Dreams - The Sleeping Kind

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Dreams - The Sleeping Kind

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue May 08, 2007 6:30 pm UTC

I did do a search and found a few other threads, but they were either about specific dreams, or lucid dreaming, or were very old. Here I figured I'd try to get some help with dream interpretation and discussion, and if that's cool, give me no sign.

It shall be done.

Ok, last night, I had one of my "very very long dreams".... when I'm doped up on sleeping meds, I have dreams that, subjectively, last a VERY long time (days, in dream-time). I'm sick, so my dreams were also unusually vivid (anything that messes with my physiology usually makes my dreams bigger and better). Now, most of the dream isn't too terribly important... we lived in a small town that had been created BY nerds, FOR nerds, on the coast of BC, near Brittania Beach (don't ask). I moved there with my family, and designed most of it. I dream in full color, with sound and everything, just so you all know (yay, epilepsy!)

Anyways, at some point, I apparently saved a girl from... something. I don't even recall the exact situation, but it ended up with me sitting on the sidewalk outside her store, holding her, so I think I saved her from being hit by a car or something. I somehow knew her name, which in real life is the name of someone from a Star Trek game I'm in.... her face was the face of a cute checkout girl at the local grocery store, and her body was the body of.... someone that does not need discussing at this juncture. Anyways, the thanked me for saving her... and we started making out.

For the record, THIS NEVER HAPPENS IN MY DREAMS!! Ever! Growing up, I totally missed out on dreams that were supposed to be 'fun' like that, and I always felt cheated. Anyways, in the dream, I shied away from her (in my dream, as in real life, I was married with two kids) but she promised to meet up with me later, and before I could tell her anything, she left. Later on in the dream, she found me at a restaraunt, and I had to sneak off to the coatroom to talk to her without my family seeing. I explained I was married, and she was discouraged, but she left. Then my dream shifted gears and became some sort of wild-life show mixed with Diablo II.

Now, when I wake up, why do I feel feelings of love and lust and loss for this girl I saw in a dream for two minutes?

Dxh

Postby Dxh » Tue May 08, 2007 6:37 pm UTC

My guess is because when you dream, especially such a long dream, I imagine, parts of your body are still responsive (which is why people talk in their sleep roll over, or, in my case, actually move their arms in respect to what they're dreaming about). So, what probably happened was that the chemical part of your brain started to respond to the imagined stimulii... Whic h would, of course, leave an afterimage of longing in your thoughts for a while. Unless, of course, you happen to have a large history of making out with people and then never seeing them again.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue May 08, 2007 6:42 pm UTC

Quite the opposite... in my entire life, I've kissed four girls, and two of them didn't let me get much farther than that. I have had dreams sort of like this, but a lot of them don't involve physical contact.... I had one when I was ten I STILL remember crystal-clear to this day, and for WEEKS after that dream I couldn't get this girl out of my head, and she'd only said one thing. Dreams affect me really, really hard....and I don't know if that's good or not.

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Tue May 08, 2007 6:51 pm UTC

You don't want to know the dreams that I have dreamed. Don't interpret that the wrong way, I mean they're JUST. TOO. RANDOM.

For instance, I recently dreamt about a secret third Mushroom Kingdom stage in Super Smash Bros. Melee, and I was the first to find it. It looked like this:

Code: Select all

|-----------|
__   |-----------|   __
--|  |-----------|  |--
--|  |-----------|  |--
--|  |-----------|  |--
--|                 |--
--|____   ___   ____|--
-------| |---| |-------
-------|=|---|=|-------

Weird huh?

(EDIT: P.S., the ASCII is probably quite bad, as this was my first serious attempt at it. The equal signs designate blast zone at the bottom of the stage)
Last edited by The LuigiManiac on Tue May 08, 2007 7:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Tue May 08, 2007 7:12 pm UTC

isnt there a stage that looks like that?

miakoda

Postby miakoda » Tue May 08, 2007 7:13 pm UTC

You had still had those feelings upon waking because while you were in the dream, the feelings were real. It's like waking up from a falling dream with a pounding heart and that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach - you weren't really falling physically, but your mind thought it was.
Technically, a death wish isn't a pet. - overcompensating.com

The LuigiManiac

Postby The LuigiManiac » Tue May 08, 2007 7:16 pm UTC

d3adf001 wrote:isnt there a stage that looks like that?

Not with the mass of land hanging down from above the upper blast line, unless there really IS a top secret stage like that.
Spoiler:

Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Anmorata » Tue May 08, 2007 11:07 pm UTC

I was searching for a thread like this, too. Awesome. *subscribes*
Turn your scars into stars.

Dxh

Postby Dxh » Wed May 09, 2007 1:30 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Quite the opposite... in my entire life, I've kissed four girls, and two of them didn't let me get much farther than that.

I'm in almost the same boat. Although, I might not be as old (19) as you. Although, it still amazes me how many girls ARE attracted to someone as geeky as me.

Also, I think its only so many places on this interblag planet that such can be said without risking being laughed at, visciously.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed May 09, 2007 1:34 am UTC

Anmorata wrote:I was searching for a thread like this, too. Awesome. *subscribes*

Searching for a thread about someone else's mental problems to ogle? :)

Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Anmorata » Wed May 09, 2007 1:39 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Anmorata wrote:I was searching for a thread like this, too. Awesome. *subscribes*

Searching for a thread about someone else's mental problems to ogle? :)

Haha, no. :) A thread about dreams, specifically.

hermaj

Re: Dreams - The Sleeping Kind

Postby hermaj » Wed May 09, 2007 2:20 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I did do a search and found a few other threads, but they were either about specific dreams, or lucid dreaming, or were very old. Here I figured I'd try to get some help with dream interpretation and discussion, and if that's cool, give me no sign.

Thankyou for using the search function. Next time, if you find a thread that's along the lines of what you'd like to talk about, we'd much prefer you to just bump it. It's just something for everyone to keep in mind when finding threads. Even if it's really old, we would prefer you to bump the old one.

That said, I'll let you keep this one open - just wanted to issue the reminder. Carry on.

Mighty Jalapeno

Re: Dreams - The Sleeping Kind

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed May 09, 2007 3:06 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:That said, I'll let you keep this one open - just wanted to issue the reminder. Carry on.

Sorry. I've been temp-banned ror bumping old threads. "Christ, dude, just start a new one!" I can't win...

Mat

Postby Mat » Wed May 09, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

I actually had a dream I was being chased by raptors yesterday :shock:

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Wed May 09, 2007 3:54 pm UTC

Mat wrote:I actually had a dream I was being chased by raptors yesterday :shock:

a raptor trick to make you think its a dream when they are really chasing you?
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Mat

Postby Mat » Wed May 09, 2007 3:55 pm UTC

Ah, but I know it was a dream because I'm still alive..

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 09, 2007 4:12 pm UTC

Are you sure you're not in your own personal Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dxh

Postby Dxh » Wed May 09, 2007 6:12 pm UTC

Mat wrote:Ah, but I know it was a dream because I'm still alive..

Ah, but alas! You've turned into a CAT!

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed May 09, 2007 6:17 pm UTC

Dxh wrote:I'm in almost the same boat. Although, I might not be as old (19) as you. Although, it still amazes me how many girls ARE attracted to someone as geeky as me.

26 here. I am amazed by how many girls are attracted to someone as geeky as me, and how I only find out about them after I'm married. :) Seriously, I've been asked out twice since having kids.... I've never been asked out before having kids. Women.... but that's a different thread.

Ok, wierd attachment emotions wore off. Usually they last longer. Maybe I'm getting more cynical?

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu May 10, 2007 1:27 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Dxh wrote:I'm in almost the same boat. Although, I might not be as old (19) as you. Although, it still amazes me how many girls ARE attracted to someone as geeky as me.

26 here. I am amazed by how many girls are attracted to someone as geeky as me, and how I only find out about them after I'm married. :) Seriously, I've been asked out twice since having kids.... I've never been asked out before having kids. Women.... but that's a different thread.

Ok, wierd attachment emotions wore off. Usually they last longer. Maybe I'm getting more cynical?

Hmmm... funnily enough I only got interested in the idea of asking a girl out this year, and I was 17. So I suppose it isn't so surprising I haven't kissed a girl in that sense.

now... dreams...

Last night, I dreamed I was at a guitar store, and I was doing some fairly cool bass solos, and all the bass amps there looked like mine, and all the basses there looked exactly like my bass while also being totally not like my bass. Oh and my friends walked off as soon as I started playing for some unknown reason.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

robjha

Postby robjha » Thu May 10, 2007 1:49 am UTC

the attachment to people in my dreams happens quite often.

the weird thing was- not long ago a friend of mine, whom i have never looked at as more than a friend, popped up in my dream.
we were at the coffee shop we hang out in quite a lot (except in my dream it was situated in the US).. and somehow over a conversation about cutlery i think, we ended up kissing.
ever since this dream i cant help but look at her in a completely differently manner.
i can't figure if i had the feelings before without realising, and my subconscious has brought it to my attention somehow.
or whether it's the same as your thing. Is it a real attatchment im feeling?

iv had dreams of other (fictional) people, the whole saving their life and falling helplessly in love etc.. then for days and days afterwards thought about it like it was a real event.. but then it wears off.
i'll have to see how long this lasts.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Thu May 10, 2007 3:45 am UTC

I have never kissed girls (or boys!) though Im only 14, probably because I am attraqcted to older girls (16/17) as I think I am more mature physically and mentally, and I would hate to go oujt with girls my age *bleuk* Im probably not that attarcted to irls that like me and I go to an all boys school so thats stffs everything up too!

enough about love. Dreams. I never find i have good dreams, always nightmares or really screwed up sit were something goes wrong, im always jealous of people who have good dreams... i like this forum, good idea *subscribes*

Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Anmorata » Thu May 10, 2007 3:56 am UTC

It's interesting.. I've also found myself with attachment to people in dreams that wasn't there previously, or with total strangers. It's bewildering, and while I'm of the belief that my dreams are my creative outlets (because I don't think I'm creative in the least bit.. I have a pretty linear train of thought), they confuse me often. I find it very, very hard to talk about my dreams. They can be very Dali-esque. Even trying to describe driving down a road can be hard for me, because there's just so much that I can't explain.

Here's one for you all - have you ever had dreams in which you had vivid, believable memories of things that have never actually happened? This happens to me all the time. I don't know if they are completely fabricated and complex for each dream, or if they're memories of other dreams. I really can't tell when I wake up.

I also have common themes in my dreams, the top 3 being: airports, tornadoes, and romantic/sexual interests (specifically Kate Moennig, as of the last year or so, but occasionally it'll be one of my acquaintances that I find particularly attractive). My subconscious has a lot more fun than I do. :P

I love the days when I can sleep in.. I thrive sleep deprived, but on the weekends, it's not uncommon for me to get lost in the dreamworld for 10+ hours. And despite having plenty of sleep, I absolutely can get lost in there, refusing to awake until I have resolution to whatever is going on at the time. I cherish my sleep, and my colorful, vivid dreams.

Dxh

Postby Dxh » Thu May 10, 2007 1:52 pm UTC

Anmorata wrote:It's interesting.. I've also found myself with attachment to people in dreams that wasn't there previously, or with total strangers. It's bewildering, and while I'm of the belief that my dreams are my creative outlets (because I don't think I'm creative in the least bit.. I have a pretty linear train of thought), they confuse me often. I find it very, very hard to talk about my dreams. They can be very Dali-esque. Even trying to describe driving down a road can be hard for me, because there's just so much that I can't explain.

Here's one for you all - have you ever had dreams in which you had vivid, believable memories of things that have never actually happened? This happens to me all the time. I don't know if they are completely fabricated and complex for each dream, or if they're memories of other dreams. I really can't tell when I wake up.

I also have common themes in my dreams, the top 3 being: airports, tornadoes, and romantic/sexual interests (specifically Kate Moennig, as of the last year or so, but occasionally it'll be one of my acquaintances that I find particularly attractive). My subconscious has a lot more fun than I do. :P

I love the days when I can sleep in.. I thrive sleep deprived, but on the weekends, it's not uncommon for me to get lost in the dreamworld for 10+ hours. And despite having plenty of sleep, I absolutely can get lost in there, refusing to awake until I have resolution to whatever is going on at the time. I cherish my sleep, and my colorful, vivid dreams.

Actually, I rarely remember my dreams, except when they're the type that are so realistic (talking to a friend, taking a test, etc) that there's no reason they couldn't be real. And they certainly FEEL real. Many times I've gotten into a conversation with someone, and I'll be like, "remember that one time you said "such and such"?" And they'll be like, "Uhh... Pretty sure I never said that..." At which point I feel really stupid, because chances are, it was a dream...

robjha

Postby robjha » Thu May 10, 2007 2:41 pm UTC

does this happen to anyone else?:
you wake up to your alarm one day, and shut it off..
and (unknowingly) fall back to sleep.
what follows is a vivid dream of getting out of bed, getting dressed, eating breakfast etc. eventually leaving the house.. only to wake up and find you are still in bed and now late for work.
it's happened a lot recently. and it feels so real.
i think it's a sign that i should go to bed earlier rather than lurking around the fora.
Last edited by robjha on Thu May 10, 2007 3:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pete

Postby pete » Thu May 10, 2007 3:27 pm UTC

I was 'trapped' in a dream a while back, where I'd think I'd woken up, started making coffee etc. (remembering the previous dream) only to find I was still dreaming. That cycle repeated at least 6 or 7 times before I finally woke up. Scared the crap out of me. I remember deciding that I must have died in my sleep and this was some kind of afterlife (not a good one in my case).

Wouldn't want one like that again.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu May 10, 2007 4:33 pm UTC

Anmorata wrote:Here's one for you all - have you ever had dreams in which you had vivid, believable memories of things that have never actually happened? This happens to me all the time. I don't know if they are completely fabricated and complex for each dream, or if they're memories of other dreams. I really can't tell when I wake up.

I actually have false memories that I know to be false (most of them involve me hearing a song years before that song was actually sung).

Anmorata wrote:I also have common themes in my dreams, the top 3 being: airports, tornadoes, and romantic/sexual interests (specifically Kate Moennig, as of the last year or so, but occasionally it'll be one of my acquaintances that I find particularly attractive).

Mine are: moving to a new town, going to college and living in a dorm, or wierd mish-mashes of TV and video games. I'm usually fleeing someone in all of them, and often meeting and falling in love in a lot of them, but in a bunch I'm as I am in real life, IE, married with two kids, and I'm protecting them from... whatever.

A few weeks ago, I had a dream that I was in bed, sleeping. It was very surreal.

The LuigiManiac

Postby The LuigiManiac » Thu May 10, 2007 5:19 pm UTC

I also once had a dream where I was shot and and killed at Costco, for what appeared to be no reason. Then the "camera angle" changed so it was looking down at the scene of the crime. As it climbed higher and higher, I saw a bunch of Government of Canada symbols and logos, and I heard "Brought to you by the Government of Canada". Then I woke up.

I had this dream back when government-sponsored commercials were aired quite frequently. It was freaky, and I was scared to go to Costco for a few weeks after I had the dream.
Spoiler:

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu May 10, 2007 5:22 pm UTC

The LuigiManiac wrote:I also once had a dream where I was shot and and killed at Costco, for what appeared to be no reason. Then the "camera angle" changed so it was looking down at the scene of the crime. As it climbed higher and higher, I saw a bunch of Government of Canada symbols and logos, and I heard "Brought to you by the Government of Canada". Then I woke up.

I had a dream I was a cameraguy for your dream... :) Heh, not quite.

However, I have had dreams with commercials. Like, I'll be doing something in the dream, there'll be a Canadian Tire Ad (my favorite is for a ride-on lawn Roomba that my brain thought up), and then it goes BACK TO THE DREAM.

DAMN YOU, CAPITALISM!

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Thu May 10, 2007 5:33 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
The LuigiManiac wrote:I also once had a dream where I was shot and and killed at Costco, for what appeared to be no reason. Then the "camera angle" changed so it was looking down at the scene of the crime. As it climbed higher and higher, I saw a bunch of Government of Canada symbols and logos, and I heard "Brought to you by the Government of Canada". Then I woke up.

I had a dream I was a cameraguy for your dream... :) Heh, not quite.

However, I have had dreams with commercials. Like, I'll be doing something in the dream, there'll be a Canadian Tire Ad (my favorite is for a ride-on lawn Roomba that my brain thought up), and then it goes BACK TO THE DREAM.

DAMN YOU, CAPITALISM!

The advertisement drug is WORKING!

[/failure at attempt to better a futurama ref]
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu May 10, 2007 5:34 pm UTC

No lightspeed underwear for you! Mine just says "FTL".

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu May 10, 2007 5:36 pm UTC

Mine too. I like to imagine that my boxers are an element of warp-drive...
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

lukkucairi

Postby lukkucairi » Fri May 11, 2007 2:32 am UTC

pete wrote:I was 'trapped' in a dream a while back, where I'd think I'd woken up, started making coffee etc. (remembering the previous dream) only to find I was still dreaming. That cycle repeated at least 6 or 7 times before I finally woke up. Scared the crap out of me. I remember deciding that I must have died in my sleep and this was some kind of afterlife (not a good one in my case).

wasn't there a Stephen King short story like that?

I seem to remember a woman trapped in purgatory - she'd been in a plane crash...

man, when I was a kid I used to have recurring dreams. one where I'd be walking along and then climbing a set of steps, and I'd always miss the third one - jerk my legs for real and wake myself up.

weirdest thing that happens once in a very rare while is I'll hear voices, just as I'm waking up. a few months before my father kicked it, I woke up to my mom's voice telling me he'd died (he was very sick, so this wasn't particularly psychic) - I called her to make sure, and he was still alive.

the xkcd a few weeks back about the dream about the coordinates? I can relate!

neurotransmitters, dude - they're weird stuff.

The LuigiManiac

Postby The LuigiManiac » Fri May 11, 2007 2:48 am UTC

pete wrote:I was 'trapped' in a dream a while back, where I'd think I'd woken up, started making coffee etc. (remembering the previous dream) only to find I was still dreaming. That cycle repeated at least 6 or 7 times before I finally woke up. Scared the crap out of me. I remember deciding that I must have died in my sleep and this was some kind of afterlife (not a good one in my case).

I didn't even notice this post before. I've had one cycling dream like that before, and it was also set in the morning. The only major difference is that I was younger when I had it, and I didn't think I had died or anything like that. That, and I didn't have coffee.
Spoiler:

pete

Postby pete » Fri May 11, 2007 7:08 am UTC

Mine had puppies too.

Small dream snippet:

I wake up late for work, really late. Phone, wallet, watch and car keys are gone. Figure I must have been drinking pretty hard the night before since I can't remember what happened. As I'm rushing to get dressed to see if I still had a car downstairs, someone pounds on the door.

A bag-lady is there trying to sell puppies. Lots of puppies. They keep running in through my security gate faster than I can push them out. The more I try to convince her I don't have time for this the more agressive she becomes. She says if I don't buy them they'll starve, and I might as well kill them myself, then and there (hands me a hypodermic needle).

I get extremely pissed off at her and do it. One by one, staring them in the eye. They kind of withered into a sack of bones each time. Understand that I love puppies (and animals in general) so I cried pretty bad. When they were all dead I stood up and told her to fuck off.

I know it sounds like a movie or something but it really happened. That was the most disturbing dream of my life (only one small part of it by the way). Luckily they've never been that bad again.

darwinsbeagle

Postby darwinsbeagle » Fri May 11, 2007 7:44 am UTC

My dreams are almost all nightmares. Someone or something is always hunting me. (Yes, hunting. The playing field is never level, so it cannot be correctly deemed a chase.)

I've had several of those dreams wherein you get out of bed, go about your typical wake up routine - only to find that the mafia, aliens, werewolves, goverment agents, lynchmobs, poltergiests, etc are still there. And are still very much trying to kill you. *shudder*

I suppose vivid dreams would be great if you get to have the romantic kind previously described. However, for me verisimilitude serves to compound the terror.

I suppose the point is - better to wake up with longing for dream girl than with fear for imminent painful demise.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ski there too.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri May 11, 2007 8:04 am UTC

Well, if you searched the other dream threads you would've seen mine.

Now what I DIDN'T tell you, is after that crazy Samurai section it turned into crazy starcraft+teleportation and futuristic crazyness. Which was quiet amusing.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Messiah

Postby Messiah » Fri May 11, 2007 8:31 am UTC

Anyone know the actual psychological facts behind dreams? Like, when they occur, how long etc? I remember being told at some point earlier that dreams only last for about 4 seconds of real time, and happen repeatedly through the night, but only in a certain sleep period. Despite this, I seem to still "dream" if I've woken up, then gone back to sleep for 15min. Might just be very vivid daydreaming though. Or maybe those dream "facts" are rubbish.

Going back a bit, an infatuation with a particular person after a dream is completely normal. I had one for Jess from BB01 that lasted about 4 weeks. No idea why, dream Jess was not really like real Jess. But the infatuation was just ridiculously overwhelming. I had one last night with Dita Von Teese. No idea why. Except of course for the fact that she's a gorgeous female.
"The possession of anything begins in the mind" - Bruce Lee

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri May 11, 2007 8:38 am UTC

I have had dreams carry on into my half-awakenness state, but after a few seconds I realize that the feeling is totally different, and now I'm not hallucinating I'm just imagining.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Berge

Postby Berge » Fri May 11, 2007 9:34 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:26 here. I am amazed by how many girls are attracted to someone as geeky as me, and how I only find out about them after I'm married. Smile Seriously, I've been asked out twice since having kids.... I've never been asked out before having kids.

I believe George Costanza conclusively proved that wearing a wedding band makes you more attractive.
Last edited by Berge on Fri May 11, 2007 9:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”