Stem Cell Research

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hermaj

Stem Cell Research

Postby hermaj » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:23 pm UTC

WOO! 100th POST!

So it looks as though the legislation blocking stem cell research in Australia is in the process of being lifted! What do people think about this?

I personally am extremely happy, studying gene science and all. I'm really interested in the medical/pathological areas and I think stem cell research is going to help this a lot.

moopanda

Postby moopanda » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:31 pm UTC

Oh wow, that's fantastic! It will really help put Australia on the map in terms of cutting edge research. We're already a nice compromised between price (cheaper than doing your research in America!) and quality (less fraudulent than doing your research in Korea!). Opening this area up will generate a lot of scientific interest in Australia, especially because this sort of stuff is banned in a lot fo other places. Go us! Unbelievable that politicians finally had some sense.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:32 pm UTC

w00t!

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:43 pm UTC

The best thing is alot of scientists wanting to do stem cell research will probably move over here which will not only be really cool but also better the economy!

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:10 pm UTC

Makes me annoyed to live in a Christian, right-wing America. If you die in Australia, do you die in real life?

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:38 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:Makes me annoyed to live in a Christian, right-wing America. If you die in Australia, do you die in real life?

IIRC, you respawn, but as another Australian, rather than having to have your origin randomly selected from a list of random origins. The only way to escape this cycle is to become a citizen of a country outside of Australia. However, If memory serves, there's not much point - Australia's the best Respawn point anyway.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:01 am UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:However, If memory serves, there's not much point - Australia's the best Respawn point anyway.

Indeed, I've been able to build up my cannons many a time when sequestered away there. Everyone else fights each other, then I sweep through Southeast Asia and take America through Kamchatka. After that I lay low, but the damage is done: I'm getting more per turn than anyone else by far, and I have many avenues of attack.

And congratulations to Australia. It's a good day for America too--for example, a victory for stem cell research was also scored in Wisconsin, where Mark Green seems to have been denied the the governor's seat.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:17 am UTC

Whatever it is; my stance is neutral.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:12 pm UTC

Update: According to ABC's Lateline, it was won in the Senate by a single vote. Embryos/umbilical cord cells are okay, animal-human hybrid cells are not okay. It'll be about six months before anyone can use the technology here probably because I think they need to get licences.

Also this is all just as I sort of heard it, so apologies if anything there is incorrect. I am pretty sure it isn't.

EDIT: Edited for incorrect TV station. I am completely not on the ball tonight!

Return to “General”