Most excellent times

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Tomlidich the second

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

EQUAL RIGHTS POWER RANGERS!

RANDOM GRASS EXPLOSIONS BEHIND US WITH RAINBOWS!!!!!

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:EQUAL RIGHTS POWER RANGERS!

RANDOM GRASS EXPLOSIONS BEHIND US WITH RAINBOWS!!!!!

Image.

Red Ranger is a dick.

"man, why do you have your arms in my face? what the fuck, dude?"
"Shut up, this is my big moment, with the explosions coming out of my ass, man!"
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

roband

Postby roband » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:16 am UTC

My friend is Red Ranger, I'm Blue Ranger.

We didn't think about it at the time, but it's kinda fitting given our personalities and the characters'.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

To counter the recent pant about my dog, I present an awesome: he is now going into his crate without a treat beforehand. He still gets treats, but now he gets them after I say "crate" and he enters it, rather than before as a bribe or behavior shaper.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

we haven't told our only crate trained dog to go in her crate in years.....she still sleeps in it sometimes...or in the wife's closet (which is sort of like a crate I guess). she'll sometimes just go in the room and open the crate door and scoot right in.

or course, sometimes she wants to sleep in the crate and the cat is in there.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Link

Postby Link » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

I made a PCB using the toner transfer method today (the first time I've used this method, and the first time I've created a two-layer PCB), and it's practically perfect!

Picture (spoilered for somewhat big):
Spoiler:

cplns

Postby cplns » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Goodreads is one of the best things to ever happen to me. I've won five free books in their giveaways in the past three weeks; three of them since the 26th. A chance to grow my personal library and a way to get myself back into reading regularly? Yes, please.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

There's going to be another Sandman comic.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

Ehh... when this sort of thing happens a couple of years later, I'm excited. When it's 17 years later, I'm.... hesitant. Mostly because it's been 17 years. Gaiman today is not Gaiman of 17 years ago, so picking it up and running with it again could end... badly.

I mean, look at DK2. Or, you know, don't. Because it was god-awful.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

Link wrote:I made a PCB using the toner transfer method today (the first time I've used this method, and the first time I've created a two-layer PCB), and it's practically perfect!

I am jealous. Long, long, ago I tried that trick (with special paper from digikey). I was the completely green EE, and the "senior engineer" thought it was a good idea. Actually I think that the biggest issue was with our "acid". We either had bad stuff or were in some sort of EPA nadir between the acid I used in high school (which worked) and the stuff we could get a few years later (which also worked). I think it took 6 hours to develop, far longer than the resist could last.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Ehh... when this sort of thing happens a couple of years later, I'm excited. When it's 17 years later, I'm.... hesitant. Mostly because it's been 17 years. Gaiman today is not Gaiman of 17 years ago, so picking it up and running with it again could end... badly.

Still, Neil's still writing halfway-decent stuff these days (although I haven't read his most recent one). Unlike Frank "As I've aged I've tried less and less to hide my belief that all women are prostitutes" Miller.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:Still, Neil's still writing halfway-decent stuff these days (although I haven't read his most recent one). Unlike Frank "As I've aged I've tried less and less to hide my belief that all women are prostitutes" Miller.

In fairness, Miller's recent work hasn't just been about how all women are prostitutes. He's also spent a lot of time writing about how those awful brown people hate us for our freedom.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:44 am UTC

firechicago wrote:
ConMan wrote:Still, Neil's still writing halfway-decent stuff these days (although I haven't read his most recent one). Unlike Frank "As I've aged I've tried less and less to hide my belief that all women are prostitutes" Miller.

In fairness, Miller's recent work hasn't just been about how all women are prostitutes. He's also spent a lot of time writing about how those awful brown people hate us for our freedom.

You are, of course, correct. I was remiss in not including that.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:29 am UTC

ConMan wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Ehh... when this sort of thing happens a couple of years later, I'm excited. When it's 17 years later, I'm.... hesitant. Mostly because it's been 17 years. Gaiman today is not Gaiman of 17 years ago, so picking it up and running with it again could end... badly.

Still, Neil's still writing halfway-decent stuff these days (although I haven't read his most recent one). Unlike Frank "As I've aged I've tried less and less to hide my belief that all women are prostitutes" Miller.

Good ol' Frank.

Still, point is that it's a character he's not worked with in nearly two decades. He's changed since then. Might not be a good fit.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:45 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Still, point is that it's a character he's not worked with in nearly two decades. He's changed since then. Might not be a good fit.

Only one decade since he last wrote a Sandman comic.

Though that's still a long time.

Edited to add: I also think it makes a difference that he's mentioned publicly several times over the last 15 years that this is a story he's had at the back of his mind and might want to tell some day. So if it's bad, at least it won't be because it's just a quick cash-in without any inspiration behind it.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:30 am UTC

I feel like Gaiman really peaked with sandman, and has been going downhill (albeit not terribly rapidly) ever since.

Whether that means returning to sandman will be the best thing he's done in years, or the worst thing he's done yet, I am unsure.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Link

Postby Link » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:34 am UTC

wumpus wrote:
Link wrote:I made a PCB using the toner transfer method today (the first time I've used this method, and the first time I've created a two-layer PCB), and it's practically perfect!

I am jealous. Long, long, ago I tried that trick (with special paper from digikey). I was the completely green EE, and the "senior engineer" thought it was a good idea. Actually I think that the biggest issue was with our "acid". We either had bad stuff or were in some sort of EPA nadir between the acid I used in high school (which worked) and the stuff we could get a few years later (which also worked). I think it took 6 hours to develop, far longer than the resist could last.
I used regular glossy inkjet photo paper for the transfer. I used a small hot plate (the kind you'd use to keep a kettle warm) as an ironing board, and an old-fashioned iron (i.e. one that doesn't use steam). When removing the paper after the transfer, the last layer was extremely stubborn, especially in the ~10-mil separations between traces, but I kept soaking it in hot water, cleaning it with a toothbrush, and then re-soaking it, and I managed to get it clean in about an hour of that. As for etching, FeCl3 did the trick for me. You need quite a high concentration (I have a bag of FeCl3 grains and just poured them into a container with hot water until it started doing its job in a reasonable time frame). Once I got the right concentration, I think it took maybe 10-15 minutes to etch.

I've since drilled it, mostly using a 0.021" (around 0.5mm) drill bit from DigiKey. I didn't get it completely right, but it's nothing too serious (a few holes pierced the annuli on the far side, but nothing is completely off its trace or into a neighbouring trace or plane). I'm a bit busy now, but I think I can start soldering in a few days.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

i dunno whether this is an awesome or a bad thing, but im staying positive.

im deciding to leave my current group of friends and venture out into this brave new world to find new ones. new ones like you guys.
i love you guys.

cplns

Postby cplns » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:i dunno whether this is an awesome or a bad thing, but im staying positive.

im deciding to leave my current group of friends and venture out into this brave new world to find new ones. new ones like you guys.
i love you guys.

I'd say that's a pretty awesome thing. It can be sad to leave other friends, but if you need new ones to keep you social and happy and all that good stuff, then setting out to get what you need = awesome.
We love you, too.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

cplns wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:i dunno whether this is an awesome or a bad thing, but im staying positive.

i love you guys.

I'd say that's a pretty awesome thing. It can be sad to leave other friends, but if you need new ones to keep you social and happy and all that good stuff, then setting out to get what you need = awesome.

i feel like i should be sad, but not really.

these guys are real jerks to me most of the time, not sure why i keep them around.
eh.

cplns wrote:We love you, too.

dawwww

cplns

Postby cplns » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:i feel like i should be sad, but not really.

these guys are real jerks to me most of the time, not sure why i keep them around.
eh.

cplns wrote:We love you, too.

dawwww

Then it's definitely an awesome thing. Everyone deserves friends that treat them great and aren't jerkfaces. I just had to drop one of my best friends because half the time she was terrible to me and the other half she made my life way more stressful than it needed to be. I feel so much better after that.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

its weird as hell though, most of them on their own were very kind and considerate people, but they got in a group, singled me out, and made my life a living hell.

done with them now.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

i love you guys.

Well, at least you'll be safe out there, what with the cone on your head. You'll never have to worry about traffic, eh?

Here, have a cookie.
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:Well, at least you'll be safe out there, what with the cone on your head. You'll never have to worry about traffic, eh?

Here, have a cookie.

my wizard powers shall protect me.

and thanks for the cookie, we wizards love cookies.

*omnomnomnom*

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:10 am UTC

When I was stationed up in Alaska, I never made an effort to make friends outside work because I worked in a building with over 300 people.

When I got here, I discovered that my building only has about 15-20 people in it, so I ended up looking toward Reddit to make friends. I've made quite a few in the past year, and now I'm leaving. :(
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

aw im sorry to hear that.

its nice to keep in touch across the web though.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:36 am UTC

I just did the reading, grammar/vocab and first half of the writing sections of a past Test of Proficiency in Korean (TOPIK) exam, and got good enough marks that unless I completely screw up the listening section I'm guaranteed an upper level pass grade even if I just write '저는 물고기입니다' over and over for the essay portion of the writing section. So long as the actual exam isn't horrendous, I should get a level 2 Korean certificate in August.

Going up to level 3 is going to be a nightmare, though. The difficulty gap from 2 to 3 (and from 4 to 5) is much bigger than that from 1 to 2, 3 to 4, or 5 to 6. My original target was to take the level 3 exam in October, but I think I'm going to have to wait until the January one.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

i don't feel quite so crappy this morning about not having a social group now. good even. a natural balance of things has been restored.

cplns

Postby cplns » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

Got blood test results back today (been going to the doctor because I'm having really bad joint and muscle pain, joints locking up, muscle spasms and cramps severe enough that I can't move). Apparently I don't have RA or anything else autoimmune, which is what a lot of people thought. They still don't know what it is, but no autoimmune problems = awesome in my book.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

cplns wrote:Got blood test results back today (been going to the doctor because I'm having really bad joint and muscle pain, joints locking up, muscle spasms and cramps severe enough that I can't move). Apparently I don't have RA or anything else autoimmune, which is what a lot of people thought. They still don't know what it is, but no autoimmune problems = awesome in my book.

thats wonderful to hear :)

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:54 am UTC

First real day off in about six months - I built a box, fixed my wife's garden, made a quiver for my older daughter for archery, went swimming, made dinner, and had a good day :D
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

just got back from attending days 3 and 4 of anime expo, it was SO FUN.
im still on an emotional high from it all, i made so many friends its ridiculous. there something really comforting about knowing im never going to really be alone at least for a long while.

for the first time in my life, i feel truly accepted by people. its amazingly freeing.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

I got stung by a wasp for the first time today.

That might not sound awesome but it was actually a bit more exciting than that. I was cycling to the lab when I notice something coming towards my face. Because I was under some trees I thought it was just a bit of tree (lots of tree-bits keep falling in my face when I cycle). Turned out it was a wasp which bounced off my face and landed on my upper arm. Well, it didn't so much land and embed itself in. I stopped (rather suddenly) and spent a few seconds watching this wasp desperately try and pull its sting out of my skin. Eventually I needed to give it a hand but it lost its sting in the process leaving it behind in my arm like a bee.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:I got stung by a wasp for the first time today.
I've yet to be be stung by a flying insect despite what has to be hundreds of close encounters with them.

I got invited to a coworker's birthday party. Yay, people like me.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
I've yet to be be stung by a flying insect despite what has to be hundreds of close encounters with them.

maybe....did they pose it as "we'd like to have you for dinner" while having bones through their noses...cuz thems is cannibals dude
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:I got invited to a coworker's birthday party. Yay, people like me.

go get em tiger.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:49 am UTC

DSenette wrote:
Fire Brns wrote:

maybe....did they pose it as "we'd like to have you for dinner" while having bones through their noses...cuz thems is cannibals dude
Oh no! She asked me how old I was because there is going to be booze. They are going to marinate me!
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:52 am UTC

My copy of the Alhambra Big Box arrived today! I haven't opened it yet, but I can definitely confirm that it is large.
pollywog wrote:

Return to “General”