Some Favorite Quotes (merged: Post-a-quote)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cornelius

Re: Some Favorite Quotes

Postby Cornelius » Tue May 13, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

"Personally, I don't think some one who truly believes their men are going to a better place when they die is the best person to lead them into battle." - Vigil

I really have to agree with him on that. I mean, being a Non-Theist and all.
ImageImageImage

Immortal_Z

Postby Immortal_Z » Tue May 13, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

"Do not challenge yourself. Challenge the world to beat the shit out of you." -Ryan Riverside

One of my favorite quotes. Though no one will have heard of him x)
An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Wed May 14, 2008 4:56 pm UTC

The best things in life are either illegal, or immoral, or lead to obesity.
- Some smart joker.

Who doesn't drink and doesn't smoke
Will die a very healthy bloke!
- Folk wisdom (?)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Nyssa

Postby Nyssa » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:15 am UTC

Man, I just found my six year old web page that I haven't really touched since 2004 (and even then it was brief). I used it to store quotes, so I thought I'd share some (I've got either approx. 2000 or 5000... so you only get some). Most of them don't have references, I know. Feel free to google them yourselves, should you care, as I'm too lazy (and don't really care).

No culture has a monopoly on beauty or value.. Just as no religion has a monopoly on truth. - Voltaire

As soon as the rush is over, I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. I worked for it. I owe it to myself, and nobody is going to deprive me of it.

For further information, consult your pineal gland.

Lions: 5, Christians: 0.

Quantum Express: When you absolutely, positively, don't know where it's going or when it needs to be there.

The three greatest men who ever lived were Eleanor Roosevelt.

Cannibalism is a small price to pay for popularity.

This is precisely the sort of thing that people who like this sort of thing will like.

I intend to live forever or die trying.

My favorite food is squirrel, but I want to fight with glory.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to flallop about wildly.

I don't believe in reason, objective reality or collective farming.

Our god's the FUN god! Our god's the SUN god! Ra! Ra! Ra!

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.

A sucking chest wound is just nature's way of telling you to slow down.

The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.

"Romantic love is a mental illness. But, it's a pleasurable one. It's a drug. It distorts reality, and that's the point of it. It would be impossible to fall in love with someone that you really saw." ~Fran Lebowitz

"Did you ever want to set someone's head on fire, just to see what it looks like? Did you ever stand in the street and think to yourself, I could make that nun go blind, just by giving her a kiss. did you ever lay out plans for stitching babies and stray cats into a perfect new human? Did you ever strip naked surrounded by people who want your gleaming sperm, squirting frankincense, soma and testosterone from every pore? If so, then you're the bastard who stole my drugs Friday night. and I'll find you. Oh, yes." -Transmetropolitian

I shall now make myself a sandwich. God help the neighbors if they have no cheese. -JtHM

"She pretends not to understand me. So I hit her. She overreacts. Dies. You know, Europeans." - Kids in the Hall

"For NASA, space is still a high priority." - g. bush

A woman's home is her castle. Excuse me while I go raise the drawbridge. -Daria

"If I had a nickel for ever time I've heard that, I'd fill a sock with them and beat the shit out of you for saying something so stupid."

Love can sweep you off your feet and carry you along in a way you've never known before. But the ride always ends, and you end up feeling lonely and bitter. Wait. It's not love I'm describing. I'm thinking of a monorail. -Jack Handy

Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaut on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham!, you just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man." -Jack Handy

I bet the main reason the police keep people away from a plane crash is they don't want anybody walking in and lying down in the crash stuff, then, when somebody comes up, act like they just woke up and go, "What was THAT?!" -Jack Handy

"Remember, people will judge you by your actions, not your intentions. You may have a heart of gold -- but so does a hard-boiled egg."

Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. - W. C. Fields

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Snore and you sleep alone. ~Anthony Burgess

"I read about an Eskimo hunter who asked the local missionary priest, 'If I did not know God and sin, would I go to hell?' 'No,' said the priest, 'not if you did not know.' 'Then why,' asked the Eskimo earnestly, 'did you tell me?'" -- Annie Dillard

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

"When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes." -- Desiderius Erasmus

"We all live in the protection of certain cowardices which we call our principles." -- Mark Twain

"We are all worms, but I believe I am a glowworm." -- Winston Churchill

Traveling there was really boring so I headed for the ditch. It was a rough ride but I met more interesting people there. -- Neil Young

"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself."
-- J. S. Bach

If you can't learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly. - Ashleigh Brilliant

"Remember; if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"Then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...you give them a piece of you. They don't ask for it. They do something dumb one day like kiss you, or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore." -- Neil Gaiman

If you call me insane again, I'll eat your other eye.

No really, I'm a magical being. Take off your bra.

"Moles and trolls, moles and trolls, work, work, work, work, work. We never see the light of day. We plan this thing for weeks and all they want to do is study. I'm disgusted. I'm sorry but it's not like me, I'm depressed. There was what, no one at the mutant hamster races and we had one entry into the Madame Curie look-alike contest and he was disqualified later. Why do I bother?" -Chris Knight 'Real Genius'

"So other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the show?"

"The existence of flamethrowers tells me that sometime, somewhere, a guy said 'I want to burn those people over there, but I'm not quite close enough to do it.'"

"This is my 'depressed stance.' When you're depressed, it makes a lot of difference how you stand. The worst thing you can do is straighten up and hold your head high because then you'll start to feel better. If you're going to get any joy out of being depressed, you've got to stand like this." -- Charlie Brown

"I've had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

"All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Pierce (1842-1914)
I've been sent to give you a singing mammogram.

anyone

Postby anyone » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:10 pm UTC

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature." - Michael Faraday

Hellaphunt

Your Own Personal Quotes

Postby Hellaphunt » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Sorry if this thread already exists, but would you like to share some of your own personal words to be remembered by or something you live by?
Something about the meaning of life or how you wish people would stop driving slow in the passing lane.

Anyway, mine are, "Sometimes it's better left alone."

I'm planning on asking random strangers in the real world for their own quotes. Maybe one day I'll have enough to start a site about it.
Many of man's greatest achievements were largely inspired by a woman.

Liet Kynes

Re: Your Own Personal Quotes

Postby Liet Kynes » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:39 pm UTC

My motto: Try not to die

"Life may suck but death sucks more"

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Cleanlinesss is next to godliness, thankfully I'm an atheist. (A friend came up with that, but I like it, and for the record I'm more untidy than dirty)

Also, if a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what's a clear desk the sign of? (I think I read that somewhere to be honest)
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Liet Kynes

Postby Liet Kynes » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

I just remembered one that relates to me very much so:

"I love deadlines; I love the wooshing sound they make as they fly by"-Douglas Adams

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

"One second, I'm just going over there and beat that guy up"

(I was a pretty angry kid. I won by the way, though I didn't actually go as far as to beat him up)
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

timt

Postby timt » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:11 am UTC

See sig

Angelic Hellraiser

Postby Angelic Hellraiser » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:50 am UTC

Even those in Hell deserve a second chance.
But, what do I know? I'm just a lonely shoe-maker...

Levi

Postby Levi » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:51 am UTC

"It's time for some epic." - Me

Unfortunately, I don't have a deep enough voice for it to sound very good when I say it.

Alias

Postby Alias » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:07 am UTC

I live by the quotes (well lyrics)

"Always did a favor, but never took an order" - Shelia, by Jamie T - i am very very helpful, as long as i am not forced to be
"Freedom will not make you free... you only are what you belive" - Phil Ochs... im thinking of getting this tattoed on me... i hate people who agree with whatever they are told without first thinking out their viewpoint.
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sicarius Barritus

Postby Sicarius Barritus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:14 am UTC

SpeZek but from SRN wrote:It doesn't make sense that the holocaust was faked, it doesn't make sense that the moon landing was faked, it doesn't make sense that politicians are fake humans and it doesn't make sense that 9/11 was faked by flying planeloads of people into two buildings and then an hour later using bombs and thermite together to collapse the towers for Larry Silverstein to commit insurance fraud whilst simultaneously allowing evil Zionist Jews to somehow make a buttload of money by sending the western world into war and devaluing the US dollar (on which they documented their nefarious plans via origami becuase while they are clever, they still fall victim to the classic symptom of beng a villain and leave clues for the hero, you, to figure it all out) and sinking the world into an econimic crisis where the only thing with any real intrinsical value, land, is being devalued; just like how they apparantly faked the Holocaust so that they could build Israel out of sympathy to their dead but non-pure Jew neighbours and Hitler was really their best buddy and they financed him because he didn't really hate Jews, he was just "in on it", and just like somehow faking landing on the moon helped them to make money somehow by beating the Russians and commiting tax fraud (even though they could just raise taxes anyway instead of bothering to put the time and effort into developing a fake space program that would actually work if they implemented it but they never bothered) but even the Russians were in on it because they never reported that the moon landing didn't happen even though they tracked it because they are all Jews too, even though Russia kicked all the Jews out because they realize they are ruling the world right now; and just like how the pyramids were actually built by Aryan aliens from Mars that brought the "Ancient Knowledge" (see sig) to earth to lift stones and make simple geometric shapes to house Human kings that are falling apart right now, I'm guessing it had something to do with ruling the world, maybe Stargate is actually an expository piece like how Bill and Ted and The Matrix predicted 9/11, because what kind of comic-book villain wouldn't leave clues for everybody to figure them out with?

It's supposed to be a run-on sentence (minus the semicolon) as it adds to the insanity. I don't actually write like that, it's more of an art piece.
A reply to the mentally ill population on the board I currently reside on.

Levi

Postby Levi » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:55 am UTC

"Imagine the intelligence of the average person... Now imagine that half of them are dumber than that." - Not me.

Alias

Postby Alias » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:59 am UTC

i LIKE that

:)
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:31 am UTC

"I was thinking about... " *falls for no apparent reason* ".... falling for no reason"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:36 am UTC

My stance on equality:

"EVERYONE make me dinner, bitch."
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Liet Kynes

Postby Liet Kynes » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:40 am UTC

My stance on equality:

"I don't have time to play favorites; I hate everyone equally."

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:44 am UTC

I say this a lot: "FUCK IT, let's go!"
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

Hellaphunt

Postby Hellaphunt » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:05 am UTC

My stance on equality:

"You're unique... just like everyone else."
Many of man's greatest achievements were largely inspired by a woman.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:06 am UTC

"You should think about why you think the thoughts you think." - me. I do not know why I thought of that though. IRONY FTW
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Warpath

Postby Warpath » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:26 am UTC

Frequently when I hear someone complaining about someting, I think of this:

"What did you expect? A f***ing christmas tree?"

It's not really tied to anything but it seems right to me in my head. I seldom actually say it though, because I'd probably get in some kind of trouble; or at the very least, look like an asshole.

screech

Postby screech » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:19 am UTC

^that is a good one.

My motto is: Everything is real, even the stuff that isn't. I later found out this was paraphrased in Discordianism.
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

vordhosbn

Postby vordhosbn » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:39 am UTC

"you know, with enough duct tape that just might work!"
especially useful when used as a non sequitur
Ego Custodiam Ipsos Custodet

anouk

Postby anouk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:52 am UTC

screech wrote:^that is a good one.

My motto is: Everything is real, even the stuff that isn't. I later found out this was paraphrased in Discordianism.

Similar to a quote from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest as well; 'It's the truth, even if it didn't happen' or something to that effect. I like it.
Someone say something funny please, I need a new signature.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:04 am UTC

Fashion is the opposite of choice.

Tillan

Postby Tillan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

Shotguns solve all.
Now work damnit! No, dont carry on posting here, you're a very busy person. work work work!!

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

"hey guys, watch this!! (quite likely to be my last words)
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

Liet Kynes

Postby Liet Kynes » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

My likely last words: "I REGRET NOTHING!"

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:06 pm UTC

Me, in response to the philosophical question of whether humans are basically good, with some evil popping up now and then, or basically evil, with a little good shining through as aberrations now and then:

"Humans are basically good, so long as no alternative presents itself."

My motto:

"If you're going to do something stupid, be SMART about it!"

Regarding the "gore" of Metroid Prime, and how it's not really gross, since it's more like killing insects than anything (and who gets grossed out by fly guts, or swatting a mosquito with their bare hands?):

"I wish it was more like stepping on a squirrel."

Oh, and question: Anyone know if the following quotes are from anything in particular, or if my diseased brain came up with them on my own?

"I kneel before God alone."

"I can neither confirm nor deny the veracity of such rumors at this time."
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

I'm sure I've heard that last one before.

The only quote I know of that I made uniquely is "A beard is not a beard until you can use it as a battering ram."

However the one that forms the basis of a fair bit of my thought is "You can never entirely prove anything to be true, unless no-one can imagine a hypothetical scenario in which it is false. Even then, people probably just need better imaginations."
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

KingLoser wrote:"EVERYONE make me a dinner-bitch."

Aikanaro wrote:"I kneel before God alone."
I've thought this before. Coincidence?
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Liet Kynes

Postby Liet Kynes » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:
Aikanaro wrote:"I kneel before God alone."
I've thought this before. Coincidence?

Yeah, probably. Why wouldn't it be?

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

You're right...I think I meant: "I haven't heard of it anywhere".
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

"Can we try that again, with a little less fail this time?"
"They say messiness is a sign of genius; I must be the smartest man alive."
"Because screw making sense!"
"Screw you too, physics!"
I have a lot of these things I say when annoyed.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

HareichiSan

Postby HareichiSan » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:33 am UTC

One that I say quite often is, "There's no point in not trying."

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:58 am UTC

"My, the earth really is full of things"
- The King of All Cosmos

Also the one in my sig.

DaMann

Postby DaMann » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:11 am UTC

"Fuck this, I'm going to sleep" Probably my most common

"Astral Projection" Say it as much as possible, it confuses people, then explain it in the most confusing but true manner possible!

Return to “General”