British heatwave

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

OBrien

British heatwave

Postby OBrien » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:58 am UTC

What the hell? Hasn't it been hot enough this past week already?
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: British heatwave

Postby Angua » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:04 pm UTC

Ah, you British and your heatwaves. (look at location)
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:13 pm UTC

Well we don't get them very often, and whenever we do we're warned to keep an eye on elderly relatives. We're just not in the right frame of mind for warmth here, summers should be grey and dismal, autumns brown and dismal, winters wet and dismal, and springs green and wet.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:18 pm UTC

I should be kept refrigerated, I think. I am not going to cope very well with this week at all. D:

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:18 pm UTC

Yeah, but you do have to realize that your 'massive heat wave' is much cooler than anything resembling a normal day in the southern U.S. :)

todaysweather.PNG
And this isn't even close to a heat wave.
todaysweather.PNG (558.86 KiB) Viewed 3201 times

(Yes, I realize I'm posting this from the one part of the U.S. that's actually unseasonably cool today. Not the point.)
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:22 pm UTC

Yeah, but that's normal for there. British people* don't cope well with anything other than mediocre weather. Plus we're obsessed by it (see: this thread, and the snow thread that got started when we had snow over here).

I'm dying in the office. As I said in the fleeting thoughts thread, anything over 20 degrees centigrade is too damn hot.
*Yay sweeping generalisations!
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

Yeah, and your heatwave atm is about the same as my normal average temperature. We set our AC to 26C.

(Though we do have a tendency to start to freeze at about 24-25, that's when the hoodies come out).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Ocean

Postby Ocean » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:28 pm UTC

Guess we're lucky here in Holland, then. Just hawt temperatures from time to time, but they don't last for days and days. Not this time, at least =D

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

Hopefully in before the majority of epenis temperature comparing and showboating: please keep in mind that things aren't geared up for hot summers here. Homes are filled with wallpaper and carpet and small windows and just don't cool down, even in the evening if there isn't a breeze (which there hasn't been the last two nights). No-one has aircon in their homes. Cars rarely live in garages but out on the street so they're hot as hell when you get in them. The tube doesn't have aircon and temperatures on there exceed conditions under which it's legal to transport cattle in summer. People aren't used to heat and experience it more accutely. It's a big deal to them, ok?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 pm UTC

Moo said it before I could.
We're not usually this hot so
1. This is weird to usss
2. We don't know what to do to make it stop because we're not used to it
3. Our buildings are made to keep us warm because we need them to usually, but now our own buildings are working against us :o

Ixtellor
Ⓞⓞ◯

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:38 pm UTC

Moo, that's why I put in the bit about people in my country freezing at ridiculously high temperatures (compared to ones in the UK).

Besides, I spend a lot of time being told that it's not really that cold in England, so I find it amusing when I can say, it's not really that hot.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:40 pm UTC

True, good point. I forgot that not everyone has to build houses that can support human life in both 93-degree and minus-26-degree temperatures. (But we'll probably get higher than 93...it's very early in the season.)

No sarcasm intended; thanks for reminding me, Moo.

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

Oh my god it is so dam nhot I can only re-say what people have said already.
blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:I'm dying in the office. As I said in the fleeting thoughts thread, anything over 20 degrees centigrade is too damn hot.
Ever so this. Since my boss is South African this heat seems to have no effect on him, while I am dying. I'm also furthest from the window. :(
Moo wrote:The tube doesn't have aircon and temperatures on there exceed conditions under which it's legal to transport cattle in summer.
TubeFTL. Not only that, but the buses here, or as I shall now refer to them SunMagnifyingGlassBoxesOfDoom, are the hottest places on earth.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against hot weather, if I'm on holiday, or I have purposely gone to a place expecting hot weather. But this is England, and I'm just stuck in an office. Heat = Do Not Want.
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

Meh, there was a heat index of 45C at the beaches a few weeks ago. Quiet down :P

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:09 pm UTC

What a constructive, informative and friendly post, which adds to the harmony and pleasant discourse of the forums. Well done.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

Damnit, Moo - you know that the Lavamen of Centari 7 deal with 7000 degree temperatures all the time, so the Ice-people of Hothian can't bitch about their 40 degree heatwave! It only makes sense that you can only complain about weather variations when the variation you're experiencing is the most extreme level that any person has felt ever, regardless of preexisting ability to deal with said weather variations! To complain about variations that are extreme on the local level is just nonsense!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:14 pm UTC

<3 Moo and SexyTalon
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

What can I say, I live in a place that gets goddamn hot and humid (but not as hot as elsewhere) and fucking cold (but not as cold as other elsewheres)... sometimes in the same week.

No, really, come to Kentucky! We have nice weather scheduled for April 15-17th and September 29-October 1st! Bring the kids!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:32 pm UTC

OK, so I'll be going home to London tomorrow (at uni in Birmingham ATM) and I've just realised: I've gotta take the Northern and Central lines to get back to my parents house. Fuuuuuuuuu...
Last edited by OBrien on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:33 pm UTC

Yeah, take a frozen bottle of water.

rnew

Postby rnew » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:Northern and Central lines
HHaahahhaahhaaaaaahhahahaha *breathes*
Oh god.
Honestly I wish you the best of luck.
I pray you're not doing it during peak times aswell?
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:45 pm UTC

rnew wrote:
OBrien wrote:Northern and Central lines
HHaahahhaahhaaaaaahhahahaha *breathes*
Oh god.
Honestly I wish you the best of luck.
I pray you're not doing it during peak times aswell?
This. And not transporting a lot of stuff. Awful, and there will probably be delays due to other people being taken ill. Ugh. I feel for you, man.

So. Twitter

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:01 pm UTC

It's cider in the park time. That is exactly what time it is.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:08 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Damnit, Moo - you know that the Lavamen of Centari 7 deal with 7000 degree temperatures all the time, so the Ice-people of Hothian can't bitch about their 40 degree heatwave! It only makes sense that you can only complain about weather variations when the variation you're experiencing is the most extreme level that any person has felt ever, regardless of preexisting ability to deal with said weather variations! To complain about variations that are extreme on the local level is just nonsense!

Exactly!

Sufffffffer...

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

*facepalm*

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Yeah, take a frozen bottle of water.

But let it melt a bit first. There's nothing worse than being stuck needing a drink and only having a chunk of ice, which is melting but not nearly as fast as you want it to be.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:26 pm UTC

So basically, you Brits can't deal with any sort of sorta-kinda-warm heat, or sorta-kinda-snowy/cold weather.
I have dealt with temps from -25C to 43C that I remember in the past year alone. :P
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:26 pm UTC

Walter.Horvath wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Damnit, Moo - you know that the Lavamen of Centari 7 deal with 7000 degree temperatures all the time, so the Ice-people of Hothian can't bitch about their 40 degree heatwave! It only makes sense that you can only complain about weather variations when the variation you're experiencing is the most extreme level that any person has felt ever, regardless of preexisting ability to deal with said weather variations! To complain about variations that are extreme on the local level is just nonsense!

Exactly!

Sufffffffer...
Note to self: Use "But it's not hurting me. Stop being a baby" line when repeatedly shooting victim.

Sungura wrote:So basically, you Brits can't deal with any sort of sorta-kinda-warm heat, or sorta-kinda-snowy/cold weather.
I have dealt with temps from -25C to 43C that I remember in the past year alone. :P

I think it's more of "We'll bitch about the cold because it keeps us warm, but this heat? Most of us don't own air conditioners!" kinda thing. Akin to someone in Florida who complains of the heat in the summer, yet experiences shock and resumes complaining when it snows a half-foot.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

Yeah, you're stuck with having to bash the bottle against something to break it up, which I can't imagine is easy on a train.

My advice, take two, one frozen, one half frozen. The frozen one will keep the half frozen one cold, and then you can drink hte frozen one when it thaws.

Another trick I find, that one of my English friends found weird, try and concentrate on the coolness of whatever breeze is out there, I find that the British are geared to feeling the heat of the sun because they have so little of it, where as I try and block out that feeling. Might help a bit, especially if you get caught in a sunny part of the train.
GNU Terry Pratchett

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

Walter.Horvath wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Damnit, Moo - you know that the Lavamen of Centari 7 deal with 7000 degree temperatures all the time, so the Ice-people of Hothian can't bitch about their 40 degree heatwave! It only makes sense that you can only complain about weather variations when the variation you're experiencing is the most extreme level that any person has felt ever, regardless of preexisting ability to deal with said weather variations! To complain about variations that are extreme on the local level is just nonsense!

Exactly!

Sufffffffer...

You're probably an Aussie, right?

I better not ever see you complaining when your sunbaked island gets down to nice comfortable autumn temperatures of 5C or so. And if you actually see ice and all your plants die because they're not evolved to deal with persistent frost? Buck up and take it. There are other parts of the world that spend several months at a time with most open expanses of water frozen solid, and they cope just damn fine.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:48 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:So basically, you Brits can't deal with any sort of sorta-kinda-warm heat, or sorta-kinda-snowy/cold weather.
I'm sure your area is used to such temperatures and thus equipped for it though. I have gone to school in 40oC but that doesn't mean it's not less than comfortable to sleep here at the moment, because my bedroom retains ALL its heat, having wallpaper and carpeting and being on a first floor and having no airconditioning.

edit: in SA we didn't have aircon but we have tile floors, big windows, etc. Houses there are much cooler (so even the mild winters actually feel pretty cold. It's all relative, is the point).
Last edited by Moo on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:49 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

I think it's more of "We'll bitch about the cold because it keeps us warm, but this heat? Most of us don't own air conditioners!" kinda thing. Akin to someone in Florida who complains of the heat in the summer, yet experiences shock and resumes complaining when it snows a half-foot.
I don't have air conditioning. Fans, yes. AC, no.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

rnew

Postby rnew » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:51 pm UTC

Spot on.
Bland and British please!
I'd also like to queue for my weather and then be disappointed

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

Temperate Newcastle upon Tyne seems to have bright sunny conditions, but it's mostly cloudy outside. I'm not too fussed by it all. Inside I'm comfortable.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

I don't have air conditioning. Fans, yes. AC, no.
And I have air conditioning yet still am extremely uncomfortable when it's 90 degrees outside even though I'm nowhere near it. I'm not sure what your point is beyond pointing out that humans exposed to different environments build up different tolerances for different temperatures. You can get along fine with fans - great. I'd kill myself. The Brits live in ovens due to their climate - a smart move most of the time given their climate.

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:10 pm UTC

Moo wrote:
I'm sure your area is used to such temperatures and thus equipped for it though.

Not as well equipped as, say, the southern U.S., but yeah. Air-conditioning is pretty common, but by no means in every house, and most houses at least have some sort of considerations for heat.

Of course, that goes both ways too...I'm pretty sure the houses in the South don't all have the heating systems we've evolved to survive -32C nights, but you'd better believe they keep their AC's in pristine condition.

Also, we don't have any of these silly 'trains' that appear to be rolling boxes of heat-death, so we've adapted in that way too. :)

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:13 pm UTC

Armadillo Al wrote:Also, we don't have any of these silly 'trains' that appear to be rolling boxes of heat-death, so we've adapted in that way too. :)
Made me chuckle :)

z4lis

Postby z4lis » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:41 pm UTC

Can't you buy some fans and ice packs? Or go outside? I could certainly see how sitting in a building with no AC would be uncomfortable. Is the UK also humid and murky like Tennessee? If so, I feel for your agony. :P
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:50 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Hopefully in before the majority of epenis temperature comparing and showboating: please keep in mind that things aren't geared up for hot summers here. Homes are filled with wallpaper and carpet and small windows and just don't cool down, even in the evening if there isn't a breeze (which there hasn't been the last two nights). No-one has aircon in their homes. Cars rarely live in garages but out on the street so they're hot as hell when you get in them. The tube doesn't have aircon and temperatures on there exceed conditions under which it's legal to transport cattle in summer. People aren't used to heat and experience it more accutely. It's a big deal to them, ok?

^This. How well your area is prepared and built for the temperature makes about a hundred times more difference than the actual absolute temperature does.

I say this to anyone who will listen to me during the summer, but I've now lived in New Orleans (the hot, damp, swampy south) and Massachusetts (the frozen north), and Massachusetts has been much more uncomfortably hot for me because:

1) In New Orleans, everything had central air, and the houses and buildings were built to turn heat over well and keep their interiors cool
2) In New Orleans, it was mutually understood that when it was ridiculous hot, everyone would stay indoors where it's air conditioned and not fucking do anything, except maybe go swimming when it cooled off for the evening.

And those two things by themselves made up for what was easily a 20 degree difference in temperature highs and a drastic, sweat-drenched difference in humidity.

What I am saying here is: Britain, I feel your pain.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:05 pm UTC

At the moment here, it's 27C and 58% humidity. Tomorrow its gonna be 28C and 80% humidity. I'm going to die tomorrow, stuck in a non AC office, with a wall-o-windows. In office smarts, as we have a meeting. Ugh.

So. Twitter

Return to “General”