INTRO THREAD 2.0: INTRODUCE YOURSELF OR PERISH!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

McHell

Postby McHell » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:16 pm UTC

keithc wrote:You know those long wooden benches that fit under long wooden tables and are often used in gym to make a slope that you have to run off and not fall off? Well, they are called "forms".

Pointless fact: in Dutch those are called `Swedish benches'. Would you then also count `upper swedish bench' etc for classes? They don't tend to own enough of them though.

Minirogue

Postby Minirogue » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:07 am UTC

Aha, after a few initial posts, it would appear I have found the noob thread...anyways

I am 18, a dude, and supposedly smart (just got my AP chem, physics(B, so not that impressive), and Computer Science (AB so it is more impressive(especially since the class was only for A)) scores back and they were 4,5,5 in that order). I plan to go to college next year for Computer Gaming and Simulation (yeah, go ahead and laugh at me). I Wrestled and played Football in high school, and I like to play guitar and video games...sometimes they overlap...one way or the other (Guitar hero + I can play the super mario bros theme on my guitar)

well, since I have said all of the info that no one will remember or care about...I suppose this is the interweb (which I have always referred to this place as, even before I saw that one comic)... 1 4M t3h 1337 h4xx0rzzz lolololo!!!111!!1! and whatnot

Tunesmith

Postby Tunesmith » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:34 am UTC

Same here, Minirogue. :)

I'm Tunesmith, age 15. I'm a single man looking for romance, who enjoys long walks on the beach, discussing the meaning of life, and systematically hunting down and destroying clichés, preferably with a death-kick to the metaphorical face.

I'm interested in pretty much everything, from neuroscience and tennis to guitar licks and photography. I start as an EMT this September, which should be awesome (even though the chances of me even so much as seeing the defibrillator are next to none :( ).

This is my second forum, after the wonderful Zefrank boards. :D

Minirogue

Postby Minirogue » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:36 am UTC

Tunesmith wrote:I'm interested in pretty much everything, from neuroscience and tennis to guitar licks and photography.

Jeeze, how could I forget the Neuroscience, I love that stuff

kwan3217

Postby kwan3217 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:47 am UTC

Hey, I'm Kwan3217 (you can call me Kwan for short). I work for a major university laboratory, analyzing data from a satellite I helped build. Dream job.

Mostly I just want to post my solution to NP complete.

Tunesmith

Postby Tunesmith » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:03 am UTC

Minirogue wrote:
Tunesmith wrote:I'm interested in pretty much everything, from neuroscience and tennis to guitar licks and photography.

Jeeze, how could I forget the Neuroscience, I love that stuff

Dude, totally. After a semester-long course, I'm still hooked. :D

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:30 am UTC

any part of neurosci in particular? I took neurosci, biopsych, and neuropsych in university - all kicked ass. Got to dissect sheep brains in the one. I was always partial to the whole brain-immune system interaction (or, in really big words, psychoneuroimmunology)...
Narsil wrote:For the record, I am not:
b)obsessed with penii, I just have bad luck and they follow me everywh...

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

Minirogue

Postby Minirogue » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:46 am UTC

As for me, I have only read one book on the subject (Mind Wide Open by Steven Johnson), but I would like to read more, if anyone can suggest any good ones, but as far as the kind I consider myself interested in, would probably be Neuropsych

Tunesmith

Postby Tunesmith » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:53 am UTC

chrispy1 wrote:any part of neurosci in particular? I took neurosci, biopsych, and neuropsych in university - all kicked ass. Got to dissect sheep brains in the one. I was always partial to the whole brain-immune system interaction (or, in really big words, psychoneuroimmunology)...

:shock:

Dissections?! So lucky.

I guess psychoneuroimmunology (try saying that while drunk. it really impresses the ladies :D) was a big topic of interest last semester, but I've recently become interested in developmental neurobio - all the organization that has to occur for a brain to function properly is mind-blowingly (:wink:) amazing.

Tunesmith

Postby Tunesmith » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:58 am UTC

Minirogue wrote:As for me, I have only read one book on the subject (Mind Wide Open by Steven Johnson), but I would like to read more, if anyone can suggest any good ones, but as far as the kind I consider myself interested in, would probably be Neuropsych

I've heard "How the Mind Works", by Steven Pinker is an amazing read, but I'm just quoting. I'm only five pages in... :roll:

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:17 am UTC

That's a pretty eye. Yours, Tunesmith?

And also: Michelle Kwan. Yes.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Tunesmith

Postby Tunesmith » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:08 am UTC

une see wrote:That's a pretty eye. Yours, Tunesmith?

Mhmm. Thanks, I took the picture in a moment of midnight self-exploration.

...yeah, that doesn't sound suggestive at all. :oops:

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:13 am UTC

Tunesmith wrote:
une see wrote:That's a pretty eye. Yours, Tunesmith?

Mhmm. Thanks, I took the picture in a moment of midnight self-exploration.

...yeah, that doesn't sound suggestive at all. :oops:

Please visit the onanism thread and explain.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Fail

Postby Fail » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:51 am UTC

Hey, my name's Fail, and I'm not that old, but I like to think of myself as my own prodigy/mentor combonation.

Sometimes, I spell things wrong, but it's ok. I've been reading these forums for about a month now, and have wanted to post things in a lot of the topics, especially Serious Business. So I'm finally doing it.

I'm left handed, so I'm a one in ten. I once convicned a Minister my middle name was the number 7.

McHell

Postby McHell » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:42 am UTC

Tunesmith wrote:I've heard "How the Mind Works", by Steven Pinker is an amazing read, but I'm just quoting.

Hm, some doubts here. I remember his `The language instinct' being a set text a few years ago in linguistics classes [for students who wish to become highschool teachers] but no linguist thinking of it as other than an interesting historical document on how they used to think of the issue. Have not bothered to read the Mind book but I objected to the simplistic, authorative title. That and other thinks.

Melasoul

Introducing myself

Postby Melasoul » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:55 am UTC

Hello everybody, pseudo-long time reader, just now signing up. I'm a Computer Science and Math Major, soon to be Physics minor from South Carolina in the States. See you around the math and computer science/coding forums.

jmoy

Intro

Postby jmoy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:44 am UTC

I'm Jyotirmoy, a economics graduate student who resolves of learn programming and real analysis at the beginning of each year.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:39 pm UTC

Hey everybody! Welcome. Your t-shirts and papers-on-which-to-sign-away-your-soul should be arriving in the mail presently.

Please participate pleasantly in the shenanigans! *Grin*
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:29 pm UTC

Hey all, I kind of missed the boat on the whole intro thread thing. I was browsing threads and forgot to follow the rules....

//clenches teeth and awaits lashings

Anyway, I just finished up my BSME and BS Math degrees and am about to start my MSME (starting fall/august 07). Mostly I'm a thermal/fluids geek, but I have to admit I enjoy just about anything having to do with engineering in general, physics, math, etc., and am more than willing to discuss philosophy (though not with philosophy students), religion, psychology, ethics, etc. When I'm not being a geek, I rock climb and snowboard. I also play a lot of board games, and am a fan of video games, although I have to admit budgetary issues generally arise keeping me from being a fully vested "video" gamer ($600 did you say??? and it doesn't even come with two controlers???). And so manual gaming will forever be my favorite.

Anyway, if you want to find me, I'll be mostly in the science and math forums.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:01 pm UTC

I just finished up my BSME and BS Math degrees

See, this is why we can't have that kind of thread. Because I read them, get my mind stuck there, then read this sentence as "I just fished up my BDSM and BS Math degrees."

And then I spend the next five minutes wondering what the finals would look like.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

McHell

Postby McHell » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:04 pm UTC

Even without misreading BS and BSME looked like "BullS**t" and "BullS**t Me" math courses which made me wonder.

That said, I miss the eternal joy of a dirty mind.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:16 pm UTC

See, I just enjoy being able to major in me (Mech Eng)
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Bluggo

Postby Bluggo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:22 pm UTC

Hi, I am a mathematical logic student, and I almost forgot to make my intro post despite having lurked in this forum for ages.

larsh

Postby larsh » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:19 pm UTC

Hi... I posted on a thread, so I guess I'd better introduce myself.

I was a Comp Sci major in college, and continue to work as a software developer, so of course the topics here are interesting. I enjoy the obscure math/CS references. I don't like the occasional off-color language, but I can't complain too much since he has a disclaimer, and the strips are often funny and/or inspiring. But other times, cynical.

My interests:
Computer languages... I currently use js, lots of XML, XSLT, Schematron, graphviz DOT, some Java. Dabbling in ruby, haskell (slightly), ajax, XQuery, Apache Cocoon, python, Processing.
Intelligent design / evolution. Apologetics in general.

Have a wife and 2 daughters, and a weblog.

Thanks for the interesting discussions.

Patteroast

Postby Patteroast » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:24 pm UTC

Hello! I'm Patteroast. I'm a 20-year-old male student (only community college so far) who lives in Minnesota. I have a passion for science and random miscellany. I don't recall how long it's been since I found XKCD, but I know I was instantly hooked.

More specific list of hobbies: planetary science (which I hope to major in), astronomy in general, geography, cosmology, a good smattering of most of the major sciences, photography, music, riding my bike through deserted city streets at 3:30 AM... and in general, acquiring more knowledge and understanding of this world and others.

I've peeked into the forums before, but mostly just to read the comic threads... but I looked into Serious Business and just spent several hours reading threads on Creationism and Athiesm, hoping to find something to contibute, only to see my exact point of view quoted more succinctly than I recall ever having managed...

Anyway. Hi!

keithc

Postby keithc » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Is this some sort of bizarre logic puzzle? Like, what has a beak, wings, feathers, and sings, but isn't a bird?

A feathered raptor? - I notice we can't see whether you have feathers on most of your body, Belial...

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:44 pm UTC

Man, I think this place has recently gotten MORE geeky, where more = closer to saturation. I'm a pseudo-geek myself. Geek-hag more precisely. i fear i will soon drown, weeded out as too un-geeky for the mother brain.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:51 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:Man, I think this place has recently gotten MORE geeky, where more = closer to saturation. I'm a pseudo-geek myself. Geek-hag more precisely. i fear i will soon drown, weeded out as too un-geeky for the mother brain.

Not possible - you're geeky-by-proxy, which is just as good. (But I don't think there is such a thing - if you think you are, and you enjoy things like these fora, yer a Geek. :D)
Narsil wrote:For the record, I am not:
b)obsessed with penii, I just have bad luck and they follow me everywh...

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

Jadestone

Postby Jadestone » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:54 pm UTC

Ren wrote:Hey everybody! Welcome. Your t-shirts and papers-on-which-to-sign-away-your-soul should be arriving in the mail presently.

Can I eat them when they're done signing them away?
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."

McHell

Postby McHell » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:26 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:Man, I think this place has recently gotten MORE geeky

OK, to lower the geekyness and react to your sig:
I was in the Philosopher's Hotel, where every room is themed around a given person and decorated in style of the time plus some attributes (busts, books, whatever props). Competition is biggest for the Kant room.
I thought "if I end up in the Socrates room, I'm sure as hell not gonna try my luck with the minibar".

Popisfizzy

Postby Popisfizzy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:18 am UTC

On a completely random subject, CatProximity has the same forum icon that I do on another forum, except that mine is a close up of Seymour's face, but on the same picture.

xɐʇu&am

Postby xɐʇu&am » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:57 am UTC

Originally, my username was going to be xɐʇuʎs uɐıdoʇn, but through much escaping and magical transformations, it kinda died.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:18 am UTC

Yeah, um...got a short form we can use there, sir/madam?

Otherwise I'll just call you "Bob" and leave it at that.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:45 am UTC

xɐʇu&am wrote:xɐʇuʎs uɐıdoʇn

Ummm . . . how the hell did you do that? Is there Alt-code for the upsidedown alphabet? *head scratch*

schumi_girl
Human sacrifice for hire

Postby schumi_girl » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:37 am UTC

Hello there!

I feel kind of bad interrupting the wonderful conversations that are in progress here (incidentally, xɐʇu&am, how on earth DID you do that? Pretty awesome), but I thought I'd better introduce myself before being strapped to a hot plate and tickled til death.

So...*don't cue the drumroll please*

I'm schumi_girl, a 17 year old from Oz. I'm currently half way through my senior year, and plan on doing a Bachelor of IT next year.

I enjoy many things, such as watching Formula One and reading through the xkcd forums and giggling at the replies and quotes :)

Adam: "This could be trouble."
Riley: "We'd better make a fort."
Adam: "I'll get some pillows."

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Minirogue wrote:Aha, after a few initial posts, it would appear I have found the noob thread...anyways

I am 18, a dude, and supposedly smart (just got my AP chem, physics(B, so not that impressive), and Computer Science (AB so it is more impressive(especially since the class was only for A)) scores back and they were 4,5,5 in that order). I plan to go to college next year for Computer Gaming and Simulation (yeah, go ahead and laugh at me). I Wrestled and played Football in high school, and I like to play guitar and video games...sometimes they overlap...one way or the other (Guitar hero + I can play the super mario bros theme on my guitar)

well, since I have said all of the info that no one will remember or care about...I suppose this is the interweb (which I have always referred to this place as, even before I saw that one comic)... 1 4M t3h 1337 h4xx0rzzz lolololo!!!111!!1! and whatnot

I LOOOOOVE YOUR AVATAAAAAR!!!!

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

e946

Postby e946 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:47 am UTC

I hope it'll be acceptable if I make it my 5th or 6th post as my introduction. We apologise for the inconvenience.

I'm a pretty strange guy, from what I've seen. My likes and dislikes are all over the board. I love computers, both on the hardware side and the programming side, and intend to pursue that all my life. Yet I really enjoy watching NASCAR (Go jeff), which for some reason is supposed to be limited to Rednecks, which I am not. I guess I missed the memo. Even more backwards, I love Formula 1(Super best friends FTW), which is strange because a lot of F1 fans tend to hate nascar with a fiery passion.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:40 am UTC

e946 wrote:which is strange because a lot of F1 fans tend to hate nascar with a fiery passion.

maybe its like the "The Cure" vs "depeche Mode" thing... DM fans probably dont like The Cure. Fans of The Cure probably dont like anything else, at all.

(which is silly because i like them both alright. but maybe...)

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:59 am UTC

i like both of these bands! i prefer the cure, but you gotta love personal optimus
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

PtS

Postby PtS » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:15 am UTC

Welcome everybody! (including welcome back to myself :))

Having a good time?
My life is 50% sarcasm and 50% sick humour.

-Me (said with 50% sarcasm)

Return to “General”