Most excellent times

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby The EGE » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

As much as Borders going out of business sucks, cheap books are a win. I now have "The Big U" (very early Neal Stephenson, and until recently impossible to find), Burning Chrome (William Gibson short stories), Mona Lisa Overdrive (Gibson, novel), and Will Grayson will grayson (John Green).
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:25 pm UTC

LMFAO is awesome.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:17 am UTC

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:58 am UTC

I think I prefer Smooth Jazz Nyan Cat.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:39 am UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:I think I prefer Smooth Jazz Nyan Cat.

<3
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:49 am UTC

Because it should be done: play it all at once.

(forgot the original jazz track and the original post on reddit that told me to do this, but credit doesn't go to me)
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:51 pm UTC

existentialpanda wrote:Awesome: Nyan cat orchestral.

I love this. Some magic is taken away by it not being a "real" orchestra, but who cares? It's awesome! :D
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:56 am UTC

A friend lent me firefly entire series and serenity movie. I am starting to watch Bushwacked. Great show.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:52 am UTC

voicedotter wrote:A friend lent me firefly entire series and serenity movie. I am starting to watch Bushwacked. Great show.

You will make me want to watch the whole thing again.
To be fair, I'm unemployed, and there's not that much to watch...

Awesome: I have a working mobile phone again! I've been without since January/February time.
Now I get to text everyone to tell them I have a new number... :\
I mostly lurk. Hello.

The EGE

Postby The EGE » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

voicedotter wrote:A friend lent me firefly entire series and serenity movie. I am starting to watch Bushwacked. Great show.

Welcome to the cult! We have bao.

/jokeyou'llget3episodesfromnow

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:02 pm UTC

Internet shopping is awesome. Not for me, but I was talking to a very nice old lady the other day; she'd had a heart attack, so wasn't allowed to drive any more, and lived in a tiny village with no shops. She didn't have a computer, and all her family live abroad, so her family have been using internet shopping to get food and other essentials delivered to her house. She said that her fridge and freezer hadn't been so full for ages :D
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:00 pm UTC

I suppose it's alright for groceries because you can specify a time you know you'll be in, and the delivery guy has no excuse not to deliver. But just try and get non-consumables delivered. You have about 3 nanoseconds between hearing the barely audible tap at the door and the postman driving away. I swear, sometimes they've gone before the "you were out" card even hits the doormat. And that's if they even bother to come anywhere near your house in the first place and don't just update their tracking system to "card left" because they're too fucking lazy to drive their van down your street.

It's even more galling when it would have fit through the letterbox if only the seller had packaged it sensibly.

Sorry, this is supposed to be the awesome thread, not the rant thread. Shutting up now.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:09 pm UTC

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:13 pm UTC

I would hate to be in a crash on that thing.
Ⓞⓞ◯

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:52 pm UTC

That bike is pretty awesome, but it doesn't look very comfortable for riding.

I'd hate to crash on any motorcycle

Kang

Postby Kang » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:50 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I suppose it's alright for groceries because you can specify a time you know you'll be in, and the delivery guy has no excuse not to deliver. But just try and get non-consumables delivered. You have about 3 nanoseconds between hearing the barely audible tap at the door and the postman driving away. I swear, sometimes they've gone before the "you were out" card even hits the doormat. And that's if they even bother to come anywhere near your house in the first place and don't just update their tracking system to "card left" because they're too fucking lazy to drive their van down your street.

It's even more galling when it would have fit through the letterbox if only the seller had packaged it sensibly.

Sorry, this is supposed to be the awesome thread, not the rant thread. Shutting up now.

Your mileage may wary depending on location and indeed the very person doing the deliveries in your area.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

Huh. For me (in California, and I never really pay attention to which company it is), it seems that they either drop the box in front of the door, ring the bell, and leave; or toss it over the gate to the backyard and leave a sticker on the door. I don't know how they decide which one, but I don't think they've ever held a package if nobody was home... or waited to see if anybody was home, for that matter.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:07 am UTC

My country's browser share of IE is floating around 4~8% and IE 6 is less than 2%.

I CAN OFFICIALLY DROP LEGACY IE 6 SUPPORT YEAAAAAAH
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:44 am UTC

UPS always attempts to deliver the package before the postal service center down the road (which collects all the mail on this side of base and distributes it to all the dormitories) before it's even open, then doesn't attempt to deliver it again when the service center is open. Whenever I order something that has to be shipped using UPS, I have it sent to the UPS Store. I'd rather pay $5 extra to pick my package up at the UPS Store than have to chase it around town for two or three days.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Kang

Postby Kang » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:49 am UTC

I found it's not only down to which company does it, even the very person doing the rounds in your area is a factor. The driver for one company making fairly many deliveries to my parents' house for example collects all the shipments and only goes there on saturdays, because their deliveries usually aren't that urgent and saturday someone's home at least (of course he only does so because they asked him to). Not really part of valid company policy, though, I'm sure.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:52 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:UPS always attempts to deliver the package before the postal service center down the road (which collects all the mail on this side of base and distributes it to all the dormitories) before it's even open, then doesn't attempt to deliver it again when the service center is open. Whenever I order something that has to be shipped using UPS, I have it sent to the UPS Store. I'd rather pay $5 extra to pick my package up at the UPS Store than have to chase it around town for two or three days.

Wait, you have to pay extra for them not to deliver it? You have to pay for the privilege or picking it up yourself? What manner of bonkers is this?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

The EGE

Postby The EGE » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:33 pm UTC

Steax wrote:My country's browser share of IE is floating around 4~8% and IE 6 is less than 2%.

A woman I know works for a major pharmaceutical company. Her division has standardized on IE6 and looks to use it for several more years.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:26 pm UTC

The EGE wrote:
Steax wrote:My country's browser share of IE is floating around 4~8% and IE 6 is less than 2%.

A woman I know works for a major pharmaceutical company. Her division has standardized on IE6 and looks to use it for several more years.

I say we all drop support and let those people flood their tech support departments with help requests, and eventually they give in and find a way to install something sane. =(

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

Steax wrote:I say we all drop support and let those people flood their tech support departments with help requests, and eventually they give in and find a way to install something sane. =(
Who's "We" ?

People who are still on IE 6 generally aren't ignorant. They're using shit that hasn't been updated since 2002 or so. If the Mission Critical Web Application won't work in IE 7, 8 or 9, then.. you can't get away from 6 because it's sure as fuck not going to work right in Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari or another browser.

As for why they haven't updated the shit.... fuck, that's the question for the goddamn ages right there. Do you realize that right now.. RIGHT NOW.. there are still active NT Domains out there? Not even 2000. N fucking T. Because it's necessary for some Mission Critical Application that the developer has not updated to something modern.

But yeah.. generally speaking, people using IE 6 know it's out of date because it's not what they use at home. They just know that their software vendor has either instructed them or their IT department to not update from IE 6 because the application doesn't work in 7. And so they just keep right on trucking, day in, day out, year after year not because they don't want to update, but because they can't. Blame the vendors for not upgrading the shit, blame the bosses for not yelling at the vendors to update their shit, blame the vendors for not forcing the upgrade on the companies.. I don't know where to start. It all depends on who you think should be responsible...

Should the software vendor force companies to update hardware and software when they know that even if they drop support, the company will just keep using the old outdated system because it's cheaper as they don't need New Hardware and New Training?

Should the company yell at the Software Vendor for not updating their shit because the Software Vendor doesn't want to have more than two or three live versions of their software and the Vendor knows that some of their clients will essentially refuse to update?

Should computers be built with self-destruct devices that automatically fry the equipment after six years of use so as to force updating hardware?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

The whole system is just totally screwed, actually. I'm just trying to desperately hold on to the dream of not having to deal with IE 6 and it's shortcomings. Pretty please?

(Realistically speaking, of course, I'll still have to make things functional to an extent with old browsers. I might just toss them to the low-fidelity, responsive-actually-for-mobiles version instead of the modern swooshy version. But a guy can dream, right? After living this frikin nightmare of IE 6 support developing? /crawls away from chasm of darkness)

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:54 pm UTC

Yaaay! I'm registered for all of my courses! Including that astronomy course that I didn't think would fit in my schedule but does now anyway!
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:02 pm UTC

As an early wedding present, my grandparents have just given me ~£4,000!

Yay!

My Tuesday has been made!
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

Okay, just finished a week at a XC training camp. For some reason, I've learned, Ultimate Frisbee is to Cross Country as swearing is to sailors, so we had a tournament during our free time.

The two teams playing in the tourney (not mine, sadly) were having a pretty even match, with each side just swatting down everything on defense. One team had a particularly aggressive guy in particular - our rules are "arm's length" coverage and no roughing receivers, but he "accidentally" tackled a few people a few times.

Have you ever seen "Facing the Giants?" In one scene (the final game, I think), the QB takes on a malicious player on the other team by ducking down, taking out his legs and flipping the dude on his back. Well, that happened in the last two minutes of our tournament, and may I say, it looks AWESOME in real life. We all laughed about it, though.
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Wait, you have to pay extra for them not to deliver it? You have to pay for the privilege or picking it up yourself? What manner of bonkers is this?

Welcome to Freedomville.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

Lot of awesome today:

Harry Potter marathon (All films currently on DVD)
Sleepover
Hugs and cuddling
New books:
  • Feynman's QED
  • Hawking's The Nature of Space and Time
  • Dawkin's The Selfish Gene
  • Hofstadter's EGB
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:35 pm UTC

Won a 1000€ scholarship. Cool.

Also, healthcare is mostly covering getting new, metal teeth to replace my fucked up ones, AND killing the mushrooms that decided to my ears would be a nice place to live in. Fuck you, mushrooms *drops some antibiotics down there*.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:59 pm UTC

I switched ISP from BT to Andrews & Arnold today. I had trouble connecting, which turned out to be due to my router being broken, which is not awesome. But the tech support! I called and was immediately answered by a competent fleshling. And then later, at 11PM I was helped by an off duty employee on IRC, who was conversant with linux. It is like http://xkcd.com/806/ coming true.

Burgerman

Postby Burgerman » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:06 pm UTC

After a year of unsuccessful job searching, I have an Interview!! Its not a job yet, but its more than I've had! :mrgreen:

It's for the tech associate position at Staples. I'm not entirely sure what to expect, so if someone could give me a heads up as to what I'm getting into, I'd be very appreciative!

ExplodingHat

Postby ExplodingHat » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:03 am UTC

When basic physics knowledge, duct tape, and stuff lying around the house take the place of costly repair/replacement. :)
Some call it luck, I call it "subconscious planning".

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

ExplodingHat wrote:When basic physics knowledge, duct tape, and stuff lying around the house take the place of costly repair/replacement. :)

I made a soldering iron stand out of duct tape on Wednesday. People glanced askance at me, but I didn't set fire to anything.

Pandorly

Postby Pandorly » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:44 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I suppose it's alright for groceries because you can specify a time you know you'll be in, and the delivery guy has no excuse not to deliver. But just try and get non-consumables delivered. You have about 3 nanoseconds between hearing the barely audible tap at the door and the postman driving away. I swear, sometimes they've gone before the "you were out" card even hits the doormat.

http://xkcd.com/921/

An oldie but an awesomey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
'Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition(!!!).' - Adam Smith

GenericAnimeBoy

Postby GenericAnimeBoy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:I made a soldering iron stand out of duct tape on Wednesday. People glanced askance at me, but I didn't set fire to anything.

Do you have pictures? Because that is awesome indeed!
In light of the impermanence and absurdity of existence, I surmise that nothing is better for us than to rejoice and to do good in our lives, and that everyone should eat and drink and enjoy the good of his/her labor. Such enjoyment is a gift from God.

Exclusive Blend

Postby Exclusive Blend » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

Awesome:

-That feeling of complete muscle exhaustion after a long run in the heat.
-The cold shower after said run

Also.... cake
‎(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Go check out http://exclusiveblend.wordpress.com

‎(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:45 pm UTC

After failing a dozen would-be coworkers with fizzbuzz questions (I work in the web development industry), I ask, exhausted, a final candidate with the question "what would you put on a university website", and he gives me a blank expression for 5 seconds, before proceeding to answer "maps, course lists, calendars and contact information. Don't let me cheat with an xkcd question."

He breezed through the rest of the interview and we let him in that afternoon.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

GenericAnimeBoy wrote:
Ptolom wrote:I made a soldering iron stand out of duct tape on Wednesday. People glanced askance at me, but I didn't set fire to anything.

Do you have pictures? Because that is awesome indeed!

I'm afraid not; it was a spur of the moment type of thing and I didn't have a camera. It consisted of a loop of tape to tack down the end of the handle, and a cradle made from several layers to prop it up off the table.

Return to “General”