what would you choose as your super power?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sufimoru

Postby Sufimoru » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:24 am UTC

Akira wrote:
Belial wrote:Hmm. I know I've already gone, but just wanted to throw a cool one out there. It's from an item called Shosuro's Mask from Legend of the Five Rings:

The ability to appear to be whoever the person viewing you most expects to see.

So if you're walking into a classified base? The guards see you as someone who's cleared to be there. If someone is meeting their lover in the garden, and you're there, they see you as him. And so forth.

It gets interesting when there's more than one person present, and they have different expectations.

That said, it's still incredibly useful.

That. Would. Rock.

Until the assassin happens to see you while waiting for someone else.

Srsly.

I'd take Permanent, Silent, Stilled, Quickened Polymorph Any Object at will. (Well aware that "Permanent" isn't metamagic)

First and foremost, it gives the ability to look like anyone or anything. Second, for added bonus to teh sneakiness, it lets you do the same thing to anyone else. I'm thinking, change [figure of importance] into, say, a desk, and turn yourself into what that person used to be. When you're all done causing havoc and having fun, turn into the secretary to ensure a safe escape (No one EVER pays attention to the secretary, except the boss that is currently a desk).

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:49 am UTC

(What the hell is the deal with flight? That would get soooo boring after the first few minutes!)

I think mine builds upon Belial's, and is more interesting than simple omniscience or omnilingualism.

My power would be to know (and understand) the answer to any question I think up. Sure, I could want to know what someone thinks about something, but that doesn't mean they're right.

Think about it: say there's a kid who can't find her parents. Belial can probe her mind and see that the kid is thinking "where are my parents?!"

I could ask myself "where are this kid's parents?", and then know where they are.

Touching a book? Puh-lease. I'd just wonder what the book is about and I'd know.

Other opportunities abound.

The time stuff is also cool, but only if I can choose to bring others into the time warp with me.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:44 am UTC

psychosis is my superpower.

i just want backing music. appropriate backing music for when/where-ever i am. people hear the opening strains to some famous piece of music, then, just as i open the door, the rest of the orchestra kicks in.
i do like that mask though, belial. the alternative would be who they least expect to see, because they won't tell anyone for fear of seeming crazy.
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

kbreyette

Postby kbreyette » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:07 am UTC

I have to go with the other two who said shapeshifting.

There aren't really any plans for that, I just know it could have been very handy once or twice.
I tried to think of a signature really quick-like, but I failed. You get this instead. For now. Sort of.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:29 am UTC

I would like to be able to materlialize whatever I thought of, when I wanted to (but not by accident. That would be extremely dangerous)
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:32 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:I would like to be able to materlialize whatever I thought of, when I wanted to (but not by accident. That would be extremely dangerous)

What if your desires are unconscious?
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:54 am UTC

Toe, you have pretty much described Green Lantern's Ring (I am going for the Kyle Rayner one here).

Interesting note: He removes it when he sleeps so that his dreams don't become reality.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:45 am UTC

aldimond wrote:
Toeofdoom wrote:I would like to be able to materlialize whatever I thought of, when I wanted to (but not by accident. That would be extremely dangerous)

What if your desires are unconscious?

Well, thats what I mean't by not by accident. for something to not be an accident it should atleast have to be concious I guess.... or thats what I meant anyway.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:11 am UTC

Has invisibility been said?

EDIT: Controllable, conscious invisibility
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Roffle

Postby Roffle » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

Oh, please. The greatest super power ever?

Unlimited shapeshifting ability.

Three words: Tentacle monster sex.

I mean, how much fun wouldn't that be? Come on! Not to mention, shapeshifting into an incredibly handsome male, for easy up-pickin', or likewise, an incredibly attrative female, if you'd like to try that. Unlimited length and girth? Access to every female locker room ever made? Lesbian sex? You name it!

Come to think of it, way too few Wizards with the ability to cast 9th level spells, in this case shapeshift, are actually narrated as abusing these abilities in said fashion. What an amazing lack of imagination.

Aherm... This makes me a super villain, doesn't it? Dangit. I knew being blonde(ish) wouldn't be enough to get me into hero school.
"Error juris semper nocet"

spacermase

Postby spacermase » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:17 pm UTC

Teleportation, unlimited by distance or dimension. *spoiler* Kinda like Gully Foyle at the end of The Stars My Destination *spoiler*
"You're all freaks, sir. But you always have been freaks. Life is a freak. That's it's hope and glory."
-Comment on humanity, The Stars My Destination, by Alfred Bester

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:25 pm UTC

I actually used to really want what i considered 'ghost' powers--flight, invisibility, the ability to go through objects, possess people/animals, etc. it would be pretty cool... I do also like the concept of time manipulation/save points.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Droffats

Postby Droffats » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:26 pm UTC

What about access to life's command line? That probably covers 'em all.

LE4dGOLEM

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:37 pm UTC

Droffats wrote:What about access to life's command line? That probably covers 'em all.

you could be forced to just go "rm -rf *.* ~/" under duress.*

*I assume "Human Life" is a Linux Distro, obviously.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:23 pm UTC

Roffle wrote:Oh, please. The greatest super power ever?

I mean, how much fun wouldn't that be? Come on! Not to mention, shapeshifting into an incredibly handsome male, for easy up-pickin', or likewise, an incredibly attrative female, if you'd like to try that. Unlimited length and girth? Access to every female locker room ever made? Lesbian sex? You name it!

Come to think of it, way too few Wizards with the ability to cast 9th level spells, in this case shapeshift, are actually narrated as abusing these abilities in said fashion. What an amazing lack of imagination.

Aherm... This makes me a super villain, doesn't it? Dangit. I knew being blonde(ish) wouldn't be enough to get me into hero school.

Fuck that's hilarious, strong post Roffle, way to get back in the game

Drunk Edit: Roffle, I think Tentacle Monster Sex should be your new sig
Last edited by space_raptor on Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Rikkdbomb

Postby Rikkdbomb » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:34 am UTC

I would choose to be able to forget anything i wanted

your ugly face- gone.

that terrible embarassment- gone.

the horrible rejection- gone.

wow.. if only it were true

that or to know everything. to have total understanding..
but i thinnk id probobley make a knife appear out of mid-air and then id decapitate myself..

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:09 am UTC

Yes, the General forum is indeed going downhill...

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:29 am UTC

Some of my personal picks:
bird-like three dimensional linear movement through airspace, shapeshifting, healing (both self and others), blinking/teleportation (Nightcrawler's), phasing through objects (Shadowcat's), immunity to starving/dehydration/exhaustion, infinite charisma, limited mind reading (so as to not fall victim of the typical telepath hearing too many voices in his head weakness), second sight, illusion magic, mad scientist aspect (engineering/programming), self-discipline, superpower stealing (Rogue's) and unlimited use/day D&D or general fantasy type magic and abilities.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

lyworm

Postby lyworm » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:29 am UTC

Time manipulation.
The kind where I can pause everything and only I stay in normal speed, or pause myself as well if I wanted, or fast forward boring classes or slow down fun moments.

Think about it: no more deadlines. Tired? I can make myself time for sleep.

And if I really wanted, I can travel back and forth in time too > : )
Meow.

kbreyette

Postby kbreyette » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:51 am UTC

lyworm wrote:Time manipulation.

Careful with that. Pause too long and you'll find yourself much older than everybody else. :wink:
I tried to think of a signature really quick-like, but I failed. You get this instead. For now. Sort of.

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:53 am UTC

warriorness wrote:One superpower that I've considered for a while is the ability to create doppelgangers of yourself. The kicker is that you retain one consciousness, but control each doppelganger as if you were it. In short, they all function under one "mind", but each has a brain of its own, so computing power is evenly distributed. Data transfer, of course, is instantaneous, and the bodies can be destroyed at will.

The uses are pretty much limitless. You could create a sports team that could outperform any sports team in existence, simply because of its unparalleled teamwork. You could create a sort of dummy body just for its computing power, for, say, working on a problem. You could "teleport" by creating one body where you wanted to go, and destroying the old one. This also grants practical invincibility; if one body gets impaled through the face, well, there are always more.

An interesting twist to this power would be if your doppelgangers could, upon creation, assume any form you wanted. That way you wouldn't be just invincible yet limited by old age; you'd also be immortal. You could create impostors of existing people, kill/kidnap the original, and essentially steal their life. And I imagine that two bodies with the same consciousness having sex would be a pretty impressive sensation.

You terrify me. Let's be friends.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:00 am UTC

Aoeniac wrote:
warriorness wrote:One superpower that I've considered for a while is the ability to create doppelgangers of yourself. The kicker is that you retain one consciousness, but control each doppelganger as if you were it. In short, they all function under one "mind", but each has a brain of its own, so computing power is evenly distributed. Data transfer, of course, is instantaneous, and the bodies can be destroyed at will.

The uses are pretty much limitless. You could create a sports team that could outperform any sports team in existence, simply because of its unparalleled teamwork. You could create a sort of dummy body just for its computing power, for, say, working on a problem. You could "teleport" by creating one body where you wanted to go, and destroying the old one. This also grants practical invincibility; if one body gets impaled through the face, well, there are always more.

An interesting twist to this power would be if your doppelgangers could, upon creation, assume any form you wanted. That way you wouldn't be just invincible yet limited by old age; you'd also be immortal. You could create impostors of existing people, kill/kidnap the original, and essentially steal their life. And I imagine that two bodies with the same consciousness having sex would be a pretty impressive sensation.

You terrify me. Let's be friends.

What's so terrifying about that? More so, I mean, than some of the other things posted so far...
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:14 am UTC

Because a lot of people can muse about having devious powers but not many people can give me the feeling they'd actually use them in malicious ways.

It's like the difference between "I would have the power to crush people's minds because I'm villainous and/or crazy"

and

"I recently wondered what would happen if you could cause somebody's brain to start leaking slowly out their nose. What would that feel like? It would probably be a strange experience for them".

How to put this, there's nothing dramatic in your post. No subtle pleas for attention. You didn't directly say you'd want to usurp somebody's identity or fuck yourself, only that you were pondering the ramifications of it. That makes me very uneasy.

Actually what leaves me the most shaken is you make it sound interesting.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:30 am UTC

The only villainous concept I envisioned was the kidnapping bit, and, to be completely honest, that sentence was put in as filler because I couldn't think of anything else to say. If you look on page 75 in the Post Your Face thread, you'll again see me pondering what it would be like to have multiple processing cores under one consciousness (although I refer to it slightly differently there).

Another interesting use for this power that I didn't mention would be driving. No need for rearview mirrors, no worries about blind spots, and you'd be able to pay a lot more attention to the road.
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:48 am UTC

Time manipulation easily. In fact not a day goes by without me thinking what I could do with the power to stop time.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Edna
Raptors: 4, Humans: 0

Postby Edna » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:22 am UTC

the tree wrote:A super human thirst for knowledge.

Winner!!

I want Superman eye lasers and his natty red boots.

Roffle

Postby Roffle » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:29 pm UTC

space_raptor wrote:
Roffle wrote:Oh, please. The greatest super power ever?

Fuck that's hilarious, strong post Roffle, way to get back in the game

Drunk Edit: Roffle, I think Tentacle Monster Sex should be your new sig

Well, I would... But it's terribly lewd. I don't know if I could do that, I'm awfully shy and stuff.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:32 pm UTC

I want immunity to hangovers. Anything else is a bonus!
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

LE4dGOLEM

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:45 pm UTC

lyworm wrote:Time manipulation.

[/thread]

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:01 pm UTC

davef wrote:I want immunity to hangovers. Anything else is a bonus!

The key to avoiding hangovers is to never stop drinking once you've started.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Roffle

Postby Roffle » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:14 pm UTC

Incidentally, that's also the key to extensive liver damage. And a life as a hobo.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:22 pm UTC

Roffle wrote:Incidentally, that's also the key to extensive liver damage. And a life as a hobo.

I never said it was a perfect method. Of course there are side effects such as... well death. But that's a risk you'll have to take.
- Hesiod, Theogony

LE4dGOLEM

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:34 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
Roffle wrote:Incidentally, that's also the key to extensive liver damage. And a life as a hobo.

I never said it was a perfect method. Of course there are side effects such as... well death. But that's a risk you'll have to take.

Seriously consider: Death or a life of hangovers?

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:44 pm UTC

At least a life of hangovers is full of the 'night-before's that brought them about in the first place. CAn't be all bad.

(Note to self - I realise I'm posting a lot in these fora about suffering from hangovers, thus reinforcing the drunken Irishman stereotype. Either stop drinking as much or stop posting as much.)
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Puellus Peregrinus
Sazl. Eliuo Sazl.

Postby Puellus Peregrinus » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:31 pm UTC

I actually have that power :D .
Well, I haven't tried drinking heavily for more than few in a row, but still.
Romanes eunt domus!

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:44 pm UTC

There is a perfect method that prevents you from having to worry about hangovers at all, ever, period, and also doesn't cause liver damage. It's called not drinking. ;)
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

(What the hell is the deal with flight? That would get soooo boring after the first few minutes!)

Nah, flight is awesome. Everyone wants to fly. It's pretty much the ultimate mobility/perspective/freedom. Or at least it feels like it. Even with teleportation, which logically is *much* better at both transportation and freedom, you *feel* freer if you can just...zip off into the air to escape/get somewhere/get a good look at the situation
Last edited by Belial on Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Nonmus

Postby Nonmus » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:51 pm UTC

william wrote:There is a perfect method that prevents you from having to worry about hangovers at all, ever, period, and also doesn't cause liver damage. It's called not drinking. ;)

That's about as fun as all the people that asked for flight getting on an airplane.
...he said, fully erect.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:51 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:Time manipulation easily. In fact not a day goes by without me thinking what I could do with the power to stop time.

Well for all you know, people are stopping time all around you...you just don't know it. WHOA CREEPY.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:Time manipulation easily. In fact not a day goes by without me thinking what I could do with the power to stop time.

Well for all you know, people are stopping time all around you...you just don't know it. WHOA CREEPY.

So that's where my pants went.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

Return to “General”