Longboarding vs. Skateboarding

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Longboarding or skateboarding

Longboarding
41%
Skateboarding
9%
Both are awesome
18%
Both suck
32%

Total votes: 34

-KF-

Longboarding vs. Skateboarding

Postby -KF- » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:10 pm UTC

I prefer longboarding myself.

Kangaroo

Re: Longboarding vs. Skateboarding

Postby Kangaroo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:51 pm UTC

I, too, prefer longboarding, although both are nice in their own ways. I'm horrible at both, though.

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:18 am UTC

i'm really bad at both. i don't own a longboard. i do own THE MOST AWESOME SKATEBOARD EVER IN THE HISTORY OF SKATEBOARDING.
so, skateboarding wins.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:33 am UTC

Since this is in the computers section, I'm going to assume that by "longboard" you mean a circuit board with a lot of length... my graphics card is like that, it's got quite a long board, which means it gets in the way of my HDD bays... I had to move all my hard drives around in order to make the graphics card fit in the case. So I'm not a fan of longboarding.

I'm not sure what "skateboarding" would be in this context. Someone fill me in?

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

-KF-

Postby -KF- » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:01 am UTC

Since this section includes topics contrasting sci-fi franchises, fictional characters, and even fruit, I'm going to assume that it is about computers in name only. :mrgreen:

hotaru wrote:i'm really bad at both. i don't own a longboard. i do own THE MOST AWESOME SKATEBOARD EVER IN THE HISTORY OF SKATEBOARDING.
so, skateboarding wins.

What skateboard would that be?

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:10 am UTC

-KF- wrote:What skateboard would that be?

a black and hot pink one. with hot pink wheels and hot pink grip tape. almost everyone who sees it first asks if it actually is a hot pink skateboard, and then when i tell them that it is indeed what it appears to be, the next words out of their mouths are always "THAT IS SO FREAKING AWESOME!"

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

-KF-

Postby -KF- » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:11 am UTC

That is indeed pretty awesome.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:19 am UTC

-KF- wrote:This section includes topics contrasting sci-fi franchises, fictional characters, and even fruit.

In order: geek topic, geek topic (you'll notice that they're all sci-fi characters, as threads about other characters get moved out) and "because it's funny" exception.

I'll give you a chance to convince me that skateboarding is a perennial geek topic, but then I'm kicking this to General.

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

-KF-

Postby -KF- » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:38 am UTC

...So you mean to tell me Halo is considered geeky? It never seemed so to me, from what little I've seen of it. =P

And I would hazard a guess that many people might take up skateboarding as a desperate attempt to prove that they are not geeks.

But hey, if you still feel like showing off your modly powers, then go ahead. Having this thread launched off into a different section wouldnt really bother me, as it is merely the wanton product of excessive boredom.

tias42

Postby tias42 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:44 am UTC

I would like to know the technique difference between longboarding and skateboarding. Is it just a different style of board but basically the same experience, or are they fundamentally different activities?

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:33 am UTC

tias42 wrote:I would like to know the technique difference between longboarding and skateboarding. Is it just a different style of board but basically the same experience, or are they fundamentally different activities?

A skateboard is stiff (ish), has one or more kick tails and can be "ollied".

A longboard is long, flexible, flat along its length and tends to narrow off after the point where the trucks attach.

Main technique difference is that you can pump and carve longboards to maintain your momentum for much much longer...
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

-KF-

Postby -KF- » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:46 am UTC

Longboards also have larger, softer wheels, allowing them to roll easily on rougher pavement, so you aren't as limited as to where you can go.

Mainly, skateboards are for tricks and longboards are for transportation.

majikthise

Postby majikthise » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:42 am UTC

A half hearted attempt at impartial objectivity:
Longboarding Pros:
Smoother ride
Jason Adams rides a longboard
[For novices only] Easier to get from A to B without also visiting point C (face down on the pavement) than on a normal board
You look like a trendy, Billabong wearing, blonde dreadlock sporting surfer dude
Cons:
You look like a trendy, Billabong wearing, blonde dreadlock sporting surfer dude
Time consuming and difficult to make a smooth transition from rolling to pedestrian state
Associated with mid life crisis "down with the da yoot" adults
Inability to effortlessly hop up curbs
Unwieldy to carry/store under the table in a pub
No chance of doing tricks (unless you're Simon Woodstock)

Skateboarding Pros:
Wider variety of terrain to utilise
Virtually endless potential for tricks
Curbs are no obstacle!
Jason Adams rides a skateboard
Instant pop-board-into-hand-and-start-walking-ility
Short enough wheelbase for fast carves in tight pools
Boards like this (if you're willing to include pool boards)
Cons:
Likely to get stuck on small stones (unless you have big wheels)
Associated with little arrogant fuckwit kids (and Bam)
Challenging
Parts need regular replacement

Biased view (as a skateboarder hailing from the dark days of pre-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater): longboarding is OK either as a fun fad, or a method of transport only. Skateboarding is a lifestyle, whereby each time you pass a piece of urban architecture you instantly asses it in terms of radical maneuverability, you post on skateboarding forums, watch skate videos at home, listen to music you heard first through skate vids, talk about skateboarding with (some of your) friends, travel the world staying in places you'd never visit without skateboarding and automatically have something in common with anyone you meet there, regardless of other cultural differences so that it's generally cool to go out drinking with them and crash at their place after skating. You don't get that so much with longboarding. [/cliched romanticism]

Oh, and 360 flips/fs smith grinds feel gooooood.
Is this a wok that you've shoved down my throat, or are you just pleased to see me?

-KF-

Postby -KF- » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:48 pm UTC

majikthise wrote:Inability to effortlessly hop up curbs
I'll give you that. It can be annoying.

Time consuming and difficult to make a smooth transition from rolling to pedestrian state
With practice, it only takes about a second.

Wider variety of terrain to utilise
How do you figure? Traditional skateboards only ever worked well for me on very smooth pavement.

Skateboarding is a lifestyle, whereby each time you pass a piece of urban architecture you instantly asses it in terms of radical maneuverability, you post on skateboarding forums, watch skate videos at home, listen to music you heard first through skate vids, talk about skateboarding with (some of your) friends, travel the world staying in places you'd never visit without skateboarding and automatically have something in common with anyone you meet there, regardless of other cultural differences so that it's generally cool to go out drinking with them and crash at their place after skating. You don't get that so much with longboarding. [/cliched romanticism]
You kinda do, actually. Instead of urban architecture, you find yourself almost unconsciously assessing every road you come across that happens to have a slope in it. I talk a lot about longboarding with my friends, and I discovered one of my favorite bands through a longboard vid.

Both have their merits, I suppose. I'd say they are more or less equal.

So does carving a hill. :)

majikthise

Postby majikthise » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:29 am UTC

-KF- wrote:
majikthise wrote:Time consuming and difficult to make a smooth transition from rolling to pedestrian state

Ok, I exaggerated but a second is more time than you have when you're about to run into a bus/pedestrian which has just popped out in front of you! With practise it takes a fraction of a second on a skateboard.

-KF- wrote:How do you figure? Traditional skateboards only ever worked well for me on very smooth pavement.

I meant obstacles (banks, blocks etc), but you're certainly right about the bigger wheels on rough ground thing! Big wheels rule.

You kinda do, actually. Instead of urban architecture, you find yourself almost unconsciously assessing every road you come across that happens to have a slope in it. I talk a lot about longboarding with my friends, and I discovered one of my favorite bands through a longboard vid.

Fair enough, I was under the impression that there wasn't so much of a longboarding "scene"- probably just selection bias on my part!

You can do that on a skateboard too ;)
Horray for whizzplanking.
Is this a wok that you've shoved down my throat, or are you just pleased to see me?

-KF-

Postby -KF- » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:19 am UTC

majikthise wrote:
-KF- wrote:
majikthise wrote:Time consuming and difficult to make a smooth transition from rolling to pedestrian state

Ok, I exaggerated but a second is more time than you have when you're about to run into a bus/pedestrian which has just popped out in front of you! With practise it takes a fraction of a second on a skateboard.
Touche. Although if you have good trucks, you can always swerve.

-KF- wrote:How do you figure? Traditional skateboards only ever worked well for me on very smooth pavement.

I meant obstacles (banks, blocks etc), but you're certainly right about the bigger wheels on rough ground thing! Big wheels rule.
Oh, I see.

Fair enough, I was under the impression that there wasn't so much of a longboarding "scene"- probably just selection bias on my part!
Likewise. XD I had been under the impression that the skateboarding scene was mostly made up of 13-16 - year - old boys desperately trying to look cool while wearing tight pants. Thanks for allaying that notion.

You can do that on a skateboard too ;)
Horray for whizzplanking.
I suppose you could, though you'd have to either have really soft bushings, or just loosen up your trucks a lot, or both, to be able to shred it the same way you could on a longboard.

And hey, maybe my bias just comes from the fact that I never could figure out how to ollie. :P
EDIT: And also from this vid, but if I'm interpreting your sentiments correctly, that isn't as big a concern for the vast majority of skateboarders as the video seems to make it appear?

Chicostick

Postby Chicostick » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:27 am UTC

I've always wished I could skateboard. I see people doing it and watch vids and always think "damn that looks fun, I wish I could give it a try."

Unfortunately growing up on the side of a mountain with a dirt driveway and extremely rough roads that consisted of mainly either steep hills or potholes made it something that just wasn't worth learning. There's nowhere to skate in the woods. Guess I'll have to stick to nordic and alpine skiing.

n0mgoose

Postby n0mgoose » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:10 am UTC

Freebording.

...I feel a bit like a spambot, linking something with a post count under ten, but seriously, it rocks.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:59 pm UTC

Up until today I thought a longboard was a type of surfboard.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

majikthise

Postby majikthise » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:14 pm UTC

-KF- wrote:Likewise. XD I had been under the impression that the skateboarding scene was mostly made up of 13-16 - year - old boys desperately trying to look cool while wearing tight pants. Thanks for allaying that notion.

And also from this vid, but if I'm interpreting your sentiments correctly, that isn't as big a concern for the vast majority of skateboarders as the video seems to make it appear?

Haha, that video is awful! Perhaps it's slightly different in the US, but over here most skaters you run into are generally well adjusted people in the 18-30 age range (I also regularly skate with guys in their 30's and sometimes older). Sure you get the little kids trying to be cool as well, but I'd like to think that's more to do with how everyone is at that age than any set of fashion rules within skating itself.

-KF-

Postby -KF- » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:37 pm UTC

coffee wrote:Up until today I thought a longboard was a type of surfboard.

It's that too. However, I live in the northeastern end of the US, so 'longboarding' generally just refers to the variant of skateboarding around here.

majikthise wrote:Haha, that video is awful! Perhaps it's slightly different in the US, but over here most skaters you run into are generally well adjusted people in the 18-30 age range (I also regularly skate with guys in their 30's and sometimes older). Sure you get the little kids trying to be cool as well, but I'd like to think that's more to do with how everyone is at that age than any set of fashion rules within skating itself.

Yeah, definitely. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
And I can't claim to speak for the US in its entirety, but around where I live, you very rarely see anyone older than 18 or 19 on a skateboard.

majikthise

Postby majikthise » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:07 am UTC

-KF- wrote:And I can't claim to speak for the US in its entirety, but around where I live, you very rarely see anyone older than 18 or 19 on a skateboard.

This may be partly explained by older guys knowing how annoying it is for some punk kid to knock you over whilst you're trying to shop/walk to work/etc, so taking their skating either to skateparks or spots away from public places.
What kind of board do you ride?

-KF-

Postby -KF- » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:44 am UTC

majikthise wrote:This may be partly explained by older guys knowing how annoying it is for some punk kid to knock you over whilst you're trying to shop/walk to work/etc, so taking their skating either to skateparks or spots away from public places.
Except that there is actually a skatepark just a few blocks from my house.

Of course, said skatepark is where all the punk kids go, so maybe the older, well-adjusted skaters stick to the downtown areas and suburbs.

What kind of board do you ride?
An Off The Wall by sector9.

Low Caliber

Postby Low Caliber » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:26 am UTC

wooohoo longboarding!

riding a loaded dervish for carving around town, sliding and generally chilly.

for racing/intense downhill I my brother and I alternate between our landyachtz evo and rayne hellcat.

-KF-

Postby -KF- » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:18 am UTC

Would the Dervish be compatible with Gullwing Sidewinders? I was thinking about maybe getting a Dervish eventually, and I absolutely love those trucks.

Kag

Postby Kag » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:46 am UTC

Longboarding is cooler unless you're way rad at skateboarding, by virtue of the fact that anyone using a skateboard for just transportation looks like a complete tool.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:28 am UTC

How hard is it to actually skateboard? I remember trying to even get some movement going when I was about 10 and falling off and failing hard. It's probably a lot easier with some motor skills, I guess? Also I've never even seen a longboard :(

Low Caliber

Postby Low Caliber » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:39 am UTC

-KF- wrote:Would the Dervish be compatible with Gullwing Sidewinders? I was thinking about maybe getting a Dervish eventually, and I absolutely love those trucks.

pretty sure no, although I must admit to loving my brothers sandwedge (sidewinder series) whenever I can borrow it, I am pretty sure that they are incompatible with anything other then a sidewinder deck, unless you drill a new set of holes yourself.

one thing I must say, is that I love my dervish, especially with my new venom bushings.

markiiu

Postby markiiu » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:55 am UTC

Longboarding's more my thing, but it's all personal choice. I'm not a kickflipper, I'd rather cruise or bomb, and pavement isn't perfect around here so I need to go with a longboard for the stability. The dropdeck (I ride an evo) also makes pushing easier, as well as feeling more natural to carve and slide. Small wheeled shortboards are fine if you're into park, or if you never need to get anywhere, but I can cruise all day on my board without getting too tired.
Why not take the best of both worlds though? Minis are fun, as are longboards with a kick in case you really need to hop curbs, and then you have the smoothness of the big soft wheels with the manuverability of the smaller deck.
This topic really reminds me of the perceived hate between BMX and MTB though, don't make the differences bigger, we're all in it for a plank with wheels on the bottom, and you might see something you like in the other discipline.

-KF-

Postby -KF- » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:09 am UTC

markiiu wrote:[W]e're all in it for a plank with wheels on the bottom, and you might see something you like in the other discipline.
Agreed. A tip of the hat to majikthise for showing me some of skateboarding's merits.

Drop boards...hoo boy. =P Before I got my current board, I rode a shlongboard. I loved how low to the ground it was. However, the turning left a lot to be desired, and it was not long at all before the bottom of the board was covered in stress cracks. My current board is a drop-trough, just because the Sidewinder trucks are so high, but I can't ride it if I think about the fact that its a drop-through. For some reason, the realization that all my weight is supported by nothing more than eight washers makes it feel very haphazard. I don't really feel like getting a drop-deck, since they tend to have neither the quick turning nor the compact size (my board's only 34 inches) to which I am accustomed.

However, I do plan on trying some Original trucks in the near future, especially now that I've discovered that they are some of the lowest trucks on the market. Since I'm short on cash, I'll probably have to build my own deck rather than buy a complete board. =\

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

Snakeboard, anyone? Not that I can do either of the three. I've tried, and the effect was very similar to being beaten up by a road. Nobody was able to give any advice on how best to learn without becoming one large bruise, so I gave up.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

Return to “General”