Where in the World is J.D. Robb: A request for New Yorkers

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Where in the World is J.D. Robb: A request for New Yorkers

Postby The EGE » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:14 am UTC

So, I was putting books away today (I'm a library page), and I noticed the author image on the back of Strangers in Death by J. D. Robb, aka Nora Roberts. It's unusal because it's not just a stock photo of her in her house like most are; it's an obviously photoshopped picture of her against the background of... a subway train.

Spoiler:
JD Robb Subway.PNG

This intrigued me. I like to figure out where pictures are from. The R62A rolling stock and blurred red dot indicates it's the NYC 1 train. The Ho____on St_____ on the sign on the upper left indicate it's the Houston Street station. From the full length of the train visible behind her, it's either the north end of the northbound/uptown platform or the south end of the southbound/downtown platform. Beyond that, I can't figure out which.

If there's any folks on here that happen to ride the 1 train, could you help me out:

1) Is the platform ever this empty? if so, when? Around 3 am?

2) Stop for a few minutes, take a gander around, figure out which platform this is. The protruding plumbing fixture behind her elbow and the position of the track sign behind her might be enough clues...

Thanks much; I'm unfortunately not able to get there myself to satisfy my curiosity.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

scikidus

Re: Where in the World is J.D. Robb: A request for New Yorke

Postby scikidus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:05 am UTC

I'm going to just say it's probably the downtown line, taken pretty late at night, because you're less likely to have people heading to the business district at that time of night than the other direction, up to Penn Station.
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

Return to “General”