S,m,artphone - What's the best on the market?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Noetherlite

S,m,artphone - What's the best on the market?

Postby Noetherlite » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:39 pm UTC

(For anyone wondering about the title, I appear to have a silent war with a m.od over getting it to say smart,phone. Thankfully they're pretty uninventive and have yet to predict the fullstops being added one by one :P . I'm expecting it to do something exciting each time I put a new dot in but sadly not)
(HA! Things have now changed, anyone who wants an amusing 5 minutes should check out the various options for interspacing letters and dots in sm,artp,hone. Mods have a pretty good sen.se of humour :lol:. Which m.od is this by the way?)

I'm thinking of getting a smart,phone for the following reasons: email, gps and a few organise my life toolkits like a calendar.

I'm in the UK... so considering Android(HTC, Sony X10), iPhone & Linux(Samsung 360).

Sooo, does anyone have any advice on the topic? Crappy hardware? Crappy on any on any of the 3 areas I suggested or particularly awesome?

Any advice much appreciated!

E.DIT: I don't know which m.od has fiddled the f.ilter so that smart,phone becomes stupidheadphone when posted :roll: ... Can't handle crafting an i.nternet rant against something that annoys you? As a forum addict? You're doing it wrong.

Although seeing the myriad of other words that are getting changed* atm, I think a different game might be being played

**E.DIT :, i.nternet, m.od, f.ilter.
EDIT:, internet, mod, filter

DOUBLE E.DIT: Well, found the f.orum announcement about the f.ilter; so guess I was right about the game thing. Enjoy the paraolympic slapsies everyone. Here's hoping the banhammer doesn't come my way for whining incorrectly.
Last edited by Noetherlite on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:53 pm UTC, edited 9 times in total.

Sir_Elderberry

Re: Smartphone - What's the best on the market?

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

At least in the US, many of these are tied to a particular carrier. Think long and hard about the coverage/contract type stuff.

For what it's worth, everyone I know who has an iPhone loves it, but the others aren't popular enough for me to comment.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

CHR1110

Postby CHR1110 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:10 am UTC

I've got a WinMo phone (HTC TouchPro2), and it's...ehhh...6/10 stars. I don't use outlook, so the whole outlook-friendly part of it is a waste to me. Honestly, I like the iPhone OS the best. People complain about it's flashyness, and the lack of multitasking, but here's the thing: Flashy is pretty to look at. Most people, including me, like to look at pretty/shiny things. And Multitasking? Heh, forced-shutdowns due to memory leaks are the biggest pain in the ass that I've had with any phone I've ever owned. And that's not just with Windows Mobile, it's with Android as well.

No comment from me with the Linux phone OS, as I still have yet to use it.

Noetherlite

Postby Noetherlite » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:27 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:At least in the US, many of these are tied to a particular carrier. Think long and hard about the coverage/contract type stuff.

Yep, I'm good to own all of the above and have checked the contractual gubbins (my main worry is there is no return policy if I fucking hate the phone, hence the research); cheers for the heads up though. 'tis good advice.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:07 am UTC

What constitutes the perfect phone depends on the person using it. Since my perfect phone doesn't yet exist, I've set up some google alerts to bring me daily news about upcoming ones. Based on the results from said alerts, allow me to recommend Engadget as the blog most knowledgeable about such things. Whatever it is you want to know, the answer should be on there somewhere.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

DesperatMezures

Re: Smart.phone - What's the best on the market?

Postby DesperatMezures » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

Currently, I own and use a T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream), the wonderfully ancient Android phone from back when Android was the new kid on the block. The two main advantages I see to Android are the ability to root your device and customize it endlessly, and the tight Google app integration. I'm basically on Google for my calendar, email, and contacts, and the phone integrates with all of them and syncs them over 3G, EDGE, or wifi, whichever is available.

Another great thing I've got is a wonderful app that changes my settings like wifi, bluetooth, ring volume and GPS, among others, based on keyword searches of my calendar. The nice thing about that is that I just set up a keyword search for "Lecture", and whenever I have lecture, my phone will turn the brightness down, go silent, disable wifi and data sync, and at the end, reenable all of it. It's a (paid) app called Setting Profiles that does this for me.

Another thing to consider is the possibility of running a smartphone without a data plan, as I do. I'm not sure about carrier contracts anymore, but T-mobile randomly canceled my data plan without asking me, and I didn't bother to call them about it because at Uni and at home, I have wifi. Plus, it's an extra 25 dollars a month cut from my bill, so I can live with no internet while I'm walking from one building to another.

As far as speed, my G1 is generally usable, but occasionally slow. That, however, is solely a factor of the G1 having only 96MB of ram, and as far as I know, most android phones you can get nowadays are far more powerful. The issue mentioned above with memory leaks is a real problem, but it obviously depends on the apps you install. I was experiencing painful slowdown for a while, and it was because I was running a home replacement app that was eating all my memory. It's easy enough to fix, though, just requiring an uninstall. It is an issue, though, if you're unlucky enough to end up with a poorly-coded app that happens to do that.

When thinking about custom firmware on the G1 or other android phones, the main advantages are little things, like backported features from more modern versions of Android, internet tethering, changing system fonts, colors and themes, installing alternative base system components (Like fancier lockscreens, different phone and dialer apps, etc.) and phone-wide backups. Basically, it allows you to change everything $Carrier would rather you not mess with, because it can be a nightmare to troubleshoot with a script in hand. With regards to backports: currently, the G1 runs Android 1.6 (Cupcake), but Android 2.0(Donut) and 2.1 (Eclair) are already out. Modders have been backporting features back from Donut and Eclair for a while, like the desk clock, car homescreen, multitouch in the browser and maps, and so on. T-Mobile shipped the G1 with Android 1.5, updated it to 1.6 last June, and hasn't touched it since then, whereas modders tend to release new versions of their roms on a biweekly or monthly basis. I think there's a general consensus that Cyanogenmod ROM is a good choice for those new to rooting and custom firmware; there's a very informative wiki and set of forums to provide guidance.

I can't say much about iPhone OS, Windows Mobile, or that newfangled Linux solution (Besides the fact that I suspect Android was the first Linux solution), but I do know that Windows Phone 7 is coming out soon, and most things I've read about it on Gizmodo and Engadget have been very positive. One of the biggest reasons to choose a smartphone is integration with your current computing life, and if you're on the Mac ecosystem, iPhone is a solid buy, if you're in the Google cloud, Android is the way to go, and if you're in the Windows, Windows Live, and Zune ecosystems, a Windows Mobile 7 phone is probably the best choice.

I hope it all helps. Good luck choosing a smartphone.
OLEANA, PUT SOME JELJEL ON MY WUUD TO MAKE IT YOOJ SO I CAN GO BAVOOM!

Cane

Postby Cane » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Noetherlite wrote:I'm thinking of getting a smart,phone for the following reasons: email, gps and a few organise my life toolkits like a calendar.

What do you use for email and calendar now? If you are using Outlook, then you probably want Windows or Blackberry. If you are using Gmail, you probably want Android. If you want the best webbrowser and games, you want an iPhone - unless you hate the iTunes software.

Have you gone to a store to see how you like the feel of any of them? That is what convinced me to go with an iPhone.
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

DesperatMezures

Postby DesperatMezures » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

Cane wrote:Have you gone to a store to see how you like the feel of any of them? That is what convinced me to go with an iPhone.

I think that's a very good piece of advice, as well. It reminds me of how when shopping for laptops, many will rush to the specs chart before looking at features like heat dissipation, battery life, durability, size and weight: the physical things, which really matter in a portable device.

Another thing: battery life is VERY important. All I can speak for is the T-Mobile G1, and I can say that 18 hours standby / 3 hours talk time is NOT adequate. Be sure you get a phone that can handle a whole day's heavy usage of mobile data and wifi, you'll be thankful for it later.
OLEANA, PUT SOME JELJEL ON MY WUUD TO MAKE IT YOOJ SO I CAN GO BAVOOM!

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Re: stupiderheadphone - What's the best on the market?

Postby crowey » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:35 am UTC

Cane wrote:
Noetherlite wrote:I'm thinking of getting a smart,phone for the following reasons: email, gps and a few organise my life toolkits like a calendar.

What do you use for email and calendar now? If you are using Outlook, then you probably want Windows or Blackberry. If you are using Gmail, you probably want Android. If you want the best webbrowser and games, you want an iPhone - unless you hate the iTunes software.

Have you gone to a store to see how you like the feel of any of them? That is what convinced me to go with an iPhone.

pretty much this, but I decided that touchscreen was annoying for typing and went with a blackberry. It's really very good.

Noetherlite

Postby Noetherlite » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:11 am UTC

Cane wrote:What do you use for email and calendar now? If you are using Outlook, then you probably want Windows or Blackberry. If you are using Gmail, you probably want Android. If you want the best webbrowser and games, you want an iPhone - unless you hate the iTunes software.

I run my email off thunderbird (uni email address), and have no electronic calendar.

crowey wrote:touchscreen was *fantastic* for typing
Actually or has that been fil.tered? So far I've not heard great things about the blackberry storm V1 or V2 (ie. blackberry touchscreens) - are you enjoying them?

Cane

Postby Cane » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:21 pm UTC

Noetherlite wrote:
crowey wrote:touchscreen was *fantastic* for typing
Actually or has that been fil.tered? So far I've not heard great things about the blackberry storm V1 or V2 (ie. blackberry touchscreens) - are you enjoying them?

Ha! No, he she (oops!) meant annoying (It filters to "*fantastic*"). If you're going to do a lot of typing emails and texts, a physical keyboard may be a better fit. And ditto about the Storms - worst touchscreen typing I've ever tried.
Last edited by Cane on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Re: S.m.artphone - What's the best on the market?

Postby crowey » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:32 pm UTC

she :wink:
and yeah, it was a filter. I have a blackberry curve and an ipod touch. For me, the ipod is rubbish for emails and the like, but the buttons on the blackberry are nice.

Return to “General”