what would you choose as your super power?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:05 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:Time manipulation easily. In fact not a day goes by without me thinking what I could do with the power to stop time.

Well for all you know, people are stopping time all around you...you just don't know it. WHOA CREEPY.

*screams*
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:09 pm UTC

...that is creepy.

So, when you stop time, do you stop it for EVERYONE, including those who have stopped time, or do you simply decend into a time-stopped world, where all those who had stopped time can gahter?
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:37 pm UTC

Well, one way to stop time is to have a field around yourself that has you running much quicker than everyone around you. This was used in an Arthur C Clarke short story. There if you were near enough to someone else with an accelerator then the fields overlapped and you could talk as normal. You couldn't shout to someone outside your field since the air outside the field is going so slowly relative to yourself, but you can see others moving in their own bubbles.

Note that if you get too close to anyone else then they enter your faster time bubble, so no pranks there.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:43 pm UTC

Well, you could steal their stuff, or throw rocks at them...
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:02 pm UTC

I have to be unoriginal and say flying. I've had dreams before where I could fly, and they're the best dreams EVER. It's the greatest feeling. If I had one wish it would be to fly.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

What powers you ask? I dunno, how 'bout the power of flight?
That do anything for ya? That's levitation holmes.
How 'bout the power to kill a yak, from 200 yards away...
with mind bullets! That's telekinesis, Kyle.
How 'bout the power, to move you?
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

The power to always win at tic tac toe.
The power to create a stone so large not even God can lift it.
The power to turn really comfortable chairs into really, really comfortable sofas.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

apricity

Postby apricity » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:55 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:The power to always win at tic tac toe.

If you go first, it's really easy to always win at Tic-Tac-Toe. Just put your symbol in a corner. Then the opposite corner. Then one of the in-between corners. And then you can't lose. And you can always make up for it if those moves are foiled.

Edit: Post #500! Wow!

(Not that that's even a big achievement here anymore, but for me it is since I never stick with a forum long enough to have this many posts. So yay for all of you for being cool enough to hold my attention this long!)

(she/her/hers)

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:26 pm UTC

I thought about writing a short story once where a guy stops time, but then dies, leaving the world stopped.

But that's a boring story.

Oh, um, powers.....powers.....
...autofellatio? That might be a fun power.
Unaided human flight comes in second, though.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:38 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:The power to always win at tic tac toe.

If you go first, it's really easy to always win at Tic-Tac-Toe. Just put your symbol in a corner. Then the opposite corner. Then one of the in-between corners. And then you can't lose. And you can always make up for it if those moves are foiled.

The second player can always force a tie, and if both people playing have somewhat of an idea of what they're doing and aren't drunk, that will be the outcome.

1 | 2 | 3
----------
4 | 5 | 6
----------
7 | 8 | 9

Player 1's correct first move is #1, #3, #7, or #9. Without loss of generality, assume #1.

Player 2's correct move is #5, then player #1's is #9.

At this point, player 2 moves to #2, #4, #6, or #8. Whatever he does, he forces player 1 to play into the square opposite it. For instance, if P2 choose #2, P1 must play in #8. Most of the rest of the moves are forced too.

apricity

Postby apricity » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:43 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:foiling move

Agh. I knew there was a way to foil it. Oops. Nobody ever seems to notice it, though. I almost always win.

(she/her/hers)

simen

Postby simen » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:15 am UTC

This is probably a cop-out, but I'd like to be able to edit my character sheet.
My second option would be to easily manipulate energy in any way I wanted.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:43 am UTC

simen wrote:This is probably a cop-out, but I'd like to be able to edit my character sheet.

Metagaming would be a pretty awesome superpower.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:59 am UTC

My superpower would be the ability to switch bodies at will. Like the mother from Freaky Friday. However, I'd have to know roughly where the target is in order to do it.

So, for instance, I could switch with the president for a day, and write up a budget that puts all of the money into research (good luck getting half of congress to vote for it at once, though.) Also, if someone shoots me, I have a split second to switch with them, and I get a free gun as an added bonus! Plus, if I had an arch-enemy, I could force them into an old man's body :twisted: (although said arch-enemy would probably have the power of invisibility or something, nullifying my powers... hm) And some other great powers can be approximated with this (shapeshifting, teleportation, eternal life).

This also makes for great fun once the government learns I have this power. For instance, they might track me down and put me in a straight-jacket in a padded room with no guards anywhere near it, so I couldn't use my power. However, I would have already memorized the location of an old woman who never leaves her bed, and would deduce my location on Earth using the Coriolis force and... uh... I'll think of something to figure out the other coordinate as well later...

Of course, I'd hide the fact that I can also switch bodies with animals until my final showdown with my nemesis.
Last edited by notzeb on Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:02 am UTC

i would be able to crap out delicious beef jerky

Roffle

Postby Roffle » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:57 am UTC

And I'm not even remotely surprised at rat's choice of power.

Gratz on 666th post, by the way. You devil, you.
"Error juris semper nocet"

Macho Nachos

Postby Macho Nachos » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:55 am UTC

Oh, man. That's tough. I'd have to go with all-encompassing telekinesis accompanied by amazingly good senses and mental reflexes.

That's kinda boring though (well, it wouldn't be if I had it!), so I'm going to say the ability to manipulate and control water. State changes, motion, whatever. Any biological thing is putty in your hand, and unless you're in the Sahara, it's in the air all around you. Kinda like Magneto only with water.

You get to tidal wave people's asses too :D

Pau!
Dutiful Sycophant

Postby Pau! » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:49 am UTC

I've thought about this many a time, and had many a conversation about it.

I've decided that I really don't want access to anything that could allow me to bring harm to another person, because that's just not cool with me. And something like a save point or stopping time would take all the mystery and passion out of life.

I fear that the problem with telepathy would be figuring out that people actually are that boring. In addition, it is probably unfair to judge people based on their private thoughts, as long as those thoughts are never transformed into actions.

So that brings me to two ideas:

One would be, quite simply, bubbles. Just to be able to float around and have a space to yourself, or yourself and a few friends, or you and that special someone, cuddling over the clouds... And it could also be used to capture criminals without hurting them. The bubble would provide warmth, air, and sustenance, just because it would be a lot less cool without that =p

The second is sound control. Be able to play all the music in my head over an area, have it adapt to the situations, have noise areas so that, sure, you can play loud music or yell at people, but no one will be able to hear you! The possibilities are immense... everything would be integrated into the music, the rustling of leaves would join the rhythm until the entire forest danced, and then slowly descended into sleep... I wouldn't be able to hear my neighbours' loud music at four in the morning...

Good times.
"Materialism and vanity are tools of youth and fear. We'll grow up. " Sarah Lyons

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:50 am UTC

notzeb wrote:Of course, I'd hide the fact that I can also switch minds with animals until my final showdown with my nemesis.

"I, Transparent Guy, will finally defeat you once and for all and...erm... what are you doing? Stop slithering around and pay attention to me while I destroy you! *gasp* NO! You're not supposed to be able to do that! Arrrg! Infrared vision! My one true weakness besides refraction!"

New power choice: an overactive imagination!
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:16 pm UTC

mind control... of any sort really. im not greedy. just you know, being able to control things with my mind would mean i dont have to get out of bed to turn lights off and such. And in winter thats one thing ive always wished for.
anyone remember Alex Mac? from the tv show. her powers would be handy... altho i prolly wouldnt use them to help people... just for the lights really.
xx

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:50 pm UTC

Boy did i have the biggest crush on alex mack. I'd love to turn her into a puddle anytime.

EDIT: Larisa Oleynik. Hmm. Only six years older than me...
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Spectre
Assimilation & Processing

Postby Spectre » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:28 pm UTC

I'd probably become my comicbook namesake, minus the whole "must be melded with a human soul" thing. And without the need to dress up in green underwear. I tried that in highschool. Seriously. It was nowhere near as hawt as I intended it to be.

So that would leave me with flight, near invincibility, shapeshifting, teleportation, and some other little tricks.

Not a bad little package.

I want it all motherbitches!
I wandered through the weird and lurid landscape of another planet...

Spectre
Assimilation & Processing

Postby Spectre » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Did he have his own comic? I only know that character from Books of Magic.

Yessir. The Ostrander-Mandrake series was the only one I collected though. 62 issues. Excellent storylines/writing/art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_(comics)
I wandered through the weird and lurid landscape of another planet...

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:49 pm UTC

Sweet, I may have to look him up. He had a small cameo in BoM when John Constantine was giving Tim Hunter his little "Who's Who" of the occult world. Both the Spectre and Dr Fate stood out as pretty interesting.

Anyway, to get this thread back on track...

There's a package of powers that would compete in my mind against Telepathy and Flight.

Specifically:

Water-breathing
Pressure-immunity
Darkvision
Ability to draw hydration from saline water
Ability to survive on raw fish
Ability to sleep like a dolphin (one brain hemisphere at a time, always active, always aware)

Because I'd *really* like to be able to just...jump into the ocean and swim...wherever I wanted. See whatever I wanted. And not be limited by...anything, really. Air, food, water, sleep.....

Edit: And it would completely free you from human society, if you wanted. Because ultimately, even if you're broke, you could just wade into the ocean and...bam. Food, drink, living space, entertainment. Which moves money from "necessity" to "kindof neat".
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:50 pm UTC

Time stopping would be so cool. Think of all the cool stuff you could do with it. Telekinesis would be col too, because you could do variety of things with it, like levitate yourself, move objects or make an impenetrateable psychic shield infront of you.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:36 pm UTC

I also have the power to never lose at Tic Tac Toe!
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Phy

Postby Phy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

I've always liked the idea of highly constrained "classical" powers. It's no fun if it's too powerful. I'd want something like low-level flight, where you can only get ten feet off the ground at most, and while you are perfectly capable of hitting the high subsonic, you'd have to deal with wind resistance and bugs in your teeth.

Dr.Robert

Postby Dr.Robert » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

This might sound greedy, but the ability to be right. Anything you say, with conviction, will happen.

For example, if I were to be engaged in a fight with a man who could fly, I could simply state that they cannot fly. That person would then fall to the ground, powerless.

This could also essentially enable you with unlimited superpowers, and unlimited power in general. Go me!

I see possible paradoxes that could be created out of this power, however. What if one were to state that they never had the power to always be right to begin with?

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

Villian: Soul Jar, but without the Jar (on death, you just grab the nearest body), and no maximium duration. The mind of the person you possess is frozen in a corner: you can look at it and play back memories if you want, or just ignore it.

It is a bad guy who you can't catch, can't confront, can't kill, and can't track. He is any head of state you want.

Well, you can track him by following the trail of suicides or people who think they went crazy. But do you really want to?

Hero: Sands of Time. You can explore hypotheticals and reverse time to repair errors. Only one of the branches exists, and memories from the alternatives fades away over time (so you don't go mad from having an insanely large mental age).

Real life: Ability to repair myself as perfectly as I want. Age, appearance, health, pain tolerance, with the default being "repair perfectly".

rybread

Postby rybread » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:18 pm UTC

Telekinesis: The ultimate power for the lazy male.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

Dr.Robert wrote:This might sound greedy, but the ability to be right. Anything you say, with conviction, will happen.

For example, if I were to be engaged in a fight with a man who could fly, I could simply state that they cannot fly. That person would then fall to the ground, powerless.

This could also essentially enable you with unlimited superpowers, and unlimited power in general. Go me!

I see possible paradoxes that could be created out of this power, however. What if one were to state that they never had the power to always be right to begin with?

Time would go backwards and you would forget ever having that power, and live life as normal etc etc.

100% on tests!
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:47 pm UTC

Aoeniac wrote:
notzeb wrote:Of course, I'd hide the fact that I can also switch minds with animals until my final showdown with my nemesis.

"I, Transparent Guy, will finally defeat you once and for all and...erm... what are you doing? Stop slithering around and pay attention to me while I destroy you! *gasp* NO! You're not supposed to be able to do that! Arrrg! Infrared vision! My one true weakness besides refraction!"

New power choice: an overactive imagination!

I was thinking of something more along the lines of "I, Transparent Guy, have finally cornered you in this deserted warehouse!" *kills me*

And he never notices the cat sneaking up on him from behind!
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

airtank

Postby airtank » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:48 pm UTC

Every day would be the best day of my life.

Undrallio

Postby Undrallio » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:50 pm UTC

I would absoposilutely love to be a Super Villian with the power to shoot ducks at people. How evil is that?!
A wise man told me to follow my heart, so I did. I have a lot of arteries.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:09 pm UTC

Immortality.

Also agreeing with rat, being able to crap tastier food than I ate. mmm............ after 10 itterations starting with pizza..... ah orgasm..
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

apricity

Postby apricity » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:57 pm UTC

Dr.Robert wrote:This might sound greedy, but the ability to be right. Anything you say, with conviction, will happen.

Is it nerdy that the first thing I thought of when I saw that was "Ooh, I could get a Nobel Prize with that!"?

(she/her/hers)

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:25 pm UTC

Do you have the power to turn this power off? I can imagine lots off awkward situations, thought they would be easy to get out of. But if you said "I do not have this power until I say that I do", I don't think you could get it back.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:28 pm UTC

Well just because he is right all the time with the power, doesn't imply he is wrong with it all the time without it......

but I haven't had any discussions with him so I dunno.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

Silly

Postby Silly » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:59 am UTC

I want to throw daggers with my smile.
Cheers,
Tanya

Look! A signature!

parsonsb
301st Spartan (Overslept)

Postby parsonsb » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:30 am UTC

the super guitarist ability

it would include the ability to create intricate technically stunning songs/riffs that also came from the heart (so that i'm creating music and not just saying hey i'm good) as well as the ability to play anything by ear having only heard it once

Return to “General”