50% masculine, 86% feminine, 73% androgynous. (70, 121, 103 out of 140 each.)

EDIT: She was using my computer and forgot to log out of my acc <.<
Last edited by DaBigCheez on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:35 am UTC

From my (brief) research it owns up to being based on stereotypes. The current suggestion is to use it to examine your place in modern society through the lens of gender roles or summat. Or to look at how gender roles have changed since the 70's.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

First I took forever to take this BSRI test http://www.w-lab.de/fb.html only to find out that they only use it for their own study and don't give you the scores :P

Then I took this little Javascript test http://garote.bdmonkeys.net/bsri.html and got this: You scored 60.833 out of 100 masculine points, 74.167 out of 100 feminine points, and 51.667 out of 100 androgynous (neutral) points.

But my husband and me did a different tests in our couple's book that gives just one score, and we both scored between feminine and masculine. Men are scored slightly different than women on that tests which moves them more into the masculine direction (something like feminine answer = 1 pt. for both men and women, masculine answer = 2 pt. for women but 3 pt. for men.)

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:27 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
This is how we did it. I got 4.65 for masculine, 3.20 for feminine and 4.something for neutral.
Weeks wrote:

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:37 pm UTC

'Tain't.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

You scored 68.333 out of 100 masculine points, 37.037 out of 100 feminine points, and 55 out of 100 androgynous (neutral) points.

I find this score really weird as I am a straight cis-female

Return to “General”