morning psychosis

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

negatron

morning psychosis

Postby negatron » Thu May 07, 2009 3:13 pm UTC

I'm probably not the only one with pre-wakefulness syndrome, at least I sure hope so.

Today the cat came in really early in the morning scratching the window to let me know he wants to go outside. Barely aware of the current state of reality, I reasonably assumed the cat has to go outside to plant corn.

'Damn you cat!' I thought. Why must you plant corn at this hour?

I also have a problem with alarm clocks. They seem to encourage me to sleep in rather than wake up. When I hit snooze I assume I just saved the world from a big loud bomb and thus have earned extra nap time.
I shouldn't say anything bad about calculus, but I will - Gilbert Strang

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Re: morning psychosis

Postby Belial » Thu May 07, 2009 3:15 pm UTC

Oh my yes this is a problem I have.

I find it gets worse the less sleep I've had.

There have been times I've insisted I'm other people, which is positively tame compared to the word-and-logic-salad that comes out of my mouth and brain occasionally on waking.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Thu May 07, 2009 3:23 pm UTC

I also have a problem with alarm clocks.

Alarm clocks are the worst for me. Even though they wake me up, they do something really weird to me. Whenever I hear them I feel very strange. Sort of like someone stuffed my head full of scratchy air. It makes me feel so ill I usually just end up going right back to sleep.

As for morning psychosis, I find I have very strange thought processes on waking and for a while afterwords. I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

defaultusername

Postby defaultusername » Thu May 07, 2009 3:31 pm UTC

While this is not something that happens to me frequently, it did happen this morning. I somehow, magically, managed to wake up at 06:00. "Aha", I thought, "it's barely 6 in the morning. Therefore, it is clearly sunday". I subsequently oversleep drasticly and miss my pre-noon lectures.
Because phlogiston.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu May 07, 2009 3:49 pm UTC

I get it with alarm clock occasionally.
Once I thought it was a small barrack, and that when the alarm was going it was the call to arms for the soldiers to shoot at me. When I hit the snooze button they got scared and ran away for ten minutes.
There are others but I can't recall them right now.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Thu May 07, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

I once woke up convinced that there were stalactites on my ceiling, and they were going to fall off and smash my face. Luckily I was thinking clearly enough to... turn over and sleep with my head at the foot of the bed, which solved everything somehow?
Last edited by electronic mily on Thu May 07, 2009 5:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Thu May 07, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

Belial wrote:There have been times I've insisted I'm other people, which is positively tame compared to the word-and-logic-salad that comes out of my mouth and brain occasionally on waking.

What do you mean "on waking?"
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu May 07, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

What do you mean "constantly salad matriarchs"?

They/them

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu May 07, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

Beyond getting enraged at alarm clocks in any form (I used to think it was the tone, but even a phone on vibrate resting on my forehead/in my palm gets me angry), I have very strange ideas about what they actually mean. Very rarely does this have anything at all to do with waking up. I set two alarms, one an hour before the other, so that I'll have a better chance of actually understanding my alarm once it's actually supposed to wake me up. The time in-between the two is often incredibly confusing. I've had times where I was sure I could stop time or travel through it at will in order to actually make that hour last forever. I wish I could remember specific delusions, because they can be incredibly outlandish and elaborate. This morning's was particularly distressing.

A month or two ago I was sleeping in on a friday (I don't have class on fridays) and my mom came in at around 10 to ask me where I had been the previous night (I had been at a party at a friend's house until very early morning). My friend's name is Aaron, but it came out a very clearly enunciated and forceful "Sandy!" When I actually got up at around noon, she was worried that I had a fever and was highly delusional.

My worst delusions, though, are when I'm falling asleep and suffering from insomnia. I create intense mental tasks I need to solve that will somehow result in sleep. Short of actually getting up and walking around, I'm completely incapable of getting rid of these associations, even if I'm fully aware that they're ridiculous. The mental workout of getting through these tasks (which are entirely nonsensical but still follow some convoluted form of logic) is exhausting, and makes the insomnia itself more intense. This gets exceptionally bad when I've spent a long time programming before sleeping.

Orca

Postby Orca » Thu May 07, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

I have this issue too. When I hear sounds right before I wake up, it's a mix of dream and reality.
I often hear things like "Get up, we're all outta salt!" or "Zombie invasion! Grab teh shotgun!"
If you start an argument over whether "they" "them" and "their" can be used as gender neutral singular pronouns, in this thread, I will do terrible, terrible things to you.
-Belial

vslayer

Postby vslayer » Thu May 07, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

i have a similar mental state in the morning, which can last up to half an hour, however that is entirely explainable by an interrupted dream. what i find really strange is that if i have anywhere less than 7 hours sleep i will bolt awake perfectly sane 2 minutes before my alarm is due to go off.

Mous

Postby Mous » Thu May 07, 2009 9:13 pm UTC

Sometimes as soon as I wake up, I jump off my bed and go outside and sprint around the block, muttering something about getting away from bees/bugs/dinosaurs/etc.

Except that's a really bad way to wake up, and I collapse after a short while because the dizzyness you get from standing up too quickly, along with general unsteadyness due to being asleep catches up with me.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu May 07, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

I woke up one morning to find a piece of paper on my floor scribbled on in my handwriting.
It had a picture of a doughnut, then a bigger doughnut, then half a circle.
Underneath it said "UNIVERSE"

I still don;t know what it meant, sleepy logic is hilarious.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Mous

Postby Mous » Thu May 07, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

You knew the meaning of life for a second there.
It's okay, if you figured out what it meant the universe would explode and be instantly replaced with something even more inexplicable.
Upon a painted ocean.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Thu May 07, 2009 9:45 pm UTC

Mous wrote:You knew the meaning of life for a second there.
It's okay, if you figured out what it meant the universe would explode and be instantly replaced with something even more inexplicable.
Uhh, too late. Most leading universe theorists think this has already happened.

And would the doughnuts thing maybe be about the shape of the universe or something? I'm pretty sure I've heard something about that before, though I didn't really look into it. To the google!
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu May 07, 2009 9:47 pm UTC

Yeah, it probably was but I;d heard about that before the incident.
Just remembered there was a few arrows orbiting around the hole in the middle, and the semi circle.
It was strange.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Thu May 07, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

One day I woke up, and for an hour afterwards I was unable to blink, because I knew that if I did blink I would see the entire universe, and know the Truth, and be unable to live from that point forward.
I was sleepy as hell, though, and eventually my heavy eyelids dropped shut, and I fell asleep. And in that brief splinter of time between consciousness and the Dreaming, I was witness to something cosmic and incomprehensible.

It's a good thing I forgot it as soon as I woke up.
500%!

Forum Viking

Postby Forum Viking » Thu May 07, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

Out of curiosity, for those bilingual forumites out there, which language do you dream in? .
Search engines: Helping you help yourself.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Fri May 08, 2009 12:30 am UTC

I dream in a mix of French and English. I think this is mostly because I use both in regular dialogue regardless of the languahe of the conversation. Occasionally Spanish, Hebrew, and Latin creep in, and sometimes I'll get gibberish that I'm absolutely convinced is Russian. I don't speak Russian.

My alarm clock is Chopin's nocturne and sometimes I'll wake up absolutely convinced that my friend Catherine (who sleeps on my pillow) is in reality a piano in disguise. I have also mistaken her for a dog, a computer, a hat and pillow. The last one had rather painful results.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Fri May 08, 2009 1:40 am UTC

This only happens occasionally (that I remember), although my last ex said the first couple of weeks we slept together were scary, 'cause he'd wake up first and I'm mumble things that were incomprehensible and occasionally really mean.
I've also woke up yelling "the alarm vector, I can't calculate the alarm vector" before. At my alarm clock. Scared the hell out of my roommate.
And apparently, sophomore year, I used to go to bed long before my roommate. And when she came into the room, I would sit up in bed and watch her. Creepy, yes, but made worse by 1) I don't sleep with a shirt on and 2) She didn't tell me until March. I had been doing it all year...

aging.child

Postby aging.child » Fri May 08, 2009 3:10 am UTC

As for the language thing, I had a dream once that I was really trying to speak in French (I've taken four years of it in school), because for some reason I couldn't speak in English anymore. But then I realized that I was trying too hard to communicate simple ideas, and accidently woke up.

In an unrelated event, I was saying goodbye to my mom one day before I went to the bus stop, and she looked really frantic, saying that she'd misplaced her cookie cutters. So she starts looking under the covers for them, then she accused me of taking them, which is when I decided to leave. She didn't remember the incident until that afternoon when I asked her if she found her cookie cutters. Then she explained that, in her dream, our entire lives revolved around selling cookies, so the cookie cutters were vital. Didn't make it less creepy.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. --Douglas Adams

justaman

Postby justaman » Fri May 08, 2009 4:16 am UTC

C'thulhu fhtagn
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

mf92

Postby mf92 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:53 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:
My worst delusions, though, are when I'm falling asleep and suffering from insomnia. I create intense mental tasks I need to solve that will somehow result in sleep. Short of actually getting up and walking around, I'm completely incapable of getting rid of these associations, even if I'm fully aware that they're ridiculous. The mental workout of getting through these tasks (which are entirely nonsensical but still follow some convoluted form of logic) is exhausting, and makes the insomnia itself more intense. This gets exceptionally bad when I've spent a long time programming before sleeping.

Okay, I have the opposite problem. In the morning my mind convinces me that I need to stay ASLEEP in order to figure out some obscure problem that my subconscious has conjured up. I'm know I'm awake while this is happening because I'll be getting up and turning off my alarm. Recently I dreamt/thought that I had to stay asleep so that I could figure out some geometric problem involving the circumference of a sphere. I even gave the equations I was doing names. I've also convinced myself that I was receiving text messages from some anonymous source regarding a project I had to do for school (I really did have a project to do). If I got out of bed these messages so crucial to my school work would fail. I really hate my subconscious.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 08, 2009 12:06 pm UTC

Forum Viking wrote:Out of curiosity, for those bilingual forumites out there, which language do you dream in? .
I'm not bilingual.

I say this because, on occasion, I've spent 15-30 minutes after waking convinced that I learned X language in my sleep - and it's exactly like English. No accents or anything, you just adjust the "Russian" portion of your brain and you're speaking perfect Russian.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri May 08, 2009 12:12 pm UTC

Regarding languages: when I used to think and speak primarily in Afrikaans, I would dream in Afrikaans. When I started dreaming in English and making shopping lists in English, I knew I'd been living amongst the English for too long :)

I think we all have confusion in the moments between waking and sleep (does anyone else ever think they'd already got up to go get water or pee, and find out they'd only dreamt it? Luckily I always realise in time ;)). I often speak Afrikaans to my non-Afrikaans speaking husband on first waking. But the one thing that still manages to upset me a little bit, is when I think shapes on the bed or carpet are my friend Catherine that used to sleep on my bed, who passed away last year :(
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Themata

Postby Themata » Fri May 08, 2009 12:28 pm UTC

My mum walked into my room once to get dishes off my desk or something, while I was still sleeping. I remember that I woke up but my dream logic kicked in, so as she went to take an empty pepsi bottle off my desk I mumbled something along the lines of "No! Don't throw it out! I'm collecting the labels!". I promptly fell asleep again and when I awoke again hours later, I remembered the incident exactly and wondered what the hell had happened to my brain.

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri May 08, 2009 12:43 pm UTC

mf92 wrote:Okay, I have the opposite problem. In the morning my mind convinces me that I need to stay ASLEEP in order to figure out some obscure problem that my subconscious has conjured up.

Oh good, that's not just me.

They/them

Ouch.jars

Postby Ouch.jars » Fri May 08, 2009 12:53 pm UTC

Once, I was convinced that my alarm clock was showing "genie time" and I didn't need to get up. After a dream involving boarding a plane at 4:00 "eskimo time", I was convinced my clock was showing "eskimo time" upon waking.
I vaguely remember thinking about something to do with cinnamon and my alarm clock, which may or may not have happened before I started reading xkcd.

My dad also tells me that I once told him "I need something." He responded, "What do you need?", to which I replied, "Something... for [my name]". I had not remembered any of that...
ouchjars: putting the "pie" in "sapience" since '08

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Fri May 08, 2009 12:59 pm UTC

I just turned in my last paper online. Two all-nighters in two days. I'm done with the semester, though. Wooo.

Okay, it took me several tries to make this sound coherent.

Jahan

Postby Jahan » Fri May 08, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

I have noticed that if I am awoken from a deep sleep, I often have a hard time becoming "fully" conscious and end up talking complete and utter bollocks. My brain says "good morning" thing but my mouth says "glarblahgetoutofmyroomaghhhhh!jet pack assassins are after me!what..what...what are you. No. I don't wan...why are you gr*zzzzzzzzzz*"

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Fri May 08, 2009 2:35 pm UTC

Jahan wrote:I have noticed that if I am awoken from a deep sleep, I often have a hard time becoming "fully" conscious and end up talking complete and utter bollocks. My brain says "good morning" thing but my mouth says "glarblahgetoutofmyroomaghhhhh!jet pack assassins are after me!what..what...what are you. No. I don't wan...why are you gr*zzzzzzzzzz*"

Oh, yeah, I've done this one.

*sudden crash of dog knocking over lamp, sound of parents rushing into my room to make sure I haven't fallen through the floor*
Parents: Oh me yarm WHAT HAPPEN
My brain: I'm okay. I think the dog knocked the lamp over, that's all.
Me: KEYS! On the ground. The kind of keys you push, they've got numbers on them... grrrrfblfmphsshhhfgll...
Parents: WUT

Mous

Postby Mous » Fri May 08, 2009 2:36 pm UTC

If I get a text message while sleeping (or, rarer, if someone calls me), I apparently reply with the weirdest responses ("I DON'T WANT ANY FUCKING TRASHCANS!"). But when I wake up in the morning I have no memory of it.
Upon a painted ocean.

Jahan

Postby Jahan » Fri May 08, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

electronic mily wrote:
Jahan wrote:I have noticed that if I am awoken from a deep sleep, I often have a hard time becoming "fully" conscious and end up talking complete and utter bollocks. My brain says "good morning" thing but my mouth says "glarblahgetoutofmyroomaghhhhh!jet pack assassins are after me!what..what...what are you. No. I don't wan...why are you gr*zzzzzzzzzz*"

Oh, yeah, I've done this one.

*sudden crash of dog knocking over lamp, sound of parents rushing into my room to make sure I haven't fallen through the floor*
Parents: Oh me yarm WHAT HAPPEN
My brain: I'm okay. I think the dog knocked the lamp over, that's all.
Me: KEYS! On the ground. The kind of keys you push, they've got numbers on them... grrrrfblfmphsshhhfgll...
Parents: WUT

:lol:
I allways associate this subconcious/concious conflict with a quote from FALILV: "The mind recoils in horror, unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interesting because you can actually watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it."

ASmileWithoutACat

Postby ASmileWithoutACat » Fri May 08, 2009 2:46 pm UTC

Weird alarm responses don't really happen to me; maybe I subconsciously expect it to go off and wake up in advance? I don't know. If people come in and wake me up when I'm not expecting it, though...
Well, usually I'm responsive and just don't remember what happened. The other day, however, I was staying over at my parents' and my mom woke me to ask if I wanted breakfast. I told her I was okay, I had a bagel. She asked again to make sure, but I was very insistent about this bagel that I had.
Later I woke up, wandered in and asked where breakfast was, and she told me that she hadn't cooked me any, since I said that about the bagel. At which point I started to remember saying it.
I'm not absolutely sure what was going on in my head, but I'm almost sure I believed I had a bagel hidden under the pillow. With cream cheese and all.
You know it's all beginning
To feel like pretending...

Happy yesterday to all!

Jahan

Postby Jahan » Fri May 08, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

I have done this so many times. I've even dreamt weeks of time where I was at a hybrid of my Uni days and college days all combined. It was..odd. It happens around times of stress, like if I ahve an essay due in really soon
Spoiler:

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Fri May 08, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

The above is full of ponies.

Occasionally, my alarm will go off while I'm dreaming and I'll try to answer a phone or something (this becomes worse when my alarm is my phone). Other than that, I usually only say weird things when someone has woken me from a deep sleep after having been awake for days. Tired and slightly drowsy has almost become the norm for me in my functioning hours, so I've grown accustomed to it.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Fri May 08, 2009 6:50 pm UTC

My family has a history of being really gibberatic (word? no? definitely no?) when not fully awake. I have done it once or twice, but the thing is, my brain is functioning perfectly- it's my mouth that's doing the fucking up.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Fri May 08, 2009 7:11 pm UTC

I tend to say very strange things when I'm not entirely awake, one day, upon waking up, I asked my mom where she had parked the submarine. This happens late at night too, the only one I can remember is "I don't know why it's called the Chicken Theorem." I assure you, this made perfect sense to me at the time. on occasion I will become convinced that I have to finish a dream before I can wake up, because I think that the dream is part of the real world, and is vitally important.

My mom is actually worse about these kinds of things, I can't think of any right now though.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

wst

Postby wst » Fri May 08, 2009 7:24 pm UTC

First thing I said last week, Thursday, "Is it Friday?"

I then groaned when I got a negative reply...
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri May 08, 2009 8:12 pm UTC

My mum had a good asleep conversation with me recently.

Me: *arrives home about noon from a party the night before, about to go back out*
Mum: Your dad phoned, he'll call back at four
Me: that's cool, I'll be in then
Mum: Also you got another call, some man saying you have to update your Lj
Me: What now?
Mum: You have to update your Lj with something about... silly dreams...

I came home later:
Mum: Did you come home about noon, I remember telling you your dad phoned, but I might have been dreaming...
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Return to “General”