INTRO THREAD 2.0: INTRODUCE YOURSELF OR PERISH!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

_TiM_

Postby _TiM_ » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:50 am UTC

Lurker, read the comics, found site through Facepunch Studios, Hi.

Nascent

Postby Nascent » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:03 am UTC

Hi, I don't know how to introduce myself at this moment as I'm going through an identity crisis. Formerly shy, withdrawn, and lonely, I've thrown caution to the wind and opened up. I actually just had a great first year at university. But now I'm 19 at a summer job, renting with strangers, and unfortunately lonely once again. So I'm always open to chat about random things if you are too.

I love geeky and nerdy things, but I dislike being too eccentric such that it alienates others. That's because I enjoy the "fit in with the rest of them" normal stuff too, like going to a favourite restaurant for the sake of it being your favourite, and I love the small things of life, like how a dad on a bike has a tiny small helmet for his baby girl.

xkcd is such a great mix of these two things, and that's why I'm a fan of this great webcomic.

This post may have ended up being too serious, personal, and livejournalish. If it has, here's a lolcat to make up for it:

sleepykit

Postby sleepykit » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:29 am UTC

Why hello!

I'm just going to lurk around here, but it seemed kind of sad to lurk for months and not say hello at the very least. Whether or not I'm human remains to be seen.

*waves*
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. ~ Gene Roddenberry

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:30 am UTC

Nascent wrote:Hi, I don't know how to introduce myself at this moment as I'm going through an identity crisis. Formerly shy, withdrawn, and lonely, I've thrown caution to the wind and opened up. I actually just had a great first year at university. But now I'm 19 at a summer job, renting with strangers, and unfortunately lonely once again. So I'm always open to chat about random things if you are too.

I love geeky and nerdy things, but I dislike being too eccentric such that it alienates others. That's because I enjoy the "fit in with the rest of them" normal stuff too, like going to a favourite restaurant for the sake of it being your favourite, and I love the small things of life, like how a dad on a bike has a tiny small helmet for his baby girl.

xkcd is such a great mix of these two things, and that's why I'm a fan of this great webcomic.

This post may have ended up being too serious, personal, and livejournalish. If it has, here's a lolcat to make up for it:

Have we redefined "lolcat" or something? 'Cause there ain't no cats in that picture.

But there is a hamster! So it's automatically win.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

raziekiel

Postby raziekiel » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:50 am UTC

Hi, I'm new here, I've been reading xkcd for some time now, and never thought to look at the forums!
Anyway, I'm 18, heading off to college in the fall at the University of Missouri - Rolla, to major in physics. I'm a nerd, as most people here seem to be, I like to mess around on my computer, play with linux, game, and I enjoy recreational mathematics.

Benfrenchman

Postby Benfrenchman » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:13 am UTC

Hiya peeps! I'm Ben, caught on to XKCD about a month ago, read them all and they sorta changed my life, or at least my outlook on it.

I'm 21 years old, just coming to the end of my third year of studying Japanese at university, a year which was spent in Japan. The best year of my life, actually. I made tons of amazing friends and I know I'll stay in touch with many of them. Totally jealous of the ones who go to Tufts ;) I adore playing the guitar, my main passion is for songwriting which I love to bits. Music is who I am. I don't have a mathematical bone in my body, but I still get the jokes (go go gadget Wikipedia).

That's me.

I look forwards to finding out who you are.

foolscap

me!

Postby foolscap » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:14 am UTC

Hi all,

Just found out about this thread. Sorry this is my 2nd post.

Lets see, I'm a ridiculously confused 21 year-old male, I enjoy Math and Physics, but I can't do either to save my life, can't stand Chem, and am so-so about Bio. This is why I'm in Geology. I can use Linux (except Linux can't seem to use my wireless card...), Windows and MacOS.

So I like to think I'm the average XKCD reader.

Oh, I also am having a love affair with ABBA, Bob Dylan, and Jamiroquai, all at the same time.

Looking forward to adding these forums to my daily morning read!

F
"Cease, Man, to mourn, to weep, to wail; enjoy thy shining hour of sun. We dance along Death's icy brink, but is the dance less full of fun?" -Sir R. F. Burton, The Kasidah of Haji Abdu El Yezdi.

Jatopian

Postby Jatopian » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:52 am UTC

I've been reading this comic for perhaps a year, and I like that it appeals to my nerdiness. Except when it misinterprets Godwin & such. Anyway, most strips I like.

I get most of my nerdy stimuli via another forum, so I never really considered actually joining this forum. I'm only joining now because I simply must know why Mr. Munroe depicts girls such as those in today's strip (#289, "Alone") - and whether they have any basis in reality. Because where I live the choice is between airheads & goths (I typically go with the latter).

Wired

Postby Wired » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:24 am UTC

Hey all, I'm new.
Up until yesterday I was known as 'Infinity's End' for those who may recognize me, if anybody, decided to change the name to something more... real.
I decided to join because these forums because apparently there is intelligent /mature life. Which is something I need. (Mature as in, older then thirteen.)
Well, see ya in the boards.

EDIT:
Uh... As I look around, I'm not seeing anyone else with sig images...
Are they allowed?

letsgo

likelihood of being read

Postby letsgo » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:42 am UTC

i'm sarah, shocked to realise that i am in fact 19. currently taking a degree entitled 'american and english studies' at nottingham (uk). i grew up in hong kong but moved to the uk when i was 13(?). i discovered xkcd a year ago, i think, but am not great with forums, which is why it's taken me a while to get here.

i like euphemisms, ampersand, mathematical & scientific mteaphors, maps and diagrams, handwriting, envelopes, being read to, terms of endearment, grey clothes, kittenwar.com, the literal act of writing, sunday papers, tea, words and pretty things.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:43 am UTC

George Orr wrote:
SpitValve wrote:
George Orr wrote:I've never seen anyone with the last name Orr, but if I did I would be very excited.

I know one of the chief oboists for the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, and he's an Orr...

Gaah! They're multiplying! I've had at least 5 different Orrs pointed out to me since I made that remark. Well, it's all for the best I guess.

That is only 5 out of the entire population of the world.

letsgo wrote:i'm sarah, shocked to realise that i am in fact 19. currently taking a degree entitled 'american and english studies' at nottingham (uk)

Do you know Robin Hood? And is ampersand different to normal sand?
Sorry for being annoying, but welcome to the fora, all of you. And letsgo, if you have pretty handwriting, why not post it in the Arts section? We'd love to see it.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

j07

Postby j07 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:10 am UTC

Hello.
I've been reading xkcd for awhile and just thought I'd stop in and say hello.
Lets see something about myself...
I'm starting university in September, across the county from where I live now. I like reading, cooking, politics, language, learning new things, nintendo, anything outdoors(camping etc.) and maple tea.

Benfrenchman

Postby Benfrenchman » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:28 pm UTC

Hey, I was born in Nottingham and my extended family all live there. And my sister goes to Trent. Yay Nottingham!

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:06 pm UTC

Wired wrote:Uh... As I look around, I'm not seeing anyone else with sig images...
Are they allowed?

Yes they are allowed. Big ones are annoying, small ones are fine. I think yours is OK.

foolscap wrote:I'm a ridiculously confused 21 year-old male.

I think I can help. It's underwear, then pants, then socks, then shoes. You can do socks before pants, but it is very important that underwear is first and shoes are last.

foolscap

Postby foolscap » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:14 pm UTC

foolscap wrote:I'm a ridiculously confused 21 year-old male.

I think I can help. It's underwear, then pants, then socks, then shoes. You can do socks before pants, but it is very important that underwear is first and shoes are last.[/quote]

This helps, people aren't looking at me (as) funnily as they used to. Now just to figure out where *exactly* all those things go...

F
"Cease, Man, to mourn, to weep, to wail; enjoy thy shining hour of sun. We dance along Death's icy brink, but is the dance less full of fun?" -Sir R. F. Burton, The Kasidah of Haji Abdu El Yezdi.

annelions

Postby annelions » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:25 pm UTC

Been reading the forum all night, but only just found this thread (the math and science sections are SO much more interesting than general :wink: ).

I've been reading the comic for awhile, but only realized that there was a forum a couple days ago. I just didn't look... up there. Now I go back to (mostly) lurking. :wink:

pruwyben

Postby pruwyben » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:15 pm UTC

Hi!

I'm me. Fairly new to the comic, just started lurking the fora, and i think this has gotta be one of the greatest places on the internet. I may even start posting here.

I was introduced to the comic by my ex-boss (university library) who related the "mixing curse levels" comic to me. I was surprised to see "hyphen", because that's something i used to do all the time.

I like math, music, cartoons, programming, bicycles, and friends. Probably some other stuff too.

I'm a boy, I guess.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:24 pm UTC

pruwyben wrote:i think this has gotta be one of the greatest places on the internet.

Well, duh. Why do you think we're all here? ^_^
pruwyben wrote:I'm a boy, I guess.

Really? You're not sure? :P

Forthur

My intro

Postby Forthur » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:07 pm UTC

Hi, people. I've been reading xkcd and its forums for a while now, and I really like it here. I've never considered myself to be very nerdy (despite being an AI algorithms programmer), but the comic and many of the remarks in the forums really speak to me.

I'm from the Netherlands, by the way.
Life's biggest adventures are the dreams you try to make real.

chrispy1

Re: My intro

Postby chrispy1 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

Forthur wrote:Hi, people. I've been reading xkcd and its forums for a while now, and I really like it here. I've never considered myself to be very nerdy (despite being an AI algorithms programmer), but the comic and many of the remarks in the forums really speak to me.

I'm from the Netherlands, by the way.

An AI Algorithms programmer? Sweet - what programming languages do you use? I'm reading up on Neural Networks and forecasting, and have had to read a little on fuzzy logic/AI. Really cool stuff....that goes right over my head!

Welcome to yourself and anyone else new here....
Narsil wrote:For the record, I am not:
b)obsessed with penii, I just have bad luck and they follow me everywh...

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

Forthur

Postby Forthur » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:48 pm UTC

Thanks, chrispy1.

Delphi mostly, but we're switching to C# soon. If I could have had a voice in the matter, we would have switched to C++ long ago.
Maybe I am a bit of a nerd. Hmm...

I'm not using neural nets but would sometimes like to experiment with those.
AI is fun, by the way. I've been working mostly on software for a real and complicated "bin packing" kind of machine for the last few years. A NP-hard problem with lots of variables and a customer who's never satisfied.
Life's biggest adventures are the dreams you try to make real.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

Hello to all of the new people. Can someone figure out what kind of growth curve we have here? I'm thinking it's more than linear.

George Orr wrote:Gaah! They're multiplying! I've had at least 5 different Orrs pointed out to me since I made that remark. Well, it's all for the best I guess.

There was an Orr that went to my college a couple of years ago, and there's a city named Orrville nearby.

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:15 pm UTC

Forthur wrote:Delphi mostly, but we're switching to C# soon. If I could have had a voice in the matter, we would have switched to C++ long ago.
Maybe I am a bit of a nerd. Hmm...

I'm not using neural nets but would sometimes like to experiment with those.
AI is fun, by the way. I've been working mostly on software for a real and complicated "bin packing" kind of machine for the last few years. A NP-hard problem with lots of variables and a customer who's never satisfied.

Wow, that's impressive...We're doing our application in C#/SQL Server, but it's mostly being developed by a 3rd party, so I don't get much practice with that. I do the queries, reports, data mining, etc., and am going to be using the ANNs for the workload reports I need to build. Really neat stuff...

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

IQLCXS

Postby IQLCXS » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:47 pm UTC

This is my Hallo Everybody.

I don't know that I really want to introduce myself to the whole interblag, but...if you can figure out my name, you'll have more than enough dirt on me to google stalk me through my entire online presence.

It's a challenge, then.

jinzougen

Postby jinzougen » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:59 pm UTC

I'm introducing myself because the topic said to "introduce myself of perish", and I don't want to perish. Since these were the only two options I seem to have been forced into this...

Name: Brandon Beamer
Occupation: Grad Student (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
Focus: Computational Linguistics
Hobbies:
    Kuk Sool Won (first degree black belt and president of the local club here on campus.
    Video games
Once bread becomes toast, it can never be bread again.

Teifion

Postby Teifion » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:22 pm UTC

Yaargh! I have read the comic for about a month and ghosted on the forums for a little less. I decided that I might want to post one day and heard that I need to introduce myself here.

In my free time I study Computer Engineering at Portsmouth in the UK, run an online game called World of Arl (not sure what the rules on links are so if you just Google "World of Arl" then you'll find it. I also play a fair bit of Warcraft 3 and code PHP and MySQL for fun.

petsfed

Postby petsfed » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:02 am UTC

I'm a terrible slacker, and have difficulty reading instructions.

I am petsfed, I am from Wyoming, and I split my time between studying for a BS (and presumably grad school, eventually) in Astrophysics, doing research re: astrophysics, rock climbing, and working a night job stocking shelves.

Quite incidentally, if you think making elaborate rules for walking on tiles makes perfect sense, you should not be allowed to stock the Kleenex aisle. What should be a 15 minute job will quickly become a 4 hour marathon of organizing and arranging multi-colored boxes into intricate and complex geometric patterns. While you will see the beauty of the symmetry, the shopper will see a nightmarish order that drives them from the store to seek religious counseling.
There was a time when you could put it out of your mind, leave it all behind
There was a time
That time is gone --Uncle Tupelo

Posalootly

Postby Posalootly » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:57 am UTC

Oh, oh man. I was too busy over at the September Meetup section to even notice this board. But hi! I'm Caroline, I'll be a second year at Rochester Institute of Technology up in New York. I've been following xkcd for about a year but never really got into the community until now. Hopefully I'll get to meet a lot of you in September!

Radiun

Postby Radiun » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:14 am UTC

I'm outclassed, live in Quebec, and Lurk, so feel free to overlook me :)

jtin

Postby jtin » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Er hello.

Some of my attributes are: human, grad student, applied mathematician, male, ~Chicago, hiker, backpacker, gardener.

Pseudomammal
Honored just to be nominated

Postby Pseudomammal » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:40 am UTC

To whom it may concern,

I am, to the best of my knowledge, not a bot.

I'm a computer nerd for food, and a biology nerd for fun. Sometimes it's the other way 'round. Ask me about CSS or telomeres.

I didn't go to high school -- I wanted that time for my own projects. I did go to college, and I loved it. Grad school is up next, if I'm lucky.

When XKCD isn't busy making me laugh, it's cheering me up because I'm not the only person that weird, frustrating me that I'm not that awesome, or punching me in the gut 'cause I had her and lost her. I can't get enough.

Once again: not a bot.

END TRANSMISSION
Stop him! He's supposed to die!

gulnare

Postby gulnare » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:07 am UTC

I am Matt.

I live in Perth, Australia, love Music in all it's forms, and have kinda fallen into a slightly disturbing relationship with XKCD.
I work in film sound these days, and hang out talking 'bout stuff with people.

It is my entirely subjective view that everyone should go and listen to a band called Hella. Right about

NOW!

They rock.

I am starting to feel that i maybe am a Bot. But is it impossible for a Bot to feel?

Um, yeah. Thats me.
"...i'm putting in my 2 weeks notice,
as of 2 fucking weeks ago..."

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:06 am UTC

*Gets happy and slighty scared that one of her friends joined the fora*

Be nice to Pseudomammal, he's teh awesome.
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:11 am UTC

Jauss wrote:Be nice to Pseudomammal, he's teh awesome.

..and from the "Bedroom Game" I just read in the Off Colour Discussion thread that he played, extraordinarily creative!

Welcome all....

rivenwanderer

Postby rivenwanderer » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:01 pm UTC

*waves* code monkey who just finished my undergrad CS degree (and I'm convinced that school made me less geeky, but I'm working on fixing that). Um, I crochet klein bottles and I like purple and good webcomics.
purple shiny?

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:12 pm UTC

gulnare wrote:I am Matt.

I live in Perth, Australia, love Music in all it's forms, and have kinda fallen into a slightly disturbing relationship with XKCD.
I work in film sound these days, and hang out talking 'bout stuff with people.

It is my entirely subjective view that everyone should go and listen to a band called Hella. Right about

NOW!

They rock.

I am starting to feel that i maybe am a Bot. But is it impossible for a Bot to feel?

Um, yeah. Thats me.

Awesome avatar, I saw that pic on the funniest :P Someone I know said that it's from a video which turns pretty disgusting :shock:

ooojos

Postby ooojos » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:24 pm UTC

Hey Guys,

I'm Ollie. I'm doing a Teaching/Maths and Comp Sci. double degree at Adelaide Uni, in South Australia.

My username is (are) my initials. My avatar is the visual iTunes had going when I was listening to my favourite song (Because of You - Kelly Clarkson).

Favourite Comic: http://www.xkcd.com/c236.html

-Ollie

ruderalis

Postby ruderalis » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:40 pm UTC

I am Brian. I like computing and reading and most anything that is accessible and has some depth. I don't like violent kooks from private schools.

Every summer in California there's lots of news coverage of wild fires and outdoor-marijuana-grow busts.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:27 pm UTC

Radiun wrote:I'm outclassed, live in Quebec, and Lurk, so feel free to overlook me :)

*refuses to overlook someone from Quebec*

Hello! Welcome! I've never come across any Quebeckers on the fora before, although we have several posters from O'Tawa. Which is close!
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

supemoy

Hi

Postby supemoy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

Hi, my name is John Connor. I am a software Engineer down in Dixieland. I have been a big fan of the comic for a while now and thought I would join the forums. They look like a lot of fun. look forward to meeting you crazy cats and kittens.

--John

P.S. I am not the leader of the resistance against the unstoppable robot hoards, but should the need arise...

Here I wrote a song about it:

Hello my names John Connor, and I'm saving the world again,
from the evil terminating robots from the year 2010.

I sent my father, back into the past,
so that he could tap, my mothers ass.

Hello my names John Connor... Repeat ad nauseum....
So what if I'm shallow? At least I'm not ugly...

Return to “General”