I Shouldn't Have To Say This

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

roband

Re: I Shouldn't Have To Say This

Postby roband » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

PencilStubs wrote:Telling someone who's skinny that they need to eat more substantial foods whenever you see them eatting fruit (among other things) at lunch is as rude as telling an overweight person that they better stop eatting junk food.

As an overweight person - I should stop eating junk food.

But the first part of your comment is correct.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

As a slightly overweight person - hey, it's not my fault junk food is delicious and fruit and veg aren't.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

roband wrote:But the first part of your comment is correct.

this seems really common for some reason

http://www.reddit.com/r/fatpeoplestories/

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

I'm going to start telling ugly people that they should really stop ignoring the potential of makeup and elective surgery.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:junk food is delicious and fruit and veg aren't.

Debatable. Odds are I would pick a bowl of fruit over a piece of cake. Unless the cake has fruit in it. Then it's great.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

Now I want fruitcake

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

I'd rather have a fruit tart.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

I like these things you only seem to get in local Happy Shopper shops here, they're like fruit tarts, but pre-packed and like.. long-life.

They're awesome, you get about 8 or 9 for £1. I'd eat them all day if I could.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:

Debatable. Odds are I would pick a bowl of fruit over a piece of cake. Unless the cake has fruit in it. Then it's great.

Blech. Almost every cake I've had with fruit in it is not good.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:

Let me be clear. Cake with fruit does not equal fruitcake. I've never had the thing that people regift at holidays. I've had Jamaican fruitcake, but that has spiced rum in it, and is delicious. I mean more of a cake with fruit as a topping, or a filling-type thing. And not dried fruit.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:As a slightly overweight person - hey, it's not my fault junk food is delicious and fruit and veg aren't.

Then you're eating the wrong vegetables and fruits.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

I like to just buy full-sized carrots and eat them, without even peeling the skin off. Apparently that's weird.

Also I'm pretty enthusiastic about kale.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Also I'm pretty enthusiastic about kale BECAUSE KALE IS AWESOME.

Well, doi.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I like to just buy full-sized carrots and eat them, without even peeling the skin off. Apparently that's weird.

It gives you more nutrients, though.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

PencilStubs

Postby PencilStubs » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:As a slightly overweight person - hey, it's not my fault junk food is delicious and fruit and veg aren't.

I'm lucky in that I think fruit is as delicious as junk food. Vegetables are harder to eat. I usually end up using salt or salad dressing. Not sure if that totally negates the healthiness of the vegetable.

Magnanimous wrote:I like to just buy full-sized carrots and eat them, without even peeling the skin off. Apparently that's weird.

I've only ever eatten prepackaged baby carrots. I didn't realize there was a skin on full-sized carrots that people would want to peel off.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

Vinegar is delicious (and healthy) on nearly any vegetable. Though I might be slightly biased, as I could probably happily drink vinegar out of the bottle.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

I did a road trip once where all I ate for like 4-5 days was cheese, bread, and balsamic vinegrette.

I looked like crap when I pulled up to my friends place, but man, I miss that open road.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

ISHTST: If the news still hasn't been able to come up with a hard number for the dead and injured in an incident, then it's way too fucking soon to start joking about it.

Also: Adding "Too soon?" to the end of your comment doesn't make you less of a flaming asshole.

And ISHTST: A terrorist attack on a major sporting event is not the time to score points off of your colleagues on an unrelated news story.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

firechicago wrote:ISHTST: If the news still hasn't been able to come up with a hard number for the dead and injured in an incident, then it's way too fucking soon to start joking about it.

Also: Adding "Too soon?" to the end of your comment doesn't make you less of a flaming asshole.
Holy shit seriously. Yahoo! had a live stream of tweets relating to it, and thankfully they had someone watching them and most of the horrible ones got removed from the stream after a minute or so.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

firechicago wrote:ISHTST: If the news still hasn't been able to come up with a hard number for the dead and injured in an incident, then it's way too fucking soon to start joking about it.

...in public.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:20 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:

...in public.
Morbid humor is a way for people to cope with things like that. I don't blame them but not everyone is going to get it.

ISHTST but when I change lanes and suddenly turn in an intersection and drive in circles around a subdivision I know you are following me.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:50 am UTC

Fire Brns wrote: Morbid humor is a way for people to cope with things like that. I don't blame them but not everyone is going to get it.

There's a fine line between mordbid humor and just kicking someone when they're down. The Onion's famous 9/11 edition (with the "Hijackers surprised to find selves in Hell" and "God angrily clarifies 'Don't Kill' rule" headlines) was a great example of the former. The asshole in the comments of a blog I read who was making Aqua Teen Hunger Force jokes before the blood was dry on Boylston St. is very much the latter.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:
emceng wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:

Let me be clear. Cake with fruit does not equal fruitcake. I've never had the thing that people regift at holidays. I've had Jamaican fruitcake, but that has spiced rum in it, and is delicious. I mean more of a cake with fruit as a topping, or a filling-type thing. And not dried fruit.

Ok, long delayed reply - but yeah, I know the difference. I've had black forest cake, and cake with strawberries, or raspberries in it. Probably others. Or pinneapple upside down cake. Generally, they do not taste good to me.

It's probably partly my aversion to things that have inconsistent textures. Ex: Christmas fruitcake, bread with grain chunks, etc.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:Also I'm pretty enthusiastic about kale BECAUSE KALE IS AWESOME.

Well, doi.

I used to like kale. Then I started working in a professional kitchen and realized that A) kale smells absolutely rank, B) it's usually covered in all manner of terrible pesticides because they have weird spidery mite things on them half the time (that happen to be about the color of my avatar) and C) no, really, it smells fucking disgusting.

I need to stop drinking water, when I finally pulled myself out of the chronic dehydration I had going on for a few years I got my sense of smell back. It has been regrettable.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:

...in public.
Morbid humor is a way for people to cope with things like that. I don't blame them but not everyone is going to get it.
Which is why you don't do it in a public setting, but in your living room with your friends, or in car with the windows up, or some other similar private space. You don't do it in a bar, and you don't do it in the comments section of a news article.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

Right. I know my dad, which is why I was able to tell him a joke about it yesterday within three hours of it happening. But I also know my mom, which is why I would never joke about something like that in front of her.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

I'm beginning to wonder if, sometimes and for some content, websites shouldn't have comment sections. There are some stories where you just want to let things sink in without the first comment engaging in debate right away.

Or at least divert the comment section to some sort of moderated place (e.g. reddit) where people can actually filter out the gunk.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

Steax wrote:f moderated place (e.g. reddit)

What?

Default subreddits are way, way too large to moderate at non-submission levels, and self moderation is bullcrap. Trite, inane, easy to read, short, neutral content crushes everything else.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

FREE SPEECH!!!! OPPRESSION!!! FACIST STATE!!!! THOUGHT CONTROL!!!

Sorry, that was just what happened last time I saw anyone disable commenting. Carry on. :roll:

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Steax wrote:f moderated place (e.g. reddit)

What?

Default subreddits are way, way too large to moderate at non-submission levels, and self moderation is bullcrap. Trite, inane, easy to read, short, neutral content crushes everything else.

Well, some subreddits. I guess I meant less 'reddit' and more the sane-up/down-voting mechanism thing. I don't read comments on tech news sites today because the first comment is going to be a religious war or some incredibly smug guy.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:FREE SPEECH!!!! OPPRESSION!!! FACIST STATE!!!! THOUGHT CONTROL!!!

Sorry, that was just what happened last time I saw anyone disable commenting. Carry on. :roll:

Not all, just some, and probably the minority. In the lines of the oatmeal... Okay, wait, I'm sure he had a comic about comment sections sometimes being bad. It had a picture of the mona lisa and everything!

Edit:
Spoiler:

Might be a bit big. Sorry.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Well, some subreddits. I guess I meant less 'reddit' and more the sane-up/down-voting mechanism thing.

But that's exactly what leads to
Menacing Spike wrote:Trite, inane, easy to read, short, neutral content crushes everything else.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Fair. Nobody's really got the whole internet discussion thing down yet.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Thu May 02, 2013 7:40 am UTC

ISHTST:
Playing the "me no speaky da english" card is never ok. It only legitimizes racism.

And when I reply in coherent Spanish you don't get to ignore me further when I explain that your actions can cost us both our jobs.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Thu May 02, 2013 9:36 am UTC

ISHTST: Nothing ever legitimises racism.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Thu May 02, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

Conforming to stereotypes creates negative opinions and validates false beliefs.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Thu May 02, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

False beliefs are still false, and as such cannot be valid.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Thu May 02, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

Regardless, when you present a stereotype as true you fabricate evidence for racism when the people believing it don't know the evidence is false. The only reason racism is wrong in the first place is because there is no evidence supporting it. It's no different than making stone giants and burying them and then digging them up and telling creationists that you found proof of the great flood. It doesn't help and it only breeds ignorance.
Last edited by Fire Brns on Thu May 02, 2013 5:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu May 02, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:Regardless, when you present a stereotype as true you fabricate evidence for racism when the people believing it don't know the evidence is false. The only reason racism is wrong in the first place is because there is no evidence supporting it. It's no different than making stone giants and burring them and then digging them up and telling creationists that you found proof of the great flood. It doesn't help and it only breeds ignorance.

Don't you see? Intellectual rigor is only required for positions you don't like.

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Thu May 02, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:Regardless, when you present a stereotype as true you fabricate evidence for racism when the people believing it don't know the evidence is false. The only reason racism is wrong in the first place is because there is no evidence supporting it.

I am not sure you and felltir are using the same definition of racism. I certainly hope not, because otherwise what you are saying here...well. Racism is not merely racial stereotyping, although that is a thing that falls under the wide umbrella of racism. Stereotypes sometimes reflect a portion of certain realities, although typically in a surface way. That is not really a justification for either judging those folk who happen to match parts of them, or for holding blanket prejudices about the group in question. Noting the differences between groups nonjudgmentally is not racism.

ETA: I missed the specific context of this post in replying. I agree that such behavior could reinforce somebody's racist attitudes. And that is a shitty way to behave. I don't believe it legitimizes racism, however.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri May 03, 2013 1:21 am UTC

Fire Brns wrote:Conforming to stereotypes creates negative opinions

Yes, it can.

Fire Brns wrote:and validates false beliefs.

No, but it can certainly encourage / reinforce such false beliefs.

Return to “General”