I want to dye my hair blue but Im afraid of hair racism! o-o

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ivora

I want to dye my hair blue but Im afraid of hair racism! o-o

Postby Ivora » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:05 am UTC

Hi... so have you ever dyed your hair? Like a really popular color choice? :D

Then people treat you like some damn stereotype?! (Dumb blondes, Nerdy, brunettes, Emo* blackies)

See I want to dye mine like ... turquoise. I think its fresh and an interesting choice... but apparently my friends think its unprofessional and a strange. :roll:

Which made me think... why does hair color matter? It should be just like skin color! Not a big deal at all, right? But one of my friends sister dyed hers pink and she can't seem to land a job since she made the switch from brown!

WTF?!

*Yeah, thats right. Emo! :o

TaintedDeity

Re: I want to dye my hair blue but Im afraid of hair racism! o-o

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:08 am UTC

You will be stared out, shouted at, complimented, laughed at and people will talk about you behind your back.
However, you might look wicked cool. It's a conundrum.

A friend of mine habitually dyes her hair different unnatural colours and it will be harder to get jobs as people will think you're just a rebellious teen, however, it is possible to overcome that first impression.

I'm rambling so I'll stop here.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:22 am UTC

My sister just dyed her hair green/turquoise, but not completely, just some strands. It really stands out.

I think it doesn't look unprofessional in some jobs, like, say, an artist or a musician.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:23 am UTC

Ivora wrote:See I want to dye mine like ... turquoise. I think its fresh and an interesting choice... but apparently my friends think its unprofessional and a strange. :roll:

Which made me think... why does hair color matter? It should be just like skin color! Not a big deal at all, right? But one of my friends sister dyed hers pink and she can't seem to land a job since she made the switch from brown!

It's not like skin color. I don't know anybody who dyes their skin; a person's skin color doesn't reflect their choices or attitudes. Hair color is more like clothing, since you have more choice in the matter. Your can dye it to make a statement, or for simple aesthetic reasons. Appearances are informative and/or relevant to certain kinds of jobs, so it doesn't seem particularly surprising or wrong that your choice of hair color (like your choice of interview attire) will affect your options.

Of course, the kinds of jobs that penalize unusualness are typically not most of our cups of tea. But hey, sometimes you need to hire someone unimaginative and reliable-looking.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:32 am UTC

If you're going to be dying your hair an unnatural color, prepare for drama. Obviously it'll be more accepted in some circles, but other people will call you a freak. Stereotypes are stereotypes. They'll happen no matter what, so you'll just have to decide if the good outweighs the annoyances.
...It made more sense in my head.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:32 pm UTC

Two years ago, before I decided to grow my hair out, I had it short and spiky and bright red (I've normally got medium-to-dark brown hair). Previously to that I'd also tried my normal hair with blue streaks in. One thing I noticed is how you begin to realise 99% of the population have a really boring and narrow range of hair colours! A lot of people seemed bothered by my hair, but it was mostly people, including good friends, telling me I was too old to be acting like a teenager. I was in my mid twenties at the time, so I would usually respond by saying something to the effect of if you think mid-20s is too old to try something a bit different (especially something as unimportant as changing hair colour) I pity your outlook on life. Friends got used to it quickly so that it became a non-issue on the whole.

Fortunately my boss at the time was really laid back and it wasn't technically against work dress policy, so I didn't have any issues at work. Best of all, though, is standing out from the crowd just that little bit meant I got a lot more interest from the opposite sex! So I say go for it - blue hair is awesome!
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:43 pm UTC

For a lot of people it is considered awesome, fun or just something that is. These are the cool people.

For the less cool people it will be a problem, and yes, "wild" hair colours and hair cuts will make it hard to get a lot of jobs. I'd love to dye my hair either green, blue or completely black (or get a bright red mohawk), but since I'm currently looking for a job I'll wait until I got something permanent down.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:37 pm UTC

I put purple streaks in my hair for a play I was in. In order to make the purple show, I had to put some highlights first sadly, so now I have some blonde blonde streaks. Determined to take advantage of this, I next tried red, and then a blue-green.

I'd recommend using the semi-permanent dyes like Manic Panic so if you don't like it just wash your hair a lot in one shower to really dull it. I liked the purple in my hair. The red liked to take over everything and turned me into a redhead (which was okay, if a bit much) and the blue-green I thought made it look like I had algae in my hair so I hated that one.

My mom freaked out and was very upset. My brother thought it was weird but kept his opinion mostly to himself. My friends thought it was cool. No one at work (I'm a grad student, so work is in a science lab in a basement) said anything at all. My grandma thought my mom totally over-reacted and she loved it.

I think "odd" coloured hair is slowly becoming not just the "punk rebellious teen" stereotype, but it depends on what circles you run with as to the reactions you will get. Should the colour of your hair matter? Probably not. Does it still matter, especially in professional fields or where you interact a lot with customers? Yes indeed.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

meridian

Postby meridian » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:50 pm UTC

If you're already employed, figure out what your supervisor thinks first. It could be a dress code issue, depending on who you work for.

I've done my hair black, magenta with a slew of highlights (ranging from dark cherry to blond) and blue streaks and all over blue color. My hair is a light brown naturally. When I did go blue, I used the Manic Panic Midnight blue color and applied it to my hair color directly. It ended up a little turquios in the end (such is the nature of semi-permanents), but that was just how my hair reacted. The Manic Panic also has a shelf-life; you can re-apply as often as you want without spending more money (well, as often as your hair will let you).

Yes, people will notice and make comments, corny or otherwise, but my bosses always thought the blue brought out my eyes. :D I hope my new bosses will like it when I bring it up as well.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:42 pm UTC

I'm definitely a fan of dyed hair when it's done right, especially if it's an accent like a shock of a vibrant color.

That being said, when I was in a position to hire people I would think twice about hiring someone with an unnatural hair color simply because it does seem unprofessional.

Velict

Postby Velict » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:12 pm UTC

Unnatural hair color tones are commonly seen as a sign of immaturity (I'm not saying that this should be the case, but simply that it is). Dyeing your hair is also elective, while skin tone is more or less hereditary.

Personally, my reaction to unnatural hair colors is dependent on context. If the person with it is in some sort of creative profession (artists, musicians, and writers in all their permutations), I wouldn't so much as blink at it. However, I doubt I would approve if a lawyer or banker friend of mine dyed their hair the same color - such a thing is hardly freakish, as another poster suggested, but it's very much inappropriate for a formal work environment. And, of course, it's absolutely fine with me if the person is just a student or something like that.

Nath wrote:Of course, the kinds of jobs that penalize unusualness are typically not most of our cups of tea. But hey, sometimes you need to hire someone unimaginative and reliable-looking.

Eh, I would say that most jobs are just looking for people who are "reliable-looking" and can meet with a wide variety of clients without coming off as unprofessional. Imaginative people are always welcomed (and highly sought after in most business environments, conservative or no).

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:37 pm UTC

I agree it is a lot with how it is done. My favourite is when I had purple (In fact, I might put that back in because I still have some), I like that it showed up, but it wasn't "in-your-face" and actually for an "odd" colour I think looked good and somewhat natural:

And here it is in red, after a few washes to dull it (the Vampire Red manic panic loves making me a real redhead!)

Both of these I liked, because they were different, but not "out-there" and it was easily accepted even by my professors. Although, the purple is still the best...it's my favourite colour though.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:59 pm UTC

Standing out means you will have to repel the morals of the cattle. But, who cares about those? You didn't like them anyways.

So, as long as it rocks your boat, I recommend you to try it. An ex-GF of mine had her hair dyed pink and it wasn't that bad. At least I liked it.

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

General_Norris wrote:repel the morals of the cattle

look how trendy you're being
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

^Touché.

However, does the alt text apply? :lol:

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

That depends.

Do you like Ayn Rand?
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

I'd say go ahead. It doesn't matter what people think, and if you find it too difficult to cope with, you can just bleach it or shave it all off. It grows back eventually!
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

black rook in rainy weather

Postby black rook in rainy weather » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:55 pm UTC

One of my close friends has purple hair, and people that know her don't even notice it anymore. I've only known her a few months so it's still this incredibly vibrant aspect of her that makes her quite striking, especially in combination with her green eyes.
At college two people I've noticed very much as being very pretty have starkly dyed red hair and pink hair, and I'm sure the hair has much to do with it. Which is all to say really that blue hair will certainly get you noticed, and as has been said above, in both good and bad ways, depending. My college is largely artsy and vocational, and so perhaps more accepting of that kind of physical expression than an office environment may be. Someone else mentioned the example of a lawyer with expressive hair, and I was surprised that it made me think twice, and I realised that even myself who loves the right sort of hair dye or tattoo would have an initial judgement of someone with that kind of thing in that kind of working environment. And for it to strike as 'unprofessional'. Which is of course mere social expectation and makes no logical sense.
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being.
Carl Jung

BabyfootAssassin

Postby BabyfootAssassin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 am UTC

I dyed my hair blue in highschool. It faded to an ugly snot green/grey colour. Unnatural colours are hard to maintain. The most I'll do is some streaks of bright colours. I have never found a job when my hair was dyed an extremely unnatural colour.
1. Receive beating until opponent falls asleep.
2. Maul opponent’s unconscious body.
3. Realize that the celebration banana was a trick and that you’ve once again been led into a cage for safe transport.

crickets

Postby crickets » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:51 pm UTC

I have had hair EVERY COLOUR OF THE RAINBOW. Literally. And some colours that aren't in the rainbow.

Here are some hair dye tips:
Make sure the colour you're dying your hair is nice for your skin tone. Try wrapping your head in a t-shirt that colour to make sure the blue won't make you look corpse-y, because it does on some people.

If you have not naturally light hair, you'll need to bleach it first. This is hard on your hair if you do it yourself, and you need to be prepared for that. Also, blue washes out to some really strange colours sometimes, so be prepared to have to re-dye your hair much more frequently than if you were using permanant dye. This is nice, because it allows you to change the shade of your hair more frequently, but can get kinda pricey if you're doing it at home.

You will do it wrong, at least once, and it'll either look awesome or really bad. But it's just hair, and you can dye over it. Maybe have a darker shade than what you really want on-hand, just in case something goes wonky.

And yes, people will stare, and they will laugh. But they will also get REALLY EXCITED and compliment you a lot. If you work a basic customer service job and you're allowed to dye your hair fun colours, it's a good thing because it gives your customers something to talk to you about, and they like that.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:45 am UTC

I appreciate the comments some of you guys made.

I really do. :D

So I decided to try a single streak first. Then go full blue by valentines day if I like the results.

The Hooded Artist

Postby The Hooded Artist » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:56 pm UTC

I had some pink/red streaks in my hair in college and I always loved this dark burgundy color that was a permanent dye I could by at Walgreens. Um, I was already the weirdo Goth girl so most people I knew weren't surprised by the pink. My uber religious family members had a lot to say about it, but other than that most people were cool. It's been a few years since then I work in an office now and it's in the dress code that you're not allowed to have "un-natural" hair colors. They let you have tattoos and piercings though. Well anyway now my hair is a strawberry blond color. I'd love to do something more vibrant, but I don't want to get written up for haircolor. I'd say if you have no dress codes to adhere to or anything go for it. I'm always for personal expression. I hope that someday when our generation gets older maybe these things will become less taboo.

themonk

Postby themonk » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:53 pm UTC

Blue, pink, and red, highlight in a lady's hair is cool. Dyeing one's hair completely with colours from the rainbow, I feel, is difficult to pull off. I used to have red (read: neon red) for about a week, but then figured couldn't pull it off; haven't dyed it since. But then started picking to get an afro, and it was a success.
- click for the One Sentence Project (OSP). (Nothing to do with Oral Sodium Phospate)

MrGee

Postby MrGee » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:06 pm UTC

General_Norris wrote:Standing out means you will have to repel the morals of the cattle. But, who cares about those? You didn't like them anyways.

So, as long as it rocks your boat, I recommend you to try it. An ex-GF of mine had her hair dyed pink and it wasn't that bad. At least I liked it.

For every person who hates you over something trivial like hair color, there will be one person who likes you for it and one person who doesn't really care but says they like it anyway just to start a conversation. So it's a net win.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:27 am UTC

MrGee wrote:
General_Norris wrote:Standing out means you will have to repel the morals of the cattle. But, who cares about those? You didn't like them anyways.

For every person who hates you over something trivial like hair color, there will be one person who likes you for it and one person who doesn't really care but says they like it anyway just to start a conversation. So it's a net win.

[citation needed]

If you're young and not trying to impress old people in suits, having a funky hair colour is great. But I would recommend against it if you're about to go to job interviews, or you're in a customer facing job, or indeed in any situation where you're trying to persuade or negotiate. First impressions do matter, and if you go in with an unnatural hair colour, the first impression that person will get is "immature" or worse, "rebellious", even if they don't say anything about it. It's unfair, but that's how the human mind works. Once you get labled, it's extremely difficult to shrug that lable off, so you'd have to work that much harder to get what you want out of that encounter.

Of course, it works the other way too. Because if you do it well (and you'd have to do it extremely well), it can make you stand out without looking unprofessional. This can be turned to your advantage.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:20 pm UTC

Hell yes I have (beware, old images)

If you're young and not trying to impress old people in suits, having a funky hair colour is great. But I would recommend against it if you're about to go to job interviews, or you're in a customer facing job, or indeed in any situation where you're trying to persuade or negotiate.
That depends which job you're going for and who's interviewing. I went to an interview for Waterstone's (bookstore) and my bright red hair made a great impression - they said so. Broadly speaking though, I agree.

Everyone else has pretty much made the comments already: Some will stare, some will laugh, some will come up and congratulate you. You will also become a member of the elite club of bright-haired people, in which every time you see another bright-haired person you will catch their eye, share a wry smile and roll your eyes as if to despair at the state of all these normals.

I love it.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

beyondweird

Postby beyondweird » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:10 pm UTC

You will definately get a lot of attention for it, but it's not always a bad thing.
My hair currently is this colour:

I haven't had any nasty comments (yet). When I told people I was getting it done, they were incredibly apprehensive and didn't recommend it (even the hairdresser who bleached it for me first was like that) and yet as soon as I had it done, I got nothing but compliments - I think people find it difficult to picture and so don't necessarily realise it may suit you.

You may, however, get the situation I have had a few times - people asking for a photo of your hair. I've been stopped quite a few times in the street now and asked for photos, apparently it is THAT unusual. Saying that, it makes a great conversation point - I very often will be buying something in a shop and the cashier will end up asking me about my hair. I've had great reactions off older people too - one woman, about 60, said she wished she'd been brave enough when she was younger to do something crazy to her hair :)

So it may surprise you - light blue/turquoise is quite a good colour, as it's not as stereotypical as some (my friend has been red, purple and orange, and has got stereotypical comments. She's now pink, and no-one bothers with it)

So yeah, I'd say go for it :)
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

While I've never dyed my hair, I know a few people who have, and I've always liked the results. I think weird hair colors are really cool. I really like blues the most =).

Edit: I would probably dye my hair if it wasn't sure to attract alot of attention; I've never really liked being the spotlight. but now I'm thinking about it. Might be fun. /end mild whim
"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
— Oscar Wilde

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

I wish blue would work in my hair, blue/teals I like a lot, But it just does not look good on me. I learned the warm tones are what work well (pinks/reds/purples/havne't tried oranges or yellows yet).

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:40 am UTC

What's the difference between yellow and blonde? Is there one?
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:08 pm UTC

A friend of mine has a cyan highlight, I think it was down to an accident though, it was blonde before and then I think something went wrong when recolouring/reviving it, so it ended up blue. It's kinda between yellow and cyan right now. The fade tint is dependent on the underlying colour, so you may wish to go a different colour first, one that won't look so bad when it begins to fade.

nerdycoupleneedshelp

Postby nerdycoupleneedshelp » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:02 pm UTC

Back in college I decided to randomly dye my hair bright red (It is usually a very very dark brown, so it involved bleaching first). It was fun and random, but it requires lot of upkeep. When I let it grow it out looked like I had orange tips. =/

Complete with 2003 MySpace angle...

If you live and work in an environment where you can get away with it, I strongly encourage you to go for it.

tyciol

Postby tyciol » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:13 am UTC

You could try starting off with a wig and wearing Marge Simpson t-shirts :)

Return to “General”