Australia, represent.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Aussie?

Bloody oath mate.
39%
Nah, I'm off the island.
61%

Total votes: 245

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:12 am UTC

thomasjmaccoll wrote:we got taught the 'SEXY' method, but a much simpler method was acutally at hand for us scots, written all over our exam papers.

see the company that runs all the education stuff here is called the scottish qualifications authority, or sqa, so 'SQA' is printed on every bit of paper. one of our teachers told us just to use this as

State
Analyse

which works brilliantly, as long as you remember the elaborating bit within state.

That is completely awesome!

We had BOS - Board of Studies. The only thing this really came to was Bored of Studies, which is a website where people doing exams can submit their notes into a database and help each other out.

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:24 am UTC

ah, board sounds like BORED, as in i'm bored, i get it! :)

that is a pretty good idea though, i'll need to check if there's something like that for here. when i actually start doing anything with my life again next september that is :)

another school related website we had was ratemyteacher.com, i think it was in america too but i don't know about australia. it had a list of every school and then you could add teachers and then comment on what you thought of them. the funny thing was, of course everyone just wanted to laugh at the teachers and make it a complete rammy, but whoever set it up wanted it to be a serious constructive resource or something to it was totally heavily modded, every comment was checked before posting and if it was something they deemed inappropriate your comment would come up blank. because of this people had to find more and more ways of coming up with sneaky digs at teachers, and there was always the odd sincere comment from a parent for added comedy value.

me and my brother used to take another route though, which was adding teachers that didn't exist. it started along phil mccracken and ben dover lines, but then we got better at it, it was really funny. Fake Teacher was a good one i remember, and because none of the mods actually knew what teachers were at each school (i presume this was the reason) they normally stayed up for a few days until they checked it out or it was reported or they just noticed it was ridiculous or something. there were some quality made up names, but sadly all that comes to mind at the moment is the rather lacklustre P.Niss. updates to follow if i remember more. edit: i just remembered that the end of the story was that we got ip banned from adding new teachers so that was the end of our tomfoolery.

(or maybe not, i just realised how incredibly off topic this is, but i'm not deleting all that now)
slow down, you move too fast

myoumyouou

Postby myoumyouou » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:30 am UTC

yeah i think aus has a rate my teacher as well
which is interesting
along those lines, some people at my old school made a myspace for our principle, (who is a total idiot (yes i toned that down alot) and has been trying to get rid of the year 12 school ball since he came to the school 5 years ago).
everything you've ever thought about has been thought about before. think about it

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:31 am UTC

I feel your pain. Ours got rid of our Spring Fair.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:55 am UTC

I made up a mnemonic for the Just war theory: Angry Gorillas Eat Little Midgets With Fries. Can't remember what it's meant to be, but that was about 5 years ago so :?
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Istrom

Postby Istrom » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:10 am UTC

I don't have time to read the entire thread, have to go to sleep, but I can tell you I AM half kiwi. [/frowns-the-frown-of-a-thousand-evils]

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:30 am UTC

thomasjmaccoll wrote:another school related website we had was ratemyteacher.com

I checked up on my old school, haha
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:30 pm UTC

i haven't checked for ages, the ip banning on doing anything took the fun out of it:(
slow down, you move too fast

jmce

Postby jmce » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:13 am UTC

I shall revive this thread with a shot of Aussie (caution: can be dangerous when concentrated and mixed with vegimite and/or beer):

That should do the trick. Feel free to add more as you see fit.

C'mon guys, we have a disproportionately large presence on these forums. Make it felt! And never forget that we also have the enormousest ... things in all the world. :wink:
chaosspawn wrote:...a computer screen still can't hug you.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:16 am UTC

Shots of Aussie? Jmce, you're an ideas man.

Also, soon everyone will be able to share in our Big Things, because they are putting them on postage stamps! I know this from Richard Glover, and cryptic crooning. Yes, I listen to AM radio! :D I just hope they put them all on disproportionately large stamps.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:59 am UTC

Don't forget
"Tell 'im he's dreamin'..."
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

PS_Mouse

Postby PS_Mouse » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:49 am UTC

*waves*
I think I used to have a porpoise; then again, that might have been a dream. | Eternal life comes to those who wait
Never forget how the brave Tenzing Norgay outsmarted the evil Edmund Hillary

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:10 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:Don't forget
"Tell 'im he's dreamin'..."

Acres and acres of serenity...

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:48 pm UTC

It's a shame Bonnie Doon's pretty much a dry well these days. :(

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:58 pm UTC

jmce wrote:What are your legs? ... Springs. Steel springs.

i flinched when i read that. that movie still shakes me when i think about it.

"...it's the constitution, it's mabo, it's the vibe..."
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

kcr

Postby kcr » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:49 am UTC

A few of my favorite books are by Australian authors. Coincidentally.

And one of my good friends is from Australia.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:08 am UTC

deleted by poster
Last edited by lesliesage on Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:20 am UTC

most of what I know about austrelia is from "pricilla queen of the desert"

PS_Mouse

Postby PS_Mouse » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

Evidently, the correct spelling of the word 'Australia' doesn't appear in that movie.
I think I used to have a porpoise; then again, that might have been a dream. | Eternal life comes to those who wait
Never forget how the brave Tenzing Norgay outsmarted the evil Edmund Hillary

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:53 am UTC

hahah i love australian stuff, I even got to study The Castle for my HSC! best luck eh. That movie is hilarious. I found a way to work in most of the best lines into my essay about it. including "Dale dug a hole" which in itself isnt all that funny... but if youve seen the movie I bet you laughed or at least smiled at the wonderful way Daryl said it.
Anyway, in case no one out there noticed.. my little area of Newcastle and the Hunter Valley has just suffered a NATURAL DISASTER. I had no idea thats what it was while it was happening, but its been declared. Those in Sydney would have felt the tail end of it. A category 1 cyclone! we dont get cyclones here. They belong much further up north. There was even snow reported in one or two areas. We were without power for a day, which wasnt so bad. My parents are campers so we were just camping in doors for a day. But plenty of people had to swim from their cars which got stuck.. and avoid giant chasms opening in the road (admittedly it was only one chasm... but really... its something like ten metres across and thirty metres deep). Plenty of people out west with houses under water, lots of flooding around the place... and ha! one of the coal tankers off Newcastle was pushed into the beach by the strong winds and is now stuck on Nobbys beach. That hasnt happened in 30 years and the remanents of the last one is still stuck on Stockton beach rusting.
It has been an eventful weekend so far for Newcastle and the surrounding area. Just hope the missing people are found safe and no more people are found dead. The weather really is getting crazy around the world these days.
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman

Drake Zure

Postby Drake Zure » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:06 am UTC

rachel wrote:Okay! Here is me being ... I'm not sure. I really ... I just have no idea. But it looks like I was having fun. And touching my butt, too.

Okay, and here is me sitting on a counter. You know. Hanging out there, eating my sucker. I am also having fun in this picture, but not touching my butt. My face looks kind of weird.

Edit: So wait. Am I getting married or not? (Probably not, but I am pretty okay with that by now.)

you look like my brother's wife.
benjhuey wrote:
IceMod wrote:The fingers did surprise me though.

That's what SHE said.
And then she left. I wonder why...

jmce

Postby jmce » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:22 am UTC

Hey, I forgot to "watch" this topic, so I didn't get any emails and assumed my Aussie Shots had been unsuccessful.
Then realisation dawned. :idea:

Pebbles, I did hear about the cyclone and did indeed experience some of its effects, though none too drastic. Last I heard, the death toll was nine. I hope all your friends and family - as well as other Hunter-based xkcders - are ok!

The Castle is ... just pure genius. Every second line is quotable. In fact, I am amazed it doesn't have a page on Wikiquote. We should be responsible for its creation!

@4=5: I hate to think what your impressions of Aus must be if Priscilla is your only source :o

@lesliesage: Tasmania's actually a pretty cool place.

@PS_Mouse: *waves back*
Last edited by jmce on Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
chaosspawn wrote:...a computer screen still can't hug you.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:45 am UTC

Actually, a thought occurs to me as I am happily rocking out to some Sherbet - surely we'd have to be the only country in the world that would talk about catching a cheating lover in terms of whether a batsman should be declared out.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:59 am UTC

do we get a HOWZAT!? when he/she gets busted?
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:01 pm UTC

German Sausage wrote:do we get a HOWZAT!? when he/she gets busted?

depends, was the catch taken from behind?
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:08 pm UTC

I don't know. He declares he caught her out, so I do not even know why he has to ask howzat, really. Isn't it only when it's not clear? (I do not watch so much of the cricket.)

In terms of the song, we get several howzats every chorus, where he establishes he has busted the woman, yes. No idea as to her position in relation to metaphorical stumps. I do not even know what the stumps would be in a situation such as this! It is a pretty loose analogy, really.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:12 pm UTC

deleted by poster
Last edited by lesliesage on Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:20 pm UTC

I'm sure it's similar; the people just have more heads.

(Tasmania to Australia, that is. I have no idea about Bristol.)
Last edited by hermaj on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:28 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:It is a pretty loose analogy, really.

A loose analogy for a loose woman, I always say...
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

CitizenErased

Postby CitizenErased » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:42 am UTC

Another aussie here....

Woohoo first post as well! :D

anyway back to clearing the street of kangaroos and keeping an eye out for those bloody drop bears....

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:46 am UTC

Welcome to the forums! It would be awesome if you went on over to the introduction thread and told us about yourself (and your kangaroo-fighting abilities, I could use some tips :P)

CitizenErased

Postby CitizenErased » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:55 am UTC

It's not the kangaroos you have to worry about, it's those drop bears, they are deadly...and I hear they love attacking gullible Americans :lol:

thebeanie

Postby thebeanie » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:11 am UTC

I plan on moving to New Zealand as soon as possible....

Luckily, when you die anywhere in the Southern Hemisphere, you don't die in real life.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:23 am UTC

thebeanie wrote:I plan on moving to New Zealand as soon as possible...

on ya bro

Just keep your damn possums.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:13 am UTC

Do you not have possums there, Spit?

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:28 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Do you not have possums there, Spit?

Yep. We got them from you and we don't like them. Please don't bring any more species...

:P

CitizenErased

Postby CitizenErased » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:43 am UTC

Please don't bring any more species...

I think we may have one or two spare cane toads lying around up north somewhere if you're keen, I'll swap ya for some kiwi birds

pete

Postby pete » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:43 am UTC

As a South African I have to say I support any team playing against Australia (in any sport) by default, but this video is the funniest thing I've seen in ages.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:25 pm UTC

Any team playing against us?

*is searching her brain to remember why this would be*

South Africa does not like us, or did something happen? I remember something about cricket and Zimbabwe, but I have a shocking memory for sport-related things.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:05 pm UTC

Australia wins at cricket at the moment, I think they just knocked south africa off the top of the one day match ladder.

Zimbabwe is cause they think it wouldn't be safe for our team there or something... dunno why :?
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Return to “General”