INTRO THREAD 2.0: INTRODUCE YOURSELF OR PERISH!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

coelacanth!

Postby coelacanth! » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:20 am UTC

Yo!

Name: coelacanth

Why you're awesome: I'm a prehistoric fish.

Why you read xkcd: Am also a reader of Sinfest and there was recently a thread where people posted other comics they read. Obviously, xkcd was a popular one. I also admired the "sudo make me a sandwich" comic.

Newton or Leibniz: Newton.

Innie or Outie: I don't have one.

If you were a dead language, which one and why: Pictish, because it's spoken by bums in Scotland, and I happen to find that interesting.

Under velociraptor attack, what would you try to do to save your life before accepting your inevitable death?: Tail slap!

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:13 pm UTC

My appendix is an outie. Just FYI.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

jamessw

Postby jamessw » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:26 pm UTC

coelacanth! wrote:Why you're awesome: I'm a prehistoric fish.

I would imagine that this places some limitations on your ability to use the internet? Image

Welcome to the boards, nether the less.
~ james

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:28 pm UTC

The coelacanth is extinct? I didn't know that. :oops:

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:39 pm UTC

I thought they found one off Madagascar.

*checks wiki*

Yup. So good news. You're not prehistoric. You're old, but still current.
Never tell me the odds - Han Solo

Clockwork

Postby Clockwork » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:48 pm UTC

Name: Ariel

Why you're awesome: I'm a wealth of absolutely trivial knowledge.

Why you read xkcd: Some odd writing in a bathroom stall led me here.

Innie or Outie: Innie.

If you were a dead language, which one and why: Ancient Macedonian, because if you're going to be dead, you might as well do it thoroughly.

Under velociraptor attack, what would you try to do to save your life before accepting your inevitable death?: Duck and cover. And scream, probably.

bbctol

Postby bbctol » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:20 pm UTC

I will now post an introduction under the new, unofficial, and excellent template.

Name: bbctol

Why you're awesome: If you have to ask that, you're clearly not paying attention to me.

Why you read xkcd: Is there something else I should be doing?

Newton or Leibniz: Mah man NewTON!

Innie or Outie: Neither. I'm... KYLE XY! Yeah, I hate that show too. Oh, innie.

If you were a dead language, which one would you be: Proto-Indo-European for the win! Don't mess with being the root of all natural languages! Well, except Native American stuff. And Basque, or whatever.

Under velociraptor attack, what would you try to do to save your life before accepting your inevitable death?: Shout "DAMN this'll be a great blog entry!"

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:30 pm UTC

Guys, these questions of Somnia's are really awesome, but there's one little problem. Since no-one knows who is talking about genitals and who is talking about belly buttons, and even though I feel like I have to say this all the time...

CAN WE PLEASE ALL SPECIFY OUR GENDERS IN OUR POSTS KTHXBI

Yeah. See what I did there? I even got the mod pen out. This means I really mean it. I don't know how to address the last few new posters, and I'm particularly concerned about coelacanth there! So if people could start doing that, I'm sure it would be much appreciated by everyone. Just put it in there right under name and I'm sure it'll catch on.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:52 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:
German Sausage wrote:psst! i think its in the crotchular region.

You mean... hips?

I think he means the Penis.

Man, I feel like I'm in High School again. Man was the penis game dumb...

Even though we all know that there are no girls on the internet (They're too busy on the Intertubeblag) I'm still.... not a girl. Or woman. Though we could argue on whether or not I'm a boy, a man, or just a guy. I prefer to think of myself as Emperor of Spain, Despite Having Never Been There (EoSDHNBT).
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:30 pm UTC

What the hell, I'm bored...

Name: Hawknc (Nathan)

Why you're awesome: I use the word awesome a lot. Wait, what was the question?

Why you read xkcd: To get chicks (Post mortem note: user was killed by his wife for this answer)

Newton or Leibniz: I know I'm not the only person who Googled this question. Thus I will defer to Wikipedia on this and say Appleboy.

Innie or Outie: Though I feel this question deserves photographic evidence, I don't feel you all deserve to be exposed to that, so I'll just say innie and you can trust me.

If you were a dead language, which one would you be: Kakadu, mostly because we killed it

Under velociraptor attack, what would you try to do to save your life before accepting your inevitable death?: If I saw it coming in time, I'd rig the whole house with explosives and a dead man's switch, a la T2 and take their scaly hides with me to hell.

anfurny

Alex

Postby anfurny » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:55 pm UTC

Hello, I'm Alex. I doubt many people are going to read through all the boring chatter to forty pages deep, but perhaps somebody bothered to search posts by username?

If so, you wasted your time, I'm not going to put a whole lot of effort into something nobody will read forty pages deep.

I program (c/c++, vb, ASM, php), play go, am interested in psychology and strategies for life, excel at math, and am a major fan of logic. I realize most humans are idiotic in systematic ways, even ones with high IQs, especially if young. (awk)

Please rewrite and resubmit.

Marbas

Re: Alex

Postby Marbas » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:07 pm UTC

anfurny wrote:Hello, I'm Alex. I doubt many people are going to read through all the boring chatter to fourty pages deep, but perhaps somebody bothered to search posts by username?

If so, you wasted your time, I'm not going to put a whole lot of effort into something nobody will read fourty pages deep.

I program (c/c++, vb, ASM, php), play go, interested in psychology and strategies for life, excel at math, and am a major fan of logic. I realize most humans are idiotic in systematic ways, even ones with high IQs, especially if young.

YOU WIN A COOKIE!

le_sacre

Postby le_sacre » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:19 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:CAN WE PLEASE ALL SPECIFY OUR GENDERS IN OUR POSTS KTHXBI

but some people would argue that gender is not essential to identity, and prefer not to have their online interactions colored by sexual stereotypes.

i'm a guy, though.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:25 pm UTC

Then at least specify a pronoun by which we can address you, it doesn't have to be gender-specific if you don't want it to be. I think that's the crux of the issue.

Edit: to avoid hypocrisy, though it's probably evident by now, he/his/him/variations on a theme are fine for me.

MFHodge

Re: Alex

Postby MFHodge » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:29 pm UTC

anfurny wrote:Hello, I'm Alex. I doubt many people are going to read through all the boring chatter to fourty pages deep, but perhaps somebody bothered to search posts by username?

Some of us check this thread several times a day and read all the new posts to meet all the new members.

So, you are not un-noticed, Alex. Welcome.

cricket134

Postby cricket134 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:16 pm UTC

hey all.
name's cricket
I got the female part of things when god was doling out the naughty bits.

a friend of mine showed me xkcd a couple weeks ago. most of the humor (except for the high tech computer jokes) rings true for me, so instead of saying "oh, that's cute" and forgetting about it, I came back the next day and read the entire archive.

why I'm not a boring person: I like to go skinny dipping in the rain.

who here has read anything by Daniel Quinn? (I'm always looking for ppl to discuss his idea's with)
"You were once shoved headfirst through someone's vagina. why are you acting so dignified?"

bbctol

Postby bbctol » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:32 pm UTC

cricket134 wrote:who here has read anything by Daniel Quinn? (I'm always looking for ppl to discuss his idea's with)

Ooh! Me me me! Personally, I think what he is saying is entirely true, but he doesn't make a good plan for humanity, and it doesn't really matter because we aren't going to change until we go extinct, no matter how hard we try. But I less than three Daniel Quinn.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:51 pm UTC

cricket134 wrote:why I'm not a boring person: I like to go skinny dipping in the rain.

Hi, cricket. Are you the insect or the sport?

It must rain very hard to get deep enough to go skinny dipping in. Any pictures of this must be posted in the appropriate thread. Unless you are too young. Then don't.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:58 pm UTC

Since I haven't actually introduced myself yet...

Name: Durinthal (male)
Why you're awesome: Because I've seen more of the Internet than any reasonable human being.
Why you read xkcd: Because I've seen more of the Internet than any reasonable human being.
Newton or Leibniz?: Leibniz by far. dy/dx is the only way to go.
Innie or Outie?: (sidestep) I actually prefer to be outside when it's not burning or freezing. Despite that I spend most of my time indoors.
If you were a dead language, which one and why?: Esperanto (okay, it's not dead, but it never really lived in the first place)
Under velociraptor attack, what would you try to do to save your life before accepting your inevitable death?: Run away! Run away!

UnidentifiedFlyingCupcake

Postby UnidentifiedFlyingCupcake » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:05 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:
reach42 wrote:the part of the body that determines gender. . .

The y chromosome?

I was going to say... :P The 23rd pair of chromosomes?

SpitValve wrote:You mean... hips?

But what if you're a girl without hips?!

Anyway, reintroducing:
Name: UnidentifiedFlyingCupcake, UFC or Suz.
Why I'm awesome: I frequently make my fingers into claws, stick out my butt and run around shrieking piercingly, pretending to be a velociraptor. With three friends. In the middle of school.
Why I read xkcd: Nerdy friends made me this way.
Newton or Leibniz: Depends what I'm doing. Usually Newton, but Leibniz for a few things.
Innie or Outie: Innie, either way you're thinking about it. (And I don't have an appendix anymore, in case you were wondering.)
If I were a dead language, which one and why: Sumerian cuneiform, because I'm all about the writing.
Under a velociraptor attack, what I would do to try to save my life: Grab a raptor for a partner and dance one last tango.
Silly things do cease to be silly when they are done by sensible people in an impudent manner. ~Jane Austen, Emma
If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you. ~Oscar Wilde

Leliel

Postby Leliel » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:32 pm UTC

Greetings!

See, a post! Please do not relegate me to bin of unpersons and suspected bots. I am an electrical engineer specialized in power system analysis. (This is the point where most people's eyes start to glaze over. But, wait, I get to use imaginary numbers daily! Come back?)

I have 5 ferrets, none of whom would consent to wear wings. They are, however, excellent sources of entropy should you find yourself in need of such.

Random favorites include the writings of Asimov, the music of the Crüxshadows and dancing, especially bellydance.

Thanks!

(And since it was requested, the appropriate pronoun to use is "she.")

ehird

Postby ehird » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:49 pm UTC

I don't want to perish

but I have nothing interesting to say.

Forgive me.

cricket134

Postby cricket134 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:02 pm UTC

I'm a little black insect. witha little black keyboard. and I sneak into houses to get wireless.

the name comes from the bug (why would anyone want to be named after a sport?)

VTHodge-why would you want pictures of a head sticking out of a pond in the rain? pretty boring. and blurry. :D

amusments for when it's not raining include guitar, poetry, and reading good books.

bbctol- part of D.Q.'s point is that he's not here to tell us how to go about saving humanity. he's just pointing out what's wrong, and showing us other ways that have worked in the past. it's up to us to find a way to incorporate what he's told us into a way of living that won't kill us off.
"You were once shoved headfirst through someone's vagina. why are you acting so dignified?"

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:05 pm UTC

bbctol wrote:
cricket134 wrote:who here has read anything by Daniel Quinn? (I'm always looking for ppl to discuss his idea's with)

Ooh! Me me me! Personally, I think what he is saying is entirely true, but he doesn't make a good plan for humanity, and it doesn't really matter because we aren't going to change until we go extinct, no matter how hard we try. But I less than three Daniel Quinn.

Spot on. I have little to add, excepting that I thought the writing style of Ishmael wasn't great; there were points I thought the plot was distracting. Manifest-o-novels bother me a bit (though I enjoy them too - 1984 is my favourite book and is blatantly manifestastic in places).

UnidentifiedFlyingCupcake wrote:...
Anyway, reintroducing:
Name: UnidentifiedFlyingCupcake, UFC or Suz or Eragon or Crapcake

Fixed.
You're welcome!

bbctol

Postby bbctol » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:26 pm UTC

cricket134 wrote:bbctol- part of D.Q.'s point is that he's not here to tell us how to go about saving humanity. he's just pointing out what's wrong, and showing us other ways that have worked in the past. it's up to us to find a way to incorporate what he's told us into a way of living that won't kill us off.

What I meant his that his idea of humanity, while it wouldn't kill us off immediately, is still a deeply flawed one.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:31 pm UTC

cricket134 wrote:VTHodge-why would you want pictures of a head sticking out of a pond in the rain? pretty boring. and blurry. :D

Everybody's got their thing. Mine is ponds. What of it? :)

luminosity

Postby luminosity » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:38 am UTC

cricket134 wrote:pond in the rain

You are a good person.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:48 am UTC

Ooh, a bandwagon!

Name: Nougat for short, if four syllables is too much for you.
Why you're awesome: Wordplay and inspired ranting.
Why you read xkcd: Same reason I <3 Futurama. You have to be smart to get the best jokes.
Newton or Leibniz: Leibniz.
Innie or Outie: Innie belly button, outie crotchparts.
If you were a dead language etc: Anything, as long as it's spoken with a righteous Cockney accent. (for maximum lulz)
Under velociraptor attack: Pee myself ( :oops: ), then rely on my gooey texture to avoid being entirely consumed.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Yuska

Postby Yuska » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:19 am UTC

Name: They call me Yuska the Uber.

Why you're awesome: Apparently, Im just that damn cool.

Why you read xkcd: My friend recomended it to me, and, I got hooked :D

If you were a dead language, which one and why: Latin, if it's considered dead :D Why, because it's simply the best.

Under velociraptor attack, what would you try to do to save your life before accepting your inevitable death?: Summon my legion of undead minions to do away with the oversized lizards.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:33 am UTC

Welcome (Officially) to xkcd! Now get back to guessing someone!

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:46 am UTC

Apparently there's a formula for introductions, which I suppose I'll follow.. 34 pages is a prodigious length for a month-old thread (at least where I come from); hopefully y'all'll forgive me for failing to read through it all, but I suspect it'll be ok.

Name: Paul, in real life, but Masily or Masily box works here too.

Why you're awesome: I know a lot about Marc Okrand's other made-up language, Atlantean (from the Disney movie, no less). Besides, I make up my own languages, and'm a big fan of classical music.

Why you read xkcd: I would suspect that xkcd's my soulmate, if I didn't actually suspect that he's my subconscious drawing webcomics while I'm not looking. It's my way of keeping track of what I'm up to during those long, inexplicable blackouts.

Newton or Leibniz: Meh. Can't I choose Euler? (Of the two, Leibnitz is of course by far the better choice.)

Innie or Outie: Innie, lefty, male, strange, tea, Picard. Oh, and pop.

If you were a dead language, which one and why: Biblical Hebrew. So I'd know I was gonna come back as a zombie.

Under velociraptor attack, what would you try to do to save your life before accepting your inevitable death?: Lock it in a walk-in freezer while staying at a beta-version of my eccentric grandpa's amusement park. Really, folks, have we learned nothing from the cinema?

Hm, well, that pretty much summarizes my entire identity. I guess that means I'm out of useful things to contribute, so so long!...

Karrion

Postby Karrion » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Name: Karrion.

Why you're awesome: My awesomeness is axiomatic.

Why you read xkcd: For the velociraptor survival tips, of course.

Newton or Leibniz: ∫

If you were a dead language, which one and why: Cumbric, I don't know why.

Under velociraptor attack, what would you try to do to save your life before accepting your inevitable death?: Take off and nuke the site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:42 am UTC

Can I just point out that the formula for introductions is entirely voluntary: feel free to improvise or post whatever you feel like really.

Name/age/where you're from and what you do is a good start though.

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:01 am UTC

Ah, well, in that case, a little more traditional of an introduction:

I'm a 20-year-old (until recently 19; not sure how I feel about the change) college student from Michigan, just done with my second year. As aforementioned (or aforealluded-to, at least), I've got a passion for languages, which until recently had me convinced that I wanted to study linguistics in school. But, I think, I'm really a music student at heart, so I'm seeing where that's taking me.

Uh, I find that I don't like talking about myself too much, 'cause I'm pretty sure I get most of it wrong. So I think I'll just leave it at this and see you all out there...

reach42

Postby reach42 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:04 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:
German Sausage wrote:psst! i think its in the crotchular region.

You mean... hips?

mine don't lie.

also
<---
Totally a dude.

dragonarcher8812

Postby dragonarcher8812 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:18 am UTC

Hello All!

Lets see, what to tell the lovely people that inhabit the xkcd boards?

Well, I'm 18 and will soon be moving to Philadelphia for college. Bots don't get to go to college, so I'm pretty sure that means I'm not a bot. I'll be majoring in biology, which pretty exciting... Though not as exciting as having an outie appendix, or being a prehistoric fish. Or even having hips that don't lie. I wonder if my hips have ever lied.

*looks at hips*

I dunno, but I do like my skirt.

*Fun Fact* Honestly, I cried when I read the comic "letting go." Tears, sniffles, the whole lot. It sounds sad, but I run ubuntu and... that comic brought back every break up. Its just like deleting the (now ex) boyfriend's cell phone number.

I feel terrible ending my post on such a sad note, so onto another *Fun Fact* I'm working at the library of congress this summer. Does that make me a librarian? (current comic = advantages of dating librarians) The thought of snapping a spine of a book makes me wince and whimper....
Last edited by dragonarcher8812 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:36 am UTC

Masily box wrote:Innie or Outie: ... strange...

Your favourite... quark?

Masily box wrote:Newton or Leibniz: Meh. Can't I choose Euler? (Of the two, Leibnitz is of course by far the better choice.)

NO. On the grounds that his method is a pain in the ass.

SpitValve wrote:Can I just point out that the formula for introductions is entirely voluntary: feel free to improvise or post whatever you feel like really.

Name/age/where you're from and what you do is a good start though.

Indeed. I actually posted that 'template' as a joke. I wasn't even sure the person I provided it for was going to use it. Glad to see it caught on, though :D

mybadluck22

Postby mybadluck22 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:54 am UTC

Name: mybadluck22, or, in analog land, Sterling

Why you're awesome: I have heard from a number of reputable sources that I can perform any task if I put my mind to said task. That's pretty cool. I live on the Internet, like many of you. I used to be a competition Yo-yoer. I collect useless talents. Recently, I won money from my school by getting the highest score in my school on a nationwide math/logic test. I program and tutor programming for dollars. I was on a robotics team for FIRST this year, and we did very well (Second in one regional, first in another). I have managed to build an active social life with a circle of friends comprised almost exclusively of geeks from various fields. I have gotten a few of them hooked on xkcd. That's pretty cool.

Why you read xkcd: I appreciate nearly every joke on here. It is pretty cool to be in on these jokes, while most people are on the outside saying "I do not understand!" I suppose that means that I read xkcd due to elitism.

Newton or Leibniz?: I used to be Newton, but have since seen the practicality of Leibniz.
Innie or Outie?: Innie. Once, in highschool, I stuck a skittle in my bellybutton. I left it in there for 3 days, and on the fourth it fell out. It melted and rehardened a few times, and became one with my skin in the process. Can't do that with an outie.

If you were a dead language, which one and why?: Pascal. It's fun, but quirky. Of course you can get real work done with it, sure, but it has a strange personality not seen so much in any of the languages I've seen.

And finally,
Under velociraptor attack, what would you try to do to save your life before accepting your inevitable death?: Hiding is the first thing that comes to mind, but, you know. That won't work for more than a couple minutes tops. Locking myself in a relatively secure area might slow them down long enough for me to find a good projectile or bladed weapon to attempt to fight. Given ducttape, I might attempt to make some basic armor, as well.

So, yeah. Hey guys. Nice to meet you. I play games on the internet too (Mostly UT 2004) and if you want to play chess with me or beat me at internet scrabble, feel free to PM me!

Here is what I am adding in my edit:
I just read dragonarchersomething's post, and thought of more stuff to say here, so I don't fill up other threads talking about me.
I'm 18, male, and just finished my second year of college. I go to Glendale Community College, and after going here for another year, plan to attend UC Irvine for Computer Science. My favorite color is yellow. I actually posted for the first time after reading the letting go discussion. I had to remove my exgirlfriend's account on my server, once. It went about the same way. I'm cool too, right? :wink:

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:12 am UTC

Of course. I envy you for being able to afford UC Irvine, but then I'm out-of-state.... Welcome.

Serdic

Postby Serdic » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:32 pm UTC

Name: Serdic

Why you're awesome: I cook, bake and I have to figure out how everything works.

Why you read xkcd: No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die. After that, I was hooked.

Newton or Leibniz: Kepler.

Innie or Outie: CLASSIFIED

If you were a dead language etc: Sumerian, because I just finished reading Snow Crash, and the idea of being a neurolinguistic hacker is really neat. That, and I want Hiro's swords.

Under velociraptor attack: I don't have to worry about it, as all animals love me. The velociraptors would mew and coo after the introduction.

Return to “General”