Underseat seatbelt scales

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

chronocaptive
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 1:36 am UTC

Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby chronocaptive » Wed May 20, 2009 1:55 am UTC

You remember when they started implementing those electronic scales that went under the drivers seat so that whenever something tipped them off and the seatbelt wasn't on the light would come on and that annoying beeping started happening? They've started putting them on the passenger side now too. Only, they made one huge mistake. No, two huge mistakes. Two.

1) Sometimes people put heavy bags and crap in the passengers seat. Especially lonely bachelors like me who don't want to reach into the back seat to pull their meager weeks worth of groceries (beef jerky, rice, and Arizona Green Tea), or people who travel with a ton of bags full of equipment they never use (again, like me). Now my green tea and my seismology bag have to either sit in the floorboard or wear a seatbelt.

2) They made the sensors way WAY too sensitive. Anything will set it off. I set a couple of pizzas on the passenger seat of my rental cars and alarms start going off accusingly, like I've decided to place a kitten on the dash and see what happens. My laptop sets them off too, btw, and now I carry it around with me in the car less because putting a seatbelt on it is about as annoying as having an annoying child. And, like many of you reading this right now, my laptop is my life, and this is really making me angry.

The rant now having been over, I will come to my point. What has possessed the good mechanical engineers at these manufacturing plants to set these alarms to 5 pound sensitivity? Is it the layoffs? The economy must play some part in it. No one in their right mind would place a 10 pound infant in the front seat of a car without a 15 pound harness setup, and thats about the only human thing that could possibly weigh so little. Besides, if you did that to a child that size and age the seatbelt would be the least of its worries, for God's sake. Point being, does anyone know how to disable this or lower the sensitivity on these things without doing irreparable damage, because I'm in a new rental car every week, and I've already torn the wires out of my personal car in abject frustration.

User avatar
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers
Posts: 3892
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Aust
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed May 20, 2009 2:02 am UTC

chronocaptive wrote:No one in their right mind ...
Now, if only more people were in their right mind more often, we wouldn't need this sort of thing ;)

Just buckle the belt over the empty seat when you first get in. That way you're free to place things on the passenger side and the belt is already fastened.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

chronocaptive
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 1:36 am UTC

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby chronocaptive » Wed May 20, 2009 2:08 am UTC

Oh no, thats what I'm doing, but as much as I would like to be in a car that allows the seatbelt to lay flat against the seat, most cars are built so that the seats are bucket seats and therefore the seatbelt is projected such that half of the seat is covered with seatbelt at an awkward level. Plus, its about a one in four chance that when I step into a rental car, its going to have that seat thing, so I'm almost always done loading it before I ever turn the car on to find out if it has it, and by then its too late, but to place something heavy on it and going around the car to test it every time I get into a new one would be nearly as frustrating as just putting a seatbelt on whatever I've loaded, and would take more time, so I'm stuck trying to get the thing unplugged or something.

User avatar
rath358
The bone of my bone
Posts: 944
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:02 am UTC
Location: west Camberville

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby rath358 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:41 am UTC

obtain a metal thing sized like the clicking part of a seatbelt...(thats the part that shuts off the alarm, right?) and stick it in if the sizes are the same. it might work...

User avatar
hack124x768
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:18 am UTC
Location: everett
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby hack124x768 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:46 am UTC

You need to drive older cars man. I don't even know if my '90 has an alarm for the driver side. :p

But seriously, if you complain about it to the rental companies they may disable it in the future depending on how many complaints they get. It's just one switch that needs to have a jumper put across it.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

User avatar
mrbaggins
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:23 am UTC
Location: Wagga, Australia

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby mrbaggins » Wed May 20, 2009 8:14 am UTC

It's against the law in some places I think to intentionally disable or circumvent vehicle safety measures...
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

User avatar
hack124x768
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:18 am UTC
Location: everett
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby hack124x768 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:18 am UTC

mrbaggins wrote:It's against the law in some places I think to intentionally disable or circumvent vehicle safety measures...


You have no idea how infuriating that is to me. However, I bet you have already heard all of the reason I would be spewing. :p

Anyway, safety features suck.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby Hawknc » Wed May 20, 2009 10:12 am UTC

Because you're clearly too awesome to ever have an accident?

User avatar
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...
Posts: 6440
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Beyond the goblin city
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby Moo » Wed May 20, 2009 10:32 am UTC

I have a 2007 Ford Focus with a passenger seatbelt alarm, but I have never put shopping or my handbag or anything on there and had it go off... useless anecdote. Maybe Ford is a bit more in their right minds than others.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

User avatar
rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR
Posts: 1267
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:14 am UTC
Location: Land of Brits

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby rnew » Wed May 20, 2009 10:35 am UTC

rath358 wrote:obtain a metal thing sized like the clicking part of a seatbelt...(thats the part that shuts off the alarm, right?) and stick it in if the sizes are the same. it might work...
This. is a great idea. If only the clicking in part was made universal so you were sure it would work. I would definitly carry one around.

Moo wrote:I have a 2007 Ford Focus with a passenger seatbelt alarm,
show off
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

User avatar
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...
Posts: 6440
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Beyond the goblin city
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby Moo » Wed May 20, 2009 10:37 am UTC

Sorry, here's what I meant to write:
Moo wrote:I have a 2007 Ford Focus with a passenger seatbelt alarm... so there!
:)
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby Hawknc » Wed May 20, 2009 10:44 am UTC

Moo wrote:Maybe Ford is a bit more in their right minds than others.

Darn tootin'. ;)

icanus
Posts: 478
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:19 pm UTC
Location: in England now abed

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby icanus » Wed May 20, 2009 10:58 am UTC

Maybe Ford are the only ones that don't realise having loose objects flying around the car at vital-organ height in the event of a crash is a bad idea, and that you should put things in the boot(trunk) or passenger footwell not on the passenger seat? It's not a bug, it's a feature.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8565
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby Zohar » Wed May 20, 2009 11:01 am UTC

Moo wrote:Maybe Ford is a bit more in their right minds than others.


I have a 2003 Focus and I have to say it's very annoying sometimes. The fact that I have to turn of the engine and take out the key to fill up gas isn't too bad. But I can't take the key out without placing it in Parking, I can't open the front of the car without turning off the key... It's very frustrating. Yesterday I took my car to the shop and he wanted me to open the front as well as place the car in Neutral. So I had to turn off the engine, place the car in P, take out the key, open the front, put the key back in, half-turn it and place the gear in N.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...
Posts: 6440
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Beyond the goblin city
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby Moo » Wed May 20, 2009 11:18 am UTC

You have ... an automatic?... *stiffles giggle*
Seriously though, that sounds annoying; but not being able to open the bonnet without the key is a safety feature. For example when I used to borrow my dad's car I used to use the spare key that didn't have a remote alarm control, and I used to just disconnect the alarm's power and take it from his work's car park.

Icanus makes a point, I never put anything heavy there that is small enough to fly around in an accident, just the bread and milk (maybe even that's bad, but whatevs). I heard it explained as the acceleration of a typical front impact accident can make a can of baked beans exert the force on your skull of something 4 times its mass under normal gravitational acceleration, and that that can be fatal - but [citation needed].
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8565
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby Zohar » Wed May 20, 2009 11:23 am UTC

I prefer manual as well, but it's my dad who bought it. Plus, if you have to drive in traffic jams, it is definitely more comfortable. As for shopping, I place them in my trunk. The Focus has a pretty huge trunk.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
hack124x768
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:18 am UTC
Location: everett
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby hack124x768 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:30 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:Because you're clearly too awesome to ever have an accident?


No, because me not being allowed to control my own vehicle is not cool bro. If I don't like a particular safety feature, I should not have to have it. Honestly, about the only driver aide I like is power steering. Airbags, power brakes, ABS, TCS, etc... all bother me.

I've been in a few accidents (usually as a passenger), and seatbelts were the only thing that helped at all in any of them, and even then, not much (I would have rather hit the back of the passenger seat than have that bruise on my chest that one time...).

Basically, it should be personal preference how well one chooses to protect themselves. I don't like the laws here. Grrr....
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

User avatar
mrbaggins
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:23 am UTC
Location: Wagga, Australia

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby mrbaggins » Wed May 20, 2009 11:46 am UTC

hack124x768 wrote:No, because me not being allowed to control my own vehicle is not cool bro. If I don't like a particular safety feature, I should not have to have it. Honestly, about the only driver aide I like is power steering. Airbags, power brakes, ABS, TCS, etc... all bother me.

You've obviously never been involved in a side on collision with an airbag deploying. Power brakes? HA. Next time you turn the car off, push your foot to the floor on the brake as hard as you can. Then take it off and pump a few more times, then try again. The difference in how far you can push the brake in is both how much power braking is helping you, and a hell of a lot more braking power. TCS = Traction control? Unless you're a rally or race driver, you should never notice it. Even then, it only really affects you a little, and most professional drivers like having it. If you do notice it, it says you're driving dangerously anyway.
I've been in a few accidents (usually as a passenger), and seatbelts were the only thing that helped at all in any of them, and even then, not much (I would have rather hit the back of the passenger seat than have that bruise on my chest that one time...).

Uh... no. Chances are that instead of a bruise, you would have cracked ribs or other bones at a minimum. And that's assuming it was a nice neat head on collision (the safest of all collisions). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... crash.html says that unbelted rear seat passengers are the biggest danger to front seat passengers.
Basically, it should be personal preference how well one chooses to protect themselves. I don't like the laws here. Grrr....

Hell no. You dying, or more in point, getting grievously injured, is detrimental to everyone. Besides the fact that you being flung through your windshield is not pretty to watch, it also poses many 3rd party hazards.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

User avatar
hack124x768
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:18 am UTC
Location: everett
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby hack124x768 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:07 pm UTC

Airbags scare the hell out of me. Do you have any idea how much force those have, or the fact they have "Danger, poisonous gases! Do not breath!" written on the back? I've seen them go off. Bad times. Yes, I have driven without power brakes, and I like it much better, you can feel how the disks and drums FEEL, negating the need for ABS to do it for you. I know what the pedal feels like when a wheel is about to lock up; Do you? Lack of power steering bugs me, but that's only because I'm a wussy girly boy who needs to work out more.

TCS lets you go further into the danger zone without wrecking, and makes it worse once you do lose control. If I notice a tire slip, I slow the hell down, not rely on a computer to correct for it and keep on going too fast, then when the computer can't keep up anymore. Uh oh, time to buy a new you.

Newp, wouldn't have hurt a thing. It was a rear-end-er at about 15mph in city traffic, and I was in the back seat on the side. Worst wreck I've ever been in. Meh.

Flying through the windshield won't hurt anyone else at the speeds required. There are no pedestrians on highways for a reason.

Also, if it makes you feel any better, on nice days I ride a motorcycle with NO safety features at all. That's where I am coming from with this. The best feeling is you and the road, with complete control. Some of the older stick drivers here may relate to that.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

User avatar
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...
Posts: 6440
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Beyond the goblin city
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby Moo » Wed May 20, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

Getting waaay off topic.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

User avatar
mrbaggins
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:23 am UTC
Location: Wagga, Australia

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby mrbaggins » Wed May 20, 2009 12:42 pm UTC

hack124x768 wrote:Do you have any idea how much force those have, or the fact they have "Danger, poisonous gases! Do not breath!" written on the back?

Yeah, they have so much force that they fully inflate before you are able to hit them thus making all that force moot. Likewise, the gases are only toxic before the reaction takes place, as the Sodium/Nitrogen molecule (the toxic gas) is completely used. I wouldn't make a habit of inhaling it airbag exhaust, but considering the levels normally allowed, it obviously works.
hack124x768 wrote:you can feel how the disks and drums FEEL, negating the need for ABS to do it for you

You also can't apply near as much force (and would struggle to be able to lock the wheels). Assisted or power brakes (notable vacuum assisted) have been fitted stock on cars for decades. ABS doesn't do ANYTHING until the tyres have locked up. Again, if you're hitting ABS in normal driving, you're doing it wrong. Yes, I do know how wheels feel before they lock up, and I'm one of the very few people who can stop a car quicker than someone in the same car slamming their foot on the ABS (Tried and tested multiple times at the Holden Performance Driving Center near Jacobs Creek, QLD, Australia).
hack124x768 wrote:TCS lets you go further into the danger zone without wrecking, and makes it worse once you do lose control. If I notice a tire slip, I sliw the hell down, not rely on a computer to correct for it and keep on going too fast, then when the computer can't keep up anymore. Uh oh, time to buy a new you.

Thing is, a lot of people don't realise how low that point is. TCS helps keep them on the road when they would have otherwise come off, even though they were driving 'safely'. You would probably find that the people who the traction control has helped save would have crashed instantly at the time if they didn't have it. You say "If I notice a tire slip, I slow down", but what about the one time where it slips a little too far, and you write off the car? TCS could very well have stopped it (and to boot, you'd still know it did it. Firstly, you can feel it, secondly, most systems tell you they've been activated, and thus to ease off).
hack124x768 wrote:Newp, wouldn't have hurt a thing. It was a rear-end-er at about 15mph in city traffic, and I was in the back seat on the side. Worst wreck I've ever been in

Sorry, you said you'd been in a few collisions. I'm surprised you even got a bruise out being hit at 15mph. I've been in a car that hit an embankment backwards at about 45mph, and I assure you, seatbelts are very handy.
hack124x768 wrote:Flying through the windshield won't hurt anyone else at the speeds required. There are no pedestrians on highways for a reason.

An 80Kg person hurtling through through the air isn't going to splat on the windscreen of whoever is unfortunate to catch it. They're gonna kill someone. http://www.theindychannel.com/news/17413423/detail.html Is a father and son being thrown from a car in a city (No idea what the speed limit is on those style streets in the States.)
hack124x768 wrote:Also, if it makes you feel any better, on nice days I ride a motorcycle with NO safety features at all.

And that's probably why motorcycle crashes are almost ALWAYS fatal to the rider.
hack124x768 wrote:That's where I am coming from with this. The best feeling is you and the road, with complete control. Some of the older stick drivers here may relate to that.

Hell, I relate to that. Fact is though, and I'm sure you'll agree, a lot of people on the road don't have as comprehensive a skill set as you or I, and thus benefit from the safety features such as TCS to avoid coming off the road, ABS to stop quicker than locking the wheels, Airbags to cushion their collisions, Seatbelts to keep them in the car/cushion collisions and other useful stuff.
Moo wrote:Getting waaay off topic.

Hmmm... It's about whether seatbelt reminders (And other safety features, now...) are worth the hassle.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

User avatar
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...
Posts: 6440
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Beyond the goblin city
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby Moo » Wed May 20, 2009 1:17 pm UTC

Yeah, not a one to one argument about who knows the most or is the most rugged manly hur hur driver, or ABS or airbags. I can just see this lasting a few rounds. Neither you nor hack124x768 have gone anywhere seatbelt reminders and, more on topic, their calibration, in your last few posts.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

User avatar
hack124x768
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:18 am UTC
Location: everett
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby hack124x768 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Yeah, not a one to one argument about who knows the most or is the most rugged manly hur hur driver, or ABS or airbags. I can just see this lasting a few rounds. Neither you nor hack124x768 have gone anywhere seatbelt reminders and, more on topic, their calibration, in your last few posts.


Mine are calibrated so if your fatt butt damages the seat, I'll yell at you. :D

Back to our argument, I think the problem is I am saying that _I_ Do Not Like all that crap, and _I_ should be able to disable them if I so choose. You are saying that to the masses they are beneficial, which may be, but I'm not talking about everyone, I'm talking about me. Joe Shmow may be better off with them, so whatever works for him, but keep em away from me. I didn't say they shouldn't be there in the first place, only that I should be able to remove them.

Yes motorcycle crashes are often fatal. But of all the ways to die, that one would be quite acceptable to me.

Edit: The rear ender was some carpoolers and I in a small toyota going under the rear end of a ford exploder. The sudden shock that gave me the bruise was the exploder's hitch contacting the crossmember. That was the worst wreck I have been in by damages and injuries, not by epic-ness. I also have whipped around and backed into a median at highway speeds. Bad tires and ice did me in there. Power transfer wasn't the issue, so TCS wouldn't have helped. Infact, the selective braking might have killed me by rolling it over. Bad times in a high COG vehicle. I did drive away though, so let that be a lesson to buy American. *proud pose* (joking around, but still, it's a well made truck)
Last edited by hack124x768 on Wed May 20, 2009 2:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby Hawknc » Wed May 20, 2009 2:11 pm UTC

hack124x768 wrote:Airbags scare the hell out of me. Do you have any idea how much force those have, or the fact they have "Danger, poisonous gases! Do not breath!" written on the back? I've seen them go off. Bad times. Yes, I have driven without power brakes, and I like it much better, you can feel how the disks and drums FEEL, negating the need for ABS to do it for you. I know what the pedal feels like when a wheel is about to lock up; Do you? Lack of power steering bugs me, but that's only because I'm a wussy girly boy who needs to work out more.

Thing is, you think you're a sufficiently bad dude that you don't need ABS or ESC or airbags, but all you have to do is lapse once - only once, a slight drop in concentration - and you won't react fast enough to stop. The car reacts faster than you can ever possibly hope to try which is why all those safety features are installed in the first place. And, to bring it all back around, they're only worth a damn to you if you wear a seat belt in the first place.

That said, I don't think it should be illegal to disable any particular safety features, at least ones that only pertain to driver safety and not that of external parties. If you're stupid enough to do so, though, your insurance shouldn't pay you a damn cent when you get into a crash.

As for why the weight sensors are calibrated the way they are, I'm honestly not sure what the metric is to determine it, but each OEM would have their own. My 2008 Focus doesn't appear to have that on the passenger seat, which is relieving for me because I do tend to store stuff there (yeah, naughty). Judging the difference between a passenger and cargo involves more than weight calculations, so I'd be happy to have one in when they're advanced enough to tell that I'm storing a large box on the seat and not a person. This has prompted me to do some research into when I get back into work tomorrow, though...

User avatar
hack124x768
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:18 am UTC
Location: everett
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby hack124x768 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:24 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:Thing is, you think you're a sufficiently bad dude that you don't need ABS or ESC or airbags, but all you have to do is lapse once - only once, a slight drop in concentration - and you won't react fast enough to stop. The car reacts faster than you can ever possibly hope to try which is why all those safety features are installed in the first place. And, to bring it all back around, they're only worth a damn to you if you wear a seat belt in the first place.

Darn tootin'. Old cars without all that crap feel better.

That said, I don't think it should be illegal to disable any particular safety features, at least ones that only pertain to driver safety and not that of external parties. If you're stupid enough to do so, though, your insurance shouldn't pay you a damn cent when you get into a crash.


Then we partially agree. My opinion on insurance companies is an entirely different matter though.

As for why the weight sensors are calibrated the way they are, I'm honestly not sure what the metric is to determine it, but each OEM would have their own. My 2008 Focus doesn't appear to have that on the passenger seat, which is relieving for me because I do tend to store stuff there (yeah, naughty). Judging the difference between a passenger and cargo involves more than weight calculations, so I'd be happy to have one in when they're advanced enough to tell that I'm storing a large box on the seat and not a person. This has prompted me to do some research into when I get back into work tomorrow, though...


I betcha it's the seat back that has the sensor.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

User avatar
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...
Posts: 6440
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Beyond the goblin city
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby Moo » Wed May 20, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:That said, I don't think it should be illegal to disable any particular safety features, at least ones that only pertain to driver safety and not that of external parties. If you're stupid enough to do so, though, your insurance shouldn't pay you a damn cent when you get into a crash.
Until the first news story where a wife or kid brother borrowed that car and killed themselves or someone else; or someone thought they're a better driver than they are, disabled safety features, and caused an accident that killed someone else.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

User avatar
hack124x768
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:18 am UTC
Location: everett
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby hack124x768 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:33 pm UTC

Moo wrote:
Hawknc wrote:That said, I don't think it should be illegal to disable any particular safety features, at least ones that only pertain to driver safety and not that of external parties. If you're stupid enough to do so, though, your insurance shouldn't pay you a damn cent when you get into a crash.
Until the first news story where a wife or kid brother borrowed that car and killed themselves or someone else?


Sucks for them. Are you supposed to EXPECT that a car think and act for you now?
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

User avatar
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...
Posts: 6440
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Beyond the goblin city
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby Moo » Wed May 20, 2009 2:37 pm UTC

When those are standard safety features and people expect them to be there and are used to driving with them there and you've basically the equivalent of sabotaged a car? I really have to answer that?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

User avatar
hack124x768
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:18 am UTC
Location: everett
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby hack124x768 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:47 pm UTC

Moo wrote:When those are standard safety features and people expect them to be there and are used to driving with them there and you've basically the equivalent of sabotaged a car? I really have to answer that?

All cars are different, and you should never just jump in and expect to be familiarized instantly. I mean, what do you want? Standardized brake pedal travel? A limit on turning radius? Come on...

Besides, where do they tell you it's OK to panic and mash the brake pedal? Nowhere. Even the ABS makers won't, because they can't back it up.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

User avatar
Velict
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:07 pm UTC
Location: Icecrown Citadel

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby Velict » Wed May 20, 2009 2:51 pm UTC

hack124x768 wrote:
Moo wrote:When those are standard safety features and people expect them to be there and are used to driving with them there and you've basically the equivalent of sabotaged a car? I really have to answer that?

All cars are different, and you should never just jump in and expect to be familiarized instantly. I mean, what do you want? Standardized brake pedal travel? A limit on turning radius? Come on...

Besides, where do they tell you it's OK to panic and mash the brake pedal? Nowhere. Even the ABS makers won't, because they can't back it up.


You're kind of committing a reductio ad absurdium here. We're talking about safety features, not limiting turning radii.

User avatar
hack124x768
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:18 am UTC
Location: everett
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby hack124x768 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:58 pm UTC

They are just bolt-ons that change the way a car feels. What's the big difference? The word safety?

Safety is a personal responsibility. It's not my fault if you can't handle my gear.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

SDIX
is afraid of bananas
Posts: 682
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby SDIX » Wed May 20, 2009 3:26 pm UTC

best practice would be to buckle in your cargo. Wouldn't want your laptop to smash into your skull when you had a wreck(more specifically a side impact or roll-over)

User avatar
Quadropus
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby Quadropus » Wed May 20, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

Why don't you just click the seatbelt in over nothing? Surely leaving it like that isn't too much trouble. I am sure a passenger you have may be able to go out of their way and press that incredibly hard button to release it.

Also, is there really any need to whine about it that much?
Image

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

User avatar
mrbaggins
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:23 am UTC
Location: Wagga, Australia

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby mrbaggins » Wed May 20, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

hack124x768 wrote:Back to our argument, I think the problem is I am saying that _I_ Do Not Like all that crap, and _I_ should be able to disable them if I so choose. You are saying that to the masses they are beneficial, which may be, but I'm not talking about everyone, I'm talking about me. Joe Shmow may be better off with them, so whatever works for him, but keep em away from me. I didn't say they shouldn't be there in the first place, only that I should be able to remove them.

You keep missing my point that when YOU turn it off, you affect EVERYONE. Through higher insurance costs, through the inherent increased risk of you crashing, both on your own and into me, increased hospital times, etc. Sure it's marginal. It adds up.

To take it all the way, "I'm going to drink and drive, because I know my limit is higher than the average person's, and I know I handle alcohol better". This is pretty much equivalent to your argument, that because you don't agree with the way the safety is in place for other peoples benefit, you should be able to remove/disregard it.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

User avatar
J Spade
Luppoewagan
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:56 pm UTC
Location: Up a creek without a paddle
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby J Spade » Wed May 20, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

Sorry if this has been said:

Just buckle the seatbelt anyway. Your groceries will be just fine in front of it, since it should sit up against the seat anyway.

User avatar
hack124x768
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:18 am UTC
Location: everett
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby hack124x768 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:47 am UTC

mrbaggins wrote:You keep missing my point that when YOU turn it off, you affect EVERYONE. Through higher insurance costs, through the inherent increased risk of you crashing, both on your own and into me, increased hospital times, etc. Sure it's marginal. It adds up.

To take it all the way, "I'm going to drink and drive, because I know my limit is higher than the average person's, and I know I handle alcohol better". This is pretty much equivalent to your argument, that because you don't agree with the way the safety is in place for other peoples benefit, you should be able to remove/disregard it.


I trust myself more than I trust the safety systems. There is reason most recalls are about computer related things. My jeep has at least 3 on the ABS system, and honestly, I have yet to see a car that does not have an ABS recall from the factory. Not doing a whole lot for my faith in car computers...

No, drinking and driving is completely different. Nobody says "I am more comfortable driving with the help of alcohol". That's retarded. Nobody drives better drunk, but some people DO drive better with dumb cars that let them do the driving.

Do you think a judge would actually listen to an argument that somebody would not have crashed if he had ABS/TCS/WTF enabled? No, he would tell them to slow down, pay attention to the road, pay their ticket, and get out of his courtroom.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

User avatar
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers
Posts: 3892
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Aust
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu May 21, 2009 5:47 am UTC

hack124x768 wrote:I trust myself more than I trust the safety systems.
And when you start applying that logic to the whole population, just what percentage exactly do you think are over estimating themselves?

I'd far and away prefer that you - in your self claimed skill - deal with a few added safety features, than worry that I'm the only person on the road who has them turned on.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

User avatar
hack124x768
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:18 am UTC
Location: everett
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby hack124x768 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:55 am UTC

Then make sure yours are turned on (part of what a mechanic will check if you ask him when buying a used car), and I'll make sure mine are turned off.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

User avatar
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers
Posts: 3892
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Aust
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu May 21, 2009 6:15 am UTC

*facepalm*

If you have the ability to turn yours off, what's stopping Joe Blow from Cocomo turning his off as well? My point is that just because you think you're fit to judge your ability level, doesn't actually mean you are.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

User avatar
hack124x768
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:18 am UTC
Location: everett
Contact:

Re: Underseat seatbelt scales

Postby hack124x768 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:27 am UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:*facepalm*

If you have the ability to turn yours off, what's stopping Joe Blow from Cocomo turning his off as well? My point is that just because you think you're fit to judge your ability level, doesn't actually mean you are.

/angell


The law is stopping joe from disabling them in a lot of places, and the fact it can be a bit complicated. Most just have a plug to disconnect them, and then a wire to jump to make the computer ignore it, but that's hard for some people, so meh.

Ability level has nothing to do with it. It's just like driving a stick or automatic. It just depends on how close to the road you want to be. Quit thinking I'm elitist for having a preference.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests