Most excellent times

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

OBrien

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby OBrien » Mon May 14, 2012 3:09 pm UTC

Bought a meat feast pizza with red and green peppers and mild chillies . Added onions, garlic, oregano, cumin, paprika and cheddar. Win.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

roband

Postby roband » Mon May 14, 2012 3:34 pm UTC

I've started putting cumin on everything. It's better than fucking pepper! Tony Stark would probably disagree...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 14, 2012 4:22 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:It's called "Crimsons", and is a manga about salmon migration, canadian interns, and water fleas having existential monologues.

I've removed the completely unnecessary descriptor. It's manga.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Mon May 14, 2012 5:03 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:It's called "Crimsons", and is a manga about salmon migration, canadian interns, and water fleas having existential monologues.

I've removed the completely unnecessary descriptor. It's manga.

Hey she also could have none at all.

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Tue May 15, 2012 12:22 am UTC

I have finally decided to get an xkcd shirt, The useless one. I shall wear it proudly.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue May 15, 2012 4:09 am UTC

I remember reading an article about how artificial sweeteners aren't absorbed by the body and aren't filtered by water processing plants, so now there are trace amounts of sucralose in some water supplies. This wasn't it, but link.

(Edit: In response to the diet soda discussion. This has been a FRT.)

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue May 15, 2012 5:05 am UTC

Zarq wrote:I don't know if Coke/Sprite/Fanta with just low sugar-content would taste good. There exist sodas without artificial sweetener and a low sugar-content, Tonissteiner has a line of them for instance, but they are not that easy to find.

A couple years before Coke Zero was introduced, Coca-Cola sold a product called "Coca-Cola C2", which was essentially Coca-Cola with half HFCS and half artificial sweetener. It wasn't too bad. I actually wonder if making C2 was what led them to making Coke Zero.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Thu May 17, 2012 3:30 pm UTC

Done with exams and I just got a new job for the summer that sounds to be rather interesting.

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu May 17, 2012 3:38 pm UTC

I graduated Summa Cum Laude with my BS in Statistics, Actuarial Science minor two weeks ago!
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat May 19, 2012 10:44 pm UTC

We've done it. Chelsea FC have finally won their much deserved CL final Trophy.

It's awesome. It's awesomer than anything that has ever happened to me. I'm ecstatic. I'm fucking overjoyed. So are fans everywhere. I have never been more proud.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

ExplodingHat

Postby ExplodingHat » Mon May 21, 2012 3:20 am UTC

Snark wrote:...BS in Statistics...
Isn't that already implied? :P
Some call it luck, I call it "subconscious planning".

roband

Postby roband » Mon May 21, 2012 1:05 pm UTC

Amie wrote:We've done it. Chelsea FC have finally won their much deserved CL final Trophy.

It's awesome. It's awesomer than anything that has ever happened to me. I'm ecstatic. I'm fucking overjoyed. So are fans everywhere. I have never been more proud.

Drogba's goal was sublime. I never thought it would happen. And Neuer's penalty was the best of all of them (absolutely unreal, at that point I thought Bayern had won it). Well deserved win though, as you say.

Do you think di Matteo will keep his job?

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon May 21, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Zarq wrote:I don't know if Coke/Sprite/Fanta with just low sugar-content would taste good. There exist sodas without artificial sweetener and a low sugar-content, Tonissteiner has a line of them for instance, but they are not that easy to find.

A couple years before Coke Zero was introduced, Coca-Cola sold a product called "Coca-Cola C2", which was essentially Coca-Cola with half HFCS and half artificial sweetener. It wasn't too bad. I actually wonder if making C2 was what led them to making Coke Zero.

I wish they'd at least make those iced teas with less sugar. I'm tired of my options being "unsweetened" or "now the bacteria in my mouth have all the fuel they need and are never going to leave and my skin will erupt into the annoying cystic type acne that takes forever to go away"

Sugar doesn't agree with me.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 21, 2012 3:26 pm UTC

Shro wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:

I wish they'd at least make those iced teas with less sugar. I'm tired of my options being "unsweetened" or "now the bacteria in my mouth have all the fuel they need and are never going to leave and my skin will erupt into the annoying cystic type acne that takes forever to go away"

Should I now horrify you with the notion that a lot of Southerners hate them too because they aren't sweet enough?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon May 21, 2012 3:41 pm UTC

If your spoon doesn't stand up it's not sweet enough.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon May 21, 2012 4:25 pm UTC

Shro wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:

What about iced tea with artificial sweeteners? Under what category does that fall?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon May 21, 2012 4:39 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Should I now horrify you with the notion that a lot of Southerners hate them too because they aren't sweet enough?

Really it would be best for everyone to just have unsweetened tea and simple syrup (or a sweet tea that is basically tea flavored syrup) and let people mix their own. I guess that wouldn't work at a drive-thru, but otherwise it's perfect.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon May 21, 2012 5:27 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Should I now horrify you with the notion that a lot of Southerners hate them too because they aren't sweet enough?

Really it would be best for everyone to just have unsweetened tea and simple syrup (or a sweet tea that is basically tea flavored syrup) and let people mix their own. I guess that wouldn't work at a drive-thru, but otherwise it's perfect.

That's not enough sugar.

Sweet tea (swayt tay) is made when the water is very hot and able to hold more sugar in suspension. If one were to try and mix that much sugar into tea that's already iced, the solution would be saturated and the excess sugar would sadly fall to the bottom of the glass as a slurry.

Awesome: Chicken Express Sweet Tea.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon May 21, 2012 6:26 pm UTC

philsov wrote:
Роберт wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Should I now horrify you with the notion that a lot of Southerners hate them too because they aren't sweet enough?

That's not enough sugar.
I'm aware that they literally want more sugar in their tea than will fit in cold water. Hence my suggestion involving a syrup sweetener rather than granulated sugar.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon May 21, 2012 6:56 pm UTC

Wouldn't it be easier just to give them a cup of syrup with a teabag floating in it? Then the sissies can add water to dilute it as they wish.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon May 21, 2012 7:36 pm UTC

This is wonderful.

What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Mon May 21, 2012 11:47 pm UTC

That image is indeed awesome.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Tue May 22, 2012 2:16 am UTC

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue May 22, 2012 3:21 am UTC

I still don't know what to make of that. I'd be embarrassed to be associated with a political party that watches TV during meetings, for whatever purpose.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue May 22, 2012 4:25 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:I still don't know what to make of that. I'd be embarrassed to be associated with a political party that watches TV during meetings, for whatever purpose.

Have you ever seen records of Parliament/Assemblies sessions? It's school break in there.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue May 22, 2012 5:03 am UTC

Yeah, but at least they can PRETEND they're being productive. In this case it's actually a "what will people think of me" type of thing. As a brony I've already determined that I will feel no embarrassment about it; people have no right to judge me by what TV shows I watch.* However, people who think a political party is weird for watching TV when they want to calm down during a meeting may have a bit of a point.

*Exception: Maury. Fuck Maury and people who watch Maury.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Tue May 22, 2012 8:13 am UTC

SpaceX successfully launched Falcon 9 into space, and deployed Dragon. Their feeds even lasted long enough to see the solar arrays unfurl. Also, the enthusiasm the SpaceX people had gives me even more hope for the future of space flight :D.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue May 22, 2012 8:20 am UTC

torontoraptor wrote:SpaceX successfully launched Falcon 9 into space, and deployed Dragon. Their feeds even lasted long enough to see the solar arrays unfurl. Also, the enthusiasm the SpaceX people had gives me even more hope for the future of space flight :D.
I came here to post pretty much this. Awesome, indeed!
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Tue May 22, 2012 12:46 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:I still don't know what to make of that. I'd be embarrassed to be associated with a political party that watches TV during meetings, for whatever purpose.

I just like it for two reasons:

1: Anything that undermines politicians non-violently and without preaching hatred will encourage people to govern themselves, bringing the people one step closer to an anarchistic society, which is awesome.
2: Ponies.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri May 25, 2012 9:52 am UTC

It is a lovely, hot, sunny day here, and I only have to work for about half an hour more. After that, I am going to spend the afternoon sitting in a park that is hosting a beer festival. I'm really looking forward to it. :D :D :D
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

roband

Postby roband » Fri May 25, 2012 9:54 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:It is a lovely, hot, sunny day here, and I only have to work for about half an hour more. After that, I am going to spend the afternoon sitting in a park that is hosting a beer festival. I'm really looking forward to it. :D :D :D

Assuming you're in the location which your profile suggests (and the fact I know there is a beer festival on here later), I can second how bloody lovely it is in the 'shire today. I am also damn jealous of you. I'm stuck in an office for the next 5 hours, then I have to go get my car MOT'd :(

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri May 25, 2012 10:04 am UTC

I am indeed in Northampton and heading to the Delapre Beer Festival. It is open tomorrow, which also looks like being a lovely day, so maybe you can go then.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

roband

Postby roband » Fri May 25, 2012 10:08 am UTC

Alas, I have a family lunch and plans with an old friend in the evening.

Both will be awesome, but there's something special about beer festivals.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri May 25, 2012 5:00 pm UTC

Russia a hundred years ago.

In high quality colour photographs. Photographs of people living when the Tsar still ruled, before the Bolshevik revolution, before the Soviet Union was so much as a twinkle in Lenin's eye, before Europe started to tear itself apart with fire and metal and mustard gas. Photographs of such quality that they could have been taken yesterday. This is exactly the sort of thing I find awesome.

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Fri May 25, 2012 5:56 pm UTC

The truly crazy thing is, they weren't one-shot color photographs. They're stacks of three RGB photographs (mentioned in the article, and take a look at the pole in one of the boat pictures.) So they were almost impossible to see in true color before modern image-processing software.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri May 25, 2012 6:35 pm UTC

Well no. As the caption says, they would have been projected, backed by red, blue and green lamps. So they would have been viewable in mostly-true colour at the time, assuming you were wealthy enough to afford such extravagances. The clarity wouldn't have been as good, of course; and I suspect there's been some digital enhancements done beyond simply recombining the RGB layers. Still, it brings to life a time almost beyond living memory. None of those grainy black-and-white crap-o-graphs you normally get with historical photos, these are like a window on time.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri May 25, 2012 8:14 pm UTC

Little boy with hearing problems loves comics, but doesn't want to wear his hearing aid.

Mother contacts Marvel to ask about superheroes with hearing problems.

Marvel 1: points out Hawkeye and 2: makes a new superhero named after the kid's hearing aid.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/185975 ... -of-nh-boy

Awesome
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Sat May 26, 2012 12:29 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:
torontoraptor wrote:SpaceX successfully launched Falcon 9 into space, and deployed Dragon. Their feeds even lasted long enough to see the solar arrays unfurl. Also, the enthusiasm the SpaceX people had gives me even more hope for the future of space flight :D.
I came here to post pretty much this. Awesome, indeed!

And successful berthing today! (Which also happens to be not only Towel Day but Super Towel Day: 25 + 5 + 12 = 42)

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Sat May 26, 2012 3:42 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Well no. As the caption says, they would have been projected, backed by red, blue and green lamps. So they would have been viewable in mostly-true colour at the time, assuming you were wealthy enough to afford such extravagances. The clarity wouldn't have been as good, of course; and I suspect there's been some digital enhancements done beyond simply recombining the RGB layers. Still, it brings to life a time almost beyond living memory. None of those grainy black-and-white crap-o-graphs you normally get with historical photos, these are like a window on time.

Yeah, that's the thing - a three-color projection apparatus. Capable of overlaying the three images with minimal distortion. I'm not even sure how such a thing would work, in a way that it could project three identical images onto the same spot using lamps at three different locations. Certainly difficult and complex enough to build that few could see them.

Now, all it takes is a few minutes on photoshop and then anyone with a net connection can see them.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Sat May 26, 2012 5:17 am UTC

wooo my friends and I are playing the firefly rpg.

Return to “General”