[SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Shivahn

Re: [SAFESPACE] LGBTIQQA Thread - Queer Support!

Postby Shivahn » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:24 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:I... fucking hell. I mean, even if you were of the opinion that those women aren't women because they weren't born like it or whatever, surely there's a point where you stop and think "You know, that's be a MASSIVE fucking douche move; I don't think I'll name them publicly like some kind of hitlist."

A lot of people put idealism above... well, humans.

Which is not-coincidentally about when I stop considering them good people.

That's pretty cool about the spatial ability testing, Monika. I think you might be looking at it wrong though - what if it's not about the abilities at all, but with the confidence the people in charge of things have? That melds parsimonious...ly... with the fact that female people perform better on math tests when not asked about gender.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:45 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:I think you might be looking at it wrong though - what if it's not about the abilities at all, but with the confidence the people in charge of things have?

Good point. But then, why does general confidence influence spatial reasoning so much more than any other category?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:03 pm UTC

I don't know - more research needs to be done. But the whole idea that unrelated things can affect test taking is fascinating.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

Could it have something to do with the toys and games that are given/taught to children? Boys are encouraged to play with blocks and races and building things, girls are encouraged to make tableaus with pre-manufactured items (dolls, etc.)?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:44 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Culture Drives Gender Gap in Spatial Abilities, Study Finds
But the study indicates that this is not the reason at all, or at least not all or most of the reason.
I saw that study about a week ago and was not impressed. The matrilineal society was significantly better than the patrilineal society at the puzzle, men were better than women in both societies (p=0 in patrilineal, p=0.025 in matrilineal), the medians suggested something was screwy with the matrilineal data, and as mentioned in the study (but not in the article) this is the only comparison found which has been so close after decades of looking. It's almost certain that this is a statistical fluke that is being promoted for political reasons.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:24 pm UTC

The UK is about to lift the ban on Gay and Bisexual blood donation. As of November 7th this year, gay and bisexual men will be allowed to donate if they have not had sex with another man in the last 12 months.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

A friend of mine was complaining that this new rule meant that he could go and give blood because it's been over a year since he had sex with a man, but his current girlfriend still cannot give blood because they've neglected to change the part that says women who've had sex with a man who's had sex with a man can't give blood.
I don't know how true that is.
Ⓞⓞ◯

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:53 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:A friend of mine was complaining that this new rule meant that he could go and give blood because it's been over a year since he had sex with a man, but his current girlfriend still cannot give blood because they've neglected to change the part that says women who've had sex with a man who's had sex with a man can't give blood.
I don't know how true that is.

I was under the impression that a woman who's had sex with a man who's had sex with a man was banned for 12 months.
Edit to clarify: I thought that was how it already is.

It's exciting! I mean, I still won't be able to give blood, but you know, my bisexual sort of ex will.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

http://cisnews.tumblr.com/ -- This is a pretty good parody of media coverage of any story that involves a trans person.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

After reading Jess's post about the douchetruck who writes GenderTrender, I went and read just the first post of her blog. I was (and am) so horrified at her hateful writing. I started tearing up, and felt vaguely nauseous. Male-bodied or formerly-male-bodied people of the thread, I am so sorry that those sorts of hateful feelings, blogs, and (criminal?) activities are directed toward you. They made me feel hurt as a cis woman, and I can't imagine how much greater that hurt is to you. *hugs*

Honestly, reading her first blog post there, there is SO MUCH wrong with it I can't even begin to talk about it without raging, and I refuse to bring that garbage here.
Last edited by PictureSarah on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

...I looked at the list. An IRL acquaintance of mine who I consider to be Good People is on the list. I can't even.

Earlier this morning I was trying to figure out what some acronymns meant (FAAB for 'female assigned at birth') and ran across a different radical-feminist blog that takes a conspiracy-theory-approach to trans people. There is a lot of this crap around. The problem with conspiracy theorists is that everything you do 'proves them right.'

Better things: I am about 1/3 of the way through Whipping Girl and it does an awesome job of answering some lingering questions I've had (how do you talk about gender-as-a-social-construct in a way that respects trans people?). It's super-accessible writing, also says a lot about fighting misogyny in general, and the author is a trans woman who is also a biologist. I am pretty sure the book has been mentioned here before, but yeah. So recommended.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

H.E.L.e.N. wrote:Better things: I am about 1/3 of the way through Whipping Girl and it does an awesome job of answering some lingering questions I've had (how do you talk about gender-as-a-social-construct in a way that respects trans people?). It's super-accessible writing, also says a lot about fighting misogyny in general, and the author is a trans woman who is also a biologist. I am pretty sure the book has been mentioned here before, but yeah. So recommended.

Whipping girl is an excellent book.

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:35 pm UTC

I must must read that book. I keep seeing it recommended as excellent.

About the blog Jessica posted about: is it legal for the blogger to make a list like that? Surely that's highly personal information.. or something. I don't know it's so awful.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

Not sure if it's illegal. Probably is under libel (or is it slander... I'm pretty sure it's libel).
It's also against the terms of service of the website it's on.

But, since discriminating against trans people is generally ok legally (and morally acceptable to many), there probably won't be anything done about it.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Could it have something to do with the toys and games that are given/taught to children? Boys are encouraged to play with blocks and races and building things, girls are encouraged to make tableaus with pre-manufactured items (dolls, etc.)?

See also:SMBC Comics
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:Could it have something to do with the toys and games that are given/taught to children? Boys are encouraged to play with blocks and races and building things, girls are encouraged to make tableaus with pre-manufactured items (dolls, etc.)?
See also:SMBC Comics
Also This
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:47 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Not sure if it's illegal. Probably is under libel (or is it slander... I'm pretty sure it's libel).

Libel and slander are for lies. Factual information spread maliciously is… possibly still actionable, but not in the same way.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

Harassment? Incitement?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:09 pm UTC

Possibly. My quarter of a bachelor's degree doesn't entitle me to say any more. :p
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

My one semester in one Comm Law class authorizes me to authoritatively pronounce that it seems most like incitement to me. Similar to the abortion doctor files that were circulated among anti-abortionists - while it was factual information, it was accompanied by rhetoric such that one could take it as encouragement to do something harmful with the information. Also, if someone actually harasses one of the transfolk in the list, then the blogger may be also dinged for aiding and abetting. I-A-definitely-N-A-L.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Brace

Postby Brace » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 am UTC

I need to get my name change done before December 1st in order to apply to my college of choice under my preferred name. The background check processing takes 10 weeks or so, meaning I have one shot. The last time I tried, I got the state background check back saying my handwriting was illegible (it wasn't), and the federal background check back saying I am supposed to write some sort of letter explaining why I am wanting a name change? Even though that wasn't listed as something I had to include by the information packet I was given at the court. Anyways, wondering if someone with experience on this would like to provide me some sort of guidance, both on the writing the letter bit (what to say, what issues to address, what tone and format to use etc.) and on the "not getting my application sent back by bigots on the basis of a bullshit excuse" bit.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

Zeroignite

Postby Zeroignite » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:10 am UTC

I'm planning to wear a skirt to uni tomorrow. I'm posting here in part so I don't wimp out.
Also tomorrow is the first meeting for the Society of Women Engineers this term. Planning on going. Female presenting + still perceived as male body might make things Interesting.

I hope things go okay.
She/her/hers

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:40 am UTC

Good luck 0i. :)

Kilroy[ZTC] - are you aware of this page? http://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/For ... Type_ID=25
The instructions document there seems fairly comprehensive, but that might just be what you already got from the court (I don't know).

If you're going the FBI route for the background check, there's a field on the form for "reason for request".
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Van

Postby Van » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:48 am UTC

Kilroy(ZTC) wrote:I need to get my name change done before December 1st in order to apply to my college of choice under my preferred name. The background check processing takes 10 weeks or so, meaning I have one shot. The last time I tried, I got the state background check back saying my handwriting was illegible (it wasn't), and the federal background check back saying I am supposed to write some sort of letter explaining why I am wanting a name change? Even though that wasn't listed as something I had to include by the information packet I was given at the court. Anyways, wondering if someone with experience on this would like to provide me some sort of guidance, both on the writing the letter bit (what to say, what issues to address, what tone and format to use etc.) and on the "not getting my application sent back by bigots on the basis of a bullshit excuse" bit.

Hey, same state as you so here's some tips.

The state background check can either be mailed OR you can hand deliver it to the office at Kipling & 6th Ave. I cant remember if you can expedite it or not, but they're pretty speedy.

As for the federal, the letter is a new thing as of early this year and yeah it isnt mentioned in the packet. BUT, you can go on the federal website and print out their template, its not a letter exactly. Its retarded and basically just has 5 or 6 fields, name, DOB, (etc), and purpose of search, which is legal name change. I would REALLY suggest expediting this, it took me 6 months to finally get mine back - if you do, dont forget to write expedite on the outside.

edit: link to form for federal: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/backgr ... ation-form (this is MUCH more detailed than what they wanted me to fax back,but hey)
and steps: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/backgr ... to-the-fbi

Also, I forgot to mention; they sent me back a letter saying my request had been rejected for not having a cover letter (the same as you). I called them and they said that if I faxed them something back, they could continue. I did, and had my BG check in hand two weeks later. If yours was recent, call them!

edit edit: I actually ended up getting "rejected" twice on that app, so I would strongly suggest you dont take a letter saying you did something wrong as start over. Their letters were very poorly worded.
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

Zeroignite

Postby Zeroignite » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:40 am UTC

Zeroignite wrote:I'm planning to wear a skirt to uni tomorrow. I'm posting here in part so I don't wimp out.
Also tomorrow is the first meeting for the Society of Women Engineers this term. Planning on going. Female presenting + still perceived as male body might make things Interesting.
I hope things go okay.
Everything was excellent. I may have even sparked a friendship with a cute girl in my Statics class when she struck up a conversation with me :) . Also, a professor I'm doing a project for didn't even seem to notice. Since I'm pretty sure it was unmissable I guess he gives precisely zero fucks.
She/her/hers

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:52 am UTC

Zeroignite wrote:Everything was excellent.

WOOT!
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

NovaNatalia

Postby NovaNatalia » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:15 am UTC

Congratulations Zeroignite! I meant to wish you luck, but real life happened. I'm glad things went so well for you ^_^
I am the way into the doleful city. I am the way into eternal grief. I am the way to a forsaken race ... You who enter here, abandon all hope.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:27 pm UTC

Congratulations 0i!
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:22 pm UTC

yay!
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:02 pm UTC

Yay for you!!! :D
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

asexualawarenessweek.com is doing an asexy census: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AAW2011A ... nityCensus . It's only for asexies (incl. demisexuals and gray-asexuals).

And I became aware of this because one of my favorite comic artists, Ivy, who creates e.g. the Negative One comic, put it on her twitter <3

Jessica, what's that in your avatar?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:45 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:CELESTIAL SLOTH ATTACK
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:
Felltir wrote:CELESTIAL SLOTH ATTACK

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

Hooray for Zeroignite! Makes me happy to hear everything went well, and gives me hope as well (I fully intend to be pushing boundaries in that kind of way by the time the semester is over, and I'm more than a little worried about how it will go).
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:43 pm UTC

Australian passports now have a third option for listed gender. It's a step forward, and awesome for intersex people. It's still frustrating for trans people who cannot list their gender unless they have surgery, and it's not at all fair to out people like that. But at least it will hopefully cut way down on screening detainment at airports.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:49 pm UTC

Monika wrote:asexualawarenessweek.com is doing an asexy census: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AAW2011A ... nityCensus . It's only for asexies (incl. demisexuals and gray-asexuals).

Thanks for the heads-up.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

NovaNatalia

Postby NovaNatalia » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:15 am UTC

lanicita wrote:Australian passports now have a third option for listed gender. It's a step forward, and awesome for intersex people. It's still frustrating for trans people who cannot list their gender unless they have surgery, and it's not at all fair to out people like that. But at least it will hopefully cut way down on screening detainment at airports.

From the thread in N&A:
zombie_monkey wrote:https://www.passports.gov.au/web/sexgenderapplicants.aspx

The government specifies: "Sex reassignment surgery is not a prerequisite to issue a passport in a new gender."

I was excited ... until I found out my father disapproves. And I was just working up the courage to tell them that I'm trans, too, haven been given a perfect situation earlier that I let escape me.
I am the way into the doleful city. I am the way into eternal grief. I am the way to a forsaken race ... You who enter here, abandon all hope.

Brace

Postby Brace » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:52 am UTC

I sent off the FBI packet with the cover sheet that was linked a few posts ago. I'll be sending off the CBI one in another couple of weeks. Hopefully all goes well. I can't believe my nerves got the better of me for over a year. I thought I was over that.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

NovaNatalia

Postby NovaNatalia » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:14 am UTC

I told my mother about being transexual and she didn't care at all. I hadn't expected her to react badly but still ... she just took in stride like I was telling her about the weather. She even asked me if I was considering getting SRS casually. After all the horrible things I've heard about people coming out to their family, and how nervous I was, this made tears come to my eyes.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:00 am UTC

That's great news!

It's been a while since I posted in here. Been on hormones since May. I'm extremely happy with it. They are the more expensive imported ones, but I don't mind doing that, for now anyway. My mom's even been buying refills for me. Things are looking up.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Return to “General”