2009 XKCD Fora Secret Santa Gift Exchange!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Azrael001

Re: 2009 XKCD Fora Secret Santa Gift Exchange!

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:37 am UTC

Chocolate: Milk

Beverages: Tea (Earl Grey is best, but others are also good), or apple cider

Patterns: other/none. I don't like most patterns, and prefer solid colours

Food Preferences: Big sweet tooth.

reishka

Postby reishka » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:41 am UTC

Question:

Alcohol. Yes? No? What kinds?
Favourite kind of animal?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:50 am UTC

Chocolate: I like all kinds, but avoid chocolate with fillings. (I'll be allergic to most of them. It doesn't have to be certified nut-free or anything, though.)
Coffee: Any kind.
Pattern: Not picky.
Sweets: Probably best avoided (except chocolate-sans-filling), because of the allergy potential.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:59 am UTC

Answers spoilered for long
Spoiler:
Chocolate: I like milk best. I have to be in the right mood for dark chocolate and white chocolate is too sweet for me

Drinks: I'm not a fan of hot drinks - Not even tea.

Patterns: I like all patterns. Especially stripy patterns and bright patterns.

Sweet tooth: I like sweets. A lot. That is probably what I would live off of if it wouldn't rot my teeth away. I prefer non chocolate sweets to chocolate ones mostly at the moment. I can also eat gelatine again, so that makes me happy.

Alcohol: Yes but I'm not a huge fan (I prefer alcohol that doesn't taste very alcoholic...)

Favourite animal: Panda! I have a panda hat. It makes me smile. Baby pandas also make me smile. The fact that there are stupid people who forget that pandas are bears and try to climb in enclosures with them makes me laugh (but only if nobody was seriously injured... Then it makes me laugh and then feel bad or just sit in shock wondering how people are so stupid).

Programming: Not unless you count using visual basics in standard grade computing...

Favourite movie: Probably the Lion King (I can pretty much recite it word for word along with the film). Also The Dark Knight, Amelie, Moulin Rouge, The Princess Bride, Serenity, He Loves Me He Loves Me Not, Mulan, The Shining, Dr Horrible's Sing-A-Long-Blog, The Rocky Horror Picture Show. In no particular order.

Melting likelihood: Extremely low. It's Scotland. In the winter.

Favourite shape/motif: Anything interesting (does the triforce count? I am kind of Zelda fangirling in my wait for the next Zelda ds game)

Favourite mythical creature: Dragons. Or unicorns. Or Mermaids. Or Pegasus. Something along those lines probably...

Favourite way to accessorise: I wear a lot of bracelets. Also hats. I like hats a lot.

Favourite scientific discipline: Biology? I guess? It's the only one I studied for any particular amount of time and sometimes I still wish I had done something with genetics because I find that really interesting.

Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? Most things by Stephen King, Most things by Chuck Palahnuik (with the exception of Snuff and Pygmy), Most Batman graphic novels. I'm also open to reading other horror/weird things. I don't read as much as I should though.

What television shows do you like to watch? I don't watch much TV but I have every episode of Green Wing on dvd because it makes me laugh. A lot.

Do you collect anything? Batman stuff? I guess. I don't really mean to collect it but I seem to have more of it every time I check.

Video games: I really enjoy Zelda games and I've recently been very addicted to Chrono trigger.

Board Games: I'm not very good at them, but they're really fun. My biggest problem is not so many people to play them with.

T shirt size - generally small (women's or men's) or a uk size 8 (us size 4)

Music - Pretty much anything. Mostly I like kind of pop punky stuff, but I do like lots of random stuff too (my ipod has a very good mix of everything from rock to dance to pop to classical).
Last edited by Teapot on Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:24 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Skythe

Postby Skythe » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:11 am UTC

Chocolate: White, Milk or Dark Milk

Beverages: Coffee, Tea, or Other (specify) Jones Soda...or coffee

Patterns: Striped, checked, argyle or other/none (specify)None.

Food Preferences: Anything gamey ('cept ostrich because it gives me hives). It's pretty expensive so don't even bother unless you have some lying around.

Alcohol: Not old enough >.>

Favorite animal Panther. RAWR

Melting likelihood: Fairly low.[/b] Naw

Favorite shape/motif: Not the circle, since I read Siddhartha :(

Favorite mythical creature: Griffin or Werewolf

Favorite way to accessorize: SCARRRRRVES.

Favorite scientific discipline: Biology.

Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? Sci Fi/Fantasy. I really don't own much books, but I do read a lot. Some of my favorites: The Phantom Tollbooth, Ender's Game, Holes, Harry Potter Series, Hunger Games, Eragon.

What television shows do you like to watch?[/b] Futurama, X Files, Bones, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly

Do you collect anything? Not intentionally. I seem to be building up a steady supply of US Army window stickers, and I don't know how they get there.

----
Another question: Favorite movie you own?
Last edited by Skythe on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:16 am UTC

Chocolate: Dark

Beverages: Tea--particularly spicy teas like Chai

Patterns:Argyle all the way.

Food Preferences: Medium sweet tooth.

Alcohol: Rum mmm

Favorite animal: Penguin

Favorite movie I own: Not sure I own any movies right now, I tend gto borrow them from friends. I like John Hughes movies though--if i owned a movie it would probably be one of those.

Melting likelihood: Very low. Higher chance that it will get dropped into a snowdrift and lost...

Favorite shape/motif: Spare floral patterns or geometic patterns, or both. Think woodcut styles or stamps.

Favorite mythical creature: the Pushmepullyou

Favorite way to accessorize: Necklaces or scarves.

Favorite scientific discipline: Not a Scientist, I like the history of science--big fan of James Burke

Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? I read lots, I like soft sci fi, fantasy, and lots of canonical works of literature

What television shows do you like to watch? Right now? Glee

Do you collect anything? Some manga series, bento supplies.

Board games: Settlers of Catan

Music: Swing Era Jazz, the Beatles, the Yardbirds, girl groups from the 60s--say Ronettes, Supremes, etc., lots of 90s alt rock and rock, David Bowie

Food: Gluten intolerant---mostly food is a bad idea.

T-shirt Size: Usually a women's M or L, unless it's american apparel--then I need XL. Hm don't like men's cut t-shirts, they sit wrong. Um, maybe don't try on the t-shirt front, unless it's an american apparel shirt that I'm positive of my size in.
Last edited by Rinsaikeru on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:58 am UTC, edited 5 times in total.
Rice Puddin.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:44 am UTC

Chocolate: Milk or Dark

Beverages: Water, squirt

Patterns: none

Food Preferences: I really like candy.

Alcohol: It would be illegal to supply alcohol to me. (yes)

Favorite Animal: Penguin.

300th post!
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:47 am UTC

Chocolate: White or Milk. But I wouldn't send it through the mail at this time of year, it's too hot.
Beverages: Coffee. Black, chai and fruit teas
Patterns: Hmm, tartan I guess. Nothing with lots of small spots or stripes they make my eyes x_x
Food Preferences: Medium sweet tooth. Don't like hard candy though.
Alcohol: No, I do drink but it'd sit in the cupboard for ages waiting for an occasion. Don't send any.
Favourite kind of animal: Snow leopards :3
Favourite movie: So unoriginal, but probably LOTR
Goo probability: High, don't send anything likely to melt.
Favourite shape/motif: Stars, wings/feathers
Favourite mythical creature: ....pokemon? Sea Snake/leviathan things, phoenixes
Favourite way to accessorise: Hair clips, ties, headbands
Programming: A bit of C, but I don't have a nack for it. Don't send me anything to do with it please
favourite scientific discipline: Nanotechnology oddly enough. Got a double major in Physics and Chem so either.
Do you like to read: Yeah, wish I had more time though. Fantasy mostly. Robin Hobb is probably my favourite.
TV shows: Lost, Stargate (though I'm not big on universe), Doctor Who, various anime
Collect anything: No, not really
Board games: Only when I baby sit :P
Video Games: RPGs (FF series, pokemon etc), Tactics (Disgaea type things), Puzzle, Strategy
T-Shirt Size: Small-Medium Adult Female

Additional question:
Likely hood of anything sent through the mail melting into a pile of goo?
(Should be taken into account when sending to the southern hemisphere.)
Favourite shape/motif: for if you like things with hearts, stars, wings, feathers, crescent moon etc
Last edited by Senefen on Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:38 am UTC, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:53 am UTC

Chocolate: White, Milk or Dark I tend towards dark, but I don't like anything more than 75%

Beverages: Coffee, Tea, or Other (specify) Lemonaid (American version, gosh I learned that the hard way when I visited England, giving me this carbonated lemon stuff, ewww), green teas or teas in general but I tend away from things like earl gray and black teas.

Patterns: Striped, checked, argyle or other/none (specify) Anything funky and colorful and fun.

Food Preferences: Mmm anything. I found Indian food few years back, omnomnom. I really like almost everything

Alcohol: Never had any, but if I were to try some apparently cider (this time, english version!) is good, or I'd be interested in something like a strawberry daquiri. Even being around open beers gives me a migraine so something about beer is just >_<

Favorite animal Any of them!! I love animals...favorites would be dolphins (pacific whitesided), whales (orcas and humpbacks), rabbits (duh), tigers

Favorite movie you own? I really like the Bourne series and also the Oceans 11/12/13

Likely hood of anything sent through the mail melting into a pile of goo?
Haha, I live in MI, it is winter! Um...likelyhood of ariveing totally frozen? High!

Favourite shape/motif: I enjoy geometric designs that have something mathy about them. I love the different knots, for example. My favourite knot is 945 because it looks like a heart entwined with infinity.

Favourite way to accessorise: I...suck at accessorizing.

Programming: I know a bit of html/css that sort of thing for websites, not enough to be that good, and it's not a major thing.

Do you like to read? Yes, but I rarely get the time. I am working on reading In Search of Schrodinger's Cat. I'd like to read "Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman" but I don't have it.

What television shows do you like to watch?: NCIS (original one), The Mentalist, Psych, Dancing with the Stars

Video Games?: I suck at them, but I can race MarioKart pretty good - the one that was with the N64. This newer stuff...not so much. I think once games went 3D my brain went "heck no".

Scientific discipline: Do i have to choose? Biochemistry, Organic Chem, Physical Chemistry, Neurology

Do you collect anything Always have space for rabbit trinkets.

T-shirt size: Umm, wow. Unisex stuff usually a large, and women's department, XL.

_____
NEW QUESTION
What is your favourite mythical creature? Dragons, but not dark scary ones, more like the oriental type (if that makes sense)

ALSO: SUGGESTION: so that we don't have to keep looking at mutliple posts from people, as more questions are added, maybe edit your first post? I think that would be easier and keep track better than having to sift through a bazzilion answer posts for one person's here and there answer. It'd be easier to have it in one place, I think.
Last edited by Sungura on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:55 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:52 am UTC

Programming: Wellll.... I don't. So I guess this question wasn't for me!
Chocolate: Dark > Milk >>>> White. I am not a big fan of white chocolate but I LOVE dark and milk.
Beverages: I love coffee and tea, I drink a cup or two of each a day. I also like juices. Hmmm... big milk fan (teehee can't you tell from the name) but I'm not sure how well that would ship.
Patterns: Argyle > Checked = Striped. But the difference depicted by the '>' is pretty small.
Food preference: I have a medium sweet tooth - when I want sweets, I crave them badly, but I don't crave them often, and I don't eat very much. So if you send sweets you don't have to send a lot to make me happy!
Alcohol: Yes. As far as what kind - I'm not terribly picky but I generally drink gin. Rum is also a favorite.
Favorite kind of animal: Oooh tough one. A better question is, which kind of animal ISN'T my favorite, in which case I'd say mosquitoes if they count. Ok but seriously - I guess cats? I'm a huge LOLcat fan, I read icanhascheezburger frequently. But I also like every single animal everyone has listed so far.
Favorite movie I own: I don't own many movies, but it's a tie between "Casablance" and "Cool Hand Luke".
Melting likelihood: Pretty likely, I think, if it melts easily.
Favorite shape/motif: Stars, I think.
Favorite mythical creature: Dragons, probably, they're so cool! And I'm gonna be girly and say unicorns too.
Favorite way to accessorize: Necklaces!
Favorite game/video game: Favorite board game is Rummikub, although my SO has recently gotten me re-interested in Scrabble. For video games, I play(ed) World of Warcraft, haven't recently though. I do own a SNES and my favorite game to play is Super Mario World!
Favorite scientific discipline: I'm a chemical engineer, so I SHOULD say chemistry, but I find psychology fascinating to study as an armchair scientist, hehe.
Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? Oh my yes! I own a Kindle and I use it on a daily basis. My favorite author is Terry Pratchett, and I love to read sci-fi/fantasy primarily. I will admit I have gotten myself shamefully addicted to the cash hog that is the Wheel of Time series and I'm barely restraining myself from plunking down the extra cash to buy the hardcover version.
What television shows do you like to watch? Battlestar Galactica! I'm also very slowly working my way through Buffy the Vampire Slayer, since I never watched it as a kid, and I love it.
Do you collect anything? Hmmm, not really - baking recipes, maybe, haha! I like to get souvenirs when I travel. As a kid I used to collect coins from different countries, haven't done that in a while. I'm already a pack rat, actually having a dedicated collection of something might kill me!
______

Also I like Sungura's idea of editing former posts to add in new questions.

New question: What's your favorite way to accessorize? A cute hat, a necklace, a ring, a scarf?
Last edited by Spacemilk on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
milk from space is good for you!

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:18 am UTC

Some of my preferences, with a few other categories added:

Chocolate: Dark or Milk, preferably nothing extra added, although I wouldn't say no to peanut butter added to said chocolate

Beverages: Iced tea, sweetened, nothing else added, or Coke

Patterns: plaid or checked, dark/cool colors (green, blue, purple, black)

Food Preferences: Somewhat of a sweet tooth, depends on the sweet. Huge fan of pastries and chocolate.

Movie preferences: Mainly non-slasher horror (a la "The Others", which I already have), some family films, classic films, animated films, and classic cartoon collections, movies based on classic rock (I have Pink Floyd: The Wall, but don't have any Beatles films, or "Heavy Metal")

Book preferences: horror (ghost stories), real/true paranormal/supernatural encounters, humor, trivia, some classics

Music preferences: I already have a vast collection of classic rock CDs, along with a few other genres. Don't have any comedy or novelty though.

Vidya Game preferences: casual/puzzle, like Bejeweled or Mahjongg. I should warn you, I have an outdated sound and video card. A lot of the newer games won't work worth shit on this computer. I need a new video and sound card and driver.
PRG

An important message for you:

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:40 am UTC

Spoilered for getting totally out of hand. Someone out there has more then enough imformation to stalk, kill, and impersonate me now, I think.

Spoiler:
Programming: I like C++, but I haven't used much else. I'd like to, though.

Chocolate: Dark. Even better with orange or peppermint.

Beverages: Coffee, tea (Earl Grey, hot. Honestly), and pretty much anything else I can put in a mug.

Patterns: Plaid, which I guess counts as stripes?

Food preference: Medium-small sweet tooth. I do like sweet things, but in small quantities, and I'll opt for savory if it's an option.

Alcohol: Yes. Ethanol preferred, although methanol can be fun too. For drinking, the 3-letter options are great (rye, rum, gin, ale)

Favorite kind of animal: Cats, foxes, and/or llamas

Favorite movie I own: Maybe the original Matrix? It's a tough call.

Melting likelihood: Extremely unlikely. Solid mercury may or may not melt.

Favorite shape/motif: Stars are cool. So are flames.

Favorite mythical creature: Phoenix (surprise!), dragons, and Cthullu

Favorite way to accessorize: Normally rings or pendants, but I just discovered hats. Hats are awesome.

Favorite scientific discipline: Physics, I think - I like to analyze the world around me.
______

New question: What's your favorite scientific discipline? Biology? Physics? Chemistry? Psychology??

Editing in more questions:

Board game: Monopoly is cool, as is chess, but I'll play pretty much anything. Board games are great!

Music: Metal and dance/electonica are safe bets. I've seen Nightwish, Disturbed, and Tiesto in the past year, to give an idea.

Teeshirt size: Medium, ususally.

Reading/books: I don't read nearly as much as I'd like anymore. I devour general non-fic (hardcopy wikipedia!), as well as fantasy and space operas. I own a huge collection of Redwall books, as well.

What television shows do you like to watch? I don't watch much broadcast, but I enjoy crime dramas (NCIS and Criminal Minds in particular), as well as pretty much everything on Discovery.

Collections: Rubber ducks, it seems. Also, lamps/candles/torches/etc.

Video games: Advernture RPGs of all kinds - Zelda, Fable, etc. Mostly a PC gamer, FWIW.

Last edited by PhoenixEnigma on Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

gallifrey

Postby gallifrey » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:14 am UTC

Programming: not really...... i will be learning C++ within the next four years though

Chocolate:
dark. not white chocolate. milk is ok but not preferred.

Beverages: coffee!! i like tea too, if it was something i can't get here that would be cool

Patterns: plaid.... tie dye!!

Food preference: i do like sweet things, but if it's too sweet/really rich i don't like it so much

Alcohol: well technically, i don't drink because i live in america and i am not 21. but if you would happen to send some rum along, i really wouldn't have a problem with that....

Favorite kind of animal: elephants and monkeys!! i'm allergic to cats so i really hate them

Favorite movie I own: wall-e, moulin rouge, and gladiator

Melting likelihood: not likely

Favorite shape/motif: isn't this basically the same thing as pattern? i'm not sure.. i guess stars.. or roses!

Favorite mythical creature: gryphon (griffin), phoenix, or dragon!

Favorite way to accessorize: earrings (my ears are 14 gauge), bracelets, rings... no idea what size ring though so i guess thats not helpful.... nail polish

Favorite scientific discipline: physics. i am not very good at it, but it is really interesting.

New questions:
Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? yes! stephen king and michael crichton are my favorite authors, i like fantasy, scifi, and horror

What television shows do you like to watch? Doctor Who!

Do you collect anything? maybe stuffed animals...

EDIT:
Board games: Risk is my absolute favorite board game ever :) i also like taboo, if you could count that as a board game

Video games: I have a wii... but im honestly not that into video games and i dont have my wii at college with me...

Tshirt size mens small or medium
Last edited by gallifrey on Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.
Stars, hide your fires, let not light see my black and deep desires...

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:15 am UTC

Holy crap, lots of questions! I've added the ones from my other post here so that all of the questions can be on the same post.

Best gift received: Well, I don't really remember much in terms of childhood presents. But in more recent times, I'd say it was probably this really, really nice letter and crocheted hat (and some other stuff which only made sense in the context of the letter) that It Should Be Real sent me. This wasn't exactly a "present," per se, but it was probably the nicest thing I've received from anyone in more recent times.

Best given: I can barely remember any times when I gave people presents. Which is making me feel like a greedy bastard. And the times that I did give gifts that I remember weren't all that amazing. So I'll have to pass on this one. :oops:

Programming: I started to learn C++ a while back, but for whatever reason I stopped. I'd like to learn it though. Also, I've done some basic programming on my TI-89. If I played around with it long enough, I'm sure I'd be able to do something more complex with it.

Chocolate: Dark is best, but I like both milk and white as well.

Beverages: Coffee. I hate most tea. However, I've been told that my opinion of tea doesn't count because I'm in the US and haven't tasted real British tea.

Patterns: I dunno, checked or argyle or plaid or a ton of other pattern would be fine. I don't have much of a preference.

Food preference: Medium sweet tooth. I like it, but I don't eat a ton of it or anything.

Alcohol: I'm not old enough to legally drink here. I do like it, but it's best not to send me any.

Favorite kind of animal: I like ones that are weird and that you only find in some tiny portion of the world, like in the rain forrest or at the bottom of the ocean or something.

Favorite movie I own: I don't own many movies, but in general I like sci-fi.

Melting likelihood: Pretty high. I don't know when exactly I leave for vacation and it's pretty hot around here, so best not to send melty things.

Favorite shape/motif: I don't really know how to answer this one, I suppose I'll join all the people saying stars.

Favorite mythical creature: Griffin.

Favorite way to accessorize: I don't really accessorize...

Favorite scientific discipline: Physics!

Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? Well I like to read, but I don't make the time to do it. I haven't read a non-school book in... a couple years? Wow, that's sad. I like sci-fi.

What television shows do you like to watch? My favorite shows are Big Bang Theory, How I Met You Mother, and The Colbert Report.

Do you collect anything? I used to collect rocks, still kind of do, but not very much. I also used to collect foreign currencies. I guess I still do that too. But it's sort of a bit hard to actively do that without buying it online or something, and I never did that. However, I have coins from a ton of different countries because my grandma travels the world. I know that sounds like a joke, but I'm serious.

Boardgames: Board games can be fun. Ones where there's actually a good amount of strategy involved are generally more fun.

Music: I suppose most of what I like is "alternative", but I hate that whiny generic crap that gets lumped into this category.

T-shirt size: Large, for the most part. I don't know if other countries have different sizing, but I'm in the US if it matters.
Last edited by e^iπ+1=0 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:29 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:22 am UTC

I just realized that I should answer as well, because someone will send me stuff too! :)

Programming: I work as a programmer (in Delphi) but I don't really like it.
Chocolate: Dark is vastly superior to the rest, white's OK and milk's just... wasted cocoa.
Beverages: I drink coffee from time to time, as well as cocoa and tea (tea in winter mostly). I don't drink any alcohol, but I use alcohol when cookies or baking. A liquor could be nice, I suppose, if it were easy to bake with.
Patterns: I don't really understand the question. I'm not very interested in fashion...
Food: As I said I'm vegetarian. I don't like things too sweet but candy is still good (just make sure it doesn't have gelatin in it).
Animal: I like lots of animals. I think snakes are beautiful but I'm a bit scared of them.
Favorite movie I own: I dunno, I like all the movies I own! Spirited Away, Bin Jip (a.k.a 3-Iron), The Incredible, Amelie...
Favorite shape: I'd rather not get something cheesy and cutesy, although if it were as a joke and completely over the top then it could be fun.
Mythical creature: Phoenix or unicorn.
Accessorize: I... have a belt?
Scientific discipline: I studied math and physics in uni, I prefer physics.
Books: I mostly read sci-fi and some fantasy, but I'm open to new genres, it's just that I don't always have an idea what I should read from out of the genre. Favorite writers include Gaiman, Pratchett, Asimov, Clarke, Jonathan Carrol...
TV: Currently I only watch Bleach and The Big Bang Theory regularly. I need to catch up on Dollhouse, True Blood and House. Six Feet Under is one of my favorite TV shows and I really loved Avatar. I like anime as well, but I usually watch one series at a time (except for Bleach), right now it's Planetes.
Collecting: Cheesy souvenirs, I think I mentioned that. Statue of liberty, London calling booth, stuff like that.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:23 am UTC

Chocolate: dark is the only way.
Beverages: tea is delicious, and so is Jones Cream Soda.
Patterns: solids, personally. Although nothing against a classy pinstripe.
Sweets: Hey, if you're willing to send it, I'm willing to eat it.

Alcohol: give me another 4 months before you ask that question.
Animal: hedgehog, for the surprisingly cute factor. Seriously, if you can get one to come out, it's the cutest thing in the house, possibly ever.

Movie: I've got to go with Evil Roy Slade. Failing that, probably The Departed.

Meltability: low to none.
Shape/Motif: the Elder Sign.

Mythical Creature: Space Ork
Accessory of choice: Cane. There's very few things a thin black walking stick can't make better.

Discipline: even as a biology major, I have to say History of Science.

Reading: Yes. Gaiman is awesome. Tolkien and Frank Herbert gave my younger self dreams, and R.A. Wilson took my brain apart and reassembled it in strange wonderful ways.
Television: Surprisingly a lot. Psych is hilarious, and I just got Futurama and Cowboy Bebop on DVD.
Collections: Roleplaying books. Music. Knowledge.

Board Games: Arkham Horror is a lot of fun. So is chess.

Music: in alphabetical order; Modest Mouse, Muse, Streetlight Manifesto.

T-shirt size: Men's medium.
Last edited by McCaber on Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:30 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:36 am UTC

Programming: I work with programmers, but I'm kinda bored of programming. I prefer the diagnosis-level stuff I'm doing now.
Animal: Just about anything with fur. I have a cat, grew up with dogs, and like a lot of fuzzy critters.
Favorite movie I own: I don't actually own that many. Maybe "All That Jazz"? I'm showing my age...
Favorite shape: Widget. (WTH kind of question is this?)
Accessorize: Not much.
Scientific discipline: My favourites are astronomy and physics, though I'm just a groupie.
Books: Pratchett, Vonnegut (will squee out loud if anyone sends me a Vonnegut book, the more obscure the better), assorted science for laypeople.
TV: Haven't watched TV for years. I do internet instead -- just as brain-rotting, but more interactive.
Collecting: Not much. A few pretty rocks, every Discworld novel thus far published in paperback, but not really any dedicated collections.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:24 am UTC

Patterns: I usually prefer solid colors over patterns.
Food Preferences: Clean natural flavors. Basically bringing the best out of the ingredients, not drowning it in butter, cream, herbs, etc. Food not recommended as dogs &/or squirrels in the neighborhood will tear apart and eat any package that smells delicious! D:
--Chocolate: Dark chocolate. Hell, if it's got puffed rice or wafers in it, I'm game.
Beverages: Green and white tea.
--Coffee: I'm super-sensitive to caffeine, so this is a baaaad idea.
--Alcohol: I don't drink.
Favourite kind of animal: Repost: "cuttlefish, ravens, kitties, fluffy dogs, chameleons, sharks." I'd also like to add snakes, lizards, and bats (especially flying foxes) to the list.
--Favourite mythical creature: Phoenixes & fenghuang. Yoshi are also pretty awesome.
Goo probability: Incredibly low. Cold damage more likely.
Favourite shape/motif: Hard to explain. Something along the lines of stylized incense smoke. Basically abstract swirly thin lines of smoke.
Favourite way to accessorise: I don't. I see clothes as a means to keep warm and comfortable, with aesthetics as an afterthought. The only jewelry I wear is for their sentimental value rather than their looks.
Programming: Guh... [brain locks up]
Movie preferences: Comedy, parody, and satire, specifically the witty clever kind. (I hate slapstick, vulgar comedy, and "parody" in the ____ Movie vein.)
--Favourite movie: Hot Fuzz
Television show: MythBusters. More for satiating my curiosity than the explosions, but big booms are just icing on the cake.
Book preferences: I don't read much. I used to read a lot, but I just don't really get into it anymore...
Music preferences: Uhhhh.... The genres are all over the spectrum. A sampling: house, hardcore trance, drum & bass, alt. rock, symphonic metal, bossa nova, pop punk, Latin jazz, Bhangra, J-pop... Best not to get me music, 'cause even I don't know what my preferences are.
Vidya Game preferences: Nintendork all the way, baby. If my Secret Santa doesn't want to fret about choosing/making a gift, Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS) is a solid bet. Pretty much the only exception to "I don't want a generic store-bought gift".
Favorite scientific discipline: Physics! Mostly because it's the only... erm... practical "use on a daily basis" science. Pleasedon'thurtme. [cowers]
Collections: Like I posted earlier, keychains!

--edit--
Boardgames: I kinda already own the boardgames I like. Stuff like Apples to Apples, Cranium, Scrabble.... All that's missing is Boggle.
T-shirt: Large mens/unisex, but I'd prefer not to get tees, anyway. I already own way too many.
Last edited by fyrenwater on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
...It made more sense in my head.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:40 am UTC

Programming: Used to be in comp-sci, but was bad at it. So I don't do that any more.

Alcohol: Yes?

Favorite kind of animal: Big predators I guess. Wolves, big cats etc.

Favorite movie I own: I only own the three LotR movies, so I guess those.

Melting likelihood: I don't know what that means.

Favorite mythical creature: Dragons (but that's boring, everyone likes those), Fae (not butterfly winged fairies, but the old, scary kind)

Favorite way to accessorize: I've got my goggles now which are pretty neat I guess. Combined with my scarf it makes a good asthetic.

Favorite scientific discipline: Physics. I like the other two as well, chemistry more than biology, but I was never as good at them.

Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? Yes, I consume books at a very fast rate. JRR Tolkien and GRR Martin are my two current favorite authors, though Terry Prachett and Douglas Adams are right up there as well. As for genres, Fantasy and Science Fiction are my favorites, I also like historical fiction.

What television shows do you like to watch? Big Bang Theory, periodically Supernatural (the last two were hilarious), Used to watch Stargate: Atlantis, but it got irritating.

Do you collect anything?
Books and M:tG cards.

Board Games: RISK, Axis and Allies, Settlers of Catan

Music: Leonard Cohen, Pink Floyd, Mixes of classic rock and classical.

T-Shirt Size: Large or Extra Large.
Last edited by Azrael001 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Two9A

Postby Two9A » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:41 am UTC

This list of questions is getting mildly out of hand... :mrgreen:

kernelpanic wrote:Question: If you like programming, what languages? would you like to learn a new one?
I've always been a low-level kinda guy: assembly, C, C++. What I need is a good introduction to algorithms, but I doubt anyone's willing to buy a whole series of Knuth as a gift.

Other questions posed:

• Chocolate:I do have a particular fondness for milk, but dark is always welcome in my life.
  • Beverages: Tea, cheaper the better. I can't stand drinking expensive tea, feels like I'm drinking nickels.
  • Patterns: Meh. I find myself drawn to no-pattern areas as much as anything else.
  • Food: Trying to cut down on the sweet tooth; current favourites include flapjacks, oat biscuits and other such fibrous things.
  • Alcohol: Strength is king here: whiskey and ouzo are in the ideal bracket.
  • Animals: Oh, gee. I'm more a plant kinda guy, I guess.
  • Movies: I've got a whole bunch of scifi, but my absolute favourite would be Office Space.
  • Melting likelihood: It's the smogbound wastes of Northern England, it's hardly likely to be scorching hot. Likelihood low.
  • Motifs: Being a huge nerd, I'm drawn to green-on-black text (if that counts).
  • Mythical creatures: If we're counting fictional myths, the Istari obviously.
  • Accessories: I have a mortgage to pay; no accessories.
  • Scientific discipline: Quantum physics, no question.
  • Reading/books: I've always been big on hard sci-fi and fantasy; my place is littered with Banks and Asimov, but Tolkien and Feist take pride of place.
  • TV: Star* (Gate, Trek). Also the old standby, the Daily Show.
  • Collections: Old computer parts?

Hope that helps.
The Unofficial "Making xkcd Slightly Worse" Archive [Incomplete]: xkcdsw.com
Articles that fall out of my head about once a month: imrannazar.com

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:45 am UTC

Chocolate: Any kind, although not a big fan of nuts.
Beverages: I dislike all coffee. Tea rocks my socks, I drink english breakfast as a matter of course, but also like flavoured tea, especially chamomile.
Patterns: Stripey things are awesome. As are polka dots.
Food Preferences: Medium sweet tooth. I love love love sweet things, but have sensitive teeth, so too much sweetness causes pain.
Favourite kind of animal: Pandas penguins or butterflies.
Alcohol: I like red wine.
Favourite movie: Crash. Or Watchmen.
Goo probability: Unlikely. Winter in Wales is not known for it's warmth.
Favourite shape/motif: I like swirls, and polka dots, and things with butterflies on.
Favourite mythical creature: Erm...dragons maybe?
Favourite way to accessorise: Hair scrunchies, hair clips. Ones that are good for thick hair.
Programming: Nope, none etc. I have no need or interest, really.
Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres?:I like scifi and fantasy, and gritty crime novels. But I'll also read random things, as long as it looks a bit different from the norm. Favourite authors: Dean Koontz, Michael Marshall Smith, Shakespeare (not technically an authour but meh).
What television shows do you like to watch?: CSI, Scrubs, various nature programs, QI, Star trek/gate
Video Games?: I play them, but prefer non-serious ones: Mario, lego star wars/indiana jones, psychonauts etc.
Scientific discipline:Biochemistry
Do you collect anythingThings with butterflies on-althoguh those tend to be more presents than things I buy :)

Edit: 20/11/09
Board game:Cluedo, or monopoly
Music:Lots. Foo fighter, Muse, Coheed and Cambria to name a few
Teeshirt size:This one's awkward. I'm 19.5 inches from armpit seam to armpit seam. Anything from a medium-large in non-shaped teeshirts. I'm lucky to find a fitted tee to fit me.

Also, for the record, I'm of the female variety :)
Last edited by blue_eyedspacemonkey on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:54 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:14 am UTC

• Best gift received: Toss up between a tape recorder and an heirloom SLR camera. Both completely outdated now, of course, but great fun at the time.
  • Best gift given: A SanDisk Clip mp3 player / fm radio.
  • Programming: C++, Delphi, Python, Haskell, want to learn more Haskell / Clojure.
  • Chocolate: Dark is awesome, especially with chili.
  • Beverages: Horlicks / hot chocolate.
  • Patterns: Fractals are nice. Plain is perfectly acceptable.
  • Food: Cookies (especially of the oatmeal / chocolate / both varieties).
  • Alcohol: I don't drink.
  • Animals: Cheetahs, sea turtles, dolphins, rats, dogs, wolves,
  • Mythical creatures: gryphons, werewolves, the Sta Puft Marshmallow Man, the Giant Peanut of Salzburg.
  • Movies: Monty Python, Studio Ghibli, Futurama, Mystery Men.
  • TV: Black Adder, Futurama, Simpsons, The Daily Show.
  • Motifs: Schubert's Unfinished has this great phrase in the middle...
  • Accessories: MEDICAL NANOBOTS! Erm, I wear glasses? I don't really accessorize.
  • Scientific discipline: Artificial intelligence isn't really a discipline so much as an application, so I suppose I'll go with physics.
  • Reading/books: Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman. I think I'd like to get into Iain M. Banks and Lois McMaster Bujold, from what I've heard about them.
  • Collections: USB sticks? I prefer not to collect anything that isn't actually useful.
~ You will eat a tasty fortune cookie. Oh look, it came true already! ~

AJR

Postby AJR » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:39 pm UTC

• Programming: Not much any more, but I have been know to bodge things up in C and PHP. At Uni I was made to use a rather bizarre Prolog-which-supports-fuzzy-logic called Fril, but I've tried to forget that.
  • Chocolate: Yes! Mainly milk or dark, and with things inside is always fun.
  • Beverages: Coffee. I have somehow managed to failo to pick up the British national obsession with tea. And...
  • Alcohol: Ale and cider (of the SW England style that inspired Terry Pratchet's Scumble.) I'm not much of a spirits fan. But I don't drink that much.
  • Food preference: I'm vegetarian, and have a sweet tooth. Also, I'm a fan of cheese :mrgreen:
  • Favorite kind of animal: Badgers! And penguins (I think I'd have to tear up my Linux geek card if I didn't include that.)
  • Favorite movie: For "good fun entertainment", I would say Blues Brothers, Blazing Saddles, and anything by the Monty Pythons. But for "you must watch this if you haven't", Pan's Labyrinth rates pretty high.
  • Melting likelihood: Fairly low.
  • Favorite shape/motif: Spirals
  • Favorite mythical creature: Any of the "we'll take part of this animal and part of that animal, and stick them together" ones are quite fun. Although I've just seen Gef the talking mongoose on Wikipedia :-)
  • Favorite way to accessorize: I don't much.
  • Favorite scientific discipline: Stuff wot goes BANG!
  • Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? This could be quite a long list... In no particular order: Terry Pratchet, Jasper Fforde, Tom Holt, Robin Hobb, Susanna Clarke, Philip K Dick, Iain M Banks, Tom Robbins (although he does get rather weird), Jeffrey Eugenides, AA Milne (but not the Disneyified Pooh)
  • What television shows do you like to watch? Again in no particular order: Spooks, Family Guy, Scrapheap Challenge, Flash Forward
  • Do you collect anything? Not really - I'm too much of a hoarder without deliberately trying.

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:53 pm UTC

Programming: Nope :-/ Other than... *sigh* html
Chocolate: Yes! of any variety
Beverages: I assume hot so, no coffee, but I enjoy tea. In fact I was told I'm the only American several of my brit friends know who enjoys a spot of earl grey
Alcohol: Yes. Um, yes. Any and all. Yes.
Food preference: I'm a fan of cheese, and meat, and spicy things. But i will eat pretty much anything
Favorite kind of animal: Dog!
Favorite movie: Boondock Saints
Melting likelihood: Fairly low. Freezing likelihood; possible... except alcohol
Favorite shape/motif: ? I.... I don't know?
Favorite mythical creature: I really don't have one.
Favorite way to accessorize: Putting on pants
Favorite scientific discipline: Engineering, general!
Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? Yes, and anything. I have everything from Boyd, to Harry Potter, to Enders Game (fav series), to OSHA handbooks...
What television shows do you like to watch? NPO*; family guy, NCIS, MONK, Burn Notice, Psych, Law and Order, Futurama
Do you collect anything? Bottles of alcohol I've comsumed

***EDITTED TO INCLUDE SPICY FOOD***

EDIT The second:
T-shirt size= U.S. Medium (I don't know if countries vary on size)
Last edited by scrovak on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:02 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

do{<3}while(1);

Postby do{<3}while(1); » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:16 pm UTC

Programming: C#, (C++ ish - more like I read C++),
Chocolate: DARK! Loovvee dark chocolate.
Beverages: Coffee, some teas (the spicy ones, not green)
Alcohol: mmm, red wine is yummy. I do appreciate all types.
Food preference: I like sweets, pasta, no really hot-spicy things though
Favorite kind of animal: Dog maybe?
Favorite movie: ooo. Boondock Saints, The Usual Suspects, Wind, Waterworld, Across the Universe, Thank You For Smoking, Mozart and the Whale
Melting likelihood: As I'm in the northern hemi, freezing is more likely. I'd say 50% shot.
Favorite shape/motif:: geek? is that a motif? pinstripes are fun too.
Favorite mythical creature: black hat man
Favorite way to accessorize: not sure. I have three bracelets that live on my arms (need to be cut to be removed). I have a growing love of spandex. And bright things.
Favorite scientific discipline: math.
Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? I don't really read much, but my favorite books: Perks of Being a Wallflower, Fountainhead
What television shows do you like to watch? House, Entourage, Hustle
Do you collect anything? not really
Board games: Scruples is my favorite
Music: I like a wide range. Currently my Last.fm station is centered around John Mayer and We Are Scientists. I also like math rock (Battles, Foals), bands similar (and equal to) OK Go, rap (the kind that tells a story and makes you think), and Oasis-y bands.
Shirt Size: Small
Last edited by do{<3}while(1); on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:19 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:11 pm UTC

Sigh. Lots of questions...

Programming: Uh, rather not... I guess perl would be useful for scripting, but I really would use it...
Chocolate: Dark chocolate is awesome. Like ultra dark
Beverages: Probably not the best, as I have access to practically all teas and I rarely make coffee. I like cold drinks...
Alcohol:I like booze. Good spirits are good, like rum, vodka, whiskey. Beers are also nice. Don't drink wine unless it's free and I have no choice, like at weddings. But, I like booze and love bartending so yeah.
Food preference: Cookies are nice I guess... eh, food's food right? but if you want to do it, I'm game for sweets or non-sweets. love trying new things.
Favorite kind of animal: Cats
Favorite movie: eternal sunshine of the spotless mind is my favourite right now, and I don't own a copy. I'm blanking on other choices...
Melting likelihood: Unlikely.
Favorite shape/motif: I do love halloween stuff. I don't really have a favourite style though. I like gothy/punky stuff. Or alternative stuff. I also am a fan of steampunk stuff.
Favorite mythical creature: none really...
Favorite way to accessorize: I love jewlery. Necklaces and earrings are fantastic. Not a fan of beads, but otherwise awesome.
Favorite scientific discipline: Psych, Math, Psychics/chemistry,
Do you like to read? Books :P Actually I'm loving the dresden files (I've read small favour and nothing past that), I love sci fi in general, or modern fantasy. I quite enjoy weird horror books, or just weird books (Favourite authors include chuck Palahniuck, Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis...)
What television shows do you like to watch? <3 tv SO MUCH. Dr Who, house, Stargate (SG1, universe, not atlantis), star trek, castle, leverage, L word, lots of TV :)
Do you collect anything? no, not really.
video games: I have a wii, and enjoy nintendo products. I generally play on the PC and really love valve products.

Additional question: Any boardgames you like?
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

ThinkSweet

Postby ThinkSweet » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:10 pm UTC

Programming: The closest I got was a bit of java ages ago, but all I can really do now is make different coloured geometric shapes :P
Chocolate: In order of preference Dark, Milk, White.
Beverages: Coffee, a lot and strong. I dont drink black tea, but I like green or white.
Patterns: don't really mind, but probably not argyle.
Food preference: Somewhere in between medium and large sweet tooth.
Alcohol: I don't mind about alcohol.
Goo probability: Quite possible, it depends what you're sending and what the packaging is. Think 25 Celsius/ 77 Fahrenheit
Favorite kind of animal: Cats, penguins, pandas, white tigers, bears, hedgehogs, fluffy microbes ^^
Favorite movie I own: The nightmare before christmas. That I don't own - The fifth element. And many more of course :)
Favorite shape/motif: Um, stars and hearts. Is shiny a motif?
Favorite mythical creature: Not sure. Selkie maybe?
Favorite way to accessorize: Any kind of jewellery really. I have 7 holes in my ears (3 on each side, 1 at the top).
Favorite scientific discipline: Neurophysiology. Does Psychology count as a science? :)
Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? I love reading. My favourites are scifi/fantasy, esp with twists, like Terry Pratchett (comedy) or Philip Reeve (steampunk.
What television shows do you like to watch? Depends really. The only ones I've liked enough to buy so far are Dark Angel, Futurama and Spaced.
Do you collect anything? plush toys sort of, I used to collect bouncy/super balls. But nothing officially.
Board games: Not really. Maybe pictionary.
T-shirt size: Adult female Small.
Music: I'm not really into music that much, it depends on my mood. A bit of everything :)
Last edited by ThinkSweet on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
</rant>

silent man

Postby silent man » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:29 pm UTC

Programming: No.
Chocolate: I, too, have fallen to the dark side of chocolate.
Beverages: Tea is good. Loose tea is magnificent.
Alcohol: No, thanks.
Favorite kind of animal: None, really.
Favorite movie: Hmmm, 2001 maybe, or Harvey; Casablanca was also good. Not really a movie person...
Melting likelihood: Low. Unless this winter gets even warmer than it already is.
Patterns: Subtle to nonexistant.
Favorite mythical creature: I've been meaning to look into southern/central american mythology, but dragons are always welcome.
Favorite way to accessorize: Less is more. I also have a strong aversion towards wearing gold.
Favorite scientific discipline: Physics.
Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? Science Fiction, mostly. Favorite Authors right now are Terry Pratchett and Larry Niven. Or Robert Sheckley, if I'm feeling silly.
What television shows do you like to watch? I don't have a TV.
Do you collect anything? SF-Magazines.
Board games require other people to play them with. Considering the distance/lack of overlapping free time that characterizes my circle of friends this is a problem.
Sweet tooth: Occasionally.
T-Shirt size: Small. Medium for long-sleeves
Music: Rock, Progressive, the lighter side of Metal.
Last edited by silent man on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:57 am UTC

Programming: I use Labview on my robotics team, and know basic HTML/Javascript/Java, but I don't really code as a hobby or anything
Chocolate: I like milk the most, dark is cool too. I am not too picky about chocolate.
Beverages: Not a Tea or Coffee person, so probably not a viable option
Alcohol: I am underage and not interested.
Favorite kind of animal: I love kitties!
Favorite movie:LOTR trilogy, Fight Club
Melting likelihood: depends on where the package has to go to get here(Wisconsin), but low
Patterns: umm....anything, I guess
Favorite mythical creature: Dragons are pretty cool,
Favorite way to accessorize: warm things, bracelets (I used to wear lots of hemp stuff), maybe a cool hat or necklace
Favorite scientific discipline: chemistry right now, although I haven't yet taken physics ( :( )
Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? I like lots of stuff. recently, I have been devouring every forgotten realms book I can find. Favorite authors: Eoin Colfer, Tamora Pierce, Michael Crichton,
What television shows do you like to watch? I don't watch much
Do you collect anything? stuffed animals from when I was younger
Board games I like board games, but do not play them much
Sweet tooth: currently have more halloween candy than i will be able to consume anytime soon
food: Cookies are good, dried fruit is awesome if possible =] I do not cook or bake much, but I would appreciate recipes, especially for easy to make snacks.
thats enough for now, I may come back and add stuff
music: I like a little of everything. maybe include a list of a couple songs you like, and I'll purchase them online.
t-shirt: err...adult medium or small
Last edited by rath358 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

reishka

Postby reishka » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:21 pm UTC

Question: What are your music preferences?

Mat

Postby Mat » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

Couldn't be bothered to track down the original questions, so apologies if an answer doesn't make sense.
Programming: Mostly use scripting languages. Python at home, tcl at work.
Chocolate: White or milk
Beverages: Don't drink tea or coffee
Alcohol: Cider
Favorite kind of animal: Kittens
Favorite movie: Studio Ghibli movies, Amelie, Memento
Melting likelihood: I rarely overheat
Patterns: Simple geometric shapes? I dunno.
Favorite mythical creature: I don't know, real creatures are better
Favorite way to accessorize: I don't have any accessories
Favorite scientific discipline: Physics, Astronomy, Psychology
Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? Yes, but don't get round to it much. Neal Stephenson.
What television shows do you like to watch? At the moment I watch some american tv shows like lost, house. Very much enjoyed Six feet under and the wire. I like a lot of british comedies too, e.g. Spaced.
Do you collect anything? Blank stares
Board games I play Go quite a bit. I like board games in general as well but don't usually play any
Sweet tooth: Yeah I guess but I usually avoid sugary stuff to avoid angering dentists
food: uhh cookies are good
Music: Pixies, Ladytron, Mew, Muse, Royksopp, Yann Tierson, Metric, The Knife
T shirt size: medium should be ok
Last edited by Mat on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:50 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:53 pm UTC

I'm not a deadbeat! I have proof!!
Spoiler:
receipt2.JPG
receipt2.JPG (48.46 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
Enjoy your secret santa gift, whomever you are.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Two9A

Postby Two9A » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:33 pm UTC

I'll do ya one better than that.
Spoiler:
The date is an optimisic timeframe of posting, perhaps, but I'll get around to it sometime next week. Enjoy, whoever you happen to be.

Edit: I fully realise that the Message-Id isn't a valid URL, and isn't even supposed to be a URL according to the standard. Gets the point across though, I'd suspect.
The Unofficial "Making xkcd Slightly Worse" Archive [Incomplete]: xkcdsw.com
Articles that fall out of my head about once a month: imrannazar.com

Lizabeff

Postby Lizabeff » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:26 am UTC

Programming: I don't tbh, other than html (please don't shun me ;[)
Chocolate: Any :D
Beverages: I don't like coffee, thats mostly it
Alcohol: I don't really drink much
Favorite kind of animal: Butterflies
Favorite movie: I watch so many movies its silly, but mostly Sci-Fi
Melting likelihood: Very low
Patterns: Yes, in all kinds :D
Favorite mythical creature: I'm not sure really, possibly fairies?
Favorite way to accessorize: Quite hippy really, lots of bracelets and rings
Favorite scientific discipline: Chemistry
Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? Yes alot, mostly fantasy
What television shows do you like to watch? Right now, Stargate Universe, Lie to Me and Dollhouse
Do you collect anything? Books, and mostly just pretty things that I find interesting
Board games: I don't play much, but I like things like Cluedo, and puzzles
Sweet tooth: Yes, but not too much
food: Yes :D. But nothing un-vegetarian
Music: Most things really, right now I mostly listen to the Beatles, Poison and Beethoven (bizarre mix, I know)

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

Got present. Reserving this space to post proof of sending it (probably Monday) as I couldn't think of a good way to post the receipt for the present without letting everyone know what it is and/or how much it cost (which would suck for the person getting it).

EDIT: A scan of my post office receipt as proof of sending
Spoiler:
post office receipt.jpg
Sent! And will probably get there way before Christmas but I don't trust royal mail too much...
post office receipt.jpg (23.72 KiB) Viewed 4740 times
Last edited by Teapot on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Moo wrote:

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:43 pm UTC

I'm going to edit my previous post to answer new questions. I think that this will help keep things all in one spot, and I encourage others to do the same.

Anyway new question

T-shirt size? (I know that this is fairly specific, but it is highly useful information, and asking it privately would potentially ruin surprises.)

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:50 am UTC

Waugh, it just occurred to me I forgot to go through and answer the questions. Deepest apologies to the person who's my secret santa.

Programming: I've done Java, QBasic, some Ruby on Rails and some Scheme, as well as random HTML. I really like Ruby on Rails, but I wish I knew more about how to use it for just a normal website. (I've only ever used it to construct a social-networking site so I could understand the code my research boss (I'm an undergraduate researcher) wrote.)
Chocolate: I love all forms of chocolate. Bonus points for any chocolate with flavors like orange or raspberry in it. Milk and Dark chocolate tie for first with white chocolate coming in a close second as far as overall preference.
Beverages: I'm slowly developing an affinity for coffee, but I've mostly drank things like Starbucks mochas, which probably don't count as real coffee to a lot of people. So if you have any delicious (and maybe only mildly bitter) recommendations of the stronger stuff, I'd be all for it. I also like random juices. And tea can be good times, tool
Alcohol: In my country I can't drink yet (underage), so as much as I'd appreciate the gesture it's probably not the best idea. Esp. because I live in college housing where it'd be difficult for me to drink illegally anyway.
Favorite kind of animal: Wolves. Closely followed by red foxes and toucans (toco toucans are pretty rocking).
Favorite movie: Probably The Matrix. Serenity and Casablanca rank really high up on my list, too. Roman Holiday was also great.
Melting likelihood: Medium-low. I live in Southern California right now, so it stays pretty moderate (low to mid 70's) year round. So the stuff you send me probably won't melt, but you might want to wrap it in a plastic bag just in case.
Patterns: I definitely dig stripes, especially thin vertical stripes.
Favorite mythical creature: Werewolves or dragons. I like centaurs a lot, as well.
Favorite way to accessorize: Pendants and sometimes a watch. (I used to wear a pocket watch, but it broke and I haven't had the time/money to get it repaired). I love bags like messenger bags, too. (No purses, though, please. Silly society, not letting men carry a purse. :P)
Favorite scientific discipline: Zoology. Botany's cool, too. So biology overall, but macrobiology especially.
Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres?: Yes, but I don't do it as often as I like. Favorite authors are probably Stephen King (for The Dark Tower), Tad Williams (for Otherland), and Stephen Brust. J.D. Salinger is good, too. My favorite genres are probably science fiction and surreal sort-of-slice-of-life stuff (like The Perks of Being a Wallflower or Girl, Interrupted).
What television shows do you like to watch?: I'm only actively keeping up with Dollhouse right now (and sad about its cancellation), but I also like Bones, Castle, Stargate (all series, although I haven't watched enough of Universe to be sure yet), and NCIS.
Do you collect anything? : Computer games, old and new. Old computer hardware. Old technology in general (I own a rotary phone where the receiver hangs on hooks back home, and a typewriter). Stuff people are going to get rid of that I crazily adopt (like my house plant).
Board games: I really like Cranium and Settlers of Catan.
Video Games: I adore them, especially computer games. I have a fond place in my heart for Morrowind and Oblivion, as well as old space-sims like X-Wing and X-wing vs. Tie Fighter. But I really like almost all genres, although I don't play a lot of sports or racing games. Much love to RPGs and FPSs with decent story.
Sweet tooth: Definitely. I love all sweets.
Food: I love food! But be careful sending it to the US (just follow the instructions in the original post).
Music: I listen to lots of random indie rock and pop music, as well as trance and random things that defy description. A few bands I love are The Postal Service, try^d (google it), Dido, Utada Hikaru (both her English and her Japanese stuff), and Rob Costlow
T-shirt Size I'm usually a Large.

Holy crud, that was a lot of stuff to answer. I hope this comes in handy.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:10 pm UTC

Haven't heard any complaints, and there's nothing left in my outbox, so I'll assume everyone is happy with their secret santa! Yay! Please let me know if you can't complete it or need to change, it's not too late to fix things if they go wrong.

Spoiler:
Are you okay with getting packages explicitly stating "from the internet!"/crazily decorated: I encourage it.
Hobbies: Rock-climbing, reading, concrete, banana, autumn. Photography.
Favourite Colour: I like rich colours, and bright colours.
Favorite xkcd: All the early, sweet ones that make me climb trees.
Any food/jewelry/otter/duck allergies: Bee stings. Please don't send me bees.
Programming: I... can barely program my VCR.
Chocolate: All of them are awesome.
Beverages: Coffee, or exciting teas (green, chai, any fruit stuff that's not super sweet)
Alcohol: I don't drink a whole lot of spirits. Beer is good!
Favorite kind of animal: Not sure. Maybe giraffes?
Favorite movie: Not sure today.
Melting likelihood: Significant, but not a worry unless it'll actually wreck the thing.
Patterns: All of them.
Favorite mythical creature: Hum. I'm not sure.
Favorite way to accessorize: Cute geeky jewellry, gloves, hats, scarves.
Favorite scientific discipline: biology
Do you like to read? If so, what are your favorite authors/genres? Awful question. I read a lot.
What television shows do you like to watch? At the moment I watch: Weeds, Arrested Development, Flight of the Conchords, Glee, Community, whatever else might amuse me briefly.
Do you collect anything? Stories.
Board games? I love board games! I don't own many.
Sweet tooth: Very much yes, especially if it's tasty. Sugar just tastes like sugar.
food: There's not much I don't like.
music: I'll find my last.fm page in a bit.
t-shirt: Small, extra-small, extra-extra-small, depending on the seller. Best to check with measurements.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:42 pm UTC

Supplies = bought.
Would provide photographic evidence, but would give away too much.
Gifts should be posted well before Dec. 1, and I'll definitely snap pictures of the receipt from sending.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:54 pm UTC

Moo wrote:

Return to “General”