I Shouldn't Have To Say This

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Re: I Shouldn't Have To Say This

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:In many states, particularly those with ample shoulders and long stretches of flat road, drivers will pull over and let faster traffic go. That's what those shoulders are there for.

I noticed that when I was in Texas.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:56 pm UTC

Antimony-120 wrote:
Ashlah wrote:Wait, wait, wait...people try to drive next to you in the same lane while you're on a motorcycle? Is that what you're saying? Because no...you should not have to tell anyone that that is a stupid fucking thing to do.

That is EXACTLY what I am saying. And no, no I shouldn't. But people still try it. I've learnt to be pretty aggressive about my space on my bike, because otherwise people are psychotic.

I once had a car try to pull out on me when I was travelling at 60 mph, with traffic overtaking me on the outside lane. He kept drifting across, I then smacked his window with my hand and he then decided it was the appropriate time to use the rest of his slip road to accelerate past me. Surely that should have been his first move?
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

Baldur wrote:
Antimony-120 wrote:
Ashlah wrote:Wait, wait, wait...people try to drive next to you in the same lane while you're on a motorcycle? Is that what you're saying? Because no...you should not have to tell anyone that that is a stupid fucking thing to do.

That is EXACTLY what I am saying. And no, no I shouldn't. But people still try it. I've learnt to be pretty aggressive about my space on my bike, because otherwise people are psychotic.

I once had a car try to pull out on me when I was travelling at 60 mph, with traffic overtaking me on the outside lane. He kept drifting across, I then smacked his window with my hand and he then decided it was the appropriate time to use the rest of his slip road to accelerate past me. Surely that should have been his first move?

In the future, instead of hand may I suggest BrickTM?

/fantasy

Yeah, bricking a car window from speeding bike is a bad idea, kids. Don't do it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:16 pm UTC

The momentum of swinging a brick and managing not to topple your average crotch rocket would be beyond most joy riders, I would assume.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
RetSpline wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Going back to the traffic theme, ISHTST: The speed limit here is X mph. I am already driving at X mph. Nothing you do, no amount of beeping or light flashing or tailgating or weaving around is going to make me drive faster than I'm already going. Because I'm one of those (apparantly very rare) people who cares if I get points on my license or not. In fact, I think I'll slow down. There, we are both now driving along at X-3 mph. Oh, you're still tailgating me? Fine, we're now both driving at X-6mph. Still at it? X-10 mph, and you still can't overtake me. I'm not in a hurry, and I can keep this up all day, so back off and stop being an obnoxious twat.
Are... are you me? Because this is seriously exactly how I feel when I'm driving along at or just under the speed limit and some giant truck or SUV pulls up right behind me. I'm not going to go faster just because you want me to. Besided, judging by the relative shininess of our cars, I'd hazard that you care significantly more about the appearance of yours and wouldn't actually hit me. Pardon me while I decellerate in advance of this red light, instead of in the preceeding 2 feet.
So long as you aren't in the far left lane (or I guess far right lane if you're wacky and drive on the wrong side) then there's no problem.

If you are in the fast lane doing that, then.. yeah, I hate you. Sorry. Them's the rules.

It's single-lane traffic, usually through Bristol city. Junctions, lights, blind corners and hills galore. Thin, twisty roads with cars parked down both sides and barely enough room for traffic to pass each other. It's all but impossible to overtake unless you have a serious death wish, or happen to be on a bike (so in other words, have a serious death wish).

It was particularly funny once because it turned out the guy behind me was driving to the same office car park as me, so not only was he stuck behind me the whole way, he had to scuttle off to the office avoiding eye contact with me and trying not to appear embarrassed, as we both walked across the car park. I don't think he was expecting to come face-to-face with the guy he'd been tailgating, much less a 6'4" bloke like me. That was satisfying.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:15 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:ISHTST: No I will not follow Tony Blair on twitter, stop asking!

How about fake David Cameron?
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:11 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:
Whelan wrote:ISHTST: No I will not follow Tony Blair on twitter, stop asking!

How about fake David Cameron?

Nope. I have the Queen and Batman. My twitter is complete.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

Feminst Hulk?
Ⓞⓞ◯

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

...Duly amended.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:51 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:And if you're riding in a strong line, as you're supposed to on a bigger bike, you don't usually ride in the dead-center of your lane. I tend towards the outside, just to give myself a buffer zone. This means the putz in the penis-extension-mobile thinks he can use part of your lane too.

I always thought you had to ride on the left or right hand side of the lane, because the middle is slippery from the oil from people's leaky engines.

Whelan wrote:Nope. I have the Queen and Batman. My twitter is complete.

What about Big Ben?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:25 am UTC

People getting into loud fights all the time is not the same as good drama.
People getting into contrived, awkward situations is not the same as good comedy.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:50 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:The momentum of swinging a brick and managing not to topple your average crotch rocket would be beyond most joy riders, I would assume.

I take it you have not actually ridden a motorcycle, nor calculated the rotational inertia an average one has, at 60mph?
wee free kings

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
RetSpline wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Going back to the traffic theme, ISHTST: The speed limit here is X mph. I am already driving at X mph. Nothing you do, no amount of beeping or light flashing or tailgating or weaving around is going to make me drive faster than I'm already going. Because I'm one of those (apparantly very rare) people who cares if I get points on my license or not. In fact, I think I'll slow down. There, we are both now driving along at X-3 mph. Oh, you're still tailgating me? Fine, we're now both driving at X-6mph. Still at it? X-10 mph, and you still can't overtake me. I'm not in a hurry, and I can keep this up all day, so back off and stop being an obnoxious twat.
Are... are you me? Because this is seriously exactly how I feel when I'm driving along at or just under the speed limit and some giant truck or SUV pulls up right behind me. I'm not going to go faster just because you want me to. Besided, judging by the relative shininess of our cars, I'd hazard that you care significantly more about the appearance of yours and wouldn't actually hit me. Pardon me while I decellerate in advance of this red light, instead of in the preceeding 2 feet.
So long as you aren't in the far left lane (or I guess far right lane if you're wacky and drive on the wrong side) then there's no problem.

I have almost the opposite problem. ISHTST - If your driving on a country road and the speed limit is 60mph, please drive at a speed somewhere close to 60mph. I have a strech of about 8 miles windy road to get to work which is almost impossible to overtake on. Now, I understand not everyone is confident enough to drive at 60 along there, but so often i get stuck behind people going at 30mph. Today, there was a queue of 12 cars behind one guy who stayed between 25 and 30 the whole way. If that how you want to drive, that's fine. All I'm asking is that you pull over every so often to allow us to get past you. What should be a 12 minute journey took nearly 25 minutes today. Grr.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:39 pm UTC

Qaanol wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:The momentum of swinging a brick and managing not to topple your average crotch rocket would be beyond most joy riders, I would assume.

I take it you have not actually ridden a motorcycle, nor calculated the rotational inertia an average one has, at 60mph?

I do indeed ride a motorcycle. I just have a dim view of humanity.

The EGE wrote:

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

Rodion Raskolnikov wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
RetSpline wrote:

I have almost the opposite problem. ISHTST - If your driving on a country road and the speed limit is 60mph, please drive at a speed somewhere close to 60mph. I have a strech of about 8 miles windy road to get to work which is almost impossible to overtake on. Now, I understand not everyone is confident enough to drive at 60 along there, but so often i get stuck behind people going at 30mph. Today, there was a queue of 12 cars behind one guy who stayed between 25 and 30 the whole way. If that how you want to drive, that's fine. All I'm asking is that you pull over every so often to allow us to get past you. What should be a 12 minute journey took nearly 25 minutes today. Grr.
I grew up in an area with lots of 2-lane roads and such where passing was generally impossible because of curves & hills and what not. As far as I know it's not a law, but most people treated as such: but I was always told if you have more than 5 or 6 cars lined up behind you that you should pull over and let them on their merry way. And people did it!
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:55 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:And if you're riding in a strong line, as you're supposed to on a bigger bike, you don't usually ride in the dead-center of your lane. I tend towards the outside, just to give myself a buffer zone. This means the putz in the penis-extension-mobile thinks he can use part of your lane too.

I always thought you had to ride on the left or right hand side of the lane, because the middle is slippery from the oil from people's leaky engines.

Ride where the tires of cars go, and there's bound to be less of everything: oil, rocks & other debris, roadkill. . .
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:05 pm UTC

Rodion Raskolnikov wrote:. Now, I understand not everyone is confident enough to drive at 60 along there

Confident? Right... Just because national speed limits apply on country lanes (basing this on the uk here) does not mean 60 is any way near a safe or sensible speed for that road or that people going less than 60 are less confident. It'd be a waste of time and money putting limits on every little country lane so they are left at national, that doesn't mean actually drive them at 60. It's a country lane there's more to take into account than cars. You tear round a corner at 60 and theres a horserider on the other side of the road... well that horse is going to spook and that will probably be a thrown and possibly killed rider. You're going along at 60 and oh what do you know, there's a herd of cows taking up the whole road. Not sure any amount of confidence is going to make crashing into a herd of cows and whichever poor sod happens to be walking along behind them a pleasant experience. Oh, look a family out for a walk at the weekend, splat. Drive at a responsible speed for the road you are on, if that speed is less than the speed limit then drive slower than the speed limit!

Now yes, if you are holding up traffic behind you it is polite to let them passed and the next conveniant place for you to pull over. Saying this as someone who drives tractors on the road but it's just as applicaple to any driver, if you are going slower than others it's generally just polite to let them past if you know something is making you go slower than a reasonable speed for that road. But seriously, 60 on a country lane is just irresponsible regardless of what the arbitarily placed limit is.

I shouldn't have had to say all that, but apparently I did.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:24 pm UTC

Cloud Walker wrote:
dubsola wrote:

Ride where the tires of cars go, and there's bound to be less of everything: oil, rocks & other debris, roadkill. . .

That depends on how the roads are slanted. If there are thick enough trenches that have been created by tires, stuff accumulates in it.

The EGE wrote:

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
SlyReaper & RetSpline wrote:vrrrrrrmmmmmmm!
honk! honk!

It's single-lane traffic, usually through Bristol city. Junctions, lights, blind corners and hills galore. Thin, twisty roads with cars parked down both sides and barely enough room for traffic to pass each other. It's all but impossible to overtake unless you have a serious death wish, or happen to be on a bike (so in other words, have a serious death wish).
Plus, you have to deal with Bristolians.

Accident Report: "Ee shunted me so ard, ee did. Oi narely spat out me cornstalk Oi whuz chewin."
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Rodion Raskolnikov

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:32 pm UTC

Von Haus wrote:
Rodion Raskolnikov wrote:. Now, I understand not everyone is confident enough to drive at 60 along there

Confident? Right... Just because national speed limits apply on country lanes (basing this on the uk here) does not mean 60 is any way near a safe or sensible speed for that road or that people going less than 60 are less confident. It'd be a waste of time and money putting limits on every little country lane so they are left at national, that doesn't mean actually drive them at 60. It's a country lane there's more to take into account than cars. You tear round a corner at 60 and theres a horserider on the other side of the road... well that horse is going to spook and that will probably be a thrown and possibly killed rider. You're going along at 60 and oh what do you know, there's a herd of cows taking up the whole road. Not sure any amount of confidence is going to make crashing into a herd of cows and whichever poor sod happens to be walking along behind them a pleasant experience. Oh, look a family out for a walk at the weekend, splat. Drive at a responsible speed for the road you are on, if that speed is less than the speed limit then drive slower than the speed limit!

Now yes, if you are holding up traffic behind you it is polite to let them passed and the next conveniant place for you to pull over. Saying this as someone who drives tractors on the road but it's just as applicaple to any driver, if you are going slower than others it's generally just polite to let them past if you know something is making you go slower than a reasonable speed for that road. But seriously, 60 on a country lane is just irresponsible regardless of what the arbitarily placed limit is.

I shouldn't have had to say all that, but apparently I did.

I didn't say it was a country lane, it is the major road running up the west coast of the country, theres no cows or horses anywhere near that road. It is single lane in both directions, and of course there are parts of it where driving at 60 is dangerous. But on the whole, if you have a massive queue of cars building behind you, you are probably driving too slow. And as I said, I've no problem with people driving slower than I want to go - all I'm asking is that they let people overtake them in a safe manner.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

Kang

Postby Kang » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:13 pm UTC

When people tailgate me and then start up their brights in an attempt to make me see even less of the road in front I've recently decided that two can play at that game and gave 'em a good taste of my rear fog lights. (Not quite legal, but if they are closer than ten feet I don't feel comfy just hitting the brake for a split second anymore)

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:21 pm UTC

At least in Israel, even if you're driving at the highest legal speed, you're not supposed to be driving on the left lane if you don't need to overtake anyway. And saying "Oh it's fine to stay in this lane because I'm at the top legal limit" is a very shitty thing to do.

If you're talking about one-lane roads then I agree. Or if all traffic is going at roughly the same speed.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:34 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Geeks doing things is not the same as good comedy.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:36 pm UTC

I've been told by a Brit that in the UK it is like that - that they enforce yielding to people going faster than you. In the US it doesn't happen. People drive wherever the crap they want. By convention and social pressure, most will move to the right most lane when going slowly. That doens't always happen though.

I tend to cruise in the left lane, because I am usually one of the fastest cars on the road. If someone is tailgating me, it is because there are cars in front of me, and I'm not changing lanes to let that asshole just get one car further along. Or they're a shitty driver.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

I usually drive in the middle or left lane, because most of the time in Anchorage, right lanes become turn-only with very short notice.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

A quick perusal of Wikipedia suggests that some US states have laws about slower traffic staying right and faster ones passing on the left. Even without laws, though, it is, in my experience, the known "way to do things." Everyone knows that faster traffic is on the left, and if you want to go slower (or at the speed limit), you should stay in the right lane. Most people know and do this; some people don't (and it is annoying). I assume this is likely the case in other countries as well, as there are idiots everywhere. Any Brits want to confirm or deny?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:07 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:A quick perusal of Wikipedia suggests that some US states have laws about slower traffic staying right and faster ones passing on the left. Even without laws, though, it is, in my experience, the known "way to do things." Everyone knows that faster traffic is on the left, and if you want to go slower (or at the speed limit), you should stay in the right lane. Most people know and do this; some people don't (and it is annoying). I assume this is likely the case in other countries as well, as there are idiots everywhere. Any Brits want to confirm or deny?

Confirm. In the old U of K, we have what are known as "middle lane hogs". These are people who potter along the motorway a few mph below the speed limit in the middle lane, even when the slow lane* is completely clear. So someone driving faster than them in the slow lane, someone driving properly, has to cross two lanes to pass them and two lanes back again after passing. This is very annoying. It is, however, understandable since the UK driving test does not cover motorway driving. These people simply do not know any better because nobody has told them that middle lane hogging is a Bad Thing.

Sometimes, you get people doing this in the fast lane, and the reasoning for that is beyond me. In that situation you have no choice but to undertake.

*I of course mean the left-hand lane, but for the benefit of those who drive on the wrong side of the road, I say slow lane to be less confusing.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

Wait, why would someone in the slow lane have to cross two lanes to pass someone in the middle lane? Why not just stay in the slow lane?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:17 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Wait, why would someone in the slow lane have to cross two lanes to pass someone in the middle lane? Why not just stay in the slow lane?

Because that's undertaking which is technically illegal, though almost never enforced. I did specifically say "someone driving properly". Most times I would just stay in the slow lane and tootle past.

Alder

Postby Alder » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

Rodion Raskolnikov wrote:I didn't say it was a country lane, it is the major road running up the west coast of the country,

See, now I want to know exactly which road that is, since I live on the west coast. Hmmmm...
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:52 am UTC

ISHTST:

You know what's not cool? Being a sexist jerk to the only female in your lab, who happens to be the only person who was able to do the prelab.

Be cool, stay in school, and don't be a jerk.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:34 am UTC

Ashlah wrote:A quick perusal of Wikipedia suggests that some US states have laws about slower traffic staying right and faster ones passing on the left. Even without laws, though, it is, in my experience, the known "way to do things." Everyone knows that faster traffic is on the left, and if you want to go slower (or at the speed limit), you should stay in the right lane. Most people know and do this; some people don't (and it is annoying). I assume this is likely the case in other countries as well, as there are idiots everywhere. Any Brits want to confirm or deny?

For me (Midwest), it's about 50% or less who move over for faster traffic. Just one of the many things that makes a drive worse.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:51 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Confirm. In the old U of K, we have what are known as "middle lane hogs". These are people who potter along the motorway a few mph below the speed limit in the middle lane, even when the slow lane* is completely clear. So someone driving faster than them in the slow lane, someone driving properly, has to cross two lanes to pass them and two lanes back again after passing. This is very annoying. It is, however, understandable since the UK driving test does not cover motorway driving. These people simply do not know any better because nobody has told them that middle lane hogging is a Bad Thing.

I, technically, am a middle lane hog. Being in the slow lane is nearly always too slow to me (60-65mph) and Bruce Lee: The Car* can't quite handle the pace of the fast lane (80-100mph). I tend to stick to 75-80mph in the middle lane, and don't budge. It involves not having to change lanes every forty seconds to overtake a pootler. Only on the A303 towards Stone'enge can I manage to hit around 120mph because of the wheeeeeeeee hills! (Although Rowan Atkinson got arrested for driving 113mph in the same spot)

And besides, if you want to overtake, there's a perfectly good overtaking lane to my right.

*My 1990 Toyota Corolla
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:10 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Confirm. In the old U of K, we have what are known as "middle lane hogs". These are people who potter along the motorway a few mph below the speed limit in the middle lane, even when the slow lane* is completely clear. So someone driving faster than them in the slow lane, someone driving properly, has to cross two lanes to pass them and two lanes back again after passing. This is very annoying. It is, however, understandable since the UK driving test does not cover motorway driving. These people simply do not know any better because nobody has told them that middle lane hogging is a Bad Thing.

I, technically, am a middle lane hog. Being in the slow lane is nearly always too slow to me (60-65mph) and Bruce Lee: The Car* can't quite handle the pace of the fast lane (80-100mph). I tend to stick to 75-80mph in the middle lane, and don't budge. It involves not having to change lanes every forty seconds to overtake a pootler. Only on the A303 towards Stone'enge can I manage to hit around 120mph because of the wheeeeeeeee hills! (Although Rowan Atkinson got arrested for driving 113mph in the same spot)

And besides, if you want to overtake, there's a perfectly good overtaking lane to my right.

*My 1990 Toyota Corolla

If you can actually see a pootler in the slow lane up ahead, then that's fair enough. The slow lane is not clear and you are overtaking them. I'm moaning about the people who sit in the middle lane when there's not a soul in the slow lane for miles around. And it's really common. I've driven on motorways where the middle lane and fast lane have been absolutely packed, and I've been able to drive faster than both of them in the slow lane because there was nobody else in it. It's like people look at the slow lane and think "that's the loser lane, that's where lorries and old ladies drive, I'm not going there".

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:Wait, why would someone in the slow lane have to cross two lanes to pass someone in the middle lane? Why not just stay in the slow lane?

Because that's undertaking which is technically illegal, though almost never enforced. I did specifically say "someone driving properly". Most times I would just stay in the slow lane and tootle past.

Actually, you don't have to. The law says you can't change lanes to undertake, I.E. moving from middle to left lane. However if they're sat in the middle and you're in the slow lane and going faster, it's considered that your traffic is flowing faster, and you don't have to go round them. This is so that everyone in every motorway queue ever doesn't break the undertaking law, and so you can just ignore those idiots.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

I'd never heard the phrase undertaking with regards to driving before this thread. I'd been told that you should only pass (as in starting behind in the same lane, changing lanes, driving past them, and going back to your original lane) people on their left (if driving on the right-hand side of the road) though. It seems like the example Sly gave wouldn't be undertaking, at least not according to wikipedia, which says it's going around a slower vehicle, not merely going past them.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:10 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:

Actually, you don't have to. The law says you can't change lanes to undertake, I.E. moving from middle to left lane. However if they're sat in the middle and you're in the slow lane and going faster, it's considered that your traffic is flowing faster, and you don't have to go round them. This is so that everyone in every motorway queue ever doesn't break the undertaking law, and so you can just ignore those idiots.

Pretty sure that's a myth. The Highway Code says you can pass on the left if all lanes have slow-moving traffic, such as in a traffic jam. It doesn't define what "slow moving traffic" is, but I'm guessing someone driving at 60mph in the middle lane doesn't count.

Rodion Raskolnikov

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:35 pm UTC

Alder wrote:
Rodion Raskolnikov wrote:I didn't say it was a country lane, it is the major road running up the west coast of the country,

See, now I want to know exactly which road that is, since I live on the west coast. Hmmmm...

The much-loved A82.

~ ahammel

Link

Postby Link » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:36 pm UTC

ISHTST: if your program depends on deprecated GDK functions, don't define GDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED. It will make your program not compile.

:roll:

Postby 123 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

ISHTST: I won't cut my hair simply because you said so. I don't care if it's "gross", or "ugly". I like it long, and I'm not going to cut it just to please you. I don't even know you. Also, I REALLY shouldn't have to say I'm not going to donate it if I just said I wasn't.
Apparently, people who I never talk to in the first place think I care about their opinion.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that won't stop me from secretly hating you

Return to “General”