Best job you've ever had

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Spoffin

Best job you've ever had

Postby Spoffin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:10 pm UTC

Was sure there was a thread about this before, but I couldn't find it.

What's the best job, temporary/permanent, part time or full time, that you've ever had? The one with the highest money/misery ratio.

I am kinda looking for ideas :P. But I wanna hear awesome stories about jobs I can't get as well.
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Best job you've ever had

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:20 pm UTC

The best job I've ever had is my current one because it's pretty much the ONLY job I've ever had (aside from summer work which was rubbish). I design missiles. :mrgreen:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

cryforhelp

Postby cryforhelp » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:48 pm UTC

My current job is pretty good. I get paid decent money to sit in a lab and rip thousands of dvd's and cd-r's onto harddisks. I can come in when I want, breaks are paid and between loading new disks I get a couple of minutes of time I can spend any way I want (studying, reading, nothing at all, watching movies). Only downside is the lack of net connection.

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

cryforhelp wrote:Only downside is the lack of net connection.
Therefore it cannot be a good job.

My current job is pretty damn cool. I run FEA analysis, but since this is a long automated process I click Run and the computer does its own thing for 2 hours. Then I'm free to browse the net all day long.
Plus this is a university placement year, so I have the knowledge that I can take all this money I'm earning for doing nothing, and I'll have it for when I go back for my final year of university.
Plus Plus tomorrow we start interviewing the university year below me to find my replacement :)

edit: spleling
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

Chocolate factory worker. Yup. Pay was meagre and I gained 10kgs in those three months but boy they were a delicious three months. Worked on the Turkish Delight line, mainly, but also plain and milk chocolate, crystalized ginger and candied fruits. No, they don't mind you eating it, most people get sick of it so quick it doesn't matter. Most, I said...
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:48 pm UTC

It may sound strange, but... gas station attendant. The Hasty Market, graveyards, 9pm - 5am. The pay wasn't GREAT, but as a pay/misery ratio, it was pretty much x/0 (right up until the girl on the shift after me started stealing from my drop bag and got me fired). That was the happiest I've ever been while getting paid for it.

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

in hindsight... the best job I have had so far was working at the movie store! It was a combination of the people I worked with, the hours I liked to work, and that I could watch movies whenever I wanted. I only lasted there 5 months though, but I have been seriously tempted to go back... only now their hours and people are different. I doubt it would be as nice.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:28 am UTC

Setting up the university's virtual reality lab. Lousy pay, but look at it this way: I was being paid to play with some really cool (and really expensive) toys.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:43 am UTC

I have problems with enjoying difficulty. Therefore, of what I've done to date, my favourite is my current job. (My current job is IT Project Coordinator for this sprawly-ass project hundreds of people are using on a daily basis.)

I think I get more satisfaction out of having people think well of me and having something challenging to work on than I do out of having a low stress job, and I'm fairly terrible at trying to slack off. Also, if I'm not learning as part of the job, eventually I get really dissatisfied. My last job I started actively doing other peoples' work in an attempt to continue to learn new things. I uh. Have problems. Anyhow - no longer an issue! Holy crap, are my hands full. :P
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:54 am UTC

The happiest I've ever been in a job, which is different from the best, but certainly a metric of its own, was when I spent a summer working at Jamba Juice. The music sucked (Lots of U2 and pop rock), the customers sucked (meat heads asking for extra protein in their protein berry pizazz [femme boost for you!], earth children asking about the organic-ness of the yogurt [dude, all the info is in that book over there, there's a 15 person line, order the fucking smoothie like you did yesterday, shit hasn't changed], and yuppies counting change and claiming they gave me a 50...), and the pay sucked (My manager said "I can't give you a raise, but I can give you all the free smoothies you can drink", which was all I needed to hear), but I completely lucked out with my coworkers; each was a unique caricature of weirdness, and the dog days were full of frantic, drunken biking, slow wafting high quality aromatic marijuana, interpersonal drama, and lots and lots of free, cold, delicious smoothies. It was an awesome summer.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

steewi

Postby steewi » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:29 am UTC

My favourite job ever was working in the public library as a shelver. I knew the books back to front, and could shelve faster than the librarians and anyone else who worked there. I was never short of anything to read. Unfortunately, though, they never had enough work for me to do it anything more than as money on the side. It was a sweet job though. I'd have kept the job if I didn't quit to do my phd.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:47 am UTC

Sandry wrote:I think I get more satisfaction out of having people think well of me and having something challenging to work on than I do out of having a low stress job, and I'm fairly terrible at trying to slack off. Also, if I'm not learning as part of the job, eventually I get really dissatisfied. My last job I started actively doing other peoples' work in an attempt to continue to learn new things. I uh. Have problems. Anyhow - no longer an issue! Holy crap, are my hands full. :P

Don't get me wrong, if my current job had those things, and less stupid people, I'd probably love my job all to hell. My job might actually BECOME how you describe, because very shortly an architect with 40 years experience in the city is moving up to my town, and my half of the company is basically splitting off to become a completely separate architectural firm under this guy. ALL my bosses will be replaced with him, and he's awesome.

Until then... gas station wins.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:31 am UTC

Still photographer on a movie set.

Cons: The crew from L.A. fit most of the stereotypes, I was working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, the food was not-that-amazing for the most part.

Pros: We got to go to different locations most days, including several days of hiking on Mt. Shasta. I got paid decently, considering that it was a small, independent film, and the crew wasn't union. I now have my own entry on IMDB. I was doing creative work, and I had little to no direction. I had a fling with one of the actors, which was fun while it lasted.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

CVSoul

Postby CVSoul » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:13 am UTC

My dad got me a summer job when I was in high school working for his company.
I got to pick and report my own hours, and it payed $10/hr (pretty good for 11th grade) without having to pay taxes at all. I could commute to the office in central Downtown whenever I wanted, and sat in a nice, cozy, air-conditioned office at a big U-shaped desk with two computers and a few satellite antennas wired in from the window for testing the units I was provisioning (the company makes GPS software, and I had to load the scripts onto the modems).

They gave me the side room, designed to hold several dozen cubicles, to myself, as it was unused. I had about a quarter of the floor to myself. Massive corner "office" with my desk in the middle of it, providing a panoramic view of downtown. And big enough to play frisbee and race office chairs in, which I did.

They also gave me free catered lunch and paid for my bus pass.

It was so good I was literally diagnosed as delusional after accurately describing it to a psych doctor.

Everyone in the company loved me, and I actually had a couple conversations with the C.E.O. -- granted, it was a small company, but the honor was still pretty huge. The higher-ups would introduce me to new customers when giving tours of the offices.
kellsbells wrote:My other car is a plain, unmarked white van.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:47 am UTC

I've just been hired by the parents of an old high school friend. They run an ice cream shop and make their own ice cream flavours. I have extremely high hopes, including but not limited to daydreams relating to free ice cream, permission to sing in the mixing areas, and the fact that the parents are both lovely human beings, and the dad has been involved in at least one food fight in my presence before.

(Edited for ambiguous grammar usage.)
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

the tree

Postby the tree » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:57 am UTC

Only proper job I've had was watching television. Specifically quality testing on set top boxes.

I was talking to someone behind the bar of a coffee shop yesterday - he said that he had the best job in the world "I spend all day drinking tea and telling people to fuck off".

EnderSword

Postby EnderSword » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:55 pm UTC

Worked at a Lazer Tag place, had a button I could push to kill everyone in a 5, 10 and 50 meter range if the kids got out of line.

Reminded me of Battle School...
WWSD?*
*what would Sheldon do?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

I really like the tradition of showing off the young and vaguely nepotistically employed in offices. "This here is the head of developments neighbors kid, he's troubleshooting all our software and cleaning up this warehouse of computers for resale. Hey Jimmy, wanna grab lunch, it's on me?"

It of course can go wrong, with favoritism and yaddayadda, but it's demonstrating a very human side of the business world. I went to my dads office one summer day and there were 4-5 grade school kids running around delivering messages and stuff. I thought it was neat, and they seemed to be really into it.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:28 am UTC

I worked as an ed. tech. a couple summers ago in a class with kids with severe handicaps/disabilities. It was very fulfilling work, but was unfortunately only 20 hours a week, so for the past two years I've worked as a summer camp counselor.
Hi you.
she/her

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:31 am UTC

The job I have now is pretty good, albeit the long drive (about 70 miles one-way). I work in the land acquisition department, where we meet with property owners of various counties or cities in the state of Georgia, and tell them the county or city they live in needs to acquire a portion of their property in order to improve an existing roadway. Most of the time the property owners tell us where we can stick the road, but they end up signing anyway, usually after coming up with some bullshit stipulations about not harming a tree, or replacing a fence, or some other whiny-ass thing. They'll also whine and cry about not being paid enough, and they'll come up with some lame ass-excuse for why they think they can has moar moneez. More often than not we give it to them.

I prepare the documents our negotiation agents present to the property owners, as well as the entire negotiation file. Each file consists of the documents the property owner must sign, an appraisal report detailing how the property (or portion thereof) was valued at what we're offering, and a few sheets the agent can use to record the status of the negotiation process with the property owner.

When the property owners do settle, the agents bring the files to me, and then I prepare them to be turned in to our paralegal department, who then prepares the file to be submitted to the county or city for a check.

I also have to keep up with a status report that tracks how far along a parcel on a project is into the negotiation process. I receive, or at least am supposed to receive, weekly updates from the agents and the paralegal department assistant, primarily when 10-day letters are sent out (warning owners that they need to make a decision soon, or we will begin the condemnation process), and reports from the county when they've received files from us for closing or condemnation. Most of the time I have to get onto the agents and the paralegal staff to get these updates in to me. They all act like I'm asking them for their social security numbers and credit card numbers, especially when I need first contact dates.

If a parcel has to be condemned, the paralegal assistant prepares the file, since the paralegal who handles condemnations has a very peculiar way of doing things, and the assistant has been around her longer than I have, and knows exactly how she wants it. I tried preparing files for condemnation, but always ended up having to redo something, so I told the assistant she should handle condemns from now on. She agreed.

The great thing about the job is that when I first started seven years ago, things were in such shitty disarray it's unimaginable. Within a few short months, I managed to whip everything into shape. Over the first four years I twerked the process for preparing the negotiation documents, preparing files for closing/condemnation, and other things. I was pretty much given free reign over the technical side of my job. I even devised a fool-proof filing system, and it was so good to a point that I knew exactly where each file was.

When I transferred to the satellite office close to home, I thought I had left the entire system in good hands. Over the next two years things got way out of hand. The packages were being prepared by other people who weren't properly trained. The files were managed by one person, and then another when the first person transferred to another department. When our contract with the county the satellite office ended, I came back to the main office, back to my department, and found it looking worse than New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Since I was helping out the girl who replaced me, I really had no say in how things were to be done. In January of this year, she transferred to the paralegal department (as the assistant paralegal), and I was bumped up to my old position. That's when I took the reins, and whipped the department back into shape, little by little. We now have a foolproof filing system again. We have a system for turning in files for closing or condemnation. Everything is falling back into place.
PRG

An important message for you:

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:23 am UTC

I'm not sure if this counts, but my dad's boss once paid me $100 to create a Power Point for one of their trade shows. I was maybe about 10 at the time and it probably took me two hours max. I'd say $50 an hour is pretty good for a 10-year-old.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://www.yessy.com/ladycarmen

Daywraith

Postby Daywraith » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:44 am UTC

I was lucky enough to get my dream job straight out of Uni.

I run the I.T. systems for a small research department. The jobs is challenging with just the right mix of freedom and responsibility. I end up getting involved with tons of interesting research projects rather than being forced to focus on just one. Sadly I should probably be looking to move jobs (I just can't think of any ware I would rather work).

Cashew

Postby Cashew » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:55 am UTC

Gah, I'll tell ya truthfully... It was when I was working as a line cook in a private club in the financial district. I made shit for money, worked entirely too many hours and loved every minute of it.

I was denied a promotion by a very misogynistic house manager after I had already quit my other job (I was promised the job by the exec chef previously, they ended up filling the position by a un-visa'd visitor of the country). I did something I never did before and blew my stack-- I picked up my stuff, left the kitchen, took a shower in the locker room and left.

While it was good it was the best. When it got bad, it was horrible.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:21 pm UTC

Bookshop. Worked there for a year and a half at weekends and occasional weekdays. I loved it. 33% discount, occasional free books, and wonderful co-workers. All intelligent, diverse and cool. I loved being able to recommend books with some authority, and I loved it when it was ridiculously busy and I was actually challenged to show off how good I was - and I was good. I used to serve three customers at once - I'd be doing a book search for one, running purchases through the till for another and directing another to the correct place. Those days used to fly by. I loved it. I still miss working in shops and despite doing a PhD I still wonder if I should go back into it.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:28 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:Bookshop. Worked there for a year and a half at weekends and occasional weekdays. I loved it. 33% discount, occasional free books, and wonderful co-workers. All intelligent, diverse and cool. I loved being able to recommend books with some authority, and I loved it when it was ridiculously busy and I was actually challenged to show off how good I was - and I was good. I used to serve three customers at once - I'd be doing a book search for one, running purchases through the till for another and directing another to the correct place. Those days used to fly by. I loved it. I still miss working in shops and despite doing a PhD I still wonder if I should go back into it.

So much jealousy here. If I could get this job - that is, if every small bookshop in my area did not have prospective employees constantly lined up around the block - that would be heavenly.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Textual Hedonist Gone Amok

Postby Textual Hedonist Gone Amok » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:02 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:Bookshop. Worked there for a year and a half at weekends and occasional weekdays. I loved it. 33% discount, occasional free books, and wonderful co-workers. All intelligent, diverse and cool. I loved being able to recommend books with some authority, and I loved it when it was ridiculously busy and I was actually challenged to show off how good I was - and I was good. I used to serve three customers at once - I'd be doing a book search for one, running purchases through the till for another and directing another to the correct place. Those days used to fly by. I loved it. I still miss working in shops and despite doing a PhD I still wonder if I should go back into it.

Oh my, I would be so bloody blissful.

Then again, I've found my niche in my current job. I get paid by the US Navy to get an education in operating Nuclear reactors aboard submarines. Of course,12-17 hour days at times with piles of coursework can get tiring, but eh, there's nothing like it. Sure beats retail sales of autoparts ad the odd track job.
"Velocirators?," inquired The Philosoraptor. "More like VELAWESOMERAPTOS!"

Banned here. Reborn better, stronger, faster. And yes, that's what she said.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:00 am UTC

Go for it! Seriously!!

I'm pretty pleased with the thing I have going on right now, then again, I'm self-employed, so I'd have to be :) The thing I appreciate most is the fact I'm in control and can set my own course. I hardly consider it a job anymore actually, more a hobby that I get paid for. I think it's safe to say I found my place in life. Ideally, and this is very much wishful thinking, I'd like to have an actual office with an attached map store.
Quack!

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:34 pm UTC

EvilDuckie wrote:I'm pretty pleased with the thing I have going on right now, then again, I'm self-employed, so I'd have to be :) The thing I appreciate most is the fact I'm in control and can set my own course. I hardly consider it a job anymore actually, more a hobby that I get paid for. I think it's safe to say I found my place in life. Ideally, and this is very much wishful thinking, I'd like to have an actual office with an attached map store.

so...what do you do?
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

Hmm...I love working in the lab. I don't think I've ever had a job I didn't like, just perhaps cranky bosses or something but every job has those. My first job (age 14 - 17) was working as a cookie decorator/bouquet assembler at Cookies by Design. That was a great job. Then it was a biotech company where I did graphic design work and also developed a ton of assays and techniques. Now I'm a grad student. When I'm not stuck in classes, being a grad student is pretty cool. The comic PhD describes the life quite well :P.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

i am an employee of my town's public works department and i love my job. i get to drive around in dump trucks and heavy equipment all day and do dirty jobs. i love not being stuck in an office and when the weather is nice it just makes me insanely happy. i make enough money to support myself and my hobbies which also makes me happy. also, i get to plow snow which is super fun.

the cons of my job: most of my co-workers aren't college educated and were raised in lower-class families, so i find that some of them are often disrespectful of minorities and women. they're all smart in their own way though and very skilled at what they do. also, plowing snow is long hours.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:51 am UTC

sethicus wrote:
EvilDuckie wrote:I'm pretty pleased with the thing I have going on right now, then again, I'm self-employed, so I'd have to be :) The thing I appreciate most is the fact I'm in control and can set my own course. I hardly consider it a job anymore actually, more a hobby that I get paid for. I think it's safe to say I found my place in life. Ideally, and this is very much wishful thinking, I'd like to have an actual office with an attached map store.

so...what do you do?

I make maps and do other GIS/geo/spatial related stuff. It's something I've been interested in from a fairly young age and I'm very happy I managed to make it into a career of some sorts.
Quack!

Return to “General”