Twitter Trend

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

CaptainFnogg

Twitter Trend

Postby CaptainFnogg » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:54 am UTC

Long time reader, first time poster.

Forgive me if this is considered spamming, or if it starts a religious flamewar, but I am assuming the readers here are reasonable and may accept this proposal.

I am an Atheist, and very anti-religious. (I mean, I'm not going to KILL you for believing otherwise, but I think people should be educated.)
I may be wrong, but I'm guessing many readers here are as well.
I have noticed the tag #dontyouloveGOD trending heavily on Twitter, and I would like to propose a new trend.
#dontyouloveSCIENCE
For me it would be a shining beacon of hope for humanity if we could get this to trend, so please tweet away.
And let me know what you think of this idea (without getting into a big religious debate if you can avoid it)

Durandal

Re: Twitter Trend

Postby Durandal » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:05 am UTC

Don't try and pit religion and science against each other. It isn't as if people who believe in god are uneducated fuckwits unable to understand facts. Also, not all scientists are atheists.

Perhaps someday you will grow up and realize that religion shouldn't be judged from the front page of digg.com.

EVERYONE

SHOULD JUST CHILL THE FUCK OUT

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:21 am UTC

I'm an atheist, here's my idea:

Don't use Twitter.
... It's a silly concept, and totally useless.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:30 am UTC

Religion doesn't inherently contradict science. Some religions too. Some religious beliefs do. But if you are talking about God, you can't disprove him with science. It's not as though people who believe in simply God are denying the scientific method. If they believe in flat-earth creationism, however, that's a different story.
Also, "atheism" shouldn't be capitalized.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

bombast

Postby bombast » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:14 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:Don't use Twitter.

This.

Simbera

Postby Simbera » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:37 am UTC

You can get anything to trend on Twitter if there are enough people who agree with you - it's not like doing a post about your topic is replacing anything interesting, for the majority of users. And let's face it - the internet is not exactly devoid of atheists (nor of religious scientists, who may also do a #dontyouloveSCIENCE right after their #dontyouloveGOD) so explain why exactly having this topic trend would be a shining beacon of hope for humanity?

Don't get me wrong, I'm an atheist who believes in educating the uneducated too, but I just don't think that 'trending Twitter topic' ranks up there with 'legalization of stem cell research' or 'acknowledgement of gay marriage'.

Plus, you'll pretty much be preaching to the choir, as the only ones who will bother looking at it or taking any of it on board are going to be scientifically-minded people anyway.

<^>
“From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch

Save Point

Postby Save Point » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:40 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:I'm an atheist, here's my idea:

Don't use Twitter.

Sarcasm?

Bluggo

Postby Bluggo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:08 am UTC

I don't believe in Twitter.
Mary Ellen Rudin wrote:Let X be a set. Call it Y.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:12 am UTC

Bluggo wrote:I don't believe in Twitter.

Only brain-washed morons believe in Twitter. Or people who need a crutch or something. I believe in the truth instead.
Twitter is Santa Claus for social-networking adults.
Last edited by sje46 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

guyy

Postby guyy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:12 am UTC

Don't use Twitter.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with this. (Inane IMs to the entire world with an arbitrary length restriction? What?)

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:24 am UTC

I'm not religious nor atheist, and implying that religious people are uneducated is fucked up. That's just as bad as saying non-religious people are uneducated.

Go start your own stupid Twitter trend. Not like any of them will matter in a week.
...It made more sense in my head.

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:16 pm UTC

guyy wrote:with an arbitrary length restriction

the "arbitrary length restriction" is necessary so that a single "tweet" will fit in a single text message. The original platform of twitter was the cell phone, not the web browser. And it's not Twitter that is imposing these silly restrictions on us, it's the carriers. Twitter simply works within the system it's been given.
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:19 am UTC

Twitter Support wrote:Why 140 characters?
We like to keep it short and sweet! It also just so happens that 140 characters is the perfect length for sending status updates via text message. The standard text message length in most places is 160 characters per message. We reserve 20 characters for people's names, and the other 140 are all yours!

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:41 am UTC

Oh, religious people are uneducated, or at least, unwilling to accept harsh reality, just like atheists, and people that have moral, and nigh all people really.

Humans need to live in a delusion to maintain themselves, if they don't, they become extremely depressed. Humans are deluded narcissist creatures that amongst others seem to think that:

- For some strange reason that their 'moral' holds any merit though they cannot proof it and that some how they are 'righteous' when they lock people up for their failure to conform to it and that the other 'deserved' it, even though it's quite easy to see that all the morals people have essentially have because they were brainwashed as children into it. Still, even the people that can accept this cannot let go of their ideas that it's some how 'wrong' to kill for instance, and what 'wrong' is they cannot even define.
- For some reason, the majority of people feels quite certain of the image they have of other people over the internet, even if other posters disagree they remain in the fullest confidence that their gut feeling about who's a troll and who's just seeking attention is absolutely correct, even though they never did rigorous scientific testing to confirm it.
- If they're in love, they delude themselves the other party has all sorts of magnificent qualities, when they realize that is not true they come to hate their exes, scary eh, that the ex you hate essentially always was such a bitch? You just didn't realize it because you loved a person you never really knew and your mind filled in the blanks as it wanted to.
- Many people believe the earth is round. How on earth could they know this? Those space pictures could be of any thing really? And standing on a mountain to see ships disappear under the horizon just means it goes down locally, it could go up again at a further point? Really, the earth could be flat, a triangle a cube, a 600-cell, an infinite plane, who knows? Believing it's round is a big argument to authority, hardly scientific.
- Indeed, many people say with supreme confidence that none of a type of being which by requirement is omnipotent, thus able to make itself invisible exists? 'I cannot see it, thus it is not there?', argument to ignorance and naïve realism to the max? All in all, if I were a creator and had created this vast universe with a plan behind it, I wouldn't be too interested in revealing myself to some monkeys on that one little insignificant tiny rock that to them is their entire world and tell them my grand plan, they'd be as insignificant to me as any matter. But then again, it's human deluded narcissism to think that a creator has a special interest in them, or even creates them in their own image. Oh, and lol at terracentric models. If there is a creator, we probably don't know any thing of it in any earthen scripture.
- Also, some people deludedly believe in Richard Dawkins, clearly they have never seen him and surely there is no reason this Richard Dawkins would exist by the laws of physics? And the chances of a Richard Dawkins existing are astronomically small. Sure, some people say they have met him but people say more things like that they've seen Jesus, clearly people who believe Richard Dawkins exists are quite delusional, they should be institutionalized.
- And oh yes, people that believe psychiatry actually works are deluded as well, essentially psychotropic drugs are like acupuncture, there is slightly significant result in that they work (proven double blind), but no one really understands why they work.

Essentially, all people except nihilists are deluded and uneducated and ignorant, in the end, any conclusion is having too much confidence in your own ability to discern fact. We're only human. A) We have limited senses. B) We're evolved to blind ourselves from the truth and believe what we want to be true so we don't see the world for what it really is and wage war on each other in the belief that our 'own party' is some-how more 'right' in the conflict. C) We're not as smart as we claim to be. We just have the concept of a very refined language to communicate, we tell our children what we've learnt and thus they can build further on it, a human is not significantly smarter than a chimp or a dophin, but they both lack a way of communicating their ideas and the latter even opposable thumbs to make some thing of it. Also, octopodes (so goes against fowler) are quite smart.

Sleep nice.
^ :/

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:57 am UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:The funniest shit ever

I hope it's okay to laugh; I can't stop...!

Other than that, I agree with the first few posters. Negatively-charged atheists piss me off just as much as Twitter! :)

(Also, you forgot the -Summer Glau)
Last edited by Walter.Horvath on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:59 am UTC

Don't use Twitter.
A while ago, I realized what the point of Twitter is.

And then I forgot.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Save Point

Postby Save Point » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:03 am UTC

Well, with regard to Twitter in general, I love it. I was really skeptical at first, mostly because I was never much of a texter to begin with, but then I bought a much better phone and warmed up to it. But that's not really why I've come to really like it. The whole #IranElection thing has been incredibly interesting to follow*, and I'm finding the way in which social networks (not just Twitter, but also Facebook, Flickr, etc) have been utilized to pick up where traditional journalism was hamstringed for a while to be very fascinating.

*Although I should say it puts an entirely new face to the news. "140 characters is a novel when you're being shot at," and all.

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:07 am UTC

Walter.Horvath wrote:
Gaydar2000SE wrote:The funniest shit ever

I hope it's okay to laugh; I can't stop...!
Depends on if you're laughing at me, since I just wrote that I'm obviously very emo in another topic I shall have to assume this to remain consistent.

Any way, I stole it:
Spoiler:

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:48 am UTC

Heh... Assuming from the nature of your otter posts and the lack of scientific backing for such outlandish claims...

You know what would make Twitter so much better? A sarcasm-sensing bot. Man can dream...

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:54 am UTC

Twitter could use a name that associates less to a genetically altered canary bird that is grafted unto some crude metal thing and welded to your porch to function as a doorbell slash awesome way to scare the shit out of people that ring.

Yeah, that would make it so much better, I'm sure all people made that association once in their lives.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:05 am UTC

The problem I actually have with Twitter is structured like this:

1. I already know all my friends via Facebook.
2. Facebook already has an obnoxious and crippled status update system
3. I don't know if my cell plan supports texting. It might cost money, it might not
4. I hate cell phones.

To which end, status quo dictates that I conserve effort by only using Facebook.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:10 pm UTC

1. Twitter is not just about people you already know. Additionally, you don't generally need permission to follow someone on Twitter, as you would to friend someone on Facebook.
2. Twitter doesn't have all that extraneous crap I mean, applications, it does just one thing.
3. You don't need a cell phone to use Twitter.
4. You don't need a cell phone to use Twitter.

I believe that if you "don't get" Twitter, then you're not following the right people. There are hundreds of different entities to follow, ranging from news, current affairs, technology providers, comedians, jokes, parodies, causes (and these range from saving the environment to saving your favourite TV show), celebrities; or you can just use the search function to see what people think about something. People who are still stuck in the "on the shitter, taking a shit" stereotype are downright unimaginative, and should actually give it a genuine go before writing it off as stupid.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:14 pm UTC

I'm already "following" a number of things I like through RSS feeds.
There's simply no really good reason for me to be active on Twitter.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:Essentially, all people except nihilists are deluded and uneducated and ignorant

I'd take great comfort from the knowledge that you consider me to be knowledgeable if I. knowledge was possible, and II. I actually cared.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:Essentially, all people except elitist pricks like me are deluded and uneducated and ignorant

How I read it.
Gaydar, I just woke up, man. I woke up and discovered your posts. I think God wants me to have a terrible day.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:00 pm UTC

your summary is correct man, and gaydar is still right. everyone sucks except for smart elitist pricks. they (we?) know this.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Bluggo

Postby Bluggo » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

I may be wrong, but I believe that Gaydar's post was an exercise in sarcasm - he was poking fun at CaptainFnogg's "I will not KILL you for being religious, but I think people should be educated".

I mean, come on, how could Gaydar, who clearly reads xkcd, have written stuff like
Gaydar2000SE wrote:- Many people believe the earth is round. How on earth could they know this? Those space pictures could be of any thing really? And standing on a mountain to see ships disappear under the horizon just means it goes down locally, it could go up again at a further point? Really, the earth could be flat, a triangle a cube, a 600-cell, an infinite plane, who knows? Believing it's round is a big argument to authority, hardly scientific.
with a straight face?
Mary Ellen Rudin wrote:Let X be a set. Call it Y.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:35 pm UTC

yes it was hilarious and obviously sje has no idea what he is talking about.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:00 pm UTC

Bluggo wrote:I may be wrong, but I believe that Gaydar's post was an exercise in sarcasm - he was poking fun at CaptainFnogg's "I will not KILL you for being religious, but I think people should be educated".

I mean, come on, how could Gaydar, who clearly reads xkcd, have written stuff like
Gaydar2000SE wrote:- Many people believe the earth is round. How on earth could they know this? Those space pictures could be of any thing really? And standing on a mountain to see ships disappear under the horizon just means it goes down locally, it could go up again at a further point? Really, the earth could be flat, a triangle a cube, a 600-cell, an infinite plane, who knows? Believing it's round is a big argument to authority, hardly scientific.
with a straight face?
How you interpret it, to each his own. One could say that taking science completely strictly clearly contradicts any thing common sense and thus better not be done. Or one could say that as taking science strictly implies that all our common sense is false, common sense has no value any more.

I'm inclined towards the latter though, but science and common sense do not go hand in hand, you can't have both.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

Too much hate in this thread. Can't a guy just believe in Twitter privately, in hir own home, without all the bigotry? It's like Jesus tweeted: "do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Also, Follow Friday: @god @moses @judas (just for the stuff he says behind my back)". Can't we live in a world where people are free to practice their communication methods without hatred or intolerance?

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:30 pm UTC

Yeah but.. I would really want myself to be hated if I used Twitter?

That's the point of that argument really, ultimately some one has to decide where you can say 'Yeah, but if you used some site you liked and another didn't you would hate it if they acted like that...'

I mean, it could ultimately be applied to murder. 'Don't hate the one that killed your daughter, because you have a bad taste in TV programmes and no one hates you for that.'

Why the difference between two social networking sites is supposedly 'smaller' than that of murder and a bad taste in colour.. it's some thing you feel, but not some thing you can prove (delusion?) so in the end, if some one says it's the reverse, it's your word against the other and neither is more wrong or right.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:31 pm UTC

But I hate when people come on Facebook telling me to follow them on Twitter, and leaving pamphlets everywhere.

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

But I hate it when family I barely know asks me to come on Facebook, as all my friends are just too intellectual and elite for that.

I really don't get facebook, I am tempted to believe it's essentially a way to increase response time between messages to mask you from the fact that you and you're 'friends' essentially have so little to say to each that real time comminication is not possible.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

Uses of Facebook include:
  • Keeping in touch with friends who are far away, or who you can't see often
  • Sharing photos and other media with many people at once
  • Giving people you meet your email/username to look up instead of a phone number (I find this gets a lot more responses)
  • Meeting others through the network itself
  • Convenient way to exchange long messages, with recorded history
Sure we could do these things before, but it makes them a lot more convenient by unioning them all into one interface.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:22 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Uses of Facebook include:
  • Keeping in touch with friends who are far away, or who you can't see often
  • Sharing photos and other media with many people at once
  • Giving people you meet your email/username to look up instead of a phone number (I find this gets a lot more responses)
  • Meeting others through the network itself
  • Convenient way to exchange long messages, with recorded history
Sure we could do these things before, but it makes them a lot more convenient by unioning them all into one interface.
1: Mail
2: Mail
3: ...
4: Tssque. only people like Donald Knuth are on Facebook
5: MEIRUUU, DESSUUU ~

The long version
Spoiler:
is that actually the majority of people does not 'know' their friends, for sake of argument you can place me under it, it doesn't matter. But take this situation: You have a mate, you've had that mate for several years. Then you meet that person on a forum without knowing it's that person and you end up in a flame with that person.

That's quite a plausible situation in the case of most people, that's because most people do not 'know' any person in their life and essentially just make up an image or even do not do this at all and never come to realize that it's faulty, or do, and when they do it's 'I was so wrong about you!!', that this happens so frequently with romantic interests hints it's even more common there. As I put forth in my first post, people are delusional, the human species collective swarm intelligence is narcissist and overestimates its own capabilities and so do individual humans. They live in a blissful delusion of that all things are a lot better than they are and their friends don't gossip behind their back and their girlfriend doesn't fake orgasms and that their best friend didn't lie when he said he liked their painting. Sure, not all of them are true, but some are. You just have to meet your best mate in a slightly different setting, a slightly different first impression and you fill in the rest at a completely different way. Just because that one poster on a board was an arse there you fill in that that poster must be an arse in all aspects of his life. And if you meet that poster in a bar for the firs time and have a good talk you assume 'Hmm, swell guy.'

True, first impression is extremely important for people, but the fact that it is is because humans are delusional creatures that just fill in entire things of people based on that first impression. And this is the grand success that Facebook capitalizes on in the end.

Facebook wouldn't work if people knew their 'friends'. I like to personally divide people I know quite binary with a slight blurry line. People that I talk to as a means to some end. And people that talk to as an end itself. You are of the former, I talk to you here on that board to establish my elite homo superior qui habet plurem scientiam te-ness. Indeed, I even spoke Latin, surely I just show off? Or perhaps I'm just a regular person here that just made a sarcastic joke and has a good sense of humour? Either you take, or a third, most likely you will fill in erroneous data after that about me. Either make me better than I am, or worse.

And my guess is that's more or less the point of Facebook communication, people do not have friends for the people that those friends are, but to have friends, championed by the behaviour of that if one calls one mate to have fun on new years, that mate can't make it, you just call another? There a means not an end. Which people are your friends is hardly relevant, sure, some might be just too much of an arse because of that first impression, but in the end having some friends is all that matters. And that's what facebook facilitates, to just have some walls to write on without it really being relevant whose wall it is.

Code: Select all

<anon1>   how's it been?
<anon1>   on your front
<anon2>   Date with <anon3>, battling the ignorant on fora, cooking since times and ehhh.. thinking of you... <3
<anon3>   looks like you've a girlfriend
<anon3>   Nahh, I don't do that.
<anon3>   I have faint friends, closer friends, closer et cetera.
<anon3>   It's not even a one dimensional line, every person has their own qualities and shortcomings and are good companions in different moods.

It's a harsh world, and humans are aptly evolved to ignore it all and live in a blissed delusion, like that there friendships are based on some thing else than prima facie.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:Too much hate in this thread. Can't a guy just believe in Twitter privately, in hir own home, without all the bigotry? It's like Jesus tweeted: "do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Also, Follow Friday: @god @moses @judas (just for the stuff he says behind my back)". Can't we live in a world where people are free to practice their communication methods without hatred or intolerance?
@Hawk Amen! <3

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist

guyy

Postby guyy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:34 pm UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:4: Tssque. only people like Donald Knuth are on Facebook

...I hope this is sarcasm. Though if it is, I don't really see the point.

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:38 pm UTC

I meant that Donald Knuth doesn't use mail.

Splendid

Postby Splendid » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:41 pm UTC

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:44 pm UTC

I don't even update my status on MSN Messenger, and it's on 24/7 and because of some badly administered medication I cannot develop a sleeping rhythm that syncs with 24 hours. You just know if I'm there when I reply.

Return to “General”