INTRO THREAD 2.0: INTRODUCE YOURSELF OR PERISH!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dopplex

Postby dopplex » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:33 pm UTC

Hi. My name is Daniel, and I'm confused. (And also not a bot)

I'm 26, I live in New York City, and I spend a lot of time thinking about how to introduce myself without sounding hopelessly generic. This is one of my primary hobbies. New York City - which I love - is also unfortunately a very difficult place to be an introvert. You just tend to get... overwhelmed. By just about everything.

I was introduced to xkcd in just the past few weeks, and since then it has saved my life several times. In spite of the fact that in 50% of the comics the math is far too involved for me to understand, and that the other 50% seem to be yelling at me personally, I enjoy them.

I spent a fair bit of yesterday reading every single comic.

Then I spent another fair bit of yesterday going back and rereading all of the comics that I had read before I realized that the alt-text was funny too. This is probably the most productive thing that I did yesterday.

I have a mixed educational background. This is a nicer way of saying that I have no attention span. Computer science, theatre arts, and financial analysis.

I want to design games, eventually. I'm working on writing the first one that I expect to actually be able to make right now. Hopefully it turns out well. In spite of the computer science degree, I'm actually not much of a coder. On the other hand, nobody is going to do it for me. I suffer from the delusion that somehow theatre arts and computer science mix to make one well equipped to design games.

I also tend to be longwinded.

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:56 pm UTC

First of all I have to say that I hate the idea of having to post an introduction.

Found xkcd through the Awful forums and been reading it ever since.

Uhh. I'm a gamer, xbox 360, ps2, PC, tabletop, card, board, etc etc.
Whatever. I don't know what else to put here.

leto

Postby leto » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:04 pm UTC

noouch wrote:Also I might have just cut my finger on the spinning fan next to me.

*cough*http://xkcd.com/c131.html*cough*

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:24 pm UTC

Introductions, hmmm.... one wonders what to say. I'll just make it up as I go along.

I'm an Australian (West) living in London (East). Enjoying it, a lot.

I write computer software, to pay the bills.

I like music, a lot. At the moment I am getting into the bass-heavy sounds of dubstep, dancehall and reggae; African jazz like Tinawarien, Mulato Astatke and the Kutis (Fela and Femi); weird rock like Battles and Dirty Projectors, and plenty of other stuff. I also like to dance.

I like to cook, and eat. My specialties are crumbed pork chops with roast veg, lots of pasta, and salads. I'd love to be able to make a killer Thai curry.

I like to drink real ales, particularly with friends. If cheese is involved, I'm ok with that. :D

I like my friends. I wish my friends from Australia were here so they could enjoy the wonders of the world as well.

I like to travel. There are a lot of countries out there, and a lot of them are incredible. In a year of living in London, I've been to Barcelona, Berlin, Grenada (the Carribean one), Marrakesh and southern Morocco, New York, Paris, and the Schwarzwald. All of those places have something to offer, and are magical in their own way. And then there's merry old England - Cornwall, the Lakes District, Yorkshire, and the cities, not least of which is London.

I'd like to write a travel book. That'd be cool.

I have an awesome girlfriend. I asked her to marry me, and she said yes.

I love Australia and am looking forward to going back for a visit.

I like XKCD, it's funny, and real.

I don't love the sound of my own voice, and will silence it now.

PacifiKate

Postby PacifiKate » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:27 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
PacifiKate wrote:My name is Kati, and I'm pretty sure that I exist.

Hi Kati! Your avatar reminds me of an old gif I made from "Death Kitty and the Fat Man":

ACK WITH THE ADORABLENESS AND THE DEATH!!! I loves. :D

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

PacifiKate wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:Image

Heeheeheeheeheehee

I'm sitting here cracking up, and I'm not sure why.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:07 pm UTC

I guess I'd better get around to doing this before the wisdom I have imparted in my "illegal" posts is deleted.

I am a bioinorganic chemist who specializes in application of spectroscopic techniques for investigation of active sites (metal centers) in enzymes.

In addition, I teach both chemistry and physics to M.D. wannabes, although I much prefer teaching the former.

I am most likely the only chemist you will ever meet who spent ten years working in a scrapyard (something which gives me a little different perspective than most of the academics with whom I share a lab).

I have studied various martial arts for about 13 years and am currently immersed in Hsing Chen, which is the most complete and well-rounded of the styles I have tried. In fact, I would go so far as to say that only the internal styles really qualify as martial arts. All other styles are merely fighting systems that rely on strength and speed, which means you get worse with age, instead of better. This said, I still found the thread about the reality/impossibility of martial arts in movies moderately interesting.

I was busted hacking in 1985 and wasn't allowed to touch a computer for years. About eight years ago I finally bought a PC, but it appears I lost the obsessive drive that would keep me in front of my computer for 16 straight hours working on programming problems. As it stands now, I don't know squat about any of the current languages and I don't have any desire to learn them (which is a shame, because I miss out on some of the computer humor in the comic).

Finally, I want to know how to claim my free internets, which were promised to me if I visited this page and verified my non-boticity.

Oh! I almost forgot to mention that my undergrad was a B.S. in psychology, but I found that a chemistry Ph.D. is a lot more employable than a social psychologist, so switched when I went to grad school. Even worse, at heart I am a mechnical engineer, but I never felt like proving things would work BEFORE I built them. I just like to make them, and most people won't give you money and materials unless you have beautiful blueprints and equations showing your machine will work.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Alomax

Postby Alomax » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:47 pm UTC

Hi I'm Alomax/Omnicrola.
Currently I play games all day and get paid for it, I manage a LAN center in Chandler AZ, USA. I like my job and hate my boss, and am trying to move on with my life to higher and better career aspirations.
I love this comic because it takes all my inner most secret loves and makes jokes with them that I'm sure even some of my good friends would not get.
I love what I've seen of this forum thus far because I see a lot of people who have those same secret loves as well. .... and a difinitive lack of ZOMG FANBOI GG BBQLAWL ... which can be funny, but as a method of general communication is... well... it makes me want to smack people.
Fortunately for me, I run a LAN center, little fanbois come in on a daily basis, and I get to thwap them up the head with a wiffle bat when they yell "LAWL!! PWNT!!" across the room.

There's my contribution to society's betterment for ya

Uhmm... I also code websites, build computers, run networks, do some photoshop work, some 3D animation (assoc degree in 3d, hurrah?) but can't sketch on paper very well.

Iconic Breeze

Postby Iconic Breeze » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:51 pm UTC

I don't typically do intro threads, but a mandated introduction is in order I guess.

I don't have a very interesting job or background, in fact, all I do is work retail and spend my free time playing games.

I'm prone to fits of nerdiness and have been known to hold discussions about the methods of war employed by a certain popular toy commando line and the colors of their lasers.

NoIAmNotCanadian

Postby NoIAmNotCanadian » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:05 pm UTC

Why aren't you Canadian? More importantly, why have you taken big steps to reaffirm this? I am sure there are lots of people who are not Canadian. :?

Well here's the thing, people often mistake me for a Canadian, and thus they ask if I am. I'm not, but to avoid having to answer the question repeatedly, I decided to make it more or less obvious.

For the record, I'm all for Canada. Phenomenal country. Every time I go there, I'm reminded that people in big cities don't necessarily have to assholes all of the time. Also, wide availability of poutine in eastern Canada makes me an immediate fan.

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:41 pm UTC

NoIAmNotCanadian wrote:
Why aren't you Canadian? More importantly, why have you taken big steps to reaffirm this? I am sure there are lots of people who are not Canadian. :?

Well here's the thing, people often mistake me for a Canadian, and thus they ask if I am. I'm not, but to avoid having to answer the question repeatedly, I decided to make it more or less obvious.

Thats what all the Canadians say. But, supposing that you are not Canadian (merely for the sake of argument) - have you taken steps to rectify this?
...the whim of a hat.

NoIAmNotCanadian

Postby NoIAmNotCanadian » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:24 pm UTC

the Cow wrote: Thats what all the Canadians say. But, supposing that you are not Canadian (merely for the sake of argument) - have you taken steps to rectify this?

As of yet, I have not. I almost did, once, but then I decided to go to school in Chicago instead. I have a theory that the lake keeps away the raptors, making Chicago safer than Montreal. Also, my dormitory in Chicago is definitely more defensible against both zombies and raptors than much of Montreal, owing to the outdoor staircases prevelant in the latter city.

I have three years remaining in Chicago, after which I will be happy to consider additional possiblities north of the border, not limited simply to Montreal.

jgcrawfo

Postby jgcrawfo » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

Ren wrote:
jgcrawfo wrote:HELLO. I AM NAMED JAMES. I LIVE IN ONTARIO, AND I STUDY MATH AT A UNIVERSITY THEREIN.

Which university? If you're in the 'Loo, we should go fly kites sometime.

I said I study math, didn't I? [/biggot]

Yeah, I'm at UW. What's your program?

Yhatki

Postby Yhatki » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

Hey guys.

My name is Sarah, I live in New Jersey, and my 18th birthday is in two days. I've been a fan of xkcd for a while, and figured I might as well sign up, see if the atmosphere is pretty chill.

What to say about me...I hate introductory posts. I feel like I am writing a personal ad. Well, I don't like long walks on the beach. So, scratch that.

I do however enjoy zombies, wind chimes and the music genre so proclaimed as "gypsy punk". And I have been planning the ultimate road trip for quite some time now. Perhaps in a Volkswagen bus.

And I am about to go out to dinner, actually. That's mildly interesting.

clearbright

Postby clearbright » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:50 pm UTC

Hello people. I am called Yuan, and I loved reading this forum, and so have come to roost here a while, during my summer holidays, before I must decide what uni course to pick. :) I live in Britain, so I'm going into the Upper Sixth Form.

I dispense hugs!

tang

Postby tang » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:10 pm UTC

I just had an xkcd moment, by which I mean something that made me feel or think in the slightly off-white hues that I experience reading xkcd. I then felt an eagerness to tell someone about it who knows what xkcd is. After that I remembered that there's a forum, and there was a corollary urge to post my moment here. Then I found out that you'd like me to introduce myself, and I thought, "it's as good an intro as any." Finally, I checked my registration and found that I'm already a member. Convenience in a cup!

My xkcd moment: I realized that I always think of people named Eddie in pretty much the same way... not exactly confusing them, but just never noticing their differences so much. Eddie Money, Eddie Fisher, Eddie Vedder, Eddie Izzard, Eddie Murphy. Eddie Haskell. Eddie the ship's computer. It doesn't hold for Edwards or Edmonds or Edrics, just Eddies. They just all have this same aura of Edditude. Once an Eddie, always an Eddie.

Hello. No offense meant to anyone named Eddie.

tang

Postby tang » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:35 pm UTC

~Canadian: which dormitory? I suspect Pierce of having the solidest walls of any steel-based structure, and the tower design makes it seem more impregnableâ€â€

NoIAmNotCanadian

Postby NoIAmNotCanadian » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:41 pm UTC

[quote="tang"]~Canadian: which dormitory? I suspect Pierce of having the solidest walls of any steel-based structure, and the tower design makes it seem more impregnableâ€â€

Hale-Bopp

Postby Hale-Bopp » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm UTC

Durinthal wrote:
Hale-Bopp wrote:Hi guys, I've been reading xkcd on and off for some time now. Just saying hi and stuff.

On the interwebs, I guess I'm mostly known (for those that know me) for creating video game remixes which can be found at ocremix.org and various other places around the web, including my own home page.

Cool place you got here! Thanks for the funnies!

Hm.. well, I never listened to this particular song before, but I like it. I guess I'm an ex-semi-regular in the forum there, but I have yet to actually finish a remix and submit it.

Regardless, welcome! And make some more good music while you're here. :D

Hey, thanks! I'll certainly keep trying my best!

tang

Postby tang » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:19 pm UTC

NoIAmNotCanadian wrote:Shoreland.

Oh ho! I'll agree then that Shoreland has solid counterzombie features. I didn't consider it because I thought it was already decommissioned... but in retrospect I should know better, since BJ2 isn't out yet.

I lived in 519 back in the dayâ€â€

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:31 pm UTC

Ren wrote:If you're in the 'Loo, we should go fly kites sometime.

If you're in the loo, you should finish your business and pull up your pants before flying kites. That's my recommendation.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:43 pm UTC

Dalveen, I'm with you. I actually went to create an account to find out I already had one. When did that happen? Oops.

Anyway. This fall I'll be a 3rd year chemical engineering major at the University of Delaware. Right now I'm interning as a sort of field engineer excel slave, but at least I get to play around with 18-year-old operating systems, right? Otherwise I specialize in nerdiness and cooking. Love the comic and I can tell there's good company to be had around here.

Sabatnoogen

Intro

Postby Sabatnoogen » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:45 pm UTC

Hi Everyone,

My name's Sav, and I work for a large aerospace firm, although in finance not in engineering even though I'm a systems (laugh laugh snicker snicker) engineer by degree.

XKCD and this forum give me all sorts of no-no-happy-place tickles, since I thought I was the only guy (around me anyway), who was eccentric enough to get as much entertainment out of a beautifully artistic romantic moment as I did out of Feynman jokes.

Hmm, a little about me:

- I often find excuses to re-write Shakespearean sonnets with some alternate emphasis. (e.g. "Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day" as written for Sho 'Nuff from the Last Dragon)

- Good grammar turns me on. But that's mostly because I'm into old chicks and not their husbands.

- I live in Southern California, right by the beach, with great friends and family nearby, and I still search for excuses to move to somewhere cold/new.

- I want to invent/discover something awesome in the field of nuclear physics, because the thought of the next obtuse, yet completely awesomely phonetic "tokamak"-like term originating in my head keeps me going (I've considered "nurigible" and "ulularity" among others).

Either way, great to join the forum!
-Sav

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:52 pm UTC

Hello! I am me. Not a bot, too. I consider that an accomplishment.

Albeit a rather pathetic one.

Anywho:
1. Lists are comforting.
2. I am a student at the moment. Live at home. With my *mum*. Tell me that's not the coolest thing you ever heard. ... Wait, no, don't.
3. I am not so much a math geek as a literature/english geek. Reading and such. I like to read nonfiction about SCIENCE. Because science is serious business. Totally. But I also like to read webcomics and manga for no reason other than that they amuse me. Also, Shakespeare is cool.
4. Based on my observations of the world around me, and on how sharply I differ from most people, I am forced to conclude that I am really completely insane. Hurrah for me.
5. 23, fnord.
6. I am talkative. Sometimes.
7. Kurt Vonnegut died and that made me sad. Unfortunately I was unable to be very sad, because I was immediately preoccupied with the sudden and unexpected death of my father. Oops. I will make up for it by being sad for Kurt at a later date.
8. I *am* functionally stupid. I get all excited about reading a book or an idea or an abstract concept, and then I walk into things. I'm *intellectually* quite capable of discourse. It's just that I'm not especially brilliant at functioning in a mundane sense - like remembering to eat food, or where I put my suddenly missing item, or my exact age. Et cetera. Brain smart, common sense stupid.
9. Nine is a perfectly good number and needs no introduction from me.

Ta daaaaa.

marshlight

Re: Intro

Postby marshlight » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:48 pm UTC

Sabatnoogen wrote:- I often find excuses to re-write Shakespearean sonnets with some alternate emphasis. (e.g. "Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day" as written for Sho 'Nuff from the Last Dragon)

Oh goodness. That is approximately perfect for my SO. Mind sharing / PMing?

Sabatnoogen

Last Dragon

Postby Sabatnoogen » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:59 pm UTC

Oh Goodness.

Um. It's kinda sucky. But what the hell, huh? What better way to introduce myself than with my figurative pants down.

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely if not more temperate.
Rough winds do quake in the wake of your spring,
The spry steps of Converse a harbinger of hell,
Often too hot the eye of heaven shines,
Yet Sho' Nuff alone is cause for burn and decay;
For to view the lensless of shades^, the uprightness of hair;
Unlike LeRoy, uncovered -- unbrimmed;
The beauty of thy glow need only your hands engulf,
That Death should ravage among your surroundings;
That Life should wield no claim to your will,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st:
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, Sho' Nuff! Sho' Nuff!

^editors note: Shakespeare meant this both literally (as in venetian blinds), and figuratively (as in sunglasses).

Rip away,
-Sav

JerseyInertia

Postby JerseyInertia » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:20 am UTC

Well I'm a 22 yr old college student in Boston, originally from Jersey. The most interesting thing about me is I just lived in Europe for four months (and it naturally was incredible). Kantank is my bf and I'm offering my couch/floor space for the September meet-up.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:27 am UTC

jgcrawfo wrote:
Ren wrote:
jgcrawfo wrote:HELLO. I AM NAMED JAMES. I LIVE IN ONTARIO, AND I STUDY MATH AT A UNIVERSITY THEREIN.

Which university? If you're in the 'Loo, we should go fly kites sometime.

I said I study math, didn't I? [/biggot]

Yeah, I'm at UW. What's your program?

Hey man. UW is not the only university in the 'Loo. *frowns*

I'm in music at WLU.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:57 am UTC

clearbright wrote:Hello people. I am called Yuan, and I loved reading this forum, and so have come to roost here a while, during my summer holidays, before I must decide what uni course to pick. :) I live in Britain, so I'm going into the Upper Sixth Form.

I dispense hugs!

Hugs thread. Now. Get.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:57 am UTC

Ren wrote:UW is not the only university in the 'Loo.

Does "loo" not mean the same thing in Canada? Because I'm immaturely chuckling away here...

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:01 am UTC

only for those who have knowledge of Brit/Aussie Terminology. Around these parts, 'Loo is short form for the crotch-pocket (egging certain people on) of Ontario, Waterloo. Which, BTW, isn't big enough to be it's own, it needs to be Kitchener-Waterloo. :D (waiting for Ren to come back with scathing retorts) :P
Narsil wrote:For the record, I am not:
b)obsessed with penii, I just have bad luck and they follow me everywh...

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

Dr. Venture

Postby Dr. Venture » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:30 am UTC

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie and I promise I'm not a spambot. Or a raptor. I'm an American, I'm 18, and I will be starting college this fall, studying engineering.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:42 am UTC

chrispy1 wrote:...Brit/Aussie Terminology.

:( I suppose I better get used to that sort of thing.

*is not a brit or an aussie

Dozer

Postby Dozer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:27 am UTC

This is not an introduction

Do you have a caps filter?

Yes, it's name is Mod.

edit: Hello Mod.
Last edited by Dozer on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dozer

Code: Select all

hello, I have just published my first web page. What is my address? Never mind, found it, thank you.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:22 am UTC

chrispy1 wrote:only for those who have knowledge of Brit/Aussie Terminology. Around these parts, 'Loo is short form for the crotch-pocket (egging certain people on) of Ontario, Waterloo. Which, BTW, isn't big enough to be it's own, it needs to be Kitchener-Waterloo. :D (waiting for Ren to come back with scathing retorts) :P

*insert scathing retorts here*

We call it that because it makes us all giggle too. Seriously! It makes sense, though, because unlike the European "WAterloo" we pronounce it "waterLOO." Hence, "the 'Loo."

And chrispy, you're just jealous because Waterloo is one of the top seven most intelligent cities in the world (NOT Kitchener), and we're not in debt, and we're awesome, and we've got the Starlight. And the Perimeter Institute. And Blackberries.

Plus, Kitchener is mad sketchy! (That's right. I said "mad" and "sketchy" together. :))

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:33 am UTC

Ren wrote:And chrispy, you're just jealous because Waterloo is one of the top seven most intelligent cities in the world (NOT Kitchener), and we're not in debt, and we're awesome, and we've got the Starlight. And the Perimeter Institute. And Blackberries.

you of course are right. what's oakville got? nuthin 'cept a bunch of yuppies. i guess the best thing in Oakville would be my wife.

actually been to UniLoo and WLU a couple of times (I went to guelph aka Moo U) and went to visit friends that I had there. really nice places. (there was a burger joint on/just off campus at WLU that made awesome fries. I can't remember the name of it, but it was kinda dingy, small, and run by a guy of Asian background - is it still there?)
Narsil wrote:For the record, I am not:
b)obsessed with penii, I just have bad luck and they follow me everywh...

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:27 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:I have an awesome girlfriend. I asked her to marry me, and she said yes.

Wheee! Congratulations. :D

Devilsaur

Postby Devilsaur » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:53 pm UTC

Hi, I'm a 50 foot raptor (not to be confused with a t-rex as I'm much more intelligent and deadly).

I enjoy sneaking up on unsuspecting prey, long walks on the tanaris beach, terrorizing lost archaeologists, and try my best to avoid stepping on critters. In my spare time I read xkcd and hatch world domination plans involving nanobot raptors and getting a disguised raptor in presidency. Three words I would use to describe myself would be terrorizing, crafty, and fear-instilling. And jackhammer. However, I can admit that my biggest weakness is that no one expects my mastermind capabilities at first glance. Fortunately, I've had many opportunities to prove myself by foiling many crude attempts to capture and cage me.

I look forward to socializing with you fleshies (while learning about your weaknesses). Please note I will not step on or eat people for you, unless they really deserve it or a cute velociraptor asks.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:29 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:
dubsola wrote:I have an awesome girlfriend. I asked her to marry me, and she said yes.

Wheee! Congratulations. :D

Or perhaps not. Anyone remember saxything's misfortunes?

2DMan

Postby 2DMan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:01 pm UTC

Year-odd lurker finally signing up, here. Introductions are in order, I guess.

Yo. I'm a UK student studying Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science at Sheffield Uni. I'm a gamer/net/software geek primarily, I guess, but I'm useless with hardware. I am a strange juxtaposition of cheerfully cynical optimist/pessimist (and no, even I don't know how that works - but I consider "to a cynic, the world is a comedy" practically a life philosophy) and I take vague pride in my bulletproof composure (hence 'Master of Calm' in my sig).

I've recently obtained my first job, a summer job at a small tech-related company, at which within two days I was given 5,000 lines of Oracle PL functions/procedures to port to PL/PostgreSQL, neither of which I have any experience with whatsoever. I finished successfully in three days and was given another seven thousand, and tend to get lots of funny looks when I tell people how much I consider my job to rock. I once spent two hours making a PSX emulator work, and then after the euphoria of success wore off was briefly saddened to realise that I therefore couldn't keep working on it. Then I realised I could now play the damn game, of course...

Uh, yeah. Oh, and I tend towards the weirdly philosophical and am a fan of life's little ironies. How's that for a self-summary?
2DMan - Master of Calm
Also known as 'TwoDaemon' on the IRC, with thanks to LE4dGOLEM.

Return to “General”