Hey! I am going on a trip.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rachel
Witch (?)

Hey! I am going on a trip.

Postby rachel » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:15 am UTC

I'm going to Clemson for the weekend! That is not really exciting for any of you, but I was excited. The reason there is an entire post about it is because I thought I remembered someone here saying they are attending Clemson. Hey, guy at Clemson, I am coming to your school for homecoming.

Teaspoon

Postby Teaspoon » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:40 am UTC

Pfft! Take a real trip. Come to Australia!

We'll get a bunch of socially awkward Australian XKCDers to converge on Sydney to stare at you and make you feel out of place! Or just go drinking with you or something if you'd prefer a more comfortable atmosphere.

VannA
White

Speaking of which..

Postby VannA » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:56 am UTC

I wonder how many Aussies there are around here.

Hmmmmmmmmzzzah.
Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

Teaspoon

Postby Teaspoon » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:39 am UTC

The intros thread has 13 people (including us) claiming to be Australian. Many have stopped posting since.

There are also a bunch of people who gave no location, some of whom MIGHT be Australian.

I also noticed a surprisingly high number of Kiwis as I skimmed through it, too. They may even match us for numbers here. Creepy.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:04 am UTC

That's because while there's less of us altogether, each of us takes on more responsibility to make up for it. You can see it in our youth suicide rates, there's the same actual number as many much larger countries.

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:18 am UTC

Teaspoon wrote:Pfft! Take a real trip. Come to Australia!

We'll get a bunch of socially awkward Australian XKCDers to converge on Sydney to stare at you and make you feel out of place! Or just go drinking with you or something if you'd prefer a more comfortable atmosphere.

How about maybe I will come to Australia next summer? I've always wanted to, and now I sort of have an excuse! (It is probably the worst excuse anyone will ever hear from me, but that's alright. Anything to have a reason to go to Australia.) First we can try the staring and then we can try the drinking. It'll be exciting.

Is there still no guy from Clemson? Did I imagine him? For real, I remember a guy from Clemson and I am not going crazy, right? Look, guy from Clemson, it's cool if maybe you don't ever want to even know I am there, but at least let me know you exist so I am not insane.

VannA
White

Postby VannA » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:21 am UTC

Guy from Clemson was definately in the introduction thread.

Where the hell is Clemson?

And if you come to Australia, I'll organise a party full of mostly-likeable nerds.

If you time it right, and you are here in our winter, then we might be able to organise a really big party. :D
Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:21 am UTC

Come to Australia! You might accidently get killed!
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:21 am UTC

Verysillyman wrote:That's because while there's less of us altogether, each of us takes on more responsibility to make up for it. You can see it in our youth suicide rates, there's the same actual number as many much larger countries.

Well that's an encouraging thought...

So where's Clemson? I'm off to Thailand in a month or so...

Teaspoon

Postby Teaspoon » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:21 am UTC

Is that our summer or your summer?

I saw the guy from Clemson in the intros thread when I was counting Australians. You didn't just make him up, unless you got into making him up to the point where you created an account and pretended to be him just so there'd be someone from Clemson.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:22 am UTC

holy crap, four simultaneous posts...

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:24 am UTC

Yes! I meant our summer, but when is your winter? I am coming for the nerd-party, I will probably fit right in. And please don't accidentally kill me! But if you do, make sure I go out in the most awesome accidental way possible.

Also, thanks for letting me know I am not insane, VannA. I was starting to think maybe I made him up, but I did not make him up to the point of creating a new account. Clemson is in South Carolina, about three hours Northwest of Summerville (Charleston). It is a pretty neat place. EDIT: Clemson is not anywhere near Thailand. Sorry.
Last edited by rachel on Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:25 am UTC

We are heading into spring right now. Winter is around the July mark. (I'm horrible with days, and months...)

Edit: Oh, I'm not going to kill you. If you google those words, you should find the rest of the song.

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:26 am UTC

That is when our summer is. I am totally visiting during your winter/our summer for the nerd-party. I'm kind of excited and might actually do this.

Teaspoon

Postby Teaspoon » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:32 am UTC

Yeah, get away from the awful summery bad hotness and come party with us in the 5-10°C raininess of Sydney!

I'm proposing Sydney because I live there and this is all my idea.

VannA, what do you have in mind for a winter party? Massive July Birthday Bash (you, Sil, Jared, Noddy, me and whoever else we can scrounge up) or something much more sinister?

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:37 am UTC

Yes, cold rain just means I get to wear lots of sweaters and jackets, and those are my favorite clothes.

Whose birthday are we celebrating? Also, who else is pretty excited about this?

And why are there so many Australians here? It is pretty awesome, don't get me wrong, but there are thirteen of you (if not more).

VannA
White

Postby VannA » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:41 am UTC

rachel wrote:Yes, cold rain just means I get to wear lots of sweaters and jackets, and those are my favorite clothes.

Whose birthday are we celebrating? Also, who else is pretty excited about this?

And why are there so many Australians here? It is pretty awesome, don't get me wrong, but there are thirteen of you (if not more).

I have a sneaky suspicion that some of them joined up when some comics were linked to another forum Teaspoon and I frequent.

There are about 15 Birthdays in July.. but I was already thinking of doing a Christmas in July meet for 2007.

Teaspoon

Postby Teaspoon » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:50 am UTC

Oooh, neat! We can import our very own American to show us how to do Christmas in cold weather!

We see them on TV a lot (we import a lot of our TV) and they always seem kind of ... alien.

My Christmasses have normally included a picnic/barbecue lunch. There was often a beach or swimming pool involved, too.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:55 am UTC

I can't think of anything weirder, or worse, than a cold christmas.

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:58 am UTC

Oh shit, you guys are missing out. We are getting a Christmas tree and everything. I can not even wait! How many presents do I bring? Who is invited to the Christmas-in-July party? Are we getting drunk at this party? No one knock over the tree, please. I've seen this happen. Maybe we will get fake snow.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:03 am UTC

I got on xkcd from another forum, but the forum has hardly any Australians on it.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:19 am UTC

Ephphatha wrote:Come to Australia! You might accidently get killed!

Who did that song? It's been bugging me since I read your post... I'm torn between the Scared Weird Little Guys and Tripod, but I might be completely off.

EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu

Postby EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:20 am UTC

Oh, forget Clemson and Australia. Seattle's where it's at. Come for the 'Hawks, stay for the Sonics (while they're still here). Hit the Space Needle, gets some crappy food at the top, and start fearin' the heights as you go up. Check out Westlake Mall (and if you come during Xmas, ride the Carousel), then leave the mall and hit what is perhaps the ugliest building ever, the EMP. (If you're lucky, the monorail _won't_ get into an accident, catch fire, or be delayed for a week.)

Foodwise, you can't go wrong with Ivars Salmon House. They make a damn good cup of chowder.

Stick around for the architecture as well. The Columbia/BOA/whateverthehellthey'recallingitthisweek Tower is nice and tall. the City Office is ugly as hell, and so on. If you come at around the second or third week of March or so, you can also catch the Cherry Blossoms - too bad there's no alcohol on campus.

So yeah. Seattle.
When you have at your disposal a hammer made of three spacefaring battleships, do you still need to pay taxes?

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:27 am UTC

Sorry to disappoint you... even though you were the home of one of my favourite bands, we'll beat you hands down.

Three extra years of drinkage. Check. Mate.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:37 am UTC

hermaj wrote:
Ephphatha wrote:Come to Australia! You might accidently get killed!

Who did that song? It's been bugging me since I read your post... I'm torn between the Scared Weird Little Guys and Tripod, but I might be completely off.
Scared Wierd Little Guys.

I understand the confusion though, both those groups are great.

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:13 am UTC

Teaspoon wrote:Yeah, get away from the awful summery bad hotness and come party with us in the 5-10°C raininess of Sydney!?

Haha your winters are like english summers, though probably a tad warmer!
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:42 am UTC

I'd go to Sydney for an xkcd party.

...Well, okay, I wouldn't, but I'd definitely consider browsing Webjet for airfares.

randommuz

Postby randommuz » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:09 pm UTC

I would consider going to Sydney for such a party too, especially if it coincides with Essendon playing there (that is a sporting team for those not au fait with Australian Rules Football).

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:53 pm UTC

Essendon? I don't think I've heard any of their songs*.

I might consider coming to sydney for an xkcd party, but not til next year when I have more spare money.

*I know I know, aussie rules (an oxymoron if ever there was one)...

ulnevets

Postby ulnevets » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:17 pm UTC

i'm also going on a trip...

*snort* ahhhh....

ZenBearClaw

Postby ZenBearClaw » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:30 pm UTC

cool! I'll be in clemson this weekend too... but then again I live here... and I'm pretty sure that I exist outside of whomever's imagination implied that I was created for the purpose of existing in clemson.

BTW: I agree with the other people, New Zealand >> Clemson and Australia > Clemson.
I'm sorry you'll be here for homecoming... that is the day I stay hidden somewhere avoiding the obnoxious drunks.

But, if you are one of the obnoxious drunks have fun!

P.S. an awesomely fun thing to do while in the area is to go out to the stumphouse tunnel in the middle of the night and play hide an seak in total darkness. Lots of running into tunnel walls.

Andy

Postby Andy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:15 am UTC

I'd stay in Sydney for a party :)

(just trying to make sure people don't think I'm one of those people who posted an introduction and nothing else... hey, I occasionally make a fool of myself in the logic puzzles forum :))

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:18 pm UTC

Pfft, Australia..... Come to Britain, where we aren't all criminals.

(Although, in an amusing turn of fate, we now have over twice your crime rate. I find the irony rather delicious)

Also, I despise your trip to Clemson, I am now sleeping instead of staying up hideously late to occasionally talk to you.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:56 pm UTC

Most Australians aren't descendants of the criminals originally sent there anyway, so it's not really that ironic.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:02 pm UTC

That is a shame, I was enjoying it.

Now I shall just have to go to bed.

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:25 am UTC

Well, luckily for you I am back, Jesster! Zenbearclaw, I almost thought you were just a figment of my imagination. You didn't get crazy drunk with everyone else for homecoming? I thought that is what everyone did? Well, you aren't alone if you didn't because I didn't either. Did you go to the game? Do you even like football?

ZenBearClaw

Postby ZenBearClaw » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:51 pm UTC

Haha no sadly,
(sadly? ??? WTF am I saying? Happily!!) I don't usually go in for spectator sports unless there is some huge external reason for me wanting to watch a specific player. Football is also one of the dumbest sports i've every tried to watch for short periods. I spent the weekend hanging out a couple of blocks from campus. Friday my friends and I went up to the tunnel and sung every song of which we could think. This was doubly cool since it was pitch dark and since the tunnel was long enough that we could actaully hear the interference waves traveling back and forth. (interference wave isn't a good term but basically if you held a low note for 2-3 seconds the echo would come back and kill off certain chunks for another 15 seconds)
Then I went home and slept till noon, rode the bus back to my friend's place, ran in the botanical gardens (running isn't a good term since for me 10 minutes is endurance) and then spent the rest of the day avoiding the game. That night we were horrible people and fuelled our new-found addiction with D&D (I swear i'm not a junky I've only been playing 1once a week for 4 weeks I can quit any time)
Sunday Missed the bus so I drove to bi-lo bought ingredients for grilled cheese sandwiches and then made food at my friends' place because i was supposed to get to campus and study. Studying never happened so I left thier place at 10pm and went home where I started and finished "Prey" with my kitten.

In other news I still hate Crichton as he is a science fear monger.

Oh and as far as chemical dependencys I'm riding a 3day caffine high and nope i didn't drink this weekend as I'm too poor. (for the record when the local grocery offers free food via coupon, it is considered bad form not to run across town tearing the coupon out everywhere that you can find it and then stockpilling goods for the rest of the semester. )

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:28 pm UTC

It is lucky for me indeed. Now I can sit here and stare at your away signifier all day and night.

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:45 am UTC

Aw, it was an exciting game. (Guys, seriously, I do not actually get that excited about football. It was an exciting game, though.) It sounds like you had a pretty fun and exciting weekend anyway, ZBC. Mostly I just wanted to push people down all of the hills Clemson has for being in my way all of the time. You have a kitten? What is your kitten's name? Also, sorry you are a poor college kid. It happens, though.

Jesster: I'm sorry! I'm always away. Sometimes I am actually there, and it is worth giving it a shot and saying hello anyway. I just keep an away message up forever because that is how I do.

Everyone in Australia: It is kind of neat to think that I might have a semi-valid excuse to visit Australia, except I know that in about a year (which is when it would be ... sort of) none of us will remember any of this at all. Sad.

Teaspoon

Postby Teaspoon » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:18 am UTC

I'll totally remember it.

I could come back and bump this thread in a few months to remind you to start planning it. :)

Return to “General”