Most excellent times

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

roband

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby roband » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:16 am UTC

Seeing the Formula 1 live at Silverstone was pretty awesome.

The way I feel today, and the fact I'm at work, is not so awesome - but I'm still on a plus overall!

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:21 pm UTC

And, my leasing office let me out of my lease early, since they found a tenant! That's basically $1000 straight into my pocket.

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:18 am UTC

My boss complimented me, and said he was glad I'm there for the summer! :D I'm being useful!
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:38 pm UTC

I got my turntable working! *is listening to Bowie LPs*

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:35 pm UTC

I have a student bill of less than $2000!!! I freaking LOVE scholarships. And the fact that I'm only taking 12 credits (I graduate in December)

This means that I can survive quite easily until December without working for the rest of the summer or during the school year based on what I have already. Now, I will be working for another 4 weeks and I'll probably be working about 13-15 hours during the week at school because I really enjoy my job there and it will pay for general living expenses. I've also got $2000 my parents are giving me as that's what they got back on their taxes for claiming me as a dependent even though I'm supporting myself (except for health and car insurance). And I've got $4000 in a trust left to me by my Grandma that I plan as using as an emergency fund. Yay!!

The fact that I'm going to be graduating from my undergrad with less than $5000 in loans is staggering to me.

I'm really, really lucky.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:08 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:The fact that I'm going to be graduating from my undergrad with less than $5000 in loans is staggering to me.

You could also, like, be born in Sweden or something.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:55 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:The fact that I'm going to be graduating from my undergrad with less than $5000 in loans is staggering to me.

You could also, like, be born in Sweden or something.

How is the situation in France actually? I've always assumed it was just the US that had these ridiculous high tuitions, but apparently so do Britain and Canada. Not even remotely as high as the US but significantly larger than Belgium (€580 next year).
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:40 am UTC

I'm paying over 5 times as much as someone born in the UK to go here. It's still cheaper than a comparable uni in the US.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:51 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:How is the situation in France actually? I've always assumed it was just the US that had these ridiculous high tuitions, but apparently so do Britain and Canada. Not even remotely as high as the US but significantly larger than Belgium (€580 next year).

If you're good, you can get free public education. Otherwise there are private establishments, prices vary considerably but are around 1000-5000€/y. The state pays a large part of their costs.

Schools concerned with economy and management do have ridiculous fees. Also the students there are all assholes.

Additionally, the national and regional institutions may grant scholarships (I got two of them, 1000€ for both).

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:44 am UTC

Thunderstorms in Vegas!

Rest of the album.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:36 am UTC

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WoJsNYEWwtQ
X has outlined a video schedule for his channel.
That's right. X, of X's Adventures in Minecraft... is returning to Minecraft.
He's also finishing Half-Life 2, and, eventually, more Skyrim.

This is astounding. I think the only thing that could get me more excited is if Half-Life 2: Episode 3 was announced.

This probably belongs in the SO MOTHEREFFIN' HAPPY thread, but that thread's dead. Regardless, I am SO MOTHEREFFIN' HAPPY, because I get to watch X begin to finish Half-Life 2 tomorrow, and start a new Minecraft world Wednesday.

The man-crush levels are dangerously high.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:08 am UTC

I quit smoking! Been clean for a week and 5 days now. Yesterday was really tough though, because it was the first time since I quit that my friends were over, and they all smoke. But I'm proud of myself that I didn't! :mrgreen:
Ptolom wrote:penis

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

The new series from Geek & Sundry is super-awesome. Written by a Kid. A kid tells a story, and then they animate/act it out. Episode 1 features Dave Foley, Joss Whedon & Kate Micucci.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef2wnLL1 ... ture=g-u-u

This is pretty fantastic.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:35 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:I quit smoking! Been clean for a week and 5 days now. Yesterday was really tough though, because it was the first time since I quit that my friends were over, and they all smoke. But I'm proud of myself that I didn't! :mrgreen:
Congrats!

Blackdomino

Postby Blackdomino » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:55 am UTC

Many things are awesome:
My friend who has cancer is going to be ok. They got it all in the operation, after some radiotherapy her survival is almost100%.
cooking ahead is awesome, I made 2 dinners yesterday now all I have to do is nuke it for 2 minutes and done.
Babies are awesome. I am watching my one year old pull herself up on the furniture and slide along the floor on her socks, it is like she is ice skating. So cute. Even when she is snotty she will beam a smile and put out her arms for a cuddle. Not looking forward to when she is a teenager!
"It's not that I condone fascism, or any 'ism' for that matter. ' Isms' in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in any 'ism' they should believe in themselves." - Ferris Bueller

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:32 am UTC

Pedipalp is a great word. (It's the appendage near spiders' mouths that look like smaller legs.) Pedipalps! And it makes sense, since pedi- means foot. Apparently palpus means palm or insect feeler.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:04 pm UTC

I'll be leaving this afternoon for a week full of canoeing and camping goodness in the BWCA.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:32 am UTC

I got a job! Pretty much exactly the one I wanted.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:35 am UTC

Less than a week till my honeymoon in Morocco! Woo!
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:28 pm UTC

Watching the Olympic opening ceremony, my eldest innocently asked if they were going to celebrate the student riots...
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:41 am UTC

Jumble wrote:Watching the Olympic opening ceremony, my eldest innocently asked if they were going to celebrate the student riots...

I'm surprised there isn't rioting over the lack of a Dr. Who cameo in the ceremony. Seriously, all those British pop culture references and NO Doctor?
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:38 am UTC

thorgold wrote:
Jumble wrote:Watching the Olympic opening ceremony, my eldest innocently asked if they were going to celebrate the student riots...

I'm surprised there isn't rioting over the lack of a Dr. Who cameo in the ceremony. Seriously, all those British pop culture references and NO Doctor?

Maybe they are keeping it to the internet? Because there was rioting on Tumblr, I can tell you that. I subscribe to a limited number of blogs and block Who-related posts when I can, and I can still definitively tell you that. XD

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:04 am UTC

26 kg / 57 lbs down since january. Yay /r/keto!

This is my belt. In January, I was at the last hole. Today I punched a third extra hole below the smallest hole.
Spoiler:
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

ameretrifle wrote:
thorgold wrote:

Maybe they are keeping it to the internet? Because there was rioting on Tumblr, I can tell you that. I subscribe to a limited number of blogs and block Who-related posts when I can, and I can still definitively tell you that. XD

There was a TARDIS noise mixed into Bohemian Rhapsody, apparently.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:08 pm UTC

The EGE wrote:
ameretrifle wrote:
thorgold wrote:

There was a TARDIS noise mixed into Bohemian Rhapsody, apparently.

And the bi-coloured 3-d glasses.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:19 pm UTC

The EGE wrote:There was a TARDIS noise mixed into Bohemian Rhapsody, apparently.

yeah, I think we were all expecting Matt admits Smith (bloody auto correct) to appear. Let's face it, if the Queen is up for a comedy acting role then he should have been.
[edit] there were the girls in the weird black and white pepper pot dresses. I had a facebook debate whether they were supposed to be Daleks. Damned if I know what else they were supposed to be!

I can't help thinking, of the 1 billion people who watched the ceremony last night there were probably 30 million in the uk thinking it was great, and 970 million outside the uk thinking 'what the fuck is all this, I knew the Brits were crazy'.

Am I wrong?
Last edited by Jumble on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:42 pm UTC

I just finished doing this:
http://silvereaglegroup.com/component/c ... rticle/321

Holy crap it was awesome!
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Boris Veganofsky

Postby Boris Veganofsky » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:29 am UTC

Trying out the whole dating thing for the first time (only previous experience is transitionning from friends to more). Second date, cuddles and make-outs were had. Pretty awesome.

I am probably moving in with an awesome friend in the fall, in the building where my best friend, and the girl I am dating, happen to live. Could be a little awkward, but very awesome.

Previous experiences tell me that my life cannot possibly contain that much awesome all at once. Something will inevitably fuck up.
Last edited by Boris Veganofsky on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:26 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

K-R

Postby K-R » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:35 am UTC

Boris Veganofsky wrote:Previous experiences tell me that my life cannot possibly contain that much awesome all at once. Something will inevitably fuck up.

I've been thinking that for months, and every time it looks like it's about to go up in smoke, something comes in and rescues it.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:25 am UTC

Jumble wrote:
The EGE wrote:There was a TARDIS noise mixed into Bohemian Rhapsody, apparently.

yeah, I think we were all expecting Matt admits Smith (bloody auto correct) to appear. Let's face it, if the Queen is up for a comedy acting role then he should have been.
[edit] there were the girls in the weird black and white pepper pot dresses. I had a facebook debate whether they were supposed to be Daleks. Damned if I know what else they were supposed to be!

I can't help thinking, of the 1 billion people who watched the ceremony last night there were probably 30 million in the uk thinking it was great, and 970 million outside the uk thinking 'what the fuck is all this, I knew the Brits were crazy'.

Am I wrong?

As for Dr. Who appearance, bear in mind we still have a closing ceremony to go through too. My wife complained about the lack of Take That and Adele.....

It was definitely a very British affair but I think that's pretty good. Do what we do best; quirky and strange.

After watching it all, I'm a little sad that I've only got a few more days to watch it before I jet off and miss the rest of it. There's only so much my Sky+ can record..
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

Boris Veganofsky

Postby Boris Veganofsky » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:26 am UTC

Previous experiences tell me that my life cannot possibly contain that much awesome all at once. Something will inevitably fuck up.

And I knew it. Thank fuck I am not an optimist, because boy would I be disappointed in life.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:41 am UTC

I was first in my running club in a cross-country race!
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:01 pm UTC

Aww hell yes. I'm being sent a cheque for £277 from my water company. I had a water meter installed a couple of weeks ago, and I had paid for a year's worth of water on the unmetered rate back in May. This is a pro-rata refund for that. Definitely helpful, since I'm going to an anime convention next week, and could definitely use the money to buy useless crap from the dealer's room.

Edit: also, there have been some epic thunderstorms rumbling around Bristol this afternoon. It's good to be indoors. :mrgreen:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:00 pm UTC

Sytri wrote:
Jumble wrote:

Am I wrong?

As for Dr. Who appearance, bear in mind we still have a closing ceremony to go through too. My wife complained about the lack of Take That and Adele.....

It was definitely a very British affair but I think that's pretty good. Do what we do best; quirky and strange.

After watching it all, I'm a little sad that I've only got a few more days to watch it before I jet off and miss the rest of it. There's only so much my Sky+ can record..

Yeah, I was getting the 'where's Adele?' complaints from my wife and sister (different people, same room, shared complaint - I know I'm Cornish but don't jump to conclusions).

You're right, we've got a week to wait before we find out how weird we can make the closing ceremony. We should start a sweepstake. I'm voting for an attack of Daleks and cybermen being defeated by a crack SAS squad formed from Wellington, Raleigh, Nelson, Churchil, Henry V (parts 1-5), Bear Grylls, Ray Mears, David Attenborough, John Humphries, Humphrey Littleton, Nicholas Parsons, Wallace and Grommit. All set to a sound track composed by Chaz and Dave and performed by the Worzles. Ticket price for the closing ceremony currently stands at £1500 per ticket, but for a show like that I'd pay extra!
Spoiler:

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:57 am UTC

I got into uni! Yay! :D
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:50 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:I got into uni! Yay! :D

WOOT!
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:09 am UTC

Congrats eSOANEM!

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:27 pm UTC

Kinda sad, but awesome for me - failbook is no longer blocked by my work filter. It wasn't, then it was. Now it isn't again! Hurts productivity, helps morale!
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:54 pm UTC

If anyone wants to go to Maker Fair NEW YORK for FREE, you can volunteer for teaching people to solder and make brush bots, you can sign up by following the instructions here. http://alphaonelabs.pbworks.com/w/page/ ... ire%202012

OR volunteer to do OTHER stuff and go to maker fair new york free HERE http://makerfaire.com/cs/maker/create/f ... 12vol.form
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:55 am UTC

emceng wrote:Kinda sad, but awesome for me - failbook is no longer blocked by my work filter. It wasn't, then it was. Now it isn't again! Hurts productivity, helps morale!

It's no longer blocked for me either, but I think the only time I'll ever go there at work is if there's something vitally important I need to ugently update for an event.

Really awesome is that gmail and google docs are no longer blocked for me, which is fantastic.

Return to “General”