Most excellent times

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Carlington

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby Carlington » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

I finally went and fetched my electric guitar from my parents house, and discovered that it's a lot easier to record directly with my computer than I remembered! Woo! I've been warned that the high output impedance of the guitar will muddy the sound somewhat, since it's going straight into a microphone jack that has a preamp behind it, and obviously I'd get a much better sound with an amp, a cabinet, and a decent microphone - but for now, I can use my laptop as an effects pedal and direct that into Audacity, and record music without annoying the neighbours!
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

November was the first month I can remember, or have record for, that I drank fewer than one alcoholic drink per day. That is a good thing. I want to maintain that for December.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

roband

Postby roband » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

emceng wrote:November was the first month I can remember, or have record for, that I drank fewer than one alcoholic drink per day. That is a good thing. I want to maintain that for December.

See, I reckon I could do that. Up until Christmas day at least. The 30 I'd drink on that day wouldn't balance out too well.

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:I finally went and fetched my electric guitar from my parents house, and discovered that it's a lot easier to record directly with my computer than I remembered! Woo! I've been warned that the high output impedance of the guitar will muddy the sound somewhat, since it's going straight into a microphone jack that has a preamp behind it, and obviously I'd get a much better sound with an amp, a cabinet, and a decent microphone - but for now, I can use my laptop as an effects pedal and direct that into Audacity, and record music without annoying the neighbours!
Use the line input of your sound card if it has one, it'll clear up the tone and reduce noise significantly. Or if you want to spend money you can buy a direct input USB cable which costs like $10 at most.
she/her

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

I speed-wrote a paper, and it was GOOD! At least, for speed-writing standards.

I am super-awesomely productive when I go to the coffeeshop. I'm not sure why, but I waste a lot less time around the internet here than at home.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:23 am UTC

NieXS wrote:
Carlington wrote:I finally went and fetched my electric guitar from my parents house, and discovered that it's a lot easier to record directly with my computer than I remembered! Woo! I've been warned that the high output impedance of the guitar will muddy the sound somewhat, since it's going straight into a microphone jack that has a preamp behind it, and obviously I'd get a much better sound with an amp, a cabinet, and a decent microphone - but for now, I can use my laptop as an effects pedal and direct that into Audacity, and record music without annoying the neighbours!
Use the line input of your sound card if it has one, it'll clear up the tone and reduce noise significantly. Or if you want to spend money you can buy a direct input USB cable which costs like $10 at most.

Thanks for the advice! I don't have a line-in (at least, not unless it's masquerading as the mic jack) - and I couldn't find a decent USB direct input for less than $50 - maybe I wasn't looking hard enough?

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:40 am UTC

Carlington wrote:
NieXS wrote:
Thanks for the advice! I don't have a line-in (at least, not unless it's masquerading as the mic jack) - and I couldn't find a decent USB direct input for less than $50 - maybe I wasn't looking hard enough?
I guess I was a bit optimistic with my price guess :| Well, I have this cable here http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Bass-Cable ... itar+cable which according to the Amazon reviews is not great and has latency issues which I circumvent by using ASIO4All, but that has its own set of issues, one of them being that it uses your sound card exclusively and that it has sound quality issues sometimes, which might be a bigger inconvinence to you since you don't have a physical amp. And if you're looking for virtual amplification software I recommend you buy or otherwise obtain Peavey's Revalver.

This all assumes you use Windows, if you have OS X you'll probably experience less latency issues since its audio system is less of a clusterfuck than Windows'. YMMV though.
she/her

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:44 am UTC

I'm on Linux at the moment, and having quite a good time with Rakarrack and Jack. That cable does look like it could be very useful though, so thank you for that! I also do have a physical amp, but I live in a shared building, so disturbing the neighbours would be a problem.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

First day of vacation! Not going back to work until January 6th! First vacation I've taken this year!
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:First day of vacation! Not going back to work until January 6th! First vacation I've taken this year!

I'm off until January 3rd. 'Tis wonderful!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

roband

Postby roband » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

Where's the jealous thread?

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:22 pm UTC

amazing weekend!

rebuilt carb, overcoming some tricky confidence issues about my abilites.

hung out with, what are turning out to be the most amazing friends ever. (which is new for me.)

and discovered a new, cheap soda that is quite delicious. soda shaq

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:31 am UTC

Tokyo is going to get the world's first Kit-Kat speciality store.

This is unbelievably awesome :mrgreen:
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:33 am UTC

Suzaku wrote:Tokyo is going to get the world's first Kit-Kat speciality store.

Pity it's not at the spot in Harajuku where they have the Calbee+, Glico and ... whatever the third place was.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:22 pm UTC

Truly awesome!

I remember the dark times when they stopped selling Kit-Kat in Brazil. *shudder*. It's back now, since 2010 or 2011, I guess.

On the awesome note: my last two days at work were more productive than the last week and a half. So, maybe my vacations are not in so terrible danger.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:06 am UTC

I want to go there and just stock up on Green Tea Kit-Kat.

I had a small taste of that amazingness at a local convention. I want more!

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:40 pm UTC

The company I work at is re-organizing all spare material and equipment. Everything that's deemed useless to the company is being donated. Among the "useless" stuff, there were some blu-ray drives, which were given to employees who wanted them. Now I have a blu-ray drive! :mrgreen:

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:32 am UTC

Aleril wrote:

I want to go there and just stock up on Green Tea Kit-Kat.

I had a small taste of that amazingness at a local convention. I want more!

thats a curiosity in itself- if its so wildly popular (in other countries), why hasn't it been introduced to the mainstream united states market?

seems like passing up a quick buck (which is fantastic for business)

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:56 am UTC

Just ordered myself some custom converse; variation of the welsh flag theme. So excited for them to arrive! They're going to be my new weight lifting shoes/ summer fun shoes. Yay!
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:16 pm UTC

I actually had a lot of energy yesterday and was really motivated to do things, which was a nice change. It probably helped that it was sunny...

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:20 am UTC

I bumped into Matt Smith on Bourbon Street last Saturday and got to fistbump him. :D
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:01 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I bumped into Matt Smith on Bourbon Street last Saturday and got to fistbump him. :D

<swoons like a fangirl>

jealous! Did you get a selfie with him?
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:20 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:I bumped into Matt Smith on Bourbon Street last Saturday and got to fistbump him. :D

<swoons like a fangirl>

Nope, he and his companion were in a rush. My friends and I were on our way back to our hotel from a karaoke bar when he brushed my shoulder. I immediately recognized him and my friends and I went back to try to find him (he was really booking it). We only caught up to him because he momentarily stopped to look at his phone. I think he was trying to find a specific bar or something. We only had enough time to say hello and get the fistbumps in and then he was gone.

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:01 am UTC

I ran into Sandry the other day. Sandry is cool people.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:03 am UTC

Did you get a selfie with her?
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

The EGE

Postby The EGE » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:06 am UTC

I didn't - I was thirteen and four-ninths kinds of late.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:51 pm UTC

What made you decide not to pursue your dream of becoming a paleontologist?

The EGE wrote:I ran into Sandry the other day. Sandry is cool people.

Are you in this area? I haven't run into Sandry in frvrs.

Giant Speck wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:

<swoons like a fangirl>

Nope, he and his companion were in a rush. My friends and I were on our way back to our hotel from a karaoke bar when he brushed my shoulder. I immediately recognized him and my friends and I went back to try to find him (he was really booking it). We only caught up to him because he momentarily stopped to look at his phone. I think he was trying to find a specific bar or something. We only had enough time to say hello and get the fistbumps in and then he was gone.

Bourbon street Louisiana? Wonder what he was doing there. "Companion" tee hee.
I think if I met that man in person, he wouldn't have a face after.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:50 am UTC

He was there for the Wizard World comic con.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:50 pm UTC

talking online to a person i actually introduced myself to in person, which was somewhat hard considering normal, organic conversations are hard with people i do not know. but its going well! i think she may even like me. only time shall tell.

edit: also awesome, spoilered for the gun shy

Spoiler:
Got my new blackpowder revolver in the mail, and acquired powder, caps, and balls for it! will have to try this out soon.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:08 pm UTC

For some reason, there is now a small cartoon character in my head yelling "I WILL SHOOT MY BALLS AT YOU".
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:11 pm UTC

Does he have a big ginger mustache?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:24 pm UTC

He does now.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:24 am UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:edit: also awesome, spoilered for the gun shy

Spoiler:
Got my new blackpowder revolver in the mail, and acquired powder, caps, and balls for it! will have to try this out soon.
I'm not sure this is necessary, but I'll play along until told otherwise.
Spoiler:
My dad had one when he was a kid and said it was a lot of fun. He still has a couple, and a blackpowder rifle, but they haven't been taken to the range in ages.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:23 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
My dad had one when he was a kid and said it was a lot of fun. He still has a couple, and a blackpowder rifle, but they haven't been taken to the range in ages.

probably not necessary, but just to be polite
Spoiler:
someone in another thread had indicated their discomfort with such subjects.
also, "safe queens" make me sad.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

probably not necessary, but just to be polite
Spoiler:

poxic wrote:For some reason, there is now a small cartoon character in my head yelling "I WILL SHOOT MY BALLS AT YOU".

hehehehe

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:36 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
Spoiler:

Oh I know why you're doing it, I was in that convo.
Spoiler:
It's not an intentional safe queen. He just can't get ahold of the components to fire it like he used to. And living in NYS, who knows if he'll even be able to before too long. And he's been all about his customized 10/22 for the past few years. And I should stop starting sentences with "And." I should convince him to bring one of them to the range the next time I visit. I've actually never shot a blackpowder gun myself.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:43 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Oh I know why you're doing it, I was in that convo.
Spoiler:
It's not an intentional safe queen. He just can't get ahold of the components to fire it like he used to. And living in NYS, who knows if he'll even be able to before too long. And he's been all about his customized 10/22 for the past few years. And I should stop starting sentences with "And." I should convince him to bring one of them to the range the next time I visit. I've actually never shot a blackpowder gun myself.

Spoiler:
Curious, here in socal I was able to track the components down easily enough. they also have it on midwayusa, though the 25 dollar hazmat fee on a 10 dollar tin of caps is a royal B!#54

The EGE

Postby The EGE » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:31 am UTC

The EGE wrote:I ran into Sandry the other day. Sandry is cool people.

Are you in this area? I haven't run into Sandry in frvrs.[/quote]

Yep! I haven't frozen to death yet.

By pure chance I ended up seeing Flogging Molly tonight, and I accidentally ended up in the pit. I smell like beer and sweat, I have bruises all over, and my mind is free for the first time in weeks.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:29 pm UTC

The EGE wrote: Flogging Molly

OH.MY.GOD.

REALLY!?!?

they are fantastic!

The EGE

Postby The EGE » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:30 am UTC

Yeah, definitely one of the better shows I've been to. Very friendly crowd - intense as hell, but if you fall down they picked you up.

Return to “General”