[SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Brace
Posts: 1169
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:40 am UTC
Location: Denver, Co
Contact:

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Brace » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:35 pm UTC

To paraphrase anon, "Disregard the above, [redacted]"

I found a way to get exactly full time status using classes I'm allowed to take. It was only possible because they changed one of the courses to be worth 3 credits instead of 1, so this is kind of a ridiculous fluke of chance, and furthermore it screws up my plans for summer semester, but still; I will take it.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

User avatar
PM 2Ring
Posts: 3700
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:19 pm UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby PM 2Ring » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:15 am UTC

Kilroy(ZTC) wrote:To paraphrase anon, "Disregard the above, [redacted]"

I found a way to get exactly full time status using classes I'm allowed to take. It was only possible because they changed one of the courses to be worth 3 credits instead of 1, so this is kind of a ridiculous fluke of chance, and furthermore it screws up my plans for summer semester, but still; I will take it.

Yay!

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Jessica » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:12 pm UTC

I'm really bothered by the fact that trans men are reading the names of people who were killed during Trans day of remembrance. Be part of the group that runs it, help out, but don't read the names. Having a trans man say "I am <insert name here>" is really disingenuous. There are no trans men on the list this year, nor were there any last year. Overwhelmingly it's trans women of colour, who are sex workers who are killed. They are mostly from asia and south america.

This is one of the issues I have with this day. I understand it's important to some, but the people who are dying aren't the same as the people who are memorializing, in terms of gender, race, or class.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4399
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

Because what the world really needs is another wedge

When people are being killed because they are different, the solution isn't to exclude people for being different.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Jessica » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

But the reason they are being killed isn't bring brought to light. It's being covered over with "they are trans" and that's it. It isn't just because they are trans that they are dying. It's mainly because of multiple intersections of class, gender, race and the criminalization of sex work. In the same way that I shouldn't say "I'm oppressed because immigrants are oppressed, and I'm practically an immigrant." It isn't a wedge to divide people, it's an issue that should be looked at, and not washed over.

Just because there are problems doesn't mean that we should pretend that we're all the same so we can feel united. That path leads to the same problems that happen when we try and be a unified queer movement; when problems are solved for the dominant group, people stop fighting for it. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have a trans day of remembrance, I'm saying we should look at what is actually happening, and honestly look at how memorializing people can be a way of taking their identity away from them.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4399
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

You are neither a POC nor a sex worker. Should we exclude you from the day, too? Should we allow transmen who are South American sex workers to read names?
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Jessica » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

I didn't say exclude. But, if someone asked me to read the list of names of those who died, I would ecline. I certainly would not feel comfortable saying "I am <insert name> and I was killed..." If I were running an event, I would make a comment about how we need to think about the fact that these women (not trans people) are being killed for more than just being trans, and that there needs to be more thought toward other aspects of oppression than just being trans.

I wouldn't want a straight cis white guy reading the names on the TDoR. I wouldn't want a cis lesbian woman reading them either.

It's a similar thing to trans men trying to reclaim the word "tranny", even though that word isn't generally applied to trans men, and doesn't in general reference trans men.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
Lostdreams
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:19 pm UTC

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Lostdreams » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

It depends on the intent. Are you representing the group or individual? If it is the group, which one? Queer people, trans people, trans women, trans women sex workers, trans women sex workers of color?

If the memorial was to use the deaths of those people to further the cause to include trans people and eliminate hate crime then you would want as many different people to speak as possible. If it was to memorialize the individual person based on what they would want then they would be represented by any number of friends, family, or other people; in some cases perhaps they would wish not to be called at all. Given that the event's purpose for the memorial was the former, I would be upset that they didn't include more types of people as callers.

Being the event had a gender focus and not a race, job, health, economic status, etc. focus they would want to keep the focus on that and not spread too thin. There may be 50 reasons that lead to the demise of most of the people called but there is one that they all have in common, and it's the same thing that caused all of those people to show up and hear the names be called that day.

There are other causes that will rally to those other reasons on another day for as long as it takes for them to be addressed but that day was for the trans people.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Jessica » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:51 pm UTC

If you select a group of people by a single trait, of course they have that trait in common. If I start naming all the white people who were killed last year, would you believe me if I said that white people are oppressed? I have a list that has all the white people who were killed!

Trans day of remembrance is used to create awareness of the struggles trans people face, by highlighting that trans people are killed. But, when the people who are benefiting from that awareness are not the people who are getting killed, I would say there is a problem. I would also say it's a problem if trans people in Canada say that we face the same risks as these women do, because that's not true either. White trans people in Canada don't face the same risk to their life as do trans people of colour in south america.

I know why they are doing it. It's a powerful message to have people talk about those who were killed. But, those people who were killed may not have been killed because they were trans. Some of them might have been killed because they were sex workers, or because they were people of colour, or because they owed someone money, or any other reasons. To take the fact that someone who was trans was killed, and say that that person was killed because they were trans is dishonest. To fight for the rights of trans people in Canada because women are killed for being trans prostitutes is also dishonest.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Vaniver » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:23 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:I certainly would not feel comfortable saying "I am <insert name> and I was killed..."
I am Spartacus.

That is, such a display is a show of unity. You may only hate one of us, but our unity means we will not accept you hating just one of us.

(If the unity comes from being individuals and in spite of differences, the personal attributes of the speaker do not matter; if the unity comes from shared differences, then the personal attributes of the speaker do matter. I feel the first sort of unity is far more robust.)
Last edited by Vaniver on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

User avatar
Lostdreams
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:19 pm UTC

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Lostdreams » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Trans day of remembrance is used to create awareness of the struggles trans people face, by highlighting that trans people are killed. But, when the people who are benefiting from that awareness are not the people who are getting killed, I would say there is a problem.


I disagree. Trans people tend to be more aware of trans issuses than non trans people. Violence springs from the ignorance and hate of the majority so naturally they are the ones who need to be made aware of the problem as trans people already know first hand.

Jessica wrote:I know why they are doing it. It's a powerful message to have people talk about those who were killed. But, those people who were killed may not have been killed because they were trans. Some of them might have been killed because they were sex workers, or because they were people of colour, or because they owed someone money, or any other reasons. To take the fact that someone who was trans was killed, and say that that person was killed because they were trans is dishonest. To fight for the rights of trans people in Canada because women are killed for being trans prostitutes is also dishonest.


I completely agree with this statement, however causes will use whatever tools are available to complete their goal/s. The whether the ends justifying the means is a much larger and complicated thing that I don't think would be appropriate to discuss here.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

User avatar
Aaeriele
Posts: 2127
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:30 am UTC
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:55 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Nordic Einar
Posts: 783
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:21 am UTC

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Nordic Einar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:21 am UTC

Excluding trans men as readers from TDoR makes me uncomfortable because it continues the extremely common erasure of trans men in general; it also fails to address the effect anti-trans violence directed against trans women still has on trans men. Further, having been to both Detroit and D.C. based TDoR's I have never seen the intersectionality of race, migrant status, and sex work ignored or swept under the rug. Indeed, at events in both places they've been pretty prominent.


Jessica wrote:It's a similar thing to trans men trying to reclaim the word "tranny", even though that word isn't generally applied to trans men, and doesn't in general reference trans men.


This also bothers the heck out of me, for reasons below. Spoilered for TW: hate-crime, violence, anti-trans language.

Spoiler:
I'm dating a trans man who has only recently begun transition. During this process he has been introduced to the larger trans male population in D.C. One of the first people to help him into the community and provide a kind of "mentorship"/companionship for his baby-queer self was assaulted viciously as a youth. He's an incredibly masculine trans guy and was at the time of the assault. However, his attackers didn't give two shits whether he was FtM or MtF when they were kicking his head in, shattering his skull, and driving parts of it into his brain. The only thing they gave a shit about was that he was a "Tranny Fuck" who didn't deserve to live. Over the course of his life the word "Tranny" has been used frequently, by strangers who've harassed or assaulted him, or by family and co-workers who've turned their backs on him, to demean and belittle him. His experience isn't unique - several other trans guys in the broader social group here have had the word used to oppress/attack them, sometimes violently. It's extremely frustrating for them to be told not only by cisgay men that they don't get to reclaim faggot (y'know, cuz they're not real men) but also by trans women that they can't reclaim "tranny" (because they haven't been oppressed by the word.) Since I'm unaware of any studies that have tracked the word 'tranny' and how often it's used to attack FtM's, I have to wonder how true the statement "It isn't used to oppress trans men" is; because the anecdotal evidence I have based on my experiences and the experience of the trans men in my life doesn't support that claim at all. I can almost guarantee you that, when my boyfriend comes out, his father is going to be disgusted for having a "tranny" in the family. It won't matter that he's transitioning to male rather than away from it.


Granted, I'm a cis guy so take the above with a grain of salt. YMMV, etc etc.

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Jessica » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

I'm sorry.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
Wyvern
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:31 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Contact:

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Wyvern » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:21 pm UTC

Well. Meeting with family today, first time seeing them since I've been openly fem. I really hope this goes well. x_x

(and no, my dad won't be there, phew. not ready for that. maybe will never be. I don't know yet.)

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Jessica » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:57 pm UTC

Wyvern wrote:Well. Meeting with family today, first time seeing them since I've been openly fem. I really hope this goes well. x_x

(and no, my dad won't be there, phew. not ready for that. maybe will never be. I don't know yet.)
*hugs*
good luck!
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
XJ_0
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby XJ_0 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

Hello. I had a really stressful day dealing with being trans, and dealing with a family that makes life more difficult by being trans.

I wonder: has anyone, here, come out to their family as a trans person, and their family was totally cool with it and accepting? I would really like to hear a pleasant story, please.

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Jessica » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:56 pm UTC

XJ_0 wrote:Hello. I had a really stressful day dealing with being trans, and dealing with a family that makes life more difficult by being trans.

I wonder: has anyone, here, come out to their family as a trans person, and their family was totally cool with it and accepting? I would really like to hear a pleasant story, please.
Uh, I did.

My family was really accepting of me when I told them. I sent them an email, and by the next weekend, they had caught a plane to come and see me, and talk to me in person. We went for dinner, and they are right on board with me. They wish I had told them earlier, so they could have helped earlier.

... Yeah. So there's that. I'm one of the lucky few who still has her family, friends and all that jazz. It makes me feel guilty. I'm fucked up.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
Brace
Posts: 1169
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:40 am UTC
Location: Denver, Co
Contact:

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Brace » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:21 am UTC

For feeling guilty or for not being fucked up? Because the second would be somewhat contradictory. And guilt is definitely irrational but it's also pretty par for the course for humans to be irrational, particularly in that specific capacity.

Um. My FBI background check material came back, so I can get my name changed now. It will probably wait until next week or the one after since this is basically finals week though.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

User avatar
Wyvern
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:31 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Contact:

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Wyvern » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:34 am UTC

so.... today. not great.

Met family at my grandmother's place. Tried to come out to her cleanly but the distinct impression I got was that she doesn't want to talk about it. Having to put up with old pictures of me on the wall that they refused to do anything about (because what about our memories) family constantly messing up names and pronouns and having to ask them to not use the wrong ones... and getting absolutely zero response. Just... blank faces, change of subject, continuing to mess up without apologizing or correcting themselves.

I gave up pretty early into it. Just got so depressed at all of it. I don't want to deal with it, and it's the only place where I actually have to deal with wrong names and pronouns, and they're not making any effort to make it any smoother. They get awkward, evasive, defensive and sometimes angry. (mum got angry when boy was trying to stick up for me.)

It's tempting to just not talk to them ever again.


On the other hand, brother and sister were not bad. Little sister was supportive and hugged me even (so taboo in my awkward family) and brother lent me a game I've been wanting to play. Just mother and grandmother. were. so. fucking. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

User avatar
animeHrmIne
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:33 pm UTC
Location: Missouri, USA, Sol III

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby animeHrmIne » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:27 am UTC

Wyvern wrote:so.... today. not great.

Met family at my grandmother's place. Tried to come out to her cleanly but the distinct impression I got was that she doesn't want to talk about it. Having to put up with old pictures of me on the wall that they refused to do anything about (because what about our memories) family constantly messing up names and pronouns and having to ask them to not use the wrong ones... and getting absolutely zero response. Just... blank faces, change of subject, continuing to mess up without apologizing or correcting themselves.

I gave up pretty early into it. Just got so depressed at all of it. I don't want to deal with it, and it's the only place where I actually have to deal with wrong names and pronouns, and they're not making any effort to make it any smoother. They get awkward, evasive, defensive and sometimes angry. (mum got angry when boy was trying to stick up for me.)

It's tempting to just not talk to them ever again.


On the other hand, brother and sister were not bad. Little sister was supportive and hugged me even (so taboo in my awkward family) and brother lent me a game I've been wanting to play. Just mother and grandmother. were. so. fucking. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

I'm so sorry. That sounds awful. Sometimes family sucks. That's why I'm still not out to my dad's family -- I don't want to have to deal with it until they're less a part of my life anymore. For what it's worth, I think you're really brave to stick up for yourself at all. I hope it gets better. *hugs*
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

User avatar
PM 2Ring
Posts: 3700
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:19 pm UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby PM 2Ring » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:39 am UTC

What animeHrmIne said.

Coming out to family is the hardest, since they have such strong, long-term internal images of who you are, or should I say, of who they think you are and want you to be.

* big hugs *

User avatar
XJ_0
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby XJ_0 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:16 am UTC

Jessica wrote:
XJ_0 wrote:Hello. I had a really stressful day dealing with being trans, and dealing with a family that makes life more difficult by being trans.

I wonder: has anyone, here, come out to their family as a trans person, and their family was totally cool with it and accepting? I would really like to hear a pleasant story, please.
Uh, I did.

My family was really accepting of me when I told them. I sent them an email, and by the next weekend, they had caught a plane to come and see me, and talk to me in person. We went for dinner, and they are right on board with me. They wish I had told them earlier, so they could have helped earlier.

... Yeah. So there's that. I'm one of the lucky few who still has her family, friends and all that jazz. It makes me feel guilty. I'm fucked up.


Sorry, I don't think I came across your story before, but I feel happy that your family was so accepting. ^_^
I also feel happy that someone was able to immediately respond to this. I have come across so many people who have families that were so far from accepting; I wanted to know that it wasn't just my wishful thinking that some people are excellent people in this matter.

Also, I'm sorry that you feel guilty. I don't have supportive family, but I would never wish that no one had one either.

User avatar
XJ_0
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby XJ_0 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:34 am UTC

Also: Hello, I'm Wyvern's boy. I'm the one that put her mother to tears of anger because I said that it's not right for Wyvern to be hurt and unhappy for them to feel comfortable.

I bit my tongue so hard during this visit. There were so many things I held back from saying.

*Big hugs, my love*

User avatar
Wyvern
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:31 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Contact:

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Wyvern » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

I'm so glad you were there yesterday love. <3

And thanks for support peoples :) I wrote mum an email and I'm going to try and sort these things out. Because I should. or something. I guess. Hope she doesn't get mad again >.>

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Jessica » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

:)
I'm glad you have each other. I wish it was better for you two, but I'm glad you can help each other in this difficult time.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
Aaeriele
Posts: 2127
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:30 am UTC
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Aaeriele » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

XJ_0 wrote:Also: Hello, I'm Wyvern's boy.


Hello to you too. :)

I have the (happy) story of my coming out to my mother in a blog post, copy-pasting it here, but the original story is part of this post.

Spoiler:
The first member of my family I ever came out to as trans was my mother. It was a few days after christmas – this was in college; the only time I was actually at home was during the winter holidays. I had been debating with myself the if, how, when, where, who I should tell, for months if not years – ever since I had discovered the terminology to actually describe how it was that I felt. The debate isn’t easy, nor is it fun – it often kept me up late at night, churning over it in my mind. Impatience to tell someone would wrestle with worries that something would go wrong. Sparks of determination would die premature deaths in puddles of hesitance.

Even after having convinced myself in the weeks before flying home that I would tell my mother over the break, I still spent an entire week or so agonizing over the “what” and “how” of the matter – while still trying to maintain a carefree facade for my family. I finally wound up writing a letter one day while everyone else was out of the house. Among other things, it was easier to write when I was absolutely certain I wouldn’t be interrupted – I was sure that any confidence I had built up in order to write such a letter would be shattered if I had to break off halfway through.

Apparently fate decided to smile on me at this point: my mother was the first one to return home, an hour or two after I had finished writing. I sat on the bed where I had been writing for a bit, mentally working up the courage to actually hand over the two sheets of paper I had spent hours constructing. I finally got up, walked into the living room where my mother was sitting down to read a bit, and handed her the letter before fleeing into the kitchen. I went to pour myself a glass of water because I knew that if I remained in the other room, I’d be focused on every single change of expression on my mother’s face, and I couldn’t bear the stress of trying to interpret what each small change might mean. After spending as much time in the kitchen as I could reasonably justify to myself, I returned, resigning myself to whatever reaction I might encounter now that I had passed the point of no return.

When I walked back into the room, my mother looked up at me and smiled. In that instant, I could almost feel the weight lifting off my shoulders before she even said a word, because that smile told me everything that mattered to me in that moment. My memory of exactly what happened after that is somewhat hazy – I was rather overwhelmed by emotion at that point. I recall her giving me a hug, and telling me that she didn’t have a problem with it and wanting whatever was best for me, though I don’t recall the order in which those things happened. It didn’t really matter, though – what mattered was that I was accepted and loved.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

User avatar
Monika
Welcoming Aarvark
Posts: 3671
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:03 am UTC
Location: Germany, near Heidelberg
Contact:

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Monika » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

*waves to Wyvern's boy*
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

User avatar
joshz
Posts: 1466
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:51 am UTC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby joshz » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:28 am UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
XJ_0 wrote:Also: Hello, I'm Wyvern's boy.


Hello to you too. :)

I have the (happy) story of my coming out to my mother in a blog post, copy-pasting it here, but the original story is part of this post.

Spoiler:
The first member of my family I ever came out to as trans was my mother. It was a few days after christmas – this was in college; the only time I was actually at home was during the winter holidays. I had been debating with myself the if, how, when, where, who I should tell, for months if not years – ever since I had discovered the terminology to actually describe how it was that I felt. The debate isn’t easy, nor is it fun – it often kept me up late at night, churning over it in my mind. Impatience to tell someone would wrestle with worries that something would go wrong. Sparks of determination would die premature deaths in puddles of hesitance.

Even after having convinced myself in the weeks before flying home that I would tell my mother over the break, I still spent an entire week or so agonizing over the “what” and “how” of the matter – while still trying to maintain a carefree facade for my family. I finally wound up writing a letter one day while everyone else was out of the house. Among other things, it was easier to write when I was absolutely certain I wouldn’t be interrupted – I was sure that any confidence I had built up in order to write such a letter would be shattered if I had to break off halfway through.

Apparently fate decided to smile on me at this point: my mother was the first one to return home, an hour or two after I had finished writing. I sat on the bed where I had been writing for a bit, mentally working up the courage to actually hand over the two sheets of paper I had spent hours constructing. I finally got up, walked into the living room where my mother was sitting down to read a bit, and handed her the letter before fleeing into the kitchen. I went to pour myself a glass of water because I knew that if I remained in the other room, I’d be focused on every single change of expression on my mother’s face, and I couldn’t bear the stress of trying to interpret what each small change might mean. After spending as much time in the kitchen as I could reasonably justify to myself, I returned, resigning myself to whatever reaction I might encounter now that I had passed the point of no return.

When I walked back into the room, my mother looked up at me and smiled. In that instant, I could almost feel the weight lifting off my shoulders before she even said a word, because that smile told me everything that mattered to me in that moment. My memory of exactly what happened after that is somewhat hazy – I was rather overwhelmed by emotion at that point. I recall her giving me a hug, and telling me that she didn’t have a problem with it and wanting whatever was best for me, though I don’t recall the order in which those things happened. It didn’t really matter, though – what mattered was that I was accepted and loved.

That was really well written, Aaeri. Thanks for sharing it.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

User avatar
Aaeriele
Posts: 2127
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:30 am UTC
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:37 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TBd-UCwVAY

Warning: might make you cry, but in a good way.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Bassoon
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:58 pm UTC
Location: Wisconsin

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Bassoon » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:51 am UTC

Aw man, I was going to link that, but Aaeriele beat me to it! I love the video.

User avatar
Brace
Posts: 1169
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:40 am UTC
Location: Denver, Co
Contact:

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Brace » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:45 pm UTC

My cobalt flux arrived. The thing is in perfect condition and even came with pads for a hardwood floor to prevent it from sliding, which is going to come in handy because I have a hardwood floor and *gasp* it slides. I can get AAs and DDRx "AAAs" on easy stuff still, but 9s and up hurt. Oh well, I should be able to get back to where I was over time. Good god I've become a cow.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:03 pm UTC

I know how that is. I played two rounds on the ITG machine at the movie theater this weekend, the first time I've played a dance game in at least two months - and I haven't been regularly exercising in like a year. My legs locked up and refused to move after a handful of mere 8 footers. :(
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
Brace
Posts: 1169
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:40 am UTC
Location: Denver, Co
Contact:

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Brace » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:57 pm UTC

I used to be able to do 12's without issue, and a few 13's. Also, my pad is acting up :( I think it's because the styrofoam it shipped in ended up underneath the panels and is gunking it up, so I'm going to try cleaning it at some point and see if that doesn't fix it. I would be very sad if I spent all that money on a broken pad. Especially since I managed to track down the ITG PS2 hack tools and so I am effectively in a position to play whatever songs I like

Edit: Cleaned the pad. It seems to be working much better now.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

User avatar
Amie
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am UTC
Location: in Somnia.

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Amie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:31 am UTC

Queer Pride - Bangalore, India.

This makes me so gorram happy. (That's the city I live in :))
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Jessica » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

That's great Amie!!
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
Aaeriele
Posts: 2127
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:30 am UTC
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Aaeriele » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

Whee, great video. ^_^
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

User avatar
Monika
Welcoming Aarvark
Posts: 3671
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:03 am UTC
Location: Germany, near Heidelberg
Contact:

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Monika » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:50 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMLZO-sObzQ Zach Wahls Speaks About Family
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Jessica » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:35 pm UTC

I saw this and wanted to post it here.
Public accommodations - what it means
The important part of that link is:
For the people who think Public Accommodations means bathroom and locker rooms , here is your awakening:

The following private entities are considered public accommodations for purposes of this subchapter, if the operations of such entities affect commerce—
(A) an inn, hotel, motel, or other place of lodging, except for an establishment located within a building that contains not more than five rooms for rent or hire and that is actually occupied by the proprietor of such establishment as the residence of such proprietor;
(B) a restaurant, bar, or other establishment serving food or drink;
(C) a motion picture house, theater, concert hall, stadium, or other place of exhibition or entertainment;
(D) an auditorium, convention center, lecture hall, or other place of public gathering;
(E) a bakery, grocery store, clothing store, hardware store, shopping center, or other sales or rental establishment;
(F) a laundromat, dry-cleaner, bank, barber shop, beauty shop, travel service, shoe repair service, funeral parlor, gas station, office of an accountant or lawyer, pharmacy, insurance office, professional office of a health care provider, hospital, or other service establishment;
(G) a terminal, depot, or other station used for specified public transportation;
(H) a museum, library, gallery, or other place of public display or collection;
(I) a park, zoo, amusement park, or other place of recreation;
(J) a nursery, elementary, secondary, undergraduate, or postgraduate private school, or other place of education;
(K) a day care center, senior citizen center, homeless shelter, food bank, adoption agency, or other social service center establishment; and
(L) a gymnasium, health spa, bowling alley, golf course, or other place of exercise or recreation.


Certainly woke me up.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
Monika
Welcoming Aarvark
Posts: 3671
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:03 am UTC
Location: Germany, near Heidelberg
Contact:

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Monika » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

<offtopic>

My husband got me a pony :D
Spoiler:
Image

And a pony Christmas calendar:
Spoiler:
Image

He was like: "Hey, I saw you watching those pony videos, I thought you might like this" :D

What was behind door 1:
Spoiler:
Image

my friend Catherine likes the pony, too:
Spoiler:
Image

And look what my mom got me:
Spoiler:
Image
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests