Do you find hearing about people's dreams boring?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Yes.
14%
No.
43%
Yes, if they go on for too long.
43%

Total votes: 77

screech

Postby screech » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:53 pm UTC

This is something that I have been pondering. I often see pop culture references (like from our very own webcomic, though I can't find the link to the right one at the moment) that listening to other people's dreams is rather boring. But in my little sphere it's quite rare I find it boring as a casual topic, and most people I know seem to share this sentiment.

So due to this jarring disjunction between my experiences and what the all-knowing media tells me, I thought I'd turn to the internet to break the argument.
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

sje46

Re: Do you find hearing about people's dreams boring?

Postby sje46 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:03 pm UTC

My dreams are never boring. I was a MICHAEL JACKSON MOOSE. I mean it! I was like, Oh me yarm, and then we played marbles. Then something else happened, and we were in Nevada. True story.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:15 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:My dreams are never boring. I was a MICHAEL JACKSON MOOSE. I mean it! I was like, Oh me yarm, and then we played marbles. Then something else happened, and we were in Nevada. True story.

This is why hearing about other peoples dreams is boring. It's just random streams of consciousness. Usually after hearing this sort of stuff, the person will say "so what do you think it means?", and then I (being the psych nerd that I am) feel required to explain that people and objects in dreams mean different things to different people and that the most important part of the dream is the prevailing emotions that you experienced, not the actual events.

AwesomeJosh

Postby AwesomeJosh » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:42 am UTC

I never ask what someone thinks my dream means. I don't think dreams mean anything, because I believe that they are just a way of your brain assimilating all of the knowledge that it absorbed that day.

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:50 am UTC

Dreams are surreal. Surrealism is never boring. I find them fascinating.
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:00 am UTC

Dreams are usually boring. Surreality is only interesting if it conflicts with reality...that is, if something highly unlikely and unusual happens in real life, or in fiction, when you suspend disbelief, you're accepting the fictional world as reality, and then the author can inject surreality, and it's still awesome because you accept it, to some extent.

But you can't suspend disbelief when someone is telling a dream, because dreams have almost no narrative structure to it. It's only interesting to the dreamer himself, because his belief was suspended...greatly. It means something emotionally to him.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

jeszjesz

Postby jeszjesz » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:00 am UTC

sje46 wrote:My dreams are never boring. I was a MICHAEL JACKSON MOOSE. I mean it! I was like, Oh me yarm, and then we played marbles. Then something else happened, and we were in Nevada. True story.

*YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN*
"My heart is nothing more than an engine forged from the remnants of a dead star" - Kimiko Ross (Dresden Codak - Anagoge Starring Tiny Carl Jung)

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:13 am UTC

Some dreams are interesting, but some of them suffer from "penguin of doom" syndrome--they're so random or unstructured that it ceases to be interesting at all.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

AnnaArmour

Postby AnnaArmour » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:22 am UTC

Descriptions of dreams give you a sense of what a person has been thinking about and what kind of mood they've been in, which is something that people don't ordinarily tell you directly.

...Of course, some people's heads aren't especially interesting. So I suppose it could go either way, depending on whose dream is being described.

Edit: My biology teacher recently described a dream that involved baking, cats stealthily slipping into/sleeping in an oven, and the removal of said cats with a spatula. I deem this not boring.
Last edited by AnnaArmour on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:37 am UTC

Sometimes they can be funny because they're so random ("and then Kermit airlifted us to Botswana and we ate fish and chips for breakfast"), but usually I'm only entertained if the people telling me their dreams start of with "So I had the weirdest dream about you the other night..."
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:43 am UTC

I don't mean to imply that I'm really impatient with other people's dreams, of course. If it involves me, or anything else that interests me (which is nothing), then I'd probably enjoy listening to it. But usually people project the interest in the dream on other people. It's kinda irritating, like when people are start singing to a song playing on the radio when you're trying to tell them something...like "yeah, I get it, you like the song/dream, but I really don't want to wait three minutes before I can continue the conversation".

Maybe my friends just suck though.

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:19 am UTC

I generally do like hearing about other people's dreams, even if they're just exhaustive accounts of surreal nonsense, but I think I just have a high tolerance for that. I do agree, though, that it's much more interesting when the dream seems to be trying really hard to have a narrative structure and sense of logic, and therefore the inconsistencies stand out more ("I crawled through a vent into the past, where I saved the world using the transdimensional properties of socks"), than the ones that are just thought salad ("...and they took the omelettes to the vampire retirement home and this horse named Harry showed up and licked my face...") I suppose that's what Sir_Elderberry was saying about the "penguin of doom" thing before.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

screech wrote:like from our very own webcomic, though I can't find the link to the right one at the moment

http://xkcd.com/430/
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:31 pm UTC

May I just very briefly (without going individual xkcd comic threads) say that comic 430 is beautifully drawn and exactly captures the dream-forgetting-then-telling-someone experience? I don't believe I'd seen that one before.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

I like listening to dreams, I find them interesting. Although I agree, too random and they aren't interesting; they become boring. If theres realism or a logical connection they can be cool and random though.
"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
— Oscar Wilde

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:32 am UTC

I will always listen to people if they're talking about their dreams, just to see if they are interesting. Sometimes they are, sometimes they're not.
I think I also do because I often find myself telling other people about mine if I think they're interesting so I think I owe it to the rest of humanity to listen.

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:09 pm UTC

Telling people your dreams are like telling people that joke that you really needed to be there for to find it funny.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Flightless_bird

Postby Flightless_bird » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:35 pm UTC

I love to hear about a friend's dream because it gives me a deeper perspective of their personality. Also it usually gives all of us a pretty good laugh because dreams are almost always random and chaotic and you also tend to forget huge parts of them. But as some people have implied unless it's someone near to me it's just not interesting.
Trying is the first step towards failure

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:23 pm UTC

If the dream is entertaining, I don't mind. But, if the person rambles on, then I lose interest.

As a side note, I really, really love it when people talk about lucid dreaming. I find lucid dreaming fascinating. I and several of my friends are trying to learn how to do it better. In fact, in roughly 25% of my dreams* I am able to assert some level of control.

*that I remember. I have an awful lot that I don't remember. :(
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

I enjoy listening to people's dreams when I can work out what part of their day or where in their mind that thought or idea for the dream came from, but even when it's totally random, dreams can be pretty amusing, sometimes it's no different to hearing a very random anecdote. No, I can't say I've ever really been bored listening to someone talk about a dream.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Return to “General”