Most excellent times

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Re: Awesome Thread (because we need more awesome)

Postby felltir » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:59 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:I don't think you are allowed to make a post like that without posting a video to go with it.

I'll make one ASAP :D
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

I am home again after another long and tiring train journey, huzzah. Though in a strange way I'm enjoying them lately, they're a great chance to read and play old games on my laptop.

In other awesome news I have lemon cakes and peanut butter cookies I made with my girlfriend to eat and some real Devon cider to wash them down with later. OH and I painted a ceramic unicorn which I picked up today <3

Postby 123 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:04 am UTC

I have school tomorrow, after a long holiday break. Even though I'll have to wake up early, I'll finally get to see all of my friends :mrgreen:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that won't stop me from secretly hating you

osiris32

Postby osiris32 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:24 am UTC

I went on a hike in the snow. It was gorgeous and awesome:

Spoiler:

From the Depths of Hell, to the Gates of Glory, EVERYONE goes home.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:49 am UTC

One of my housemates is back in the city. I think she'll be spending most of her time round her fiance's house until most other people are back but I'll still see her around and I've been feeling really quite lonely being in this house all on my own.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

Just got back from Munich. It was a great 2 days. Best so far here in Germany. Christmas is a close second

Levi

Postby Levi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:33 am UTC

The lab coat I bought just arrived today :D .

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:41 am UTC

Oooh, what sort?
Ⓞⓞ◯

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:42 am UTC

Chocolate lab.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Levi

Postby Levi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:52 am UTC

I'm not sure, really. I just picked one off the website that looked decent. It's white, got buttons, and some pockets on the front. Plus a belt thing. It was one of these, but I can't find the exact one now. I've just realized that posting here to ask for suggestions might have been a good idea, but it seems like I may have picked a nice one by accident. I don't really know a whole lot about lab coats.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

What're you using it for?
Are the buttons along one shoulder?
Why the hell would you get buttons then?
This isn't the interview thread at all, where am I?
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

My girlfriend archive-binged xkcd over the weekend. :D
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:32 pm UTC

My physics professor has an amazing British accent. It's a bit Fry-esque, but I'm unfortunately not versed enough in accents to pin it down any further...

I've been subtly trying to make him say "category", just so I can hear it pronounced with three syllables.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

Received pronunciation, I think.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

Just found out that one of my friends had his last regular X-ray after being in remission for 3 years. This is a happy time!
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

My physics professor has an amazing British accent. It's a bit Fry-esque, but I'm unfortunately not versed enough in accents to pin it down any further...

Does he talk like David Attenborough?

If yes, then that's Received Pronunciation. ( Also known as Oxford English, BBC English or Queen's English )
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

FermiumBalloon

Postby FermiumBalloon » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:28 pm UTC

I figured out how to replace the jukebox music in Left 4 Dead 2 with Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" and Age Aleksandersen's "Min Dag". Now every campaign can have a scene from either Shaun of the Dead or Dead Snow!

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:31 pm UTC

Apparantly I have become "the guy who knows about movies" in my circle of friends. Cool. Mission Accomplished.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:23 am UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:

Does he talk like David Attenborough?

If yes, then that's Received Pronunciation. ( Also known as Oxford English, BBC English or Queen's English )
Yep, that's pretty close. Good to know.

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:33 am UTC

Goddamn I love Kona coffee

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

Yep, that's pretty close. Good to know.

In that case, I envy you. I can listen to David Attenborough for hours, he's so entertaining.

Does he also have short moments of silence in between sentences to emphasise the importance of what he just said? Because that is one of the most hilarious things about David Attenborough

Also; I do not mean to ridicule Sir David, I love what he does and I think he's doing a great job.

Which brings me to awesome: We watched one of Sir David's documentaries in class.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:57 am UTC

This is from a news website, but isn't really news, so I thought it would fit quite nicely in The Awesome Thread, as the people mentioned in the article are all pretty awesome:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12122809

And if you don't feel warm and fuzzy inside after reading it, there's something wrong with you.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:03 pm UTC

Those stories are awesome, and the one about the consultant carrying round a defibrillator in the back of his car is really interesting. A couple of days ago, I was on a course to learn how to put cannulae into people, with the tutor being a former paramedic. He was telling us that he still carries a response kit around with him in his car. Apparently he's only needed to use it once, when he came across a car accident and one of the people involved had gone into cardiac arrest. Apparently it did the trick, as the patient was kept going until the ambulance arrived, and apparently recovered quite well once in hospital. The best bit was that he wasn't the only one to stop and help at the accident, there were also two off-duty police officers, and an off-duty fireman that had stopped to help.

Somehow my awesome seems less awesome in comparison to that but I'm going to post it anyway. My leather hat is awesome. It's broad-brimmed, waterproof, fits perfectly so is pretty much windproof and is pretty sturdy as well. This morning I was serenely walking to work as pea-sized hailstones bounced harmlessly off it, while hatless people scurried for cover.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:54 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Those stories are awesome, and the one about the consultant carrying round a defibrillator in the back of his car is really interesting. A couple of days ago, I was on a course to learn how to put cannulae into people, with the tutor being a former paramedic. He was telling us that he still carries a response kit around with him in his car. Apparently he's only needed to use it once, when he came across a car accident and one of the people involved had gone into cardiac arrest. Apparently it did the trick, as the patient was kept going until the ambulance arrived, and apparently recovered quite well once in hospital. The best bit was that he wasn't the only one to stop and help at the accident, there were also two off-duty police officers, and an off-duty fireman that had stopped to help.

I went to a conference thing for wannabe med students. We got a lecture by one of the doctors on the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire air ambulance, specifically he told us about one day when he was driving down the motorway, off duty and saw a flipped lorry. He stopped to help, found the driver trapped under the top of his door and the road, assumed he'd not make it. The doctor got a passerby who'd stopped to call the ambulance, and the guy actually survived. It was a pretty inspirational talk if I'm honest.
Weeks wrote:

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

Was looking around a music stall in the Oasis (an alternative market in Birmingham) today; it's a really cool one consisting mostly of punk, grindcore and alternative metal (by that I mean metal that is considered altrenative even by the standards of most metalheads: post-metal and drone and such). Anyhow, after about five minuites of browsing the guy who runs the stall asks if ther's anything I'm looking for. I tell him I'm just browsing but if he's got any good crust or anything from Stiff Records I'd be interested. After a quick flit though his stock we determine that he doesn't, so I ask him to reccomend me something. He plays some hardcore, about as heavy as Minor Threat, good for everyone but I have a lot of that sort of thing. I ask him for something a bit heavier. He plays me something else, very fast, very melodic with screaching vocals. Again, it's good but I have enough of that stuff for the moment. I ask him for something more abrasive (actually, language failed me at that point so I think I said "less pleasing on the ear", so he puts on a third CD: A band called Weekend Nachos. Fuck me, this stuff is as heavy as lead. I think the best way to describe them is as hardcore / grindcore, with a very heavy post metal and sludge influence. Brutal as fuck. I gladly pay my £12, pop it on my CD player (what? My mp3 player's broken and even if it wasn't I still used to bring my CD player along when shopping for music: I like to listen to stuff right away) and leave with a big grin on my face. I've listened to this CD about four times today already, am listening for the fifth right now, and it's just brilliant.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:07 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:I went to a conference thing for wannabe med students. We got a lecture by one of the doctors on the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire air ambulance, specifically he told us about one day when he was driving down the motorway, off duty and saw a flipped lorry. He stopped to help, found the driver trapped under the top of his door and the road, assumed he'd not make it. The doctor got a passerby who'd stopped to call the ambulance, and the guy actually survived. It was a pretty inspirational talk if I'm honest.

Was that at medlink? If so, I had a large number of friends at that conference.
Last edited by Rakysh on Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

Kind of apt for O'Brien's post. Found this pic this morning.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

Wait. Is he sitting on the Flag? That's not very awesome...
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

Maybe it was Freedom Day.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Kind of apt for O'Brien's post. Found this pic this morning.

Unless it's the heavy, heavier, heaviest thing (Lincoln, Lincoln with a gun, Lincoln with a gun on a bear!) I don't see the connection...

mmark9094

Postby mmark9094 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:55 pm UTC

Half day today, didn't have to take a Pre-Calc test. :D

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:32 pm UTC

Just got a 35k scholarship from Caltech!

Also I get to take the Mathmatics of Cryptography for my final semester of high school!

Classes don't start til noon and they're only 3 days a week!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:37 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:Kind of apt for O'Brien's post. Found this pic this morning.

Unless it's the heavy, heavier, heaviest thing (Lincoln, Lincoln with a gun, Lincoln with a gun on a bear!) I don't see the connection...

It was more like, you were talking about heavy metal, and a picture of Lincoln with an AK and a bear was a pretty metal thing.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:40 pm UTC

AR, not AK

I think I might need to duck now.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:50 pm UTC

I've just been told it's an M4.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

M4 is a military designation for a specific AR-15 configuration. While it could be an M4, it's pretty much impossible to tell.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:38 pm UTC

I was listening to punk, anyway...

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:41 pm UTC

Shut up. Lincoln on a bear with a SOPMOD M4 with attachments is awesome.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:45 pm UTC

What's the writing on his gun? It looks like "The Emancipator", but I can't be sure...

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:48 pm UTC

Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Return to “General”