Technological Naivety

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Wed May 09, 2007 9:23 am UTC

(I was wrong about 'void main'; even VC2005 accepts that without warning.)

im not surprised, void main was a microsoft extension. *nix use the int return value, windows doesn't. its good practice to always use int main of course.

as for std - yes you definetly need to switch to using std.
for headers you will have to use the fully qualified name everywhere

e.g. std::cout

otherwise you pollute the namespace of anyone who includes your header

for your .cpp using declarations or directives are acceptable.
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Wed May 09, 2007 12:32 pm UTC

Akira wrote:Not a clue. I wrote what he told me, and i owned at doing what he told me.

Alas, I thought I was good. Perhaps I should go crawl under a myspace page and hide? Lol.

You're fine. We're just teasing you because coding makes us evil.

"Good", however, is a relative term. :wink:

I'll give you an example:
We regularly hire interns out of the local high school computer class. We don't expect them to know anything. If they are willing to learn, we'll teach them what we need them to know. Our interview questions are designed to tell us if they are willing be trained.

One of the questions is - On a scale of 1 to 10, with Dennis Ritchie being a 10, where would you place yourself as a programmer?

None of them has known who Dennis Ritchie is, nor did we expect them to. (Dennis Ritchie is the "R" in K&R. For those of you preparing to launch into the "C sucks" rant, I've heard it, it's not relevant to this story, go start a thread in the appropriate board.)

They universally choose "Seven".

When we come in for the face-to-face, the first question we ask is "Who is Dennis Ritchie?" And they turn white because they see it was a trap. Only one of them has had the guts to write by the question that he couldn't answer because he didn't know who Dennis Ritchie was. We explained it to him and asked him the question again. He said "Seven". *sigh*

I'm a 15 year programmer. On most days, I'm not on any scale that includes Dennis Ritchie. If I'm having an especially brilliant day, I might make a 2. The 25-30 year programmers I work with say that they feel they could get to a 4 on that scale. Then they look distant and sad for awhile.

However, take Dennis Ritchie off the curve and make it so that 5 is average and I do much better on that scale.

Good is relative. Don't rate yourself against other programmers. Do good work for the sake of the good work. Somebody is always better than you - learn from them. Somebody is always worse - make them better if you can.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Wed May 09, 2007 1:25 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:They universally choose "Seven".

:lol: At least predictability is nice.

At the coffee shop yesterday, the girl at the counter said, "So you know about computers, right?" (Always a bad sign). "This lady had a Dell laptop and couldn't connect to the wireless network. Do you know why not?" (Me: It could be a lot of different reasons.) "I think she maybe didn't have a wireless in her computer." (Me: Well . . . that could be the problem.)

I was working at a job site with a engineer who had a doctorate in biochemistry. We needed to look up something on a steam table and he didn't have one handy. I told him we could google it. He opened his browser, with Yahoo! as his startpage. In the search box, he typed in "http://www.google.com", hits search, looks through the results for a minute, then picks one. After we finally found the info, he was completely floored. "I had NO IDEA you could get that kind of information!"

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Wed May 09, 2007 1:25 pm UTC

surely you need at least 1 more person on your scale to calibrate it anyway.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Wed May 09, 2007 1:34 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:At the coffee shop yesterday, the girl at the counter said, "So you know about computers, right?" (Always a bad sign). "This lady had a Dell laptop and couldn't connect to the wireless network. Do you know why not?" (Me: It could be a lot of different reasons.) "I think she maybe didn't have a wireless in her computer." (Me: Well . . . that could be the problem.)

I hate that. People assume knowledge about computers is free licence to ask you anything about computers ever.
Yes I know some stuff about computers.
Yes, I even have a job programming them.
No, it doesn't mean I know why your 'internet broke', why your pc 'is running slow', what that error message means on the random 3rd party software, or have the patience to explain the difference between Word and Windows.
However, if you are a friend, I'm feeling generous, or you will compensate me in some way/shape/form, I probably have enough knowledge to look into it and maybe even do a little something about it.

/rant
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Wed May 09, 2007 1:43 pm UTC

Off topic, but related to Tractor's peeve - When I'm gigging, I HATE people assuming that because I'm onstage with a guitar, I MUST know whatever-the-hell their favourite song of the moment is.

Audience member: Will you play Such-and-Such by MyFaveBand?
Me: I'm sorry, I don't know that one. How about I do This-other-one-by-the-same-band instead?
AM: What?!? Of Course you know it! It goes Dumdum dedum DAAHH...
Me: I don't know the words, and I don't know the chords, and I haven't heard it enough times to busk it, I'm sorry.
AM: What kind of singer are you? I can't believe you don't know it. You're shite.
Me: Well stop dancing to all the other songs I play, if that's what you think.

(I only say the last part if they're particularly drunk, or offensive!)
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Wed May 09, 2007 2:05 pm UTC

davef wrote:Off topic, but related to Tractor's peeve - When I'm gigging, I HATE people assuming that because I'm onstage with a guitar, I MUST know whatever-the-hell their favourite song of the moment is.

Audience member: Will you play Such-and-Such by MyFaveBand?
Me: I'm sorry, I don't know that one. How about I do This-other-one-by-the-same-band instead?
AM: What?!? Of Course you know it! It goes Dumdum dedum DAAHH...
Me: I don't know the words, and I don't know the chords, and I haven't heard it enough times to busk it, I'm sorry.
AM: What kind of singer are you? I can't believe you don't know it. You're shite.
Me: Well stop dancing to all the other songs I play, if that's what you think.

(I only say the last part if they're particularly drunk, or offensive!)

the problem is you are not playing loud enough to drown them out

Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed May 09, 2007 2:26 pm UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:surely you need at least 1 more person on your scale to calibrate it anyway.

Assume zero is a cabbage.

Edit: To be honest on that scale I think I'm at least a nine. Cabbages are really bad. They never get a damn thing done.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Wed May 09, 2007 2:33 pm UTC

Tractor wrote:However, if you are a friend, I'm feeling generous, or you will compensate me in some way/shape/form, I probably have enough knowledge to look into it and maybe even do a little something about it.

Yeah, if she had been sitting there I would have been happy to look at it for a minute. I really do like helping people. But if the event happened two days ago and all you remember is that the laptop was a Dell and that there was an error message that said something about a network. . . I've got nothing for you.

---------------
davef wrote:Off topic, but related to Tractor's peeve - When I'm gigging, I HATE people assuming that because I'm onstage with a guitar, I MUST know whatever-the-hell their favourite song of the moment is.

How about this: "Oh sure, I'll work that in at the end of the set."

DuSTman

Postby DuSTman » Wed May 09, 2007 2:44 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:
Akira wrote:What's the difference between gzip and regular zip files? Smaller size~what? Could I unzip it with the one that came with my computer, or do I need a new program?

Eh, it's just a different compression algorithm. Don't let the 'zip' in 'gzip' fool you; they don't have anything more in common than, say, zip and rar.

And actually gzip compression is not all that good...

Actually, GZIP is an implementation of the "deflate" algorithm, which until recently (~winzip 9) was also the highest level compression algorithm used in the zip file format (recently, the "deflate64" algorithm was added to .zip files, which basically is the same thing with various buffer lengths expanded to 64k).

Deflate, by the way, is an implementation of the LZ77 algorithm, coupled to a huffman tree.

Whereas .zip is a container which can hold many files, .gzip encodes a single stream (meaning you have to use it with tar to store multiple files). This also endows gzip with *slightly* better compression ratios through as it's effectively a "solid" archive, and doesn't require reinitialisation of the dictionary for each file.. People have been known to have some luck decompressing a single file zip archive with GZIP due to this similarity.

Rightly said, though, there are better algorithms about than zip/gzip. deflate's mainly used because of its ubiquity, and because it's a load faster than the more advanced compressors.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Wed May 09, 2007 2:48 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:How about this: "Oh sure, I'll work that in at the end of the set."

What usually happens then is I get shit from someone after the gig for not playing what I said I'd play, and I'd rather just get it over with there and then!

Sorry for derailing the topic. I was enjoying this thread. Everyone back to posting about how dumb everyone else is.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Wed May 09, 2007 3:01 pm UTC

Andrew wrote:
evilbeanfiend wrote:surely you need at least 1 more person on your scale to calibrate it anyway.

Assume zero is a cabbage.

Edit: To be honest on that scale I think I'm at least a nine. Cabbages are really bad. They never get a damn thing done.

we don't even know if its a linear scale? maybe there are only 8 people worse than you (and then cabbages are worse than everyone) and the entire rest of the coding population fits in the region 9-10. or is this the sort of pedantry the question was reallly about?

edit: nt srsly
Last edited by evilbeanfiend on Wed May 09, 2007 3:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Wed May 09, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:we don't even no if its a linear scale? maybe there are only 8 people worse than you (and then cabbages are worse than everyone) and the entire rest of the coding population fits in the region 9-10. or is this the sort of pedantry the question was reallly about?

Not really, no. Perhaps you folks should go see my poll in Coding regarding the last time any programmer other than yourself did anything right. :wink:
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 09, 2007 3:33 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:At the coffee shop yesterday, the girl at the counter said, "So you know about computers, right?"....

I was working at a job site with a engineer who had a doctorate in biochemistry. ...

Being a Computer Guy(tm) as a profession puts you in a similar boat as many professions, Doctors being a prime example..

"Hey, you're a doctor, right? Well, my foot hurts when I blah blah blah blah"

Of course, if I happen to come across a guy with a massive bleeding wound, and I hold pressure on the wound until the ambulance arrives, odds are no one witnessing the event will assume I'm a doctor, they'll just assume I'm a guy who knows a little about first aid. But if I talk one guy in a coffee shop through getting his laptop on the wireless, I'm automatically a computer guy who knows everything about every piece of hardware and software ever written, and I'm going to get a follow-up question about his Outlook syncing up faster than his Blackberry, though his co-worker's syncs up at about the same time.

The other thing being... well, the guy's an engineer with a doctorate in biochemistry. He wasn't hired to google things, he was... um.. hired to engineer bochemical .. stuff. I guess. Whatever it is an engineer with a doctorate in biochemistry does. As you can tell, I have no idea.

There are very intelligent people who know they are intelligent people who know their computer problems are very simple things yet they have no idea how to fix it. These people are the worst people to speak with, from the standpoint of being the poor schmuck who answers tech support calls. I'd rather talk a 90 year old grandmother through running an ipconfig /release:/renew and manually setting her DNS server before I'd want to try and convince another doctor that the problem will be fixed if he unplugs his DSL modem for a couple minutes. The grandmother does what I say without questioning it...because she called me for help and I'm giving it. The doctor argues, because he doesn't see the point.

That's my point, I guess...as stupid as some of the mistakes people make, it's ignorance, not stupidity.

But boy-oh-boy are there a ton of ignorant people out there.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Wed May 09, 2007 3:50 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The other thing being... well, the guy's an engineer with a doctorate in biochemistry. He wasn't hired to google things, he was...

for most doctorates one is required to research stuff, do literature surveys etc. of course he may have got his doctorate from before teh intarwebz, but if it was more recent then this is somewhat worrying ignorance.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 09, 2007 3:56 pm UTC

Yeah, you've got a point.. and the googling thing is a bad example anyway.

Why doesn't someone have a story of a biochemist failing at installing a network card, so I can make a better point?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed May 09, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

Im an intermediate programmer, my main problem is i dont know enough about professional styles of programming and certian techniques. Also im guilty of thinking about optimisation too much. My current project has made me research into 100's of other things though, hopefully my Semi-WoW clone will be impressive enough for a boost in job acceptance.

While im quite well versed in windows, hardware and fixing stuff, theres always quite alot of problems which i cant solve. Only recently i had a very uncommon problem with my mums pc, which im resorting to a full reinstall, mostly because shes one of those
her: "ooo that looks cool, lets download it"
*1 month later i come view*
me: "Oh me yarm, The toolbars, adverts, spyware... THERE EVERYWHERE! "
I decided to take control after the 4th toolbar was sitting there, with 5 installed.

Especially since my XP runs with ~155mb of stuff with normal stuff loaded (windows, drivers, Anti-virus (Nod32, which i highly recommend), etc), with it striped down, organised and maintained far more than the average.

Also, googling is awesome, i musta used it a few 1000 times by now (a few times a day is normal).

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Wed May 09, 2007 5:08 pm UTC

#1 tip for reducing number of family support calls:

set their accounts to be limited user accounts

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed May 09, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:#1 tip for reducing number of family support calls:

I would... but shes very possessive. It will only end up with:
"How come i cant install [x]?" or "Its my pc, i want to install it", its very difficult to get points across and make them stick. Also, im at uni most of the time, so the whole process is 10x longer.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Wed May 09, 2007 5:23 pm UTC

no you get 10x more because everything in windows requires admin, like the antivirus updateing

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Wed May 09, 2007 6:06 pm UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:The other thing being... well, the guy's an engineer with a doctorate in biochemistry. He wasn't hired to google things, he was...

for most doctorates one is required to research stuff, do literature surveys etc. of course he may have got his doctorate from before teh intarwebz, but if it was more recent then this is somewhat worrying ignorance.

Yeah, he was probably about 50 years old. He was a complete mess in a number of ways. I just think that story is funny because of the juxtaposition of the fact that he knew the "http://" part, but didn't know the difference between the search box and the address box, and didn't know that a Yahoo! search would be just as good as a Google search.

@ SecondTalon - Good point about trying to help intelligent people. The hardest thing for people to do is to realize what they don't know (myself included . . . myself especially).

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Wed May 09, 2007 6:08 pm UTC

I say the #1 tip is to run a virus/spyware/adware scan everytime you are at there house. Pre-emptive strike FTW!

evildave

Postby evildave » Wed May 09, 2007 7:13 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:None of them has known who Dennis Ritchie is, nor did we expect them to. (Dennis Ritchie is the "R" in K&R. For those of you preparing to launch into the "C sucks" rant, I've heard it, it's not relevant to this story, go start a thread in the appropriate board.)

C is the one true language; 'tis C++ that 'sucks'.

I'd rate myself a '12', but only because I'm PERFECT. It's your own flawed perceptions that may prevent you from seeing that. ;)

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Wed May 09, 2007 7:18 pm UTC

evildave wrote:C is the one true language; 'tis C++ that 'sucks'.

One true language? You forgot assembly :P

evildave wrote:I'd rate myself a '12', but only because I'm PERFECT. It's your own flawed perceptions that may prevent you from seeing that. ;)

12? Are you sure you just didn't code it wrong, and the huge negative number just overflowed to 12? :twisted:
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Wed May 09, 2007 8:06 pm UTC

"Good", however, is a relative term.

Okay, referring to the scales we've set up, if 0 is a cabbage, 10 is ME, and it's a straight line from one to the next, most of my class was somewhere around a 2 or 3.

They could usually type. They were exceptional at finding games online.

They couldn't program to save thier grade.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

evildave

Postby evildave » Wed May 09, 2007 9:13 pm UTC

Tractor wrote:
evildave wrote:C is the one true language; 'tis C++ that 'sucks'.

One true language? You forgot assembly :P

ASM? Away with thee! You may as well make a claim for microcode, and then perhaps masking patterns for PLAs. ASM has it's place, and that's extending little time-critical bits of C CODE! And you know what? I have used more than a few flavors of ASM, and can tell you that MOST ASM I have encountered has been readily replaced with C CODE that was faster, obviously because the poor befuddled fools programming in it could barely manage making it run without crashing, let alone make it run WELL. They sprinkle 'magic ASM dust' in the project like rat droppings in your breakfast cereal, and pretend that they're doing a good job, secure in the knowledge that most people can't tell good ASM from bad. Even 100% of the ASM I've PERSONALLY written in the past 20 or so years has had to be replaced by C code when I've wanted to use the code again. Fortunately, I spotted that trend early and always kept a C version of the ASM code commented out near its call. Every neat little trick and optimization in ASM becomes a pessimization, or something to be 'fixed' in a relatively few years. The utter pointlessness of the discussions about what register access will be faster by a clock is highlighted every time a new CPU hits the shelves.

Tractor wrote:
evildave wrote:I'd rate myself a '12', but only because I'm PERFECT. It's your own flawed perceptions that may prevent you from seeing that. ;)

12? Are you sure you just didn't code it wrong, and the huge negative number just overflowed to 12? :twisted:

Nah, I'd have to be at least a '+7' just to be even with a wannabe intern!

Besides, your perception of reality is naturally flawed, because you are not me. Only my perception is correct. What seems vastly negative to you (like 'extreme abuse' [and that's a quote] of the preprocessor, in order to do away with templates) is actually pure gold, and you just aren't on a plane that can comprehend its natural beauty and simplicity. Sure, that plane has a lot of intersections with 'crazy guy arguing with invisible people as he walks down the breakdown lane of the information superhighway', but that's not a problem for me, because, as I said, I'm perfect.

pete

Postby pete » Wed May 09, 2007 9:43 pm UTC

Allow me to add my own solution to the "You're a doctor, does this look like a rash to you?" situation.

I'm in 'data-processing' to the general public. It sounds complicated enough to discourage most follow-up questions, and even if they know what it means the most technical question they could ask is: "Which finger do you use for a 'B'?"

Trust me, I've heard 'illegal operation' questions in a men's room. ANY converation with another man while holding your penis is one too many IMO.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Wed May 09, 2007 9:45 pm UTC

Once someone asked me whether they should go with an Intel CPU or an AMD CPU.

LOL what an idiot!
i hurd u liek mudkips???

pete

Postby pete » Wed May 09, 2007 10:13 pm UTC

Peshmerga wrote:Once someone asked me whether they should go with an Intel CPU or an AMD CPU.

LOL what an idiot!

Sarcasm duly noted.

The fact remains that if you deal with anything day-in-day-out for years on end it becomes tiring. Particularly if the question either requires more explanation than you're prepared to give without compensation, or if a 5 year old kid could explain it.

I see this as a vent thread, no deeper meaning required.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Wed May 09, 2007 10:27 pm UTC

People never ask me for computer help anymore because I usually tell them to smash their computers and start the revolution.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Thu May 10, 2007 4:17 am UTC

Just stupid kids in my class who can't save/load a file and I guess are to used to web 2.0

NightStar
"Hold very still, Mr President....."

Postby NightStar » Thu May 10, 2007 6:07 am UTC

My mom is baffled by social networking sites and refers to all of them as "SpaceBook".
Hawknc wrote:Madness?
THIS IS COLLEGE!
*Kicks a beer keg over a balcony*

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Thu May 10, 2007 10:56 am UTC

VTHodge wrote:

I say the #1 tip is to run a virus/spyware/adware scan everytime you are at there house. Pre-emptive strike FTW!

yep thats a good one as well.

for the LUA problems: i just did it to each of their accounts and setup an install account with admin rights and got them to only use that to install stuff by removing all the desktop shortcuts to other things. security software updates i do when im around (most weekends so this aint to bad)

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Thu May 10, 2007 10:59 am UTC

NightStar wrote:My mom is baffled by social networking sites and refers to all of them as "SpaceBook".

i think that term should be appropriated for the greater good.

HiEv

Postby HiEv » Thu May 10, 2007 12:01 pm UTC

I used to work at the computer labs of a couple of colleges so I've got quite a few stories.

I used to see lots of people come in, turn off the computer at the switch, sit there for a little while staring at the computer, turn it back on, wait for it to reboot, and then use the computer because they were too stupid to notice the screen saver. If they'd have just wiggled the mouse or hit a key they would have saved time and wouldn't have shut down the computer improperly. I guess the blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the screen wasn't enough of a hint that the computer was already on? There were a few people who I had to explain this to more than once.

Then there was the guy who inserted his disk in the gap between the two floppy drives. We had to take the computer apart to get his disk out.

I also used to get calls from the other labs like this:
User on phone: "I'm having trouble with the computer."
Me: "OK. Can you be more specific?"
U: "Nothing is on the screen."
M: "Is the computer turned on?"
U: "Yes, the light is on."
M: (from experience) "Which light?"
U: "The one at the bottom of the screen."
M: "That's the monitor. Is the computer on."
U: "What's that?"
M: "It's the box that's attached to the monitor."
U: "Oh, you mean the CPU." (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing)
M: "That's the computer. So, is it on?"
U: "Oh. How do I tell?"
M: <sigh> "Is the power light on?"
U: "Umm... I don't see any light."
M: "OK. Then the computer is off."
U: "..."
M: "Turn it on."
U: "Oh. OK. ... Oh! Now it's working. Thank you so much!"
I can't imagine what these people do when faced with a VCR.

Then there were the people who you'd try to explain to them how to do something, but they'd keep jumping ahead and guessing (wrongly) about what the next step was over and over, causing me to have to add more steps to undo the previous errors. After a while you just have to say, "Stop guessing and only do what I say to do. You're making this take longer and other people here need help too!" Gah!

I also worked tech support for a software company for a while and got calls that went like this:
User: "So I did that and nothing happened."
Me: "OK, what's on the screen?"
User: "Nothing."
Me: "Wait. Nothing?"
User: "Yeah."
Me: "No text or anything?"
User: "Well, the loading message is still up there, but nothing new is on the screen."
Me: Thinking to myself, "That's a mighty strange definition of 'nothing' you've got there," saying, "OK, you have to wait for it to finish loading first."

I've also had people yell at me and threaten to sue the company I worked for because the software they bought, which they could try ahead of time as a fully functional free nearly unlimited use demo, didn't do what they wanted. Duh! Maybe you should make sure it does what you want before you buy it?!? I even had one person threaten us with a lawsuit over problems caused by software some other company had written, apparently because our company's name was mentioned in the product since it used some of our code. How can you not understand that Company B is not responsible for Software A written by Company A? Oh, and did I mention it was porn downloading software? :lol:

On the personal side, it took me ages to teach my mom the difference between computer memory and hard drive space. "I think I need more memory because my computer is getting full." "Huh? ... Oh, you mean your hard drive is getting full. For the millionth time, mom, that's not memory, that's hard drive space."

I also just had to explain to my new roommate that his ISP was not AOL, he was just using the AOL browser and his ISP was actually Comcast (which he both knew and somehow didn't know.) "But it says AOL on the screen. Comcast is just my internet." I'm currently attempting to slowly ween him off of the AOL browser. :?

I swear, this is just a tiny fraction of the many, many incidents I've encountered in my lifetime.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu May 10, 2007 12:14 pm UTC

HiEv wrote:I also just had to explain to my new roommate that his ISP was not AOL, he was just using the AOL browser and his ISP was actually Comcast (which he both knew and somehow didn't know.) "But it says AOL on the screen. Comcast is just my internet." I'm currently attempting to slowly ween him off of the AOL browser. :?

Can someone please explain to me why in the hell people still use AOL? We never used AOL, even when it was "da bomb" as far as for navigating the Interwebs. We tried Prodigy, but it got to be too damn expensive.

I have a friend in a pet chat room who still uses AOL. We keep telling her to can them. They charge too much, and they're not all that secure. She says she kept it because her daughter's friends are all on AIM. I told her that her daughter could download Windows Live Messenger, or Yahoo Messenger, and still be able to talk to her friends. Either one will (or should be able to) allow her to communicate with her loser friends whose parents don't know any better and still pay too much for AOL.

When my parents bought me my Dell back in 2002, it had the AOL software on it. They said it came with 1000 free hours or something like that. I told them I don't care if it came with unlimited free hours, I'm not using it. Never have, never will. The second I set the computer up and turned it on AOL was removed from the computer. Completely.
PRG

An important message for you:

Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu May 10, 2007 12:33 pm UTC

Part of my job includes CT scanning.

The PC the scanner's plugged into broke a bit ago so I couldn't use it. Apparently, the graphics card had given out. I told them we had a cupboard full of graphics cards good enough to run control software on, and they said, yes, we've tried it with an old card we had but the image quality wasn't as good. I tried several times to explain that the quality of the image on the screen was not the quality of the image saved to disc, but no, they had to know better.

So they bought an exact duplicate of the card they had before. It cost them £600. (That's $1,200 -- I like to quote dollars because they look sillier in dollars.) I forget what model it was but it was some ultra-slick 3D graphics pro-gaming jobbie from ATI.

I can totally see how the ability to render a million polygons per frame is useful to a computer whose only job is to control and read from a CT scanner.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Thu May 10, 2007 12:35 pm UTC

"I'm currently attempting to slowly ween him off of the AOL browser"

change shortcut to browser of choice and say its been upgraded free of charge? ;)

vrek
pigasm!

Postby vrek » Thu May 10, 2007 12:38 pm UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:"I'm currently attempting to slowly ween him off of the AOL browser"

change shortcut to browser of choice and say its been upgraded free of charge? ;)
better idea..say that you upgraded it and now he owes you 21.95 a month instead of AOL?

pete

Postby pete » Thu May 10, 2007 12:39 pm UTC

HiEv wrote:M: "Turn it on."
U: "Oh. OK. ... Oh! Now it's working. Thank you so much!"

Reminds me of the time a dealer's new (supposedly trained) technician phoned me ranting about a dead machine. He just started going off about how he'd driven 5 hours to get to the site and now he'd have to drive all the way back again, as far as I could tell between the swearing. First thing I asked is if he tested it before leaving, which brought the volume back down a bit.

I talked him through the whole power, cabling, 'are there any lights on?' business and it starts to sound like the PC really is dead, although I tested it personally the day before.

Him: "NOTHING, I press the button and nothing happens."
Me : "...Which button?"
Him: "The one on the front of the computer!"
Me : "Is there anything written underneath it?"
Him: "Yeah, it says 'RESET'"
Me : "......."
Me : "Try pressing the one marked 'Power'".

I shit you not.

Return to “General”