Most excellent times

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ser Pounce-a-lot

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby Ser Pounce-a-lot » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:54 pm UTC

Awesome: I only have to work tonight and after that, I have a 5 day weekend for Thanksgiving.
Also good: It's been over a full week now since I quit drinking cola (for the second time) and so far I'm doing pretty well.

Edit: Page topper!
Also, forgot getting paid 2 days early and on my next check a holiday bonus of 16 hours of extra pay for Thanksgiving and Black Friday. I had thought we would only get bonus for Thanksgiving, was very nice to find out otherwise.

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

Awesomeness - I just got made a mod on another forum. I shall try and emulate XKCD fora mods - rule with an iron fist wrapped in a velvet glove.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

farnsworth

Postby farnsworth » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:58 pm UTC

Awesome: got back in touch with my best friend who I haven't seen in PRACTICALLY FOREVER.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:56 am UTC

I GOT A CALLBACK ON MY INTERVIEW.

*breath*

I'm going to be brought onto the company campus and brought to dinner and interviewed and not in that order. It's the second step of the interviewing. YAY!

It's a paid internship next summer and they hire approximately 60% of the interns afterwards. SO EXCITED.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

Flash Mob in Bombay, India. I never thought the day would come.

/me wipes a happy tear.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

King of Frogs

Postby King of Frogs » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:50 pm UTC

Awesome: after a long protracted hiatus, I have returned to the lovely cozy world of the xkcd fora. I will be very impressed if anyone remembers me for anything other than my sarcastic DP.
The first one to fall asleep when the revolution comes.
Cheese wrote:We should never talk ever again. Ever.

michaelandjimi wrote:"No, cease your sexual activities! The communists will invade!"

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

Our Abnormal Psych midterm was amazingly easy... It was a class midterm, so people called out the answers and everyone in the class got the same score. The questions were still pretty hard (and closed-book, no notes), and everyone had to answer at least one question, but still. We ended up with a 95%.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:52 pm UTC

King of Frogs wrote:Awesome: after a long protracted hiatus, I have returned to the lovely cozy world of the xkcd fora. I will be very impressed if anyone remembers me for anything other than my sarcastic DP.

I remember both your username and your old avatar. *squints*

King of Frogs

Postby King of Frogs » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:55 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:
King of Frogs wrote:Awesome: after a long protracted hiatus, I have returned to the lovely cozy world of the xkcd fora. I will be very impressed if anyone remembers me for anything other than my sarcastic DP.

I remember both your username and your old avatar. *squints* You ... used to post in one of the science/maths/comp sci forums?

Hmm, I'm not sure I frequented that area much, not being a mathmagician nor a scientician. Mostly I went for FaiD, Music and Forum Games, occasionally venturing out into the more scary serious threads. :P

michaelandjimi wrote:"No, cease your sexual activities! The communists will invade!"

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:19 am UTC

spoilered for wallotext

Spoiler:
some dude wrote:So let's talk about coding theory. There are perhaps some of you here tonight who are not experts in coding theory, but rather have been dragged here kicking and screaming. So I thought it would be a good idea if I gave you a sort of instant, five minute graduate course in coding theory.

Coding theorists are concerned with two things. Firstly and most importantly they are concerned with the private lives of two people called Alice and Bob. In theory papers, whenever a coding theorist wants to describe a transaction between two parties he doesn't call then A and B. No. For some longstanding traditional reason he calls them Alice and Bob.

Now there are hundreds of papers written about Alice and Bob. Over the years Alice and Bob have tried to defraud insurance companies, they've played poker for high stakes by mail, and they've exchanged secret messages over tapped telephones.

If we put together all the little details from here and there, snippets from lots of papers, we get a fascinating picture of their lives. This may be the first time a definitive biography of Alice and Bob has been given.

In papers written by American authors Bob is frequently selling stock to speculators. From the number of stock market deals Bob is involved in we infer that he is probably a stockbroker. However from his concern about eavesdropping he is probably active in some subversive enterprise as well. And from the number of times Alice tries to buy stock from him we infer she is probably a speculator. Alice is also concerned that her financial dealings with Bob are not brought to the attention of her husband. So Bob is a subversive stockbroker and Alice is a two-timing speculator.

But Alice has a number of serious problems. She and Bob only get to talk by telephone or by electronic mail. In the country where they live the telephone service is very expensive. And Alice and Bob are cheapskates. So the first thing Alice must do is MINIMIZE THE COST OF THE PHONE CALL.

The telephone is also very noisy. Often the interference is so bad that Alice and Bob can hardly hear each other. On top of that Alice and Bob have very powerful enemies. One of their enemies is the Tax Authority. Another is the Secret Police. This is a pity, since their favorite topics of discussion are tax frauds and overthrowing the government.

These enemies have almost unlimited resources. They always listen in to telephone conversations between Alice and Bob. And these enemies are very sneaky. One of their favorite tricks is to telephone Alice and pretend to be Bob.

Well, you think, so all Alice has to do is listen very carefully to be sure she recognizes Bob's voice. But no. You see Alice has never met Bob. She has no idea what his voice sounds like.

So you see Alice has a whole bunch of problems to face. Oh yes, and there is one more thing I forgot so say - Alice doesn't trust Bob. We don't know why she doesn't trust him, but at some time in the past there has been an incident.

Now most people in Alice's position would give up. Not Alice. She has courage which can only be described as awesome. Against all odds, over a noisy telephone line, tapped by the tax authorities and the secret police, Alice will happily attempt, with someone she doesn't trust, whom she cannot hear clearly, and who is probably someone else, to fiddle her tax returns and to organize a coup d'etat, while at the same time minimizing the cost of the phone call.

A coding theorist is someone who doesn't think Alice is crazy.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:57 am UTC

Welcome back, Gabriel.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

King of Frogs

Postby King of Frogs » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:23 pm UTC

Thanks Felstaff! Glad to see you're still around!

Kang

Postby Kang » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:03 pm UTC

That was fairly awesome, Menacing Spike.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:55 am UTC

This is pretty awesome... It's allegedly the first ever picture of a human, in 1848.

Arisu

Postby Arisu » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:10 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:This is pretty awesome... It's allegedly the first ever picture of a human, in 1848.

1838 according to the wikipedia article, but yeah, pretty awesome indeed.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:41 pm UTC

Rodion Raskolnikov wrote:Awesomeness - I just got made a mod on another forum. I shall try and emulate XKCD fora mods - rule with an iron fist wrapped in a velvet glove.

Just follow Wheaton's Law and you'll be fine.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Rodion Raskolnikov wrote:Awesomeness - I just got made a mod on another forum. I shall try and emulate XKCD fora mods - rule with an iron fist wrapped in a velvet glove.

...unless it's for the lulz?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:11 pm UTC

See Also - Wheaton's Law Revised.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:10 am UTC

That doesn't state anything about lulz, but merely suggests that PLAYING a dick is alright if all people involved know that you are playing one.
Ptolom wrote:penis

frogman

Postby frogman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:06 am UTC

I just got an early Christmas present.

A didgeridoo.

I'm pretty happy about it :D
yeah yeah yeah

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:34 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Spoiler:

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:52 am UTC

Awesome poster someone made:

I found it on google+

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:23 pm UTC

Lunar eclipse :D It's looking pretty cool right now, half eclipsed. About 2/3rds of an hour till we get full eclipse.

GenericPseudonym

Postby GenericPseudonym » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:09 am UTC

Awesome: I got a 232 (out of 240) on the PSAT, which should correspond to about 2320 on the SAT when I take that, I think.
Less awesome: Definitely not getting a National Merit Scholarship (though my score should definitely qualify me as a semifinalist), seeing as one of the requirements is to "Have a record of consistently very high academic performance in all of grades 9 through 12..." I failed English last year, and seem to heading down that path again this year.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:59 pm UTC

This past weekend* was awesome. I went to Busan for the WCG Grand Finals, saw a whole load of awesome games: seeing MVP win a Starcraft 2 tournament in Korea was cool, and I love watching LoL games, but the highlight was the CS final - it was a really close, exciting game, and there was a big Polish contingent in the crowd supporting Again - the score was 12-16, 16-5, 14-16, which gives you an idea of how close it was. Also, on the Saturday night, I got to meet up with a friend for dinner, then I went to a bar where there were three really good bands playing, and randomly bumped into someone else I knew, so I stayed out with her and her friends until 5am. It was the best of times. :D

*Actually, the past seven months have been pretty much solid awesome. I'm having by far the best time of my life so far out here.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

So, I had my annual appraisal at work last month and in it I asked about a pay raise. My line manager said he would look into it and let me know.....

I emailed him last week as I wasn't in the office and neither was he to ask for an update, expecting that he'd say he thought I was on enough money...

He's recommended that I get a raise! He didn't say how much and he did note that it's not his decision whether I get one or not but at least it shows that someone thinks I'm being undervalued. I'm happy with some reservations as I may not get it; but it's good to know that someone other than myself or my girlfriend thinks that I should be on more money.

Just wish I could plead my case to the people that approve it, then at least I'd know I'd done my best.

Also; if you never ask, you never get! :D
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:33 pm UTC

Hooray! Thought I got screwed out of $100, but it turns out I f'ed up the address, and the check wasn't delivered. So now they're resending it to the correct address!
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

farnsworth

Postby farnsworth » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:30 am UTC

WOOOOAAAAH. I got a 100 on my physics final exam.

This is particularly surprising because I was sure I got one question wrong. :shock:

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:50 am UTC

Nice job.

Also I can now watch youtube on my xbox. WEWT

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:06 am UTC

SNOW! :D

Even more awesome: The Spanish exchange students in my class are going crazy :P

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:40 pm UTC

Today I went to the job centre for the last time, so I could tell them I'm employed now and sign off.
Yayyyyy. (I hate the job centre.)
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:55 pm UTC

Me and my sister found a wallet, all cash taken out but all the cards were still in it ( driver's liscence, bank passes etc. )

So we called the dude, turns out his wallet was stolen from his office in the back of his store, during office hours, he even saw the guy but couldn't catch him. He was so glad that he gave us flowers, a bottle of wine and 40€. Being nice is fun. :D
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Link

Postby Link » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:SNOW! :D

As in actual snow -- as in, not just sleet? If so, I'm jealous. It's just boring old rain and wind here.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:34 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:Me and my sister found a wallet, all cash taken out but all the cards were still in it ( driver's liscence, bank passes etc. )

So we called the dude, turns out his wallet was stolen from his office in the back of his store, during office hours, he even saw the guy but couldn't catch him. He was so glad that he gave us flowers, a bottle of wine and 40€. Being nice is fun. :D

I thought this story would end with him suspecting that you stole the money and just returned the other stuff. I was happy to hear that was not the case :)

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

roband wrote:I thought this story would end with him suspecting that you stole the money and just returned the other stuff. I was happy to hear that was not the case :)

Even then, that is like the nicest thief ever!
Ptolom wrote:penis

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

Link wrote:
ArgonV wrote:SNOW! :D

As in actual snow -- as in, not just sleet? If so, I'm jealous. It's just boring old rain and wind here.

Sorta, for a while. But now it's raining again :(

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

Over in the pant thread, people are complaining about crappy secret Santa presents they've received. We've just done our secret Santa, and I got a frickin' laser! Awesome!
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:09 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Over in the pant thread, people are complaining about crappy secret Santa presents they've received. We've just done our secret Santa, and I got a frickin' laser! Awesome!

Back in September, when we did our celebrations, I received two kilograms of dirt and a small cheese. It was weird.
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

farnsworth

Postby farnsworth » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:19 pm UTC

Today marks the first day of my vacation. Let the games begin!

emceng

Postby emceng » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:03 am UTC

legopelle wrote:
Plasma Man wrote:Over in the pant thread, people are complaining about crappy secret Santa presents they've received. We've just done our secret Santa, and I got a frickin' laser! Awesome!

Back in September, when we did our celebrations, I received two kilograms of dirt and a small cheese. It was weird.

What crazy place do you live that has Christmas in September? Canada?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Return to “General”