ITT: A Gift for Randall (String Theory!)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

scikidus

ITT: A Gift for Randall (String Theory!)

Postby scikidus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:48 am UTC

Oh hey, guys, some of you might remember that I went to see Brian Greene a while ago, and got him to sign a copy of comic 171 (you know, to see if he actually had a sense of humor). Well, last week I met Michio Kaku at a roof-top star party in downtown Manhattan, and guess what?

Spoiler:
DSCN1523.JPG

So my plan is to get as many string-theory-related people to sign this and then present it somehow to Randall. Any other suggestions for people to look for? I'm in somewhat close contact to Dr. Neil Tyson (I know him from attending his lecture series before he hit the big time), so I could probably get him to sign it. Any other ideas?

Oh, and since Randall never reads the fora anymore, this is totally safe, right? :P
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

Yreval

Re: ITT: A Gift for Randall (String Theory!)

Postby Yreval » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Wow, you sure meet a lot of famous scientists/popularizers of science!

Anyway, Tyson might be cool just for collecting a lot of "big name" science autographs on one piece of paper, but I'm not entirely sure how relevant he is to string theory—maybe comic 473 would be more relevant.

If you really wanted to get a kicker name for string theory on there, Witten comes to mind, but good luck with that. He seems to be less of a public figure sort of guy than the other three mentioned.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:53 am UTC

Very nice. I don't think you'll get witten, though. tyson would be a good addition, though. Any other people who would be easy to get a signature for?
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:47 am UTC

Not sure about their accessibility, but Juan Maldacena and Leonard Susskind would be nice additions.

Or look for names here.

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:46 am UTC

modularblues wrote:Not sure about their accessibility, but Juan Maldacena and Leonard Susskind would be nice additions.

Or look for names here.

I'm noticing that a rather high number of string-theory-related people were born or work in NYC. Michio Kaku, Brian Greene, Peter Woit, Lisa Randall...there's a trend here.

And by the way, Tyson is vocally critical of string theory, so I think one way or another he's appropriate for signing.

Woit is at Columbia, which is easily accessible from my house (also I go there on Saturday mornings, hooray Columbia SHP!) so I could try to get to him there, after emailing him of course letting him know I'll be dropping by.

Two other people are at Princeton, which is a little more out of the way, and I've already stopped there for college touring. :-/
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

Yreval

Postby Yreval » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:10 pm UTC

Well, if you're on the lookout for vocal critics of String Theory, you could always mail it over to Lawrence Krauss for signature.

Return to “General”