2009 XKCD Fora Secret Santa Gift Exchange!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cyberia

Re: 2009 XKCD Fora Secret Santa Gift Exchange!

Postby cyberia » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:32 am UTC

Meowgan wrote:Another cheap idea: Maybe include a CD with some of your favourite songs on it and some songs they may not have heard before.

Making mixtapes is dangerously close to giving someone pirated material, which is illegal and generally bulletin board hosts frown upon people advocating illegal behaviour.

From Wikipedia:

Spoiler:
One important distinction between homemade mixes and retail compilations of pop music is that the latter generally obtain permissions for the use of copyrighted songs, while the former do not. As a result, mixtapes such as those produced and sold by club DJs in the 1970s are illegal (although rarely, if ever, prosecuted) under the definition of fair use expressed in the Copyright Act of 1976.[citation needed] Most mixtape enthusiasts assume that private mixtapes are inoffensive from a fair use standpoint, but this is far from clear. An article in the New York Times cites Frank Creighton, a director of anti-copyright infringement efforts for the Recording Industry Association of America, as saying that "money did not have to be involved for copying to be illegal."[6] While mixes on cassette tapes may not have inspired the wrath of the record industry in the past, Mr. Creighton said, "digital mixes have better sound quality." And given the proliferation of CD burning for friends and relatives, "it would be naive of us to say that we should allow that type of activity", he said. Others have argued that the Audio Home Recording Act protects the noncommercial use of home recording devices.

But, yeah, it is a good idea. You could maybe make an online mixtape and then in your parcel include a link to it?
http://mixwidget.org/
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:53 am UTC

Okay, don't make a mixtape. But mixwidget is p cool.

All my other ideas involve knitting.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:51 pm UTC

Ok next question: What's the best gift you've ever given someone, and what made it so good?

I'm a walking zombie since I got about 2.5 hours of sleep last night... so I am going to have to think about this until I can post a coherent answer. (to my own question! ack!)
milk from space is good for you!

silent man

Postby silent man » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

User Name:silent man
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Always.
Hobbies: Reading (mostly SF), weaving (maille), rock climbing
Favourite Colour: dark blue/black
Favorite xkcd: Maybe one of these two
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: None I'm aware of.
Any other Pertinent Questions: What's the time frame for EPD* with the SuperSecretSanta thing? I'd gladly participate, but it may take some time to get stuff under way on short notice.

Adding to the helpful questions: Maybe people could post sizes/preferences for bracelets or necklaces? Just in case anybody plans to buy/make jewelery...

*Eergency Present Deployment

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

Spacemilk wrote:Ok next question: What's the best gift you've ever given someone, and what made it so good?

My mother is someone who tapes like...three shows at a time because theres all this tv she dosn't want to miss, but she's often busy.
She is constantly running out of blank tapes (Which are getting hard to find now) and a lot of times the tape runs out before the end of whatever movie she's watching.
So I got all my siblings and my dad to chip in and we all got her a TiVo and one year of service. She was a happy camper.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

Not sure. I like the gifts which sort of find themselves. like when I got the idea to get my mom a DS to play Sudoku. or when I got my dad Watchmen. Or when I get things for my sister months in advance.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

Spacemilk wrote:Ok next question: What's the best gift you've ever given someone, and what made it so good?

I'm a walking zombie since I got about 2.5 hours of sleep last night... so I am going to have to think about this until I can post a coherent answer. (to my own question! ack!)
My mom never got jewelry ever. My father wasn't the type to get any for her...some issues going on there (money was not a problem, it was more he felt she didn't deserve anything nice/pretty). But anyway, first Christmas after their divorce, I bought her dark opal earings to go with an old ring she loved. She cried for 10 minutes. ^.^
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:17 am UTC

I'm interested, but I'm afraid I don't have any money to spend. Still have plenty of stuff lying around to make assorted crafts and plushies and whatnot, though.

User Name: FyreNWater
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: As long as it's SFW, sure.
Hobbies: I love art, especially digital painting. I'm a huge Nintendork and am obsessed with Mario RPGs. I collect keychains *hinthint*. I love science-y/nerdy toys and puzzles. Some fave animals of mine: cuttlefish, ravens, kitties, fluffy dogs, chameleons, sharks.
Favorite Color: Blues, especially pale blue, but not sky blue. I'm a sucker for anything black with pale pink highlights.
Favorite xkcd: It's a tie between Cat Proximity and Outreach.
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: No food allergies. Allergic to pretty much all metal jewelry 'sides gold. (Please don't spend that much!) Ears not pierced. I don't wear rings, but necklaces and bracelets are okay. I don't wear leather.
Any other Pertinent Questions: No clothes or food, please. I would love something you can tell a cool story about, not just "Oh, someone bought this from [store]."

Best gift received: Tie between my laptop & a big ol' bucket of LEGOs. Computers are great, but few things can compete with the magic of LEGOs...
Best gift given: Some friends and I made a smallish trebuchet for my friend, then we launched pinecones all day. I don't think I need to explain the awesomeness of receiving your very own personal trebuchet. :D
Last edited by fyrenwater on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
...It made more sense in my head.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:02 am UTC

Best gift received: Well, I don't really remember much in terms of childhood presents. But in more recent times, I'd say it was probably this really, really nice letter and crocheted hat (and some other stuff which only made sense in the context of the letter) that It Should Be Real sent me. This wasn't exactly a "present," per se, but it was probably the nicest thing I've received from anyone in more recent times.

Best given: I can barely remember any times when I gave people presents. Which is making me feel like a greedy bastard. And the times that I did give gifts that I remember weren't all that amazing. So I'll have to pass on this one. :oops:
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:09 am UTC

Anyone who hasn't sent me their address yet, you've been PMed. Signups close midnight, 16 NOVEMBER, UTC!

I think we should all aim to send our packages by the 1st of December, what do you think?
We have always been at war with Eurasia.
Last edited by LL Cool J on Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:38 am UTC

She means the 16th of November. Also send Jess your address, you lazy bastard.

The best gift I gave, hmmm. I haven't actually given it yet. Two of my friends are getting married in 3 weeks and I'm working on a blanket for them. This blanket is crocheted, I started it in January. Countless hours have gone into it. It's a TARDIS blue and cream blanket with the seal of Rassilon (It's a Doctor Who thing) on it. Both halves of the couple are massive Whovians.

So yeah, that's the best present I've ever given or been close to giving.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

Best gift ever given? I'm actually working on a blanket for friends who got married also, turns out a 2 months to complete a ginormous blanket is over-ambitious, if one wants to be able to do anything besides knit during those two months. Although since it's not actually given, yet, it's probably the fraternity letters shirt I made for an ex-boyfriend. Looked fantastic when it was finished, and he loved it.

do{<3}while(1);

Postby do{<3}while(1); » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:50 pm UTC

Best gift given: Hmm.. Probably the personalized duct tape wallets I made for my two best friends in HS. They were super cool. I really want to do this for someone; I'm shooting for one of my friend's weddings this summer. Should be awesome.

reishka

Postby reishka » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:00 pm UTC

Best gift ever given: This is gonna sound cheesy, but the best ever given... was me.

A long time ago, before Boy and I lived together, I lived in Tejas and he lived in Connecticut. We only saw each other maybe once a year because of air travel and money, blah blah blah. The year he turned 18 he decided to do a shindig over the weekend at his house.

One of his friends and I were really close, and thusly we hatched a plan: I was to fly up to Massachusetts (where she lives) and she would pick me up at the airport; then, we'd drive down to Boy's place together and surprise him!

When we got there, it was hilarious. We showed up a few hours before everyone else was supposed to get there, and at first Boy completely ignored me. We came up the driveway and Boy came out to greet us. She got out of the car first, came around to the passenger side as I was getting out of the car. Boy went and hugged her and pretty much pointedly ignored me for a full two minutes (maybe he just didn't notice she brought someone? To this day we still don't know what he was thinking). Then, she was like, "hey, I brought someone," and he actually looked at me...

And he just stared with his mouth open. For a full on minute. He just stared and then he became so giddy (it was hilarious). He practically tackled me with a hug and then he was like "what the hell are you doing here!?".

It was epic. Truly epic.

Skythe

Postby Skythe » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:32 pm UTC

What was your favorite present as a child, and why?
Have to say my gameboy color. I grew up when Poke'mon was very popular so I played poke'mon in every waking hour. I kept stealing AA batteries from other appliances in my house to feed my growing poke'mon addiction. Now the console is broken and I lent my games to my friends, which were never returned. RIP Sparrow, my good friend. :P

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:06 am UTC

In all honesty, best gift ever given, i was told, was to my (ex)wife, and was rather.... explicit...

So unless someone would enjoy receiving...

Spoiler:
Actually, I'm just a dick.

*Trigger warning, bad sense of humor, will offend many

I altered your spoiler - not funny. please don't attempt humour in the future. it just doesn't really seem you.

~Felstaff
Last edited by scrovak on Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:21 am UTC

You might want to spoil that for triggering...
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:26 am UTC

I think the best gift I ever gave was when two of my friends got married. In one big box there were: Super Paper Mario for the Wii, a giant bag of plastic pirates, and 2 Mountain Dews.

I got an awesome thank-you letter for that.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

Lizabeff

Postby Lizabeff » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:50 am UTC

I feel kinda cheeky/rude putting my name in here as I don't exactly have the highest of post counts...
But I'm perfectly happy to send off things even if you don't want to send stuff to me :D

User Name: Lizabeff
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Yes/Definitely Yes.
Hobbies: Reading, Computer-ing, Learning about things :D
Favourite Colour: Naturey/Earthy colours
Favorite xkcd: 252
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: I'm vegetarian (Including fish and gelatine), and possibly allergic to certain types of margarine (this is only possibly as this is not definitely the cause, and it is not serious whatsoever, jusst a bit rashy.)
Any other Pertinent Questions: I like lots of pretty, not so delicate jewellery, handmade things and unusual stuff that will make me smile.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:54 am UTC

Best gift ever given: Lolsaur says it was the lego Darth Vader's tie fighter that I got him for his birthday this year. I'm having trouble thinking of anything better. Maybe the year I gave my sister a keyboard stand for her birthday and she opened it and was like "Why are you giving me this? I don't have a keyboard" and dad said "oh! Wait, there's another present upstairs we forgot to bring down" and took down a keyboard for her. She was very happy.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:19 am UTC

I hope I make the deadline, as this sounds super-fun.

User Name: Wolf
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Yeah. If it's too crazy (aka NSFW), if the crazy packaging could be put in a boring box, it would be appreciated (because this is going to the main office of my University-run housing).
Hobbies: I enjoy drawing, writing, video games, and screwing around on my computer. An original list, I know. I tend to play games on the PC and prefer RPGs. I say I write but I mostly just do NaNoWriMo every year and write sci-fi.
Favorite Color: Greens, especially dark forest-green colors.
Favorite xkcd: Probably http://xkcd.com/349/.
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: I don't have any allergies I can think of.
Any other Pertinent Questions: Home-made and hand-made things of all sorts make me a happy camper. I also have an irrational love for older things (think the 1920's to the 1950's), and for things crafted out of nice wood, especially boxes. Also, if you're thinking of jewelery, please keep in mind that I'm male and thus probably won't wear extremely feminine jewelery (although I'll definitely appreciate the thought). (Aka pendants and such are fine, but please no dangly earrings.)

Best gift received: The money that let me build a new desktop PC last year. I absolutely *love* building new gaming systems.
Best gift given: Probably the desktop I put together for a friend for $14 and a favor. I got the case, motherboard, processor, and RAM from a demonstration PC that was used in a Boy Scouts merit badge class I was in, the hard drive for helping a friend back up his data, and the monitor (a 20-inch CRT beast) and keyboard/mouse for the aforementioned $14 on Craigslist. It was fun to find all the parts and she absolutely loved it.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:26 am UTC

Wolf wrote:I hope I make the deadline, as this sounds super-fun.

I believe there's still about 17.5 hours left now, so you made it. =)

(Avatar by Sungura)

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:42 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:
Wolf wrote:I hope I make the deadline, as this sounds super-fun.

I believe there's still about 17.5 hours left now, so you made it. =)

Awesome. = D

I always get confused when GMT gets in the mix. And the idea of "midnight." (Because a lot of people consider it the end of that particular day, but if you say "Midnight Monday" to me, I always think it's due the very start of Monday (at 12 A.M.).)
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:56 am UTC

Well to be honest, I'm not sure which midnight they meant, but assumed the end of the day one. In any case, even if it was meant to be the beginning one, I'm sure you'll still be allowed in. The point of the date was so that we could get our people early enough to actually make/buy our gifts. Letting someone in who happened to sign up a few hours late doesn't hurt anyone.

(Oh, and UTC is currently our time +8 hours)

(Avatar by Sungura)

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:06 am UTC

A penguin! It was a realistic looking penguin plush toy, which made penguin noises when you squeezed it (no batteries or anything, just cleverly utilised airflow). But the best thing about that gift was wrapping it - I wrapped it as a penguin, beak, wings, and all, producing a penguin-shaped present. It was just completely absurd and so much fun!
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:35 pm UTC

dragon wrote:

A penguin! It was a realistic looking penguin plush toy, which made penguin noises when you squeezed it (no batteries or anything, just cleverly utilised airflow). But the best thing about that gift was wrapping it - I wrapped it as a penguin, beak, wings, and all, producing a penguin-shaped present. It was just completely absurd and so much fun!

Heart pen-goo-ins.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

Oh my goose I haven't even signed up yet myself... here goes!

User Name: Spacemilk
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: Heck yes! Er, but please mostly SFW - it will likely go through the main office of my apartment complex!
Hobbies: knitting, baking, watching movies and certain TV shows (BSG is one particular fav), WoW, ultimate frisbee, flag football, reading webcomics, and most of all, reading! I love music (I played the piano for about 15 years) and I love all kinds of music.
Favourite Colour: yellow (but NOT gold) and green are very much tied.
Favorite xkcd:
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: My ears are pierced but at one time they got irritated by nickel-based metals - I also once had a little irritation to a nickel-based necklace. (I do love jewelry though, particularly necklaces!) Otherwise I have no allergies.
Any other Pertinent Questions: Well hopefully I don't have any questions...!
And I will be a Super Secret Santa.

Thanks so much to everyone who signed up, especially big thanks to the Super Secret Santas! I'm looking forward to this, it should be a lot of fun!

Please note that once you have your assignment, feel free to ask generally-directed questions to the thread that may not have been covered in the original post. Hopefully your person will respond - just be careful not to ask too specific of a question or they might figure it out! This should get some good dialogue going so people can learn more without betraying who they have! :)

EDIT: IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THIS THREAD, DOUBLE CHECK THE OP TO MAKE SURE YOUR NAME IS UNDER THE SPOILERS AT THE END OF THE POST. ALSO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PM'D __JESS!!!!

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:54 am UTC

*listens to Spacemilk, ensures is on The List*

Yay! I'm excited!!

Best gift I've ever given someone? It's a tie between two. One is the camera I gave my family last Chirstmas. It was something that I invested a lot of time/effort into shopping for, charged the battery the night before, and had ready-to-go so Christmas morning could be captured, since their old camera had died. The other was one of those nice pen/pencil sets (what do you call those things?) for my mom. Everyone in her family but her had been given one when they graduated, with a sort of "You don't need one, you're not going anywhere, you'll never use it" line of thought. It was honestly kind of a cheap present - I think I saved my allowance for a couple weeks for it - but it brought her to tears.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

Can we register a sockpuppet to directly ask questions about the gift?
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Lizabeff

Postby Lizabeff » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:49 pm UTC

Yes :D
That is actually a pretty good idea

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:50 pm UTC

When will we get the names?
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:53 pm UTC

We can even just have one username for that and people can all use it together, to be more ambiguous.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:43 pm UTC

All names have been sent.
If you haven't got your Secret Santa now, PM me!

I told everyone in the PMs to mail any questions to me and I can pass it on to whoever, but kernelpanic's suggestion might work better, up to you all.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:46 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:We can even just have one username for that and people can all use it together, to be more ambiguous.
hmm...depends on how often everyone checks the thread? Also, we may have to direct the questions to the person we're being a santa for, as open questions may not be answered by everyone, if that makes any sense?
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Two9A

Postby Two9A » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:18 pm UTC

On a somewhat related topic, would it be recommended/required/expected for a quick note to be sent inside the Santa parcel, denoting who sent it? (May ruin the "Secret" bit somewhat, which is why I ask.)
The Unofficial "Making xkcd Slightly Worse" Archive [Incomplete]: xkcdsw.com
Articles that fall out of my head about once a month: imrannazar.com

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

Two9A wrote:On a somewhat related topic, would it be recommended/required/expected for a quick note to be sent inside the Santa parcel, denoting who sent it? (May ruin the "Secret" bit somewhat, which is why I ask.)

This is up to you. I left this open in the OP - you can choose how you would like to reveal yourself. You can either include a note in the package, send a message or make a post in this thread, or ask that one of the Santa admins reveals it (not sure why you'd want to do this, but hey, it's an option!).

Personally I think I will probably include a note in the package. :D

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:51 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:We can even just have one username for that and people can all use it together, to be more ambiguous.

But who registers it? 'cause you need an email address.

Question: If you like programming, what languages? would you like to learn a new one?
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:07 am UTC

Here's a few preference questions for everyone:

Chocolate: White, Milk or Dark

Beverages: Coffee, Tea, or Other (specify)

Patterns: Striped, checked, argyle or other/none (specify)

Food Preferences: Big sweet tooth, medium sweet tooth, or don't like sweets much.
Rice Puddin.

reishka

Postby reishka » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:28 am UTC

Programming: Plz no. I dabble in programming, but I haven't sought after it on my own in a long time.

Chocolate: Any kinda - I love all sorts of chocolate. Spicy chocolate (such as chili chocolate) or chocolate with fruit (orange or coconut chocolate) are my absolute fave!
Beverages: Flavoured coffee is best - hazelnut, pumpkin, raspberry. For tea, chai is lovely.
Food Preferences: Medium sweet tooth. I love sweet things, but I can only tolerate little bits at a time.
Patterns: I dig stripey things if there has to be a pattern, but I prefer solids (unless it socks. Socks can be stripey)

Alcohol: I cook with alcohol - don't have much use for drinking it anymore, though I take pleasure in trying speciality alcohols.
Favourite animal: Dragonflies! And butterflies. And kittens. And puppies.

Favourite movie you own: It's a tie between The Red Violin and Serenity.

Goo probability: Unlikely. It's currently 33*F outside, not exactly melting weather.

Favourite shape/motif: Polka dots. But not really tiny ones that make you cross-eyed. Medium size is best. And cherries. Also, I love earthtones - rich/warm browns, mochas, cream, hunter green, forest green, sage, etc etc.
Favourite mythical creature: Not really a creature, but the yggdrasil is nice. If it HAS to be a creature then... a griffin? Maybe. I don't really know.

Favourite way to accessorise: Hair scrunchies, hair clips. Ones that are good for thick hair. Nail polish.

Favorite scientific discipline: Chemisty.

Favorite authors/genres? Currently obsessed with K.J. Parker, Karen Miller, C.S. Friedman, Joe Abercrombie, and Brent Weeks. I tend to like Fantasy novels, but those that are fairly grounded in realism. I don't like anything with crazy names that you spend more time trying to figure out how to pronounce (or pronouncing it differently every time you see it) than you do reading the book.
Favourite TV Show House, Castle, Mythbusters, Bones, Fringe, Dollhouse, Flash Forward, Firefly, The Daily Show, 花ざかりの君たちへ、グレート ティーチャー オニヅカ(GTO)
Do you collect anything? Decks of playing cards.

Video Games? Yes, plz. I have much love for puzzle games and music games. Katamari, Puzzlequest, Animal Crossing, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan are major love.

Any boardgames you like? Scrabble! And Cranium.

What are your music preferences? Last.fm profile
Last edited by reishka on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:22 pm UTC, edited 6 times in total.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:30 am UTC

Chocolate Dark, very dark
Coffee Coffee, preferably dark & strong. Although then I put milk in it...
Pattern Stripes or argyles.
Sweets Medium sweet tooth, combinations of peppermint & chocolate or peanut butter & chocolate especially.
Alcohol Beer, of the craft brew variety; rum, and I don't drink nearly enough wine to have reasonable opinions on it.
Food Love to eat, love to cook, will try pretty much anything once. No food allergies, so homebaked things would definitely be appreciated.
Animal Cats of all varieties, I would totally love being sent a bobcat, although I don't think the USPS would be appreciative.
Movies Not the biggest movie person, and between my own collection & my parents' collection, I have quite a lot.
Goo probability Highly unlikely, much more probably for liquids to freeze.
Shape/motif Fractals are pretty awesome. Also, swirls of most varieties.
Mythical creature
Accessory Pretty much exclusively earrings, I have eight holes between my two ears, and I'm a big fan of mixing & matching. Studs, hoops and small/light danglies... anything I can leave in & not think about.
Science Biology all the way.
Books Oh, god yes, I read pretty much anything/everything (an ex once accused me of having indiscriminate tastes in reading material).
TV Bones & House are pretty much it for my serious TV watching
Collections Aside from my large collection of books, and my ever-expanding stash of knitting needles & yarn, not really.
Videogames Nope
Boardgames? Scrabble, and me & my roommates got pretty into SPANC and Munchkin Booty! (Steve Jackson games) last year.
Last edited by semicharmed on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”