what would you choose as your super power?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:33 pm UTC

Or physical lmitations such as moving from Germany to Japan in no time at all
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:57 pm UTC

I would definitely choose flight. Definitely.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:02 pm UTC

I would choose to have superpower-killing powers, so when you guys decide to fuck up Earth, I'll be there to stop you!
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:16 pm UTC

....there's one in every lot....

In the WoD, that "one" was called "Hunter".
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Babbler

Postby Babbler » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:18 pm UTC

Time travel would be awesome. Imagine what you would say to your child-self...

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:20 pm UTC

Time travel would be awesome. Imagine what you would say to your child-self...

All I can really think of is "Seriously, don't eat that....."

I was a regular face in poison wards, as a child.

They/them

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:21 pm UTC

Peshmerga wrote:I would choose to have superpower-killing powers, so when you guys decide to fuck up Earth, I'll be there to stop you!

Nobody likes the Haitian.

While checkpoint saves are better than nothing, I'd much prefer a quicksave/freeze state.
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Anmorata » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

Babbler wrote:Time travel would be awesome. Imagine what you would say to your child-self...

Something like, "Hi. I'm you in 20 years. Write this down: Don't drop out of high school to get your GED. Trust me on this. Oh, and yes, you do need to exercise every day. Start now."

Had I not taken that path, everything in my life would be different now. In some respects it'd be better, but the wonderful things I have now would be lost. I don't know. It's a complicated, but I think about it more often that I'd care to admit.

I have a lot of regrets in my life, I guess.
Turn your scars into stars.

Puellus Peregrinus
Sazl. Eliuo Sazl.

Postby Puellus Peregrinus » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

As a former salesman...
I'd like to be able to make people want stuff.
"Oh you want me to have that? Well thanks." I could make any woman lust for me. I could secretly gain power... Hell, I could make myself want to write those essays :D
Romanes eunt domus!

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:14 pm UTC

^ Like the Purple man?

I'd like to have no obvious external superpowers (a la Daredevil/Batman) but just leap around rooftops beating up bad dudes with Two Fists of Justice. And maybe a sword.

shrike

Postby shrike » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:25 pm UTC

This isn't so much a superpower, but has anyone ever wanted to be able to have a "search" function for their house?

With pull down menus and everthing, like the windows search function (even though it sucks sometimes).

Look for: RISK - The Game of World Domination

Look in: Every room.

When was it last used: I have no fucking idea.

Contains the words: Yakutsk, Kamchatka

What size is it: About ye big.

Anyway, if I had to choose a superpower, time manipulation would be pretty sweet. If you think about it, it's also as good as (or better than) lightspeed travel because you can effectively travel instantaneously by stopping time, moving to another location, and starting it again.

Anyone read Hyperion or Fall of Hyperion, specifically the battle between the Soldier, the Shrike and the Ousters? Badass.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:46 pm UTC

I read those (and the Endymion books, but they're not as good)

I remember there were some pretty awesome fights...

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:46 pm UTC

shrike wrote:This isn't so much a superpower, but has anyone ever wanted to be able to have a "search" function for their house?

From an old Fark photoshop contest, the by-far winning entry was this. (Link goes to a Google Image search for the file name of the winning entry, which is no longer available.)

Droffats

Postby Droffats » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:51 pm UTC

Someone mentioned it earlier. The one about touching a book and absorbing all the information in it instantly. But I always imagined it as if I were sliding the book through my head, like a bar code scanner.

NightStar
"Hold very still, Mr President....."

Postby NightStar » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:55 pm UTC

I gotta say, shape-shifting would be freaking awesome. That covers flight, invisibility, and badassery in general.
Hawknc wrote:Madness?
THIS IS COLLEGE!
*Kicks a beer keg over a balcony*

Popliteal

Postby Popliteal » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:58 pm UTC

If I had a choice, not just for one power, but to be like people with powers, I'd choose to be like one of Anne Rice's vampires... one of the ancients. So you can fly, have super strength, the ability to learn basically anything that you see (more mimic, but close enough), inmortality, being able to stay in the sunlight and most of all be damn hot (like they describe them in the books, not Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt). Ever since I first read Interview I've always wanted to be one, they're so awesome.

If I had to choose just one... I'd have to say Time Manipulation. Make a mistake, then rewind and retry :D

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:22 pm UTC

I would want to be able to survive without sleep. Constant stamina, never tired. So much more would get done.

Also, x-ray vision. How you doing, ladies?
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:29 pm UTC

Owijad wrote:
Peshmerga wrote:I would choose to have superpower-killing powers, so when you guys decide to fuck up Earth, I'll be there to stop you!

Nobody likes the Haitian.

The Haitian doesn't block all powers, only telepathy and persuasion have been shown to actually be blocked, and some powers, such as invisibility, are known to not be blocked. The Haitian's main power is memory erasure and all neutralization is an offshoot of that, because Sylar and Peter are the only ones with more than one power and in their cases those powers are derived from their main power.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Coruscate

Postby Coruscate » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

lani wrote:Able to cook meats to perfection while being vegetarian...

That's my dad the super chef. He's a head chef in a great restaurant, best cook I know (besides mum of course!) but he hates it because he's a vegetarien and totally doesn't believe in eating meat and of course, he has to taste dishes as well, poor dad :(

I'd go for being super psychic I think. I'm bored of second guessing what people are thinking and playing mind games.

peter

Postby peter » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

Morph into any animal/shape, plus have attributes of selected item.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:36 am UTC

1)Omnipotence... oh wait I already got that.

2)Not having my posts edited by tricksy mods...
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:45 am UTC

Belial wrote:Hmm. I know I've already gone, but just wanted to throw a cool one out there. It's from an item called Shosuro's Mask from Legend of the Five Rings:

The ability to appear to be whoever the person viewing you most expects to see.

So if you're walking into a classified base? The guards see you as someone who's cleared to be there. If someone is meeting their lover in the garden, and you're there, they see you as him. And so forth.

It gets interesting when there's more than one person present, and they have different expectations.

That said, it's still incredibly useful.

That. Would. Rock.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:10 am UTC

Well, I would have chosen time manipulation, but that 'save point' power would be 1000x more awesome. Like a less boring version of Groundhog Day.

And I'd be a villain. They always lose, but they do it in such a cool way. Plus they get evil lairs, with giant lasers and henchmen.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:35 am UTC

One superpower that I've considered for a while is the ability to create doppelgangers of yourself. The kicker is that you retain one consciousness, but control each doppelganger as if you were it. In short, they all function under one "mind", but each has a brain of its own, so computing power is evenly distributed. Data transfer, of course, is instantaneous, and the bodies can be destroyed at will.

The uses are pretty much limitless. You could create a sports team that could outperform any sports team in existence, simply because of its unparalleled teamwork. You could create a sort of dummy body just for its computing power, for, say, working on a problem. You could "teleport" by creating one body where you wanted to go, and destroying the old one. This also grants practical invincibility; if one body gets impaled through the face, well, there are always more.

An interesting twist to this power would be if your doppelgangers could, upon creation, assume any form you wanted. That way you wouldn't be just invincible yet limited by old age; you'd also be immortal. You could create impostors of existing people, kill/kidnap the original, and essentially steal their life. And I imagine that two bodies with the same consciousness having sex would be a pretty impressive sensation.
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

zagga20

Postby zagga20 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:36 am UTC

time manipulation would be nice... you could go back in time, kill all the greatest scientists/minds in the world, and then publish their work as your own. you'll become a god!

otherwise, err pyrokenesis(i think is what they like to call it) would be nice...
oh i cant choose :(

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:45 am UTC

HYPERiON wrote:Like a less boring version of Groundhog Day.

Window of Opportunity?
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Fluff
See You Next Tuesday

Postby Fluff » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:52 am UTC

Flight. Without a doubt.

Or perhaps the ability to travel faster than light, so that I could explore the rest of the universe.

A combination of the two would be wicked. :D

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:07 am UTC

warriorness wrote:One superpower that I've considered for a while is the ability to create doppelgangers of yourself. The kicker is that you retain one consciousness, but control each doppelganger as if you were it. In short, they all function under one "mind", but each has a brain of its own, so computing power is evenly distributed. Data transfer, of course, is instantaneous, and the bodies can be destroyed at will.

The uses are pretty much limitless. You could create a sports team that could outperform any sports team in existence, simply because of its unparalleled teamwork. You could create a sort of dummy body just for its computing power, for, say, working on a problem. You could "teleport" by creating one body where you wanted to go, and destroying the old one. This also grants practical invincibility; if one body gets impaled through the face, well, there are always more.

An interesting twist to this power would be if your doppelgangers could, upon creation, assume any form you wanted. That way you wouldn't be just invincible yet limited by old age; you'd also be immortal. You could create impostors of existing people, kill/kidnap the original, and essentially steal their life. And I imagine that two bodies with the same consciousness having sex would be a pretty impressive sensation.

I find myself thinking of Naruto--using his Kage Bunshin no Jutsu in combonation with that one he made... i forget it's name.. the "Sexy jutsu" i think its in the marican version. XD

I like your improvements upon the idea though--incorperating twists that allow "teleportation" and so on.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:24 am UTC

Fluff wrote:Flight. Without a doubt.

Or perhaps the ability to travel faster than light, so that I could explore the rest of the universe.

A combination of the two would be wicked. :D

I'm figuring if you can travel faster than light, flight wouldn't be a problem because the effects of gravity would be neglible.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:37 am UTC

You guys are thinking about super powers all the wrong way. Whats the point of being near-omnipotent? Sure, you could take over the world, but it would be kind of a hollow victory, no? You'd be all "Hey, I took over the world with my powers of telepathy and flying and shooting lasers out of my eyes." Thats no great shakes. But what if you could be all "Hey, I took over the world, and my only power is that I have a limitless supply of kiwis that I can pull from behind my ear."

Lasers and flight? Trite and overdone.

Infinite fruit? Badass.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:38 am UTC

What I would want the most I guess isn't really a superpower. I would want to have a flawless strategic mind, kind of like what Captain America had... before he got shot.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:38 am UTC

Who said anything about taking over the world?

I would just page around in peoples' brains all day.

I could entertain myself for *months* by just sitting in a crowded place and sifting through peoples' memories. Occasionally blackmailing someone for a hamburger.

They/them

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:39 am UTC

OmenPigeon wrote:"Hey, I took over the world, and my only power is that I have a limitless supply of kiwis that I can pull from behind my ear."

Lasers and flight? Trite and overdone.

Infinite fruit? Badass.

...can I have mangos instead?

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Belial wrote:Occasionally blackmailing someone for a hamburger.

You mean, horrible person.

I love it.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:40 am UTC

Akira wrote:

I love it.

Well, if I'm sitting there for *months*, I need to eat somehow.

They/them

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:40 am UTC

Belial wrote:Who said anything about taking over the world?

I would just page around in peoples' brains all day.

I could entertain myself for *months* by just sitting in a crowded place and sifting through peoples' memories. Occasionally blackmailing someone for a hamburger.

the only problem is that with unlimited charisma i could talk you out of doing it to me

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:41 am UTC

Actually, screw what I said before. I want to be an anthropomorphic feline with a magic ginzu sword that splits in two. And also a giant robot.

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:45 am UTC

Belial wrote:
Akira wrote:

I love it.

Well, if I'm sitting there for *months*, I need to eat somehow.

yes, but hamburgers? that's jsut cruel and demeaning.

at least make them buy you a nice steak.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:46 am UTC

Why blackmail for a hamburger when you can phone for some samurai pizza?

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:47 am UTC

Is it free?

They/them

Return to “General”