Napping strategies?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lu6cifer

Napping strategies?

Postby lu6cifer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:07 am UTC

Let me preface this with the obligatory "I-searched-for-a-thread-like-this-but-couldn't-find-one"

Anyway, I'd like to know your napping strategies, because I can't seem to fall asleep unless I'm really, really tired or sleepy, yet I'd like to try power naps after school for quick energy boosts.
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

modularblues

Re: Napping strategies?

Postby modularblues » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:14 am UTC

I sometimes desk-nap with my favorite playlist on, that way I subconsciously keep track of how long I've been napping. If I nap on my bed I almost always nap too long.

Of course, I only do that when I'm working at home :P

hintss

Postby hintss » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:15 am UTC

lie down and sleep.
I've never tried this but: set an alarm perfectly timed to go off just after or before 1 or 2 REM cycles.

to ninja: genius, but how do you train yourself to do that

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:30 am UTC

hintss wrote:lie down and sleep.

Says the bloke who doesn't have a problem falling asleep, to the fellow who just can't nap. :roll:

I've never had any luck with napping efficiently. If my night was crappy and I need more sleep, the only thing I can do (successfully) is clear out two or three hours for an afternoon nap. I'll stare at the ceiling for the first hour or so, sleep for an hour or two, then endure a half-hour or so of painful grogginess until I'm ready to get up again. This ... is not practical.

I suspect I'd get better at napping if I had better sleep practices overall. If I always got up at the same time each morning, that would eventually (after much misery) teach me to go to bed when I really need to each night. That would teach me to fall asleep sooner than I do now, I guess, eventually. And then I'd maybe get used to that and be able to fall asleep more easily at other times that I need to.

Or not. This is all theory, since I often can't force myself out of bed unless I'm late for something. >.< One day, I hope to master this whole sleep thing. It's never been easy, though. (And to everyone for whom it is easy: count yourself lucky. And do not try to tell us that it really is easy (really!) and we're somehow simply not noticing how easy it is (really!), otherwise we'd be sleeping like babies all the time! Really! I mean, all those blind people, why can't they just see things? It's so easy for you, they must be doing something wrong!)

( :evil: )
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

acai

Postby acai » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:34 am UTC

Douglas Adams wrote:In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

hintss

Postby hintss » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:45 am UTC

I actually have my sleep schedule way off.
go to bed at 3AM
WILD attempts to 4AM

my mom wakes me up at exactly 7:36 AM

I sometimes take a nap after school for 2 hours.

Pesto

Postby Pesto » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:51 am UTC

I find closing my eyes tends to help.

jerome_bc

Postby jerome_bc » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:11 am UTC

poxic wrote:I've never had any luck with napping efficiently. If my night was crappy and I need more sleep, the only thing I can do (successfully) is clear out two or three hours for an afternoon nap. I'll stare at the ceiling for the first hour or so, sleep for an hour or two, then endure a half-hour or so of painful grogginess until I'm ready to get up again. This ... is not practical.

Yes. THIS. I tried taking naps at lunchtime at work but I just can't fall asleep and the very moment I start drifting away lunchtime is up. Every. Time. Needless to say I gave up on that.

I suspect I'd get better at napping if I had better sleep practices overall. If I always got up at the same time each morning, that would eventually (after much misery) teach me to go to bed when I really need to each night. That would teach me to fall asleep sooner than I do now, I guess, eventually. And then I'd maybe get used to that and be able to fall asleep more easily at other times that I need to.

I've had the exact same reasoning, but this semester I've been consistently skipping the only class I have before 1 pm, and getting up at 11-12, so yeah...

I'm utterly incapable of falling asleep at night, but I constantly doze off in class or when I read my textbooks. I've tried listening to recordings of lectures in bed to fall asleep, but it doesn't help one bit - I end up listening to the lecture - something I am completely unable to do when I'm actually sitting in class. By now I figure I should just go to class to get some sleep and study at night.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:47 pm UTC

naps don't always have to include sleep. if you have issues with traditional sleep napping, then maybe you should try some form of structured meditation practice. there are a multitude of types that you can choose from. you'd be amazed at how "rested" you can feel if you can get to a point where you can efficiently calm your brain and just "chill" for 30 min to an hour
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:27 am UTC

I've heard that you can train your body to approach REM sleep faster, which allows you to be fully rested after a short nap. The average sleep cycle is about 100 minutes, and you can supposedly cut that in half. It's sort of hard to do this, though... It's more in the realm of polyphasic sleep schedules.

Anyway, I'm commuting to college right now, and occasionally I'll sleep for a few hours in the back of my car. With enough pillows, it's pretty comfortable.

G0dzuki

Postby G0dzuki » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:58 am UTC

normally, i put on some relaxing music ... then sometimes i have to listen to grindcore or something like that. music in general helps.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:19 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:naps don't always have to include sleep. if you have issues with traditional sleep napping, then maybe you should try some form of structured meditation practice. there are a multitude of types that you can choose from. you'd be amazed at how "rested" you can feel if you can get to a point where you can efficiently calm your brain and just "chill" for 30 min to an hour

I was just about to post this. Rest is rest.

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:32 am UTC

I am unable to nap in a bed successfully, but couches... that's a whole different story. My best napping strategy is to put the TV onto a show I barely enjoy, curl up on the couch (preferably in a beam of sunlight, so I'm really warm, or if there isn't sun then with a blanket), turn my back to the TV and then listen I usually manage to drift off. But I'm absolutely unable to nap without the TV-Warm-Couch combination. If it is chilly in the room, if the TV isn't on, if I'm in a bed... no nap. Perhaps you just need to find your necessary nap criteria - Play with temperature, light, noise, napping location, etc until you know what works for you.

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:17 pm UTC

Thanks for all the advice! I'll definitely try some of the stuff suggested here.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with polyphasic sleep? Would it be feasible for someone (like me) who can't nap easily or on command?
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

EmilyR

Postby EmilyR » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:25 pm UTC

My schedule's *very* erratic, sometime's (rarely, thankfully!) I'm 9-to-5ing during the day, more often it's split up into several chunks throughout the day + late at night, with two or three 1.5 to 3-hour sleeps between, but when these occur varies a lot.

Normally I'll sleep for a couple of hours between about 4 and 7am (when I get home to when my partners get up (they've got pretty vanilla 9-to-5 schedules)), then go to the gym, sleep for an hour or two late morning/lunch/early afternoon (or now the weather's getting nice, more likely sunbathe :) ), then another hour or two early evening before going out (whether clubbing or working).

However, if I'm tutoring then that's usually at lunchtimes, in the afternoon, or early evening depending on the level and whether it's term time or not, so will affect when I sleep. Also, if I'm working with someone at the gym then that's usually an early start, so is only viable if I wasn't working the night before, in which case I'll have gone to bed about 11 or 12, and had 5 or 6 hours sleep, so won't nap at all during the day. This usually only works during the times I'm 9-to-5ing.

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

poxic wrote:I suspect I'd get better at napping if I had better sleep practices overall. If I always got up at the same time each morning, that would eventually (after much misery) teach me to go to bed when I really need to each night. That would teach me to fall asleep sooner than I do now, I guess, eventually. And then I'd maybe get used to that and be able to fall asleep more easily at other times that I need to.

I've done this quite a bit in the past and trust me, it works amazingly well. Once you get into the routine it's very easy to stick to, you get tired at the right time and it's much easier to get up in the mornings. It also improves the quality of your sleep, and I find I have a lot more energy throughout the day when I'm doing this. A good way to make yourself get up at the right time is to set up an alarm clock on the other side of the room, so you have to get up to turn it off. Then the problem is just making sure you don't go back to bed, I find having a shower straight away helps to wake up. When starting off it takes about a week of being tired and having a fucked up sleep schedule before you get used to it. Totally worth it though.

I've stopped keeping my sleep consistent this semester though, mosty because I have to get up at 5:30 for my early classes and there is no way I'm going to do that on weekends.

Return to “General”