Why, around the whole internet, are moderators such dicks?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

teelo

Re: Why, around the whole internet, are moderators such dick

Postby teelo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:17 am UTC

somitomi wrote:Yet another forum locks every thread after 300 posts and a sequel is started if necessary, splitting long running threads into numbered chunks (the reason for this is a mystery to me).

Referring to 4chan by any chance? Can be annoying to keep up with conversations, but quotes help a little bit.

somitomi

Re: Why, around the whole internet, are moderators such dick

Postby somitomi » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:09 am UTC

teelo wrote:
somitomi wrote:Yet another forum locks every thread after 300 posts and a sequel is started if necessary, splitting long running threads into numbered chunks (the reason for this is a mystery to me).

Referring to 4chan by any chance? Can be annoying to keep up with conversations, but quotes help a little bit.

No, but I was willing to bet an obscure Daria fan forum wasn't the only site doing this sort of thing.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord◯‐◯―

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Why, around the whole internet, are moderators such dicks?

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:30 pm UTC

There are some forum packages out there - at least a decade, decade and a half ago - that when run on.... let's say more economical hardware.... will start having loading issues when the number of posts hit a certain amount or the amount of text in a thread and so on, which is why many forums started doing things like "When a thread hits 100/200/300/500/etc posts, it gets locked and a new one created" with the number usually being below the threshold.

That being said, after hardware and software upgrades, many of these places kept up with the practice, and with mods/admins sometimes cycling in and out, it's entirely possible the reason why was completely lost to time because no one asked.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:28 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:it's entirely possible the reason why was completely lost to time because no one asked.

My girlfriend recently realized that she's been doing something like that. When utensils are sitting in the sink, she likes to have them all facing the same direction, which is fine with me whatever I can do that... but she likes to have them with the business end of the utensils facing to the right, which is really awkward because since I've usually got the utensil in my right hand with the business end up, when setting it down in the sink the business end naturally ends up facing left, so to appease her I have to insert an extra step along the way of turning the utensil around so that it lines up with the other ones she's put in there. Just a week or two ago, she realized of her own accord how awkward it is to have to turn the utensils around, and pondered why she's so fixed on doing it that way when it would be so much more natural to do it the other way... and then she realized that her mom is left-handed and she's just been ingrained to do it the way her mom likes it, even though it's not her mom's sink she's dealing with nowadays.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

teelo

Postby teelo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:36 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:There are some forum packages out there - at least a decade, decade and a half ago - that when run on.... let's say more economical hardware.... will start having loading issues when the number of posts hit a certain amount or the amount of text in a thread and so on, which is why many forums started doing things like "When a thread hits 100/200/300/500/etc posts, it gets locked and a new one created" with the number usually being below the threshold.

Oh man, this reminds me of when I was a moderator of a no-longer-existing forum around 2003ish: People were e-peening over postcounts, so I decided to make a thread in a sekret subforum and use the "copy thread" tool on it, then the "merge thread" tool, and did this a few times until my postcount went up a few tens of thousands. Only problem: when it got that high, the "copy thread" tool started tying up server resources a bit. A bit too much. So long that it threw a php script timeout error. The server admin wasn't happy and nuked my thread :(

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:37 am UTC

What's "e-peening"?
―◯‐◯ FG Discord◯‐◯―

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:45 pm UTC

Boasting, typically about something online. (Refers to virtual penis measuring.)
Changes its form depending on the observer.

teelo

Postby teelo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:13 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:What's "e-peening"?

Pointlessly bragging/competing over something that really doesn't matter.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:19 pm UTC

teelo wrote:Oh man, this reminds me of when I was a moderator of a no-longer-existing forum around 2003ish: People were e-peening over postcounts, so I decided to make a thread in a sekret subforum and use the "copy thread" tool on it, then the "merge thread" tool, and did this a few times until my postcount went up a few tens of thousands. Only problem: when it got that high, the "copy thread" tool started tying up server resources a bit. A bit too much. So long that it threw a php script timeout error. The server admin wasn't happy and nuked my thread :(

Kells and I had a race to... 1000? posts on this forum a looooong time ago. I will admit feeling excited when I was on the first page when sorting people by postcount. We basically posted in fleeting thoughts in general whenever we could.
Your way, however, is ingenious.

To answer original question...the only forums that 'moderators are dicks" that I have run across - and by dicks I mean truly, asshats - are specialty / outdoor type forums where the mods are all old and have not done $thing in about 20 years but still think they know everything about $thing and it's their little Old Boys ClubTM. Which then often gets even worse when they figure out I am not male. How dare a non-male know $things.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:00 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Boasting, typically about something online. (Refers to virtual penis measuring.)

In my line of work, the the typical form is "shot peening". Hammer peening or ball peening sometimes come up as alternatives. I have never specced e-peening, though.

teelo

Postby teelo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:32 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
Deva wrote:Boasting, typically about something online. (Refers to virtual penis measuring.)

In my line of work, the the typical form is "shot peening". Hammer peening or ball peening sometimes come up as alternatives. I have never specced e-peening, though.

You don't hang around enough gaming forums.

Return to “General”