Australia, represent.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Aussie?

Bloody oath mate.
39%
Nah, I'm off the island.
61%

Total votes: 245

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:39 pm UTC

Or in the showers after the match?

Also can someone explain how soft ball happens to be one of the most painful sports to catch a ball in?
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:57 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:I bet a heap of inactive people voted, I swear the ratio of Aussies to Non-aussies is higher then this!

You should still be able to win at Risk though

Seriously, just pile up on Papau New Guinea - they'll never be able to take you!

Wait, they have Canada now!
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:17 pm UTC

moopanda wrote:Woo! First base! ... I never really understood the "base" system. For example, where is shoving your head up someone else's butt? I'm going guess that it's in the dugout?

And where, in fact, do the different fielders come in to it all? what's up with the crowd and, (most importantly) where's my hotdog?*

*please not, I am not American and so understand very little baseball in any case.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:45 pm UTC

The base system is like playing catch with your friend (singular), as there are only two people playing. Um, you can have more, but then it gets awkward. Heads in the butt are strictly reserved for after the game showering. But seriously, who puts their head in someone's butt? (No offense to people here who may be putting their heads in other people's butts.) It hurts to catch a softball because most leagues are fast pitch, and that shit hurts. Slow pitch is way easy. And they usually even use a spongy ball. Lame.

Not quite as secret as his(?) was PS to Ephphatha:

It took too much concentration to type your name, I put a lot of 'ph's that didn't belong there. Also, hey! Fonzie was a pretty neat guy.

moopanda

Postby moopanda » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:41 am UTC

The head up the butt thing was strictly in reference to rugby. Not into that kind of thing at all...

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:27 am UTC

Of course you aren't! (That wasn't sarcasm ... I believe you, I swear.)

So I am not getting married into Australia, eh? Oh well, I will maybe have to take that test or something.

myoumyouou

Postby myoumyouou » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:56 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:Don't forget being a white Christian!

bahahahahah
actually the white christians want you to believe that its only white christians,
if their policy held up, then yes, all white christians

oh, btw i'm aussie
everything you've ever thought about has been thought about before. think about it

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:17 am UTC

Wait, wait, I am white but not Christian. Do I still qualify? Will I be deducted points when I take that test?

Myoumyouou: I am trying to be Australian, but it is not working out at all. Want to get married?

moopanda

Postby moopanda » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:20 am UTC

I'm sort of white, but very much not Christian. So that's OK! There does seem to be a bit of an anti-muslim sentiment though, so atheism is probably the safest option (isn't it always!).

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:24 am UTC

It is pretty safe! Possibly being agnostic is safer. "Err, I believe something...". You could definitely adapt that somehow.

@rachel: Also, I would marry you to save you having to do the test, but I am a lady and you are a lady and I am pretty sure they won't accept that in either of our countries. Maybe you could come here in some sort of crudely formed boat with a load of other people? Is that still the done thing?

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:25 am UTC

It is the safest option until you are surrounded by die-hard believers. Then I am fairly certain they'd either convince you to believe in God, trick you into believing in God, beat you until you believed in God.

I could just take that test, but first find someone who already took it and ask them what I needed to know. I am scared of being on boats in the middle of the ocean, partly because of Jaws and partly because it is the fucking middle of the ocean, and that shit is huge.

(Edited to include a response to hermaj, thank you for offering to marry me lady-on-lady style, even though that is pretty illegal some places.)

moopanda

Postby moopanda » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:29 am UTC

hermaj wrote:It is pretty safe! Possibly being agnostic is safer. "Err, I believe something...". You could definitely adapt that somehow.

@rachel: Also, I would marry you to save you having to do the test, but I am a lady and you are a lady and I am pretty sure they won't accept that in either of our countries. Maybe you could come here in some sort of crudely formed boat with a load of other people? Is that still the done thing?

Agnosticism always seemed like a bit of a cop out to me. It's like worst of all worlds, in that you don't want to rule anything out. But you don't get the advantages either (whatever they may be).

I enjoy the challenge of talking down god-botherers. Nothing like a good argument where neither side can win decisively.

Last I heard we were patrolling with armed boats to shoot down boat people weren't we? But if there's one thing John Howard dislikes more than illegal immigrants, it's homosexuals.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:37 am UTC

Yeah, it was either boat people or illegal whalers! I couldn't remember. I just saw it on Border Security. (Yes, we have a popular television show dedicated to border protection! This is why we have to think of a sneaky plan for rachel.)

When I was a pretty strong Christian I used to grab my Bible and go into Jesus chatrooms and argue with all the other Christians who were trying to convert people. It just used to piss me off, and I would fight them. I'm not sure what that said about me as a Christian person, defending those who didn't want to be converted? I think I just liked the arguments.

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:43 am UTC

I think it makes you a better Christian than most. (I am not meaning to turn this into a discussion about religion, guys. I know that gets on people's nerves. I am doing it anyway for a minute.) Christianity shouldn't be something that you try to force on others, and your relationship with God isn't something that you need to turn into a public affair. It means more when you are devoted and it is not all about showing off how "Christian" you are. Do what you need to do, everyone else doesn't need to know about it. They also don't need to be heckled for not believing what you believe, because that is just wrong. (Done.)

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:48 am UTC

rachel wrote:I think it makes you a better Christian than most. (I am not meaning to turn this into a discussion about religion, guys. I know that gets on people's nerves. I am doing it anyway for a minute.) Christianity shouldn't be something that you try to force on others, and your relationship with God isn't something that you need to turn into a public affair. It means more when you are devoted and it is not all about showing off how "Christian" you are. Do what you need to do, everyone else doesn't need to know about it. They also don't need to be heckled for not believing what you believe, because that is just wrong. (Done.)

Yeah, I think that is pretty correct. I have a lot of very strong Christian friends whom I admire because they seem to live by that code, and to me that speaks a lot more than drilling into people. And thanks :). It's kind of a shame that I ended up losing at Christianity after all of that!

Anyway, back to getting you in. Could you maybe pretend to have a sick/dying relative with no next of kin except you and no means of support? Do they ever let you in for that? Also you could come for that xkcd thing in Sydney we might have and just never leave? Who would know?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:51 am UTC

Well yeah, perhaps I shouldn't have said Christian - you can be whatever religion you want, just be prepared to get stopped for random searches at airports a lot.

(I'm going to stop here before I start a religion war...)

moopanda

Postby moopanda » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:52 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Who would know?

We would! But I don't think we'll turn you in. You may yet prove... useful :-P Didn't a bunch of atheletes from Lesotho or somewhere try to stay in the country by running away after they had done their bit in the commonwealth games? I think they were eventually caught :-(

Are you good at any sport? If there's one thing I know about Australia, it's that we love people who could potentially win us medals at the Olympics!

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:52 am UTC

Sierra Leone, I believe it was, and they were allowed to stay. Melbourne FTW. ;)

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:53 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:Well yeah, perhaps I shouldn't have said Christian - you can be whatever religion you want, just be prepared to get stopped for random searches at airports a lot.

Hey, I think it was a pretty accurate comment given our Prime Minister's apparent attitude. I think it wasn't quite that we were talking about but more the kind of people that figuratively hit other people with Bibles.

EDIT: Edited for comments that appeared while I was still typing. (Yay for having lots of company!):
Were they really allowed to stay? I thought we sent them back.

moopanda

Postby moopanda » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:03 pm UTC

Yeah I thought we sent them back too... but further research reveals that they were at least granted temporary protection visas.

Does anyone know whether it's a coincidence that travel documents are visas, and then there's the visa credit card? I've also heard that the v in visa stands for visa... so they could've chosen ANY acronym they liked...

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:07 pm UTC

That is something I have actually wondered.

V in which Visa? Credit card or travel permit? I did not know V stood for Visa. It seems kind of redundant unless they are in fact related. I thought maybe it would stand for visitor, or something? Acronyms are pretty confusing.

moopanda

Postby moopanda » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:17 pm UTC

"Visa is a brand of credit card and debit card operated by the Visa International Service Association"

So says wikipedia.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:18 pm UTC

Clearly they're just lazy, then.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:21 pm UTC

Or trying to confuse us by giving an acronym that doesn't actually provide any information? Maybe there is a conspiracy.

moopanda

Postby moopanda » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:31 pm UTC

It's more widespread than we first thought. They're already in control! Check out here and here.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:41 pm UTC

*GASP* There are more like it!!

I like RAS syndrome, actually. I work in retail and it's all I can bear sometimes hearing people say "PIN number" - it is good to actually have a tongue-in-cheek way of referring to that.

moopanda

Postby moopanda » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:43 pm UTC

People use far too many TLAs as it is ;-)

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:50 pm UTC

They do. But that's okay, raptors will eat them.

moopanda

Postby moopanda » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:54 pm UTC

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if raptors started the proliferation of TLAs and RAS syndrome to distract us on message boards while they... uh oh.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:13 pm UTC

Back on the boat people thing. I heard from a guy who knew a guy who was friends with the dude who did some thing somewhere (this anecdote may not be reliable) the Korea once sent out two F/A-18's to deal with a boatload of refugees. The first one flew low overhead and did a fuel dump, the next flew over a bit higher and did a dump and burn.

Now what makes me doubt this is, why would people flee to Korea? If they were fleeing from Korea, why were they a problem? It's still amusing to me however :)
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:29 pm UTC

Ephphatha wrote:Back on the boat people thing. I heard from a guy who knew a guy who was friends with the dude who did some thing somewhere (this anecdote may not be reliable) the Korea once sent out two F/A-18's to deal with a boatload of refugees. The first one flew low overhead and did a fuel dump, the next flew over a bit higher and did a dump and burn.

Now what makes me doubt this is, why would people flee to Korea? If they were fleeing from Korea, why were they a problem? It's still amusing to me however :)

South Korea, why not? Especially if you live in the north, or in china

I never understood why killing refugees is "fair game" for some reason. I hate people.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

myoumyouou

Postby myoumyouou » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:31 pm UTC

rachel wrote:Wait, wait, I am white but not Christian. Do I still qualify? Will I be deducted points when I take that test?

Myoumyouou: I am trying to be Australian, but it is not working out at all. Want to get married?

yeah, why not. then if you don't like me, you can divorce me and keep your australian status, good plan
everything you've ever thought about has been thought about before. think about it

Teaspoon

Postby Teaspoon » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:15 pm UTC

Rachel, you can marry me if/when you come to Australia in July. You just have to share me with Rianna (who I share with VannA, who is shared between Rianna and... hey, how long do you reckon we can make the chain?)

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:55 pm UTC

Yes! Alright, I am getting married twice. Assuming that's legal (I'm sure it's not). We can still try, though, right?

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:38 pm UTC

If you really want to stretch it, my offer is still open. We can go for three!
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:45 pm UTC

Mine too, really. If you're going to be unconventional you might as well go the whole way. :P

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:48 pm UTC

I am all for a four-way marriage. Let's do this. (I'm a cashew.)

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:24 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:It's kind of a shame that I ended up losing at Christianity after all of that!

I lost

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:26 pm UTC

The raptors would know

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:30 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:

The raptors would know

The raptors always know ....

Return to “General”