Tripping on nutmeg?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

xmrsmoothx

Tripping on nutmeg?

Postby xmrsmoothx » Sat May 08, 2010 6:37 pm UTC

I've heard it's intense. Anyone tried it? I'm thinking of doing it.
I LOVE having a signature. It makes my post that much bigger.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: Tripping on nutmeg?

Postby poxic » Sat May 08, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

From the sensations I got when I had a hypersensitive reaction to it, it makes your heart race and gives you surges of adrenaline or something like it. It felt like panic attacks to me. I didn't care for it.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat May 08, 2010 6:51 pm UTC

Most sources online point to it ranging from a mild feeling of "strangeness" to stomach pains, vomiting and hallucinations.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Sat May 08, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

Dude. Do NOT trust the Anarchist Cookbook on these things. Nutmeg did nothing for me and from what I've heard from people who did get a reaction, I'm kind of glad.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

tentacleTherapist

Postby tentacleTherapist » Sat May 08, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

...You can get high on nutmeg? :shock:
Tumblr-ma-doodle
Spoiler:
You will see my shadow
On every wall

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Sat May 08, 2010 8:56 pm UTC

Supposedly, it does work, but the difference between a dose that will get you high and a dose that will make you seriously ill is very small- as is the case for most 'natural' highs. Jesus christ, just stick to cider weed and mud like a good welsh boy. And if you really must take a hallucinogen, do mushrooms and acid like everybody else. Fucksake.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

wst

Postby wst » Sat May 08, 2010 9:31 pm UTC

Virtual_Aardvark wrote:Dude. Do NOT trust the Anarchist Cookbook on these things. Nutmeg did nothing for me and from what I've heard from people who did get a reaction, I'm kind of glad.
You have an authentic version, or one of the thousands of bbs-era ones that are just full of stupid crap like 'make a bomb by getting 20 match heads and taping them together with an electric motor with the friction paper on the driveshaft' >_>

Yeah, I've seen that in a 'version'...
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sun May 09, 2010 12:57 pm UTC

Wikipedia wrote:Myristicin

Myristicin is a natural organic compound present in small amounts in the essential oil of nutmeg and to a lesser extent in other spices such as parsley and dill. Myristicin is a naturally occurring insecticide and acaricide with possible neurotoxic effects on neuroblastoma cells.[1] It has psychoactive properties at doses much higher than used in cooking. Myristicin is a weak inhibitor of monoamine oxidase.[2] Raw nutmeg produced anticholinergic-like symptoms in a patient, attributed to myristicin and elemicin.[3]

Uses

In 1963 Alexander Shulgin speculated that myristicin could be metabolized to MMDA, a psychoactive drug related to MDA, in the liver.[4] This speculation has never been confirmed and studies with the closely related compounds asarone and safrole demonstrated that the proposed transamination reactions did not take place in humans. [5].

Intoxications with myristicin or nutmeg essential oil have effects that vary from person to person, but are often reported to be a state somewhere between waking and dreaming; euphoria is reported and nausea is often experienced. Users also report bloodshot eyes and memory disturbances during nutmeg intoxication.[6]

In addition to a semi-conscious state, myristicin also has been known to induce psychoactive effects such as visual distortions. The dosage required to achieve such an effect varies from person to person and from source to source. Nutmeg intoxication has an extremely long time before peak is reached, sometimes taking up to 7 hours and effects can be felt for up to 24 hours with lingering effects lasting 72 hours.[7][8]

It should also be added that when consuming raw nutmeg, only 5-15% of the mass consumed is an essential oil fraction, of which only roughly 4% is myristicin,[9] indicating that the amount present overall in the nut is from 0.002-.006%. While myristicin has been widely accepted as the main psychoactive component of nutmeg (along with elemicin), both the differences in subjective effects observed between nutmeg and synthetic myristicin, as well as the fact that myristicin is not a major component of the seed (therefore is possibly not present in high enough quantities) suggest that it does not fully explain the effects of consuming raw nutmeg.[10]

At best, it's like dirty, speedy Ecstacy. Avoid it, especially if you have any sort of liver damage. In my foolish youth, I found that consuming large amounts of nutmeg just made me feel a bit agitated, with a short temper. A friend who drank some pure nutmeg oil reported colourful visual effects, but no "actual" hallucinogenic mind-state.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun May 09, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

I'm reminded of a local politician from the '80s (Premier Vander Zalm, a retro blast for BCians). He's of Dutch descent, and apparently there's a Dutch treat that involves sprinkling nutmeg over cooked cabbage.

Thing is, he'd put a solid layer of the stuff over the cabbage, lick it off, then add another, equally thick layer before finishing it all up. It was probably a few tablespoons or more of nutmeg.

According to a friend of mine who was old enough to notice these things back then, Vander Zalm would regularly go through a particular pattern: hold a press conference where he put forth grand visions of wonderful things, and general megalomania, then be all cranky and headachy for the next couple of days.

Heh.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Trevor

Postby Trevor » Sun May 09, 2010 7:59 pm UTC

The kitchen cabinet is no replacement for your friendly neighborhood psychedelics dealer. Nutmeg is all-around terrible. In large quantities it tastes like powdered asshole and it is pharmacologically poisonous. All signs point to no.
Sometimes when I'm sick, or feeling blue, I drink vinegar. I like all kinds: balsamic, vodka, orange juice, leaves.

Chicostick

Postby Chicostick » Sun May 09, 2010 8:03 pm UTC

Kids these days and their nutmeg and "robo tripping." In my day we smoked weed!

Seriously though, nutmeg doesn't sound that great. I've heard Salvia is a really powerful high for a few minutes, and it's legal (well it is here, you should probably check your laws first). The effects are supposedly like LSD, only it's much shorter and with less dangerous side effects involved. Just do it with someone present and you should be fine. However, it's not a "party" drug, you can't really function while you're high on it, and it doesn't last long enough for lots of people to all do it together for awhile.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun May 09, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

Salvia is probably your best bet if you want a legal trip. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's there and it's potent. I found it pretty unenjoyable, the visuals and delusions were FAR stronger than psilocybin mushrooms, but it lacked the psychedelic mindset that makes those alien sensations comfortable.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon May 10, 2010 1:19 am UTC

Some guys in my high school tried it. Apparently one of them saw an eyeball inna shoe.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon May 10, 2010 1:50 am UTC

Heard there's no such thing as a good trip with salvia. But man, any drug is better than the horror that is phencyclidine. Most other drugs just destroy the self, but PCP makes you eat other people's lungs or cut off your own face and feed it to the dogs. (both true stories!)
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon May 10, 2010 1:54 am UTC

I honestly don't see why you'd use a drug if you want a trip. There's got to be some kind of program for that somewhere. Search Google Images for random phrases, pick random results and apply random Photoshop effects to them. Far less dangerous and... um... not tasting like ass, as nutmeg in large quantities allegedly does.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Coin

Postby Coin » Mon May 10, 2010 10:12 am UTC

Ah, a pinch of nutmeg in the bolognese sauce and you're in heaven.
Not that kind of trip?'
Sorry...
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:01 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:I honestly don't see why you'd use a drug if you want a trip. There's got to be some kind of program for that somewhere. Search Google Images for random phrases, pick random results and apply random Photoshop effects to them. Far less dangerous and... um... not tasting like ass, as nutmeg in large quantities allegedly does.

You know, no one has ever OD'ed on LSD, and it tastes, smells, and looks like water. It's a pretty safe drug as long as you take it in a safe environment and when you're not stressed out. And it generally doesn't make you do stupid or bad things...just weird things. I wouldn't know by experience, of course.

If I could achieve synesthesia by crossing my legs and chanting...well, I guess I would do that, then.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Mon May 10, 2010 1:24 pm UTC

If you really really want to ingest something as awful as myristicin I can send you a synthesis for the bloody stuff.

But if you're hellbent on taking hallucnagenic drugs (it really really really isn't somthing I'd reccomend you do lightly if at all*), you'd probably be better sticking to the nice safe(r) illegal ones.

*yes there's a story behind that
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue May 11, 2010 9:57 pm UTC

You know, no one has ever OD'ed on LSD, and it tastes, smells, and looks like water. It's a pretty safe drug as long as you take it in a safe environment and when you're not stressed out. And it generally doesn't make you do stupid or bad things...just weird things. I wouldn't know by experience, of course.

Explain this then: A friend of mine's little brother once drank a bottle of what he believed was water at a gig. It turned out, in fact, to be liquid acid. Since then, he's been hardly able to communicate, or do anything more challenging than eat, walk around burbling and sleep. This has lasted, so far, for 7 years.
I've got nothing against people doing drugs for fun, especially as I'd be a bit of a hypocrite if I did. But it's irresponsible to lie about the effects.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:22 am UTC

Dave_Wise wrote:

Explain this then: A friend of mine's little brother once drank a bottle of what he believed was water at a gig. It turned out, in fact, to be liquid acid. Since then, he's been hardly able to communicate, or do anything more challenging than eat, walk around burbling and sleep. This has lasted, so far, for 7 years.
I've got nothing against people doing drugs for fun, especially as I'd be a bit of a hypocrite if I did. But it's irresponsible to lie about the effects.

Interesting. Do you know how many micrograms it was? I've heard of people taking as much as 1500 micrograms (at least according to Tom Wolfe) without overdosing or anything bad happening; in fact, I heard somewhere that the effects of LSD hit a ceiling effect at around 1000 micrograms.

I have heard of people frying their brains and being less able to function (not as bad as not eating, more like a somewhat permanent demented state) with people who have had numerous exposures to LSD (not just one "big" trip). Well, yeah, acid probably does change most people forever. And those people who develop dementia or a schizophrenic type of personality I thought were those who were already schizophrenic and were just the people who couldn't handle acid. People like Syd Barrett. Anyway, I think the following hypotheses could explain what happen:
1. There was more than LSD in that bottle
2. Your friend's brother was predisposed to mental illness, and LSD drove him over the edge
3. It was a really bad trip that gave him post-traumatic stress syndrome
4. My understanding about the nature of LSD is completely wrong, and having LSD (either in large amounts or even in small amounts) can make some people, regardless of their mental health predispositions or current environment, suffer from mental illness.

Now keep in mind that a "gig" doesn't sound like a relaxing environment (although it might have been for him, who knows? Jimi Hendrix took acid at his concerts and managed just fine).

I'm really no expert on this, like, at all. I'm just really into 60s culture and read a few books about acid specifically.

And I'm not lying. If I'm wrong, it's because I'm wrong, not because I'm purposely telling you mistruths.

EDIT: I haven't taken LSD or so much puffed on a joint or taken a sip of beer my entire life.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 13, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

Dave_Wise wrote:
Given the number of stories I've heard that go along the lines of "He took soooo much acid that he went insane and thinks he's a glass of orange juice and that if he tips over he'll die" that have no basis in fact, I hate to say that I'm a bit skeptical of this.

Granted, I know with the various doctor patient confidentiality agreements it's not exactly like that if we had the person's name we could just Google them or whatever, but..... I mean, for one - a bottle that you could mistake for water but it actually be liquid acid would be an absolutely fucking huge amount. We're talking "Semi-truck full of cocaine" levels here. I can't see someone in possession of that much taking it to a gig, much less letting it out of their sight long enough for someone to mistakenly take a swig. And no way they'd let the person drink the whole thing.. not without getting a crapload of money from them first.

Now, let's just say that it was 100% Pure liquid LSD. Doses of LSD are measured in µg. Not g. µg.. 1/1,000,000 gram. 1 Gram is 1 ml of water. Now, I don't know about you, but I tend to take more than ml per sip. But let's just say to make it all easy that he drank exactly one ml of liquid acid. 1,000,000µgs worth.*

Lethal dose is 12,000µg. So he drank more than 80 times the lethal amount.

Yes, I imagine he is quite fucked up.

Liquid Acid is usually transported in eyedropper bottles and other similarly sized bottles that you can easily stick a syringe or that have their own eyedroppers built in. Because that much is still an absolutely fucking huge amount of the stuff. A small eyedropper of liquid LSD as is usually diluted for use will .. oh, last you as long as it takes to go through an eyedropper of eyedrops, assuming you dose your eyes once a day. And just drop acid every other day. 'Cause, you know.. two eyes and all that.

And it presents a significant financial cost. So.. again, I can't imagine anyone with that much money in a bottle that could be mistaken for water letting it out of their sight, much less letting someone drink the whole thing. Sure, LSD is 5-10 bucks a dose (or at least it was the last time I priced it) but even assuming a buck a dose, a bottle that could be mistaken for water and consumed would cost several hundred if not thousands of dollars.

Now, I have no issues at all with someone taking a water bottle and dropping several doses in the bottle and handing it out, that I can understand. And I also have no issue at all with believing that if you're predisposed to mental disorders and you unknowingly consume several doses of a hallucinogenic and have no idea what's going on while you're at a loud, noisy concert surrounded by strangers in a dark environment and freaking the fuck out. That I can accept.

But no, he didn't drink a bottle of liquid acid. If he did, he'd be dead. Many times over.

*I'm taking the liberty of assuming liquid acid and water have roughly the same mass. I may be mistaken, and one's mass may be many times lesser than the other. If so, my math is wrong, and it's possible 1 gram of water only contains 40 lethal doses. Or 120. Could go either way. I'm also assuming damn near pure liquid acid, which isn't how you'd normally find it unless it was a bottle ready to make blotter with or something similar. But hell, even assuming it was diluted to the point where it's suitable for usage in drop form, that's still 300µg per drop, more or less. And I don't know how many drops are in 500ml of fluid, but I know that at a buck a dose, that full bottle's gonna be worth at least $500. And still be more than enough to kill someone.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_dose.shtm is apparently where you got the LD50 (lethal dose for 50% of people) from, but keep in mind that that's highly controversial, since there are no definite cases where people have died from an overdose of LSD (although it has happened with animals).

I think it's pretty clear, though, ST, that Dave_Wise didn't mean a bottle of pure LSD chemical, but rather water (or any drink) mixed with LSD. Since people don't generally carry around tens of thousands of doses worth of LSD around with them, as you said. And it's quite possible that someone could ingest a few hundred micrograms worth of LSD through a random bottle of water they found "at a gig", and combined with the possible chaos of the gig in question, could have experienced a major bad trip and now has post-traumatic stress disorder or maybe even schizophrenia because of it....but again, I'm pretty sure that you have to be predisposed to schizophrenia anyway.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 13, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

Sure, but that's not the same thing as "a bottle of liquid acid". Saying that is akin to saying someone smoked a stadium full of pot or snorted five pounds of coke.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Sure, but that's not the same thing as "a bottle of liquid acid". Saying that is akin to saying someone smoked a stadium full of pot or snorted five pounds of coke.

So? You're attacking him on semantics. It's highly possible that he's an expert on such things, which doesn't really change the point of the story, which is that LSD can mess you up. When people say they drink alcohol, do you assume that they drink 200 proof? No, that's silly. If someone told me they were drinking LSD out of a bottle, I'd assume that they were drinking acid mixed with water in a bottle. Because I'm not an fool and I don't take things 100% literally (even thought it's not actually literally ANYway).

Discuss what he's actually communicating, man.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 13, 2010 8:57 pm UTC

What I'm saying is that I'm skeptical of the whole thing. I've heard way, way too many stories of people taking acid and being fucked up for life and finding absolutely no trace of them even though it completely happened to this friend's brother to believe another one on face value. I've heard plenty of stories of people who'd already been diagnosed with various manias and so forth doing it and getting worse, and I've heard plenty of stories of how someone did acid and ten years later they're diagnosed as manic depressive or what have you, but I've never tracked a story with a reliable "Person did acid. Immediately/Within several months, Person was diagnosed as X. The only cause we can conclude is that LSD fucked their brain-pan"

And that's probably unfair of me, to dismiss a story like that as probably not happening or not happening in exactly that way.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu May 13, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

the majority of people who end up with the symptoms you're describing after the ingestion of a substance are RARELY put in this condition as a direct result of the substance. IN GENERAL the condition you're describing is the result of a MASSIVE stroke that was induced by the increase in blood pressure brought on by the stress of the substance being ingested. There are very few substances that you can ingest orally that will immediately and irreparably effect brain tissue/function. MOST physical damage to the human brain by an ingested substance is a cumulative effect caused by deprivation of oxygen to the brain cells themselves (there are some chemicals that will enter the brain tissue itself after consumption that can cause immediate death of brain cells, but even at high doses it's still localized damage). The most common event that will cause wide spread oxygen deprivation in the brain is a stroke.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu May 13, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

So? You're attacking him on semantics. It's highly possible that he's an expert on such things, which doesn't really change the point of the story, which is that LSD can mess you up. When people say they drink alcohol, do you assume that they drink 200 proof? No, that's silly. If someone told me they were drinking LSD out of a bottle, I'd assume that they were drinking acid mixed with water in a bottle. Because I'm not an fool and I don't take things 100% literally (even thought it's not actually literally ANYway).
the semantics used by the poster show a deep lack of knowledge on the subject. as talon stated, it's EXTREMELY improbable that a drug dealer, who has paid a considerable amount of money for a large quantity of a substance, that if found to be in his possession will send him to jail, would be irresponsible enough to bring an already, MASSIVELY dosed bottle of liquid acid to a show full of LOTS of people he doesn't know, and then SUBSEQUENTLY "lose track" of this bottle long enough for someone to unwittingly take a swig.

even if this isn't an experience dealer, the chances of a recreational user bringing a bottle full of MASSIVELY dosed water to a show, and AGAIN "losing track of it" are really low.

most of all acid that's dealt at shows is on a blotter already or in a sugar cube, it's still quite rare (at least in my experience) for someone to bring liquid to a show because it's really difficult to properly dispense.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:What I'm saying is that I'm skeptical of the whole thing. I've heard way, way too many stories of people taking acid and being fucked up for life and finding absolutely no trace of them even though it completely happened to this friend's brother to believe another one on face value. I've heard plenty of stories of people who'd already been diagnosed with various manias and so forth doing it and getting worse, and I've heard plenty of stories of how someone did acid and ten years later they're diagnosed as manic depressive or what have you, but I've never tracked a story with a reliable "Person did acid. Immediately/Within several months, Person was diagnosed as X. The only cause we can conclude is that LSD fucked their brain-pan"

And that's probably unfair of me, to dismiss a story like that as probably not happening or not happening in exactly that way.
Of course, and I'm highly skeptical of the story as well. It is highly suggestive of "My friend's cousin once grew a boner so big that fifteen people sat on it before it broke" (that was actually a quote from a video we watched in sex ed). But assume that the Dave_Wise is being sincere, that he actually believes his brother's friend is in a permanent semi-catatonic state because he took LSD. If he sincerely believes this, then it's actually quite probable that there's truth in it. Since a friend's brother isn't that many degrees away from him. Assuming Dave is being sincere, the only weak link in the chain is his friend, who would have been the one who told him about his brother (assuming Dave hasn't met him himself). So assuming that Dave and his friend aren't liars, then it's 99% likely that there are major problem's with the friend's brother. And it probably has nothing to do with LSD, sure, but it is something to consider. And it's very probable that LSD worsened the condition.

The fact that Dave Wise thinks that it was a full bottle of LSD (which we don't know for sure, since someone saying they're drinking acid will just make me think they're drinking something laced like acid, because I'm not an idiot, and the "liquid" part could be indicative of general ignorance of the matter; maybe Dave Wise actually thinks such a thing is unusual enough to warrant mention) is irrelevant, since, assuming he's being sincere, there is a guy who's messed the hell up. Could it be the LSD? Yes, it very well could be! I'm just addressing the fact that he seems to think it's due solely to the LSD, while I think it probably isn't. He took exception to my saying that LSD is safe as long as you're in a safe environment, remember.

So I'm just assuming he's not flat-out lying and considering the possibility that there is some truth to what he's saying, even if he has a few facts wrong. While you guys are attacking the possibility that anything even close to what he's describing has happened, when really it might have happened, and he will have no insight into the issue and what was more realistically to have happened,.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 13, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

Fair.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Fri May 14, 2010 1:36 am UTC

There's a lesson in that story, and it has nothing to do with the pros and cons of acid. Don't consume things you haven't purchased and held onto yourself, especially not somewhere crowded, dark and impersonal.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri May 14, 2010 8:21 pm UTC

Well, what do you know, four local kids were just sent to hospital from OD:ing on nutmeg. Kidney damage and the works.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Coin

Postby Coin » Fri May 28, 2010 2:14 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Well, what do you know, four local kids were just sent to hospital from OD:ing on nutmeg. Kidney damage and the works.

You would think that they'd have better things to do with summer around the door...
*goes back to chasing kids of my lawn*
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Sun May 30, 2010 12:31 am UTC

Interesting. Do you know how many micrograms it was? I've heard of people taking as much as 1500 micrograms (at least according to Tom Wolfe) without overdosing or anything bad happening; in fact, I heard somewhere that the effects of LSD hit a ceiling effect at around 1000 micrograms.

I have heard of people frying their brains and being less able to function (not as bad as not eating, more like a somewhat permanent demented state) with people who have had numerous exposures to LSD (not just one "big" trip). Well, yeah, acid probably does change most people forever. And those people who develop dementia or a schizophrenic type of personality I thought were those who were already schizophrenic and were just the people who couldn't handle acid. People like Syd Barrett. Anyway, I think the following hypotheses could explain what happen:
1. There was more than LSD in that bottle
2. Your friend's brother was predisposed to mental illness, and LSD drove him over the edge
3. It was a really bad trip that gave him post-traumatic stress syndrome
4. My understanding about the nature of LSD is completely wrong, and having LSD (either in large amounts or even in small amounts) can make some people, regardless of their mental health predispositions or current environment, suffer from mental illness.
And yeah, the real moral of the story is to be very careful about drinking random things at parties, especially that sort of party. Whenever me or my friend (you'll appreciate I don't want to give her name out on the internet, as I had the lack of foresight to use my real name as my username) take drugs or are hanging around people who are these days, we don't drink anything we haven't poured ourselves.

Now keep in mind that a "gig" doesn't sound like a relaxing environment (although it might have been for him, who knows? Jimi Hendrix took acid at his concerts and managed just fine).

I'm really no expert on this, like, at all. I'm just really into 60s culture and read a few books about acid specifically.

And I'm not lying. If I'm wrong, it's because I'm wrong, not because I'm purposely telling you mistruths.

EDIT: I haven't taken LSD or so much puffed on a joint or taken a sip of beer my entire life.

Oh, fair enough. It's just you meet so many old hippies that will tell you LSD is perfectly harmless because of some kind of odd philosophy. 'relatively harmless' I can accept, and 'certainly no more dangerous than alchohol or nicotine' is virtually a given. But 'perfectly harmless' makes me a bit wary. And the stuff about LSD-inspired music always struck me as a bit odd. It's like people who think that if you want to play like Charlie Parker you should take heroin.
I have no idea what the actual amount of the stuff was. I've met the guy, actually. He communicates to a certain degree, but it's impossible to have a conversation with him. He *might* have been pre-disposed to mental illness, as there is something of a history of that in my friend's family. But is it really a good idea to take a drug that has that kind of effect on people who are 'pre-disposed to mental illness'. The way that acidy people always say that you 'have to be the right kind of person' etc. always struck me as suspicious. The details I'm not sure on, as I only know what my friend has told me about the incident itself, but apparently 'gig' is something of a misnomer. It was sort of an open-air festival-cum-show. This, if you're familiar with this area of south west wales, explains why there might have been a lot of acid about. I know absolutely nothing about the pharmacology of acid, and it's something I've only ever done once so I have no idea whether the story is entirely plausible or not. I've no reason to think she's lying to me, though. Presumably, like any drug, the more often you take it the less effect it has, and the kind of preparation that a heavy user would take would have unpleasant effects on a teenager new to the drug. I still think it's perfectly possible for somebody to become very screwed up by taking large amounts of acid irrespective of the situation they find themselves in.
-a friend.

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Sun May 30, 2010 5:20 pm UTC

I don't know anything about acid and permanent brain damage (DSenette's stroke theory sounds plausible, and in any case points out that one should also consider the possible indirect effects and ramifications of taking a drug).

I do know my boyfriend and a close friend of his both refuse to touch acid ever again, after the friend took a few too many doses one time, flipped his shit, and became violent. I'm not against drugs/hallucinogens, but I definitely think people should be aware of the potential risks involved. LSD is obviously a substance that should not be taken lightly.

(edit) Oh yeah, and I would definitely rather take acid than nutmeg. I read about that in high school, thought it sounded kind of neat, then after thorough perusal of the Erowid vaults came to the conclusion that it was just a BAD idea. The amount of potential fun (IF you even achieve any fun) does not sound awesome enough to outweigh the shitty side-effects and damage.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:22 am UTC

Dave_Wise wrote:Presumably, like any drug, the more often you take it the less effect it has, and the kind of preparation that a heavy user would take would have unpleasant effects on a teenager new to the drug.

Tolerance to LSD builds up incredibly quickly (to the point that you become effectively immune to the effects) and dies away just as fast. Further, the way LSD works means that there is no difference in effects between taking a minimal dose and taking as much LSD as you can get your hands on. In short, a "heavy user" and a first-time user will take the same dose to get the same effect.

bbq

Postby bbq » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:35 pm UTC

Hey, I did nutmeg.

I can't remember the exact dose I did, but the only bad thing about the whole experience was trying to get the damn stuff down me. Jesus, thats awful. Eventually we mixed it with sugar and coffee powder (to mask the taste) and gulped it down with orange juice.

It wasn't really a 'trip', but I did get a warm happy stoned feeling that lasted about 12 hours, not hallucinogenic at all. I tried it two more times with generally favourable results, apart from getting terrible drymouth one time.

The effective dose is very close to the fatal dose, but its not that damn hard to measure it out. I think I copied the amounts I needed off erowid. To be honest, you might as well just smoke a joint.

If you really want to trip off something legal, then dextromethorphan/diphenhydramine are the best way to go. Preferably dextromethorphan, I've seen friends take massive dosages of that and be fine. The only person I've ever seen harmed off these two drugs took a very heavy dose of dextromethorphan and 800mg of diphenhydramine (above what erowid says is a 'heavy dose'), and that fucked them up pretty bad. Obviously you should exercise some caution (and I wouldn't recommend mixing the two), but its a lot better effects-wise than nutmeg, easier to ingest, and the effective dose isn't so close to the lethal dose. I've had several enjoyable experiences with diphenhydramine, with some pretty damn awesome visuals (will explain if anyone wants), except it generally leaves you feeling a bit shitty the next day.
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

Return to “General”